Coffee is not breakfast.

Options

Replies

• ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't think breakfast is a necessity for everyone. Do what you want and what works for you.

Now for me, it is a necessity. I used to work a diner and then a bagel shop. I think my body is just used to waking up and eating. I always wake up hungry.

Now here's the shocker for everyone: I can't have coffee. It gives me stomach pains.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying my "coffee breakfast" as we speak. And I'm not stressing bout it :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters what time of day you eat.
  • steffihoney
    Options
    For me, it is usually breakfast. I am not really hungry when I get up, and really don't want anything to eat yet. So, coffee does it for me until I get a bite to eat, which is usually lunch.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    what time you eat doesn't matter. AND, it takes more than 1 meal, more than 1 day for your body to go into "starvation mode". I get so tired of everyone throwing that around all the time. One day being under calories isn't going to hurt you. Heck 2 out of 7 days a week being under 1200 won't hurt you. Starvation Mode is activated by a long period of *actual* starvation. Minimum, it takes DAYS of not eating to make it kick in.
  • KStambulic
    KStambulic Posts: 131
    Options
    The idea of needing breakfast to "jump start your metabolism" is a myth. Timing of meals simply does not matter when it comes to losing weight.

Personally, I've never been a breakfast eater, my whole life. I've tried to force it on previous weight loss attempts (because everybody says you have to) and had a miserable time. I'd be ravenously hungry for the rest of the day no matter what I ate, irritable, and just generally in a foul mood. Now, I usually get up around 7-8AM and don't eat until after noon. And I feel great, with tons more energy and a much more stable and positive mood.

If eating breakfast works best for you, do it. If not eating breakfast works best for you, then do that. Simple as that.

^^This is what I was going to say. And as for coffee being an appetite suppressor, even on the days I have only water not coffee in the mornings, I'm not hungry until after noon.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.

I'm with you. I don't get hungry until 10am or so. If I am hungry earlier, I eat earlier. I listen to my body.
  • Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    big (but still healthy) breakfast, small lunch, smaller dinner. it's more likely that you'll burn calories BEFORE dinner than after.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'd beg to differ with the folks who say timing doesn't matter, because timing does indeed affect your metabolic rate. The calorie targets MFP (or any calorie counting system) sets are based on averages and "normal" metabolisms. When your body goes into starvation mode from not eating in the morning, you no longer have a "normal" metabolism. Instead of burning say 80 calories per hour while sitting at your desk, you may instead be burning 60 as your body tries to conserve energy. Most of those calories you ate the night before have already been used or stored in fat or muscle cells.

Your body will start using muscle tissue for energy, which over the long term will bring your metabolic rate down even more. If you then eat all of your calories at the end of the day, your body does adjust slightly, but not enough to compensate for the entire day's reduced metabolic rate. So you may indeed struggle more to lose weight, even eating the same number of calories because you are NOT burning the same calories as someone who eats regularly.

Aside from weight issues, going through periods of starvation will also lead to spikes in blood sugar, making you more susceptible to diabetes. So ultimately, whether you're hungry or not, it's probably a good idea to eat something for breakfast.

Wrong on so many levels!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    NAY.. coffee is not breakfast. I am not even allowed to have it while I'm working with the nutritionist !!!! No caffeine allowed. It's helped me lose weight and my metabolism is going full steam!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, I never ate breakfast. A 12oz can of Mt Dew was breakfast. I wouldn't eat anything until 3 or 4pm and then I swear to you, I would basically eat like it was my last meal until I went to bed.

Now, I eat breakfast every morning (yes, it was definitely something I had to adjust to doing!). I don't find myself gorging later in the evening. I feel better overall.

I don't necessarily believe that eating breakfast ramps up your metabolism like so many articles out there want us to believe, but it definitely makes ME feel better. Course, I also find that eating every few hours makes me feel better too (again, for energy/blood sugar reasons - NOT for my metabolism).
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is an option.

Coffee, however, is not.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    big (but still healthy) breakfast, small lunch, smaller dinner. it's more likely that you'll burn calories BEFORE dinner than after.
    I burn calories all day long, all night while sleeping, and I continue burning them the next morning too!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I burn calories all day long, all night while sleeping, and I continue burning them the next morning too!

^^ This. Time of day does not matter.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    NAY.. coffee is not breakfast. I am not even allowed to have it while I'm working with the nutritionist !!!! No caffeine allowed. It's helped me lose weight and my metabolism is going full steam!!

The only thing that is helping you lose weight is being in a caloric deficit. My2C
  • wowmommy
    Options
    I don’t understand why one would drink their calories rather than eat them. Personally I only drink water, tea and sometimes coffee however most if not all my calories are in my food. I make sure I eat breakfast if I don’t I’m starving by lunch and we all know being hungry works against weight loss, you shouldn’t be hungry throughout your day. Lots of healthy snacks between healthy meals. Just coffee for breakfast seems like a waste of good calories that can be eaten and would be way more satisfying.

We are all different and our bodies respond to diets in different ways but eating right is universal, no matter your body type as long as you put heathy food inside, your body will begin to look healthy on the outside even with little to no exercise.

Michelle <3
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Wow, overbearing nutritionist!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand why one would drink their calories rather than eat them. Personally I only drink water, tea and sometimes coffee however most if not all my calories are in my food. I make sure I eat breakfast if I don’t I’m starving by lunch and we all know being hungry works against weight loss, you shouldn’t be hungry throughout your day. Lots of healthy snacks between healthy meals. Just coffee for breakfast seems like a waste of good calories that can be eaten and would be way more satisfying.

We are all different and our bodies respond to diets in different ways but eating right is universal, no matter your body type as long as you put heathy food inside, your body will begin to look healthy on the outside even with little to no exercise.

Michelle <3
    Maybe I missed it, but who said anything about drinking calories? Also, what's wrong with it?
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    I don't see how coffee can be considered as breakfast, but that is just me. What I say is "to each their own" and let people figure out what works for them. :bigsmile: Everyone is different.