Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Birdie,

Maybe you caught your "virus" from your computer???:noway: :laugh: :laugh:

I hope you feel better soon.

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey,

I also maintained during the month of December, and I still consider that a win, compared to past history. Now I am getting back at it. I have eaten pretty healthy throughout the season, but I am way off on my exercise. Long underwear not withstanding, I HATE walking outside when it is cold, and I have done some time inside my local shopping mall, but it is not as pleasant an experience as being outside in nature. My doggies and I have walked regularly, but they "amble and sniff", so the pace is much slower than what I can do on my own.

I loved your description of the 30K+ calorie gain as a whole bakery.:noway: Hilarious!!!:laugh: :laugh:
    I purchased the Jillian Michaels' beginners' DVD when it was on sale at Costco, so that is my next project, besides getting back on the walking trail.

There is one bit of new to report. Last night I talked to Barbie AND Jake on the phone!!! They will be visiting my town next weekend so we are going to get together for dinner while they are here. I am going to find out more about the Isagenix products that they are using, and I am looking forward to meeting both of them!!!

Have a good Saturday, everyone.

Barb
  • viliberty
    Options
    Thank you for your good wishes. I am already enjoying this great group.

I said I have a dog. Actually it 's by default. My son got him several years and couldn't keep him because "home alone" is not Skip's favorite thing. And since I am home most of the time.....the rest is history. He still goes home with Jim from time to time. He gets so excited...he hasn't forgotten who his "real" owner is. He already had his name when we got him. If you ask me, his name should have been Courage (the cowardly dog). He looks just like the cartoon character, and isn' t the bravest creature around. Skip and my husband have a lot in common.....a couple of old guys that watch TV and sleep a lot.

God Bless! IRENE
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I thought I would take a minute to say hello before my gang gets here. I have my roast of pork cooking and it is starting to smell very nice. I need to make some stuffing for it to be added to the roast in about an hour. Now time to peel potatoes, prepare cauliflower, get the sweet potatoes ready for the oven (just potatoes, no marshmallows, etc.). I hope someone decides to bring a salad as I ended up not making one. I also have not made a dessert, we have had enough sweet stuff and there is still some hanging around for anyone that wants some.

Sandy -- You asked about Neil's seizures. They have actually increased a bit over the last few days, right after I told his Dr. that we were getting some control. He is having 4 or 5 a day I think. He says he has been having seizures in the night but I haven't heard him and I usually do. I got a kick out of the facebook comments and I think it is wonderful that you remain friends with your ex. About the singing, my oldest was only two when he said to me in the car "don't sing anymore, ok mommy". Hmph, no way!!

Marie, glad you found my blog!! Does anyone else blog here? I hope to keep it up, I used to blog on sparkpeople regularly and found it helpful. So I will give it a try!

Take care everyone, must run. Keep smiling. Gayla Vivian :heart: :smile: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Thank you for your good wishes. I am already enjoying this great group.

I said I have a dog. Actually it 's by default. My son got him several years and couldn't keep him because "home alone" is not Skip's favorite thing. And since I am home most of the time.....the rest is history. He still goes home with Jim from time to time. He gets so excited...he hasn't forgotten who his "real" owner is. He already had his name when we got him. If you ask me, his name should have been Courage (the cowardly dog). He looks just like the cartoon character, and isn't the bravest creature around. Skip and my husband have a lot in common.....a couple of old guys that watch TV and sleep a lot.

God Bless! IRENE

Irene-:flowerforyou:

My three have a lot in common with your dog and your husband. They are all snoozing right now. The nice thing about doggie naps is it means no one is getting into trouble,:grumble: and nobody is barking!!!:laugh: This is the time I can refer to them as my "three little angels" :heart: instead of my "three little pigs":bigsmile:

Bradley is such a "momma's boy" that in order to not disturb my dad during the Rose Bowl, I had to take him with me when I went back outside to my car to get food out of it for our dinner. The minute I shut the front door, "barkity-bark." So he trotted back and forth with me while I unloaded the makings of dinner from the car, and he got some dirty looks :grumble: from the other two because he had momma all to himself while they stayed behind and chewed on their bones.:laugh:

Lafla-:flowerforyou:

I am sorry to hear Neil's seizures are increasing. I know you have tried many options to control them. It is too bad you are too far away from me, because you make that pork roast sound awful good--makes me want to show up on your doorstep with three little doggies at my side and a fork in my hand!!:noway: On second thought, for your sake maybe it is a GOOD thing you are too far away!!!:laugh:

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I read all your posts earlier today including reading some of them to Jake and thought about what everyone said and thought about what I would write and it just now realized that I never actually wrote anything.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: I've already started packing my suitcase and making my list of what else to pack in anticipation of driving south on Friday for the weekend and having dinner with Barb on Saturday night. We've been such good friends on this thread that we feel like we know each other well and now we're finally going to get to meet each other in person.......It was so great last night when Jake and I got to talk to her on the phone.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so, Barb, I'm talking about you in the third person as though you're not reading all this too. How did things go when you took your mom to the urgent care clinic? She is so lucky to have you to look after her.

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I'm sorry to hear that Neil is having more seizures.....is it tomorrow that he goes to the hospital for more tests? I sure hope they can find something that will help him. .....I'm glad he had a good time going out New Year's Eve.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I'll join your challenge to exercise 30 minutes each day, drink 8 glasses of water, :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log my food. We went out to breakfast this morning and I worried about posting my food (it turned out all right, but there was nothing on the menu that resembled anything I would eat) I had a yogurt parfait with granola, yogurt, strawberries, and blueberries........Jake had poached eggs, whole wheat toast, and hash browns......our friends had something that probably had as many calories as I ate all day....I put in extra time on the exercise bike and did about 20 minutes of hand weights and squats to make up for the extra food.

:flowerforyou: marie,I love all of you too much to ever leave........even when I forget to post, I read everything and think of all of you

:flowerforyou: Irene, our poodles are "people dogs" and love to be with us...we try not to leave them alone too much, but at least they have each other, the cats, and the TV when we're gone.

:flowerforyou: Jeffrey, thanks for reporting on Joe, the cat. Does he just hang out with you or does he get underfoot and in the way when you work out? Bernie likes to lie down on my stomach when do crunches :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Birdie, I hope you and your computer are both over your virus.......thank you for all the encouragement, inspiration, and good ideas in 2009....I look forward to many more great exchanges in 2010.

:flowerforyou: Beth, how did you do on your race?

I'm so confused about what day it is, it keeps feeling like Sunday. Good night and big hugs,:heart::heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Barbie-:flowerforyou:

To answer your question about my mom...we didn't go to the urgent care clinic after all. She spoke to the advise nurse, and instead is arranging to get an appointment for a second opinion from another practitioner. She didn't want to go to urgent care, possibly have to wait for an extended period of time to be seen, and be surrounded by people with viruses and other contagious things. I can't say that I blame her--not my idea of a good time either!!:grumble:

I also enjoyed talking to the both of you as well. I am hoping to post another loss before we meet. We shall see...

The doggies are unusually quiet tonight, so maybe we will all get a good night's sleep. :yawn:

I get to stay home tomorrow morning, since I went to Mass tonight, so it would be nice if the weatherman would ease up on the rain, and maybe we can get out for a walk without drowning. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: I am waiting for the tv news to answer that question.

So long for now.

Barb
  • Lafla
    Options
    Hi folks! You hear so much about Neil I decided to post a picture here for you to see him. Not a great picture but it is him at a wedding this past summer. Now it is 3 am and I have to try to get some sleep before morning. Marie will likely be up in an hour or two!!
    Gayla :heart: :heart: :yawn:
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am new to posting to MFP, and am checking out the site and trying to learn my way around. My goal is to "relose" 12 pounds plus an additional 5 pounds (17 total). The hardest part for me is the dicipline needed to do a daily exercise routine. I am hopeful that I'll find something on this site to really help me out with that major roadblock in myself! I am 56, definitely ready for Golden Sneakers (to go along with my golden halo, ha). DeeDee
  • Hazard
    Hazard Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello All,
    I'm resurfacing after the holidays ... I love reading all your posts and the fact that this site has made such a different to all of you.

DeeDee & Irene, welcome. I'm new, too. It's been about a week and I'm just starting to follow everybody's life a bit.

Sandy - I love that you gave us a push for the new year .. I am trying hard to do JUST what you suggested - log all my Calories on MFP, up my water intake and 30min. of exercise. I haven't been to "Anytime" Fitness in weeks - but did start to walk w/ my Leslie Sansone DVD. What is the other DVD that was mentioned that some of you seem to like? What is the difference between her and Lesie's?

Ok - so you are critter lovers and I enjoy all your stories ... but I am a movie maven. I LOVE the movies. I have since I was 7 years old and it cost 12 cents (10cents plus 2cents, tax). So - I'll give you my little review of the few movies we've seen over the holidays.
    - "Up in the Air" with George Clooney. He's such a looker and usually hilarious (though dry). This is a good movie (I think he's up for a Golden Globe for it) - but it is a drama, not a comedy. We went - looking to laugh. Good, but poignant.
    - Next, "It's Complicated" - NOT to be missed. Very funny if you like Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin (playing Alec Baldwin, i.e. full of himself, but funny) and Steve Martin. Soooooo good.
    - Then, yesterday, another - not to be missed. "The Young Victoria". It is beautiful, inspirational, a great love story and a strong woman model. Most of the pix you see of Queen Victoria (b. 1819, had 9 children and the longest reigning monarch) are quite somber, pudgy (hey! nothing wrong w/ pudgy!) and dark. In this she is 18 ... to 40, full of life and falling for Prince Albert. Encourage your daughters to see it and guys if they like history... it's a bit of a chick flick.

So - I love that feature at the end of our diary that tells us how much we will weigh in 5 weeks if we keep eating the Calories we ate that day. That's an eyeopener. I have lost 2 #, but it keeps telling me - there's not going to be much progress in the next month unless I lower my Calories or up my exercise. So ... here I come Leslie Sansone ....

Keep in touch - and thanks, Marie, for starting the January thread and finding me. Happy New Year:love: (those would be my movie (star glazed) eyes)
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Yes I am up early. 7:30 AM. About time I usally wake up. Thanks you Gayla for posting a picture of Neil. Today he goes to the hospital, hope all goes well.

We have no plans today except to watch football. Cowboys play at 3:00 today. will be trying out a new recipe for biscuits this morning, using coconut flour. It is a freebies on Met B. diet. They say it is really good.

Welcome DeeDee, Exercise don't come easy for me. Just have to make me do it. I do try to alk 30 minutes a day. We have some here that are really into it and they have done great here, Wish I had their energy. They will be giving you lots of tips here. Sammy and i have a game we play. I get 2 of his faverite toys and throw it and he goes get it After he get it i throw another one after he picks it up I throw
    another one.And etc. all thru the house we go. Lots of bending for me. Sammy is my 4 year old Jack Russell. Every little bit helps.

Hello to everybody else. and have a Happy Sunday.
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, this post is always so much fun to read.:bigsmile: I love that we are getting new people to join our fun group. Welcome Dee Dee and glad that Irene and Hazard have come back to share with us. Dee Dee are you from Hawaii, if so I would like to be your new BFF..... I LOVE HAWAII!! I was only there once about 40 years ago, but it has left an everlasting impression in my life. :heart: Unfortunately my second husband doesn't like to travel so I doubt I will ever get there again. :sad: Your goal is around the same as mine was and I only have 3 pounds to go, granted it has been forever trying to get rid of these three pounds but I am still happy with my results. I keep coming back because without the motivation from these wonderful people I could very likely gain all my weight back. :noway:

Hazard, thanks for the review of the movies, I don't get to the theater much so I wait for the movies to come out on Netflex. I absolutely love George Clooney and can't wait to see "Up in the Air". :heart: And again I love Meryl Streep and the trailer looks like that is a really funny movie. I have not heard of the Young Victoria but your taste in movies seems to be much like my own. :bigsmile:

Marie, you are an early bird, but since my hubby broke his shoulder I too have been getting up early. :yawn: He is finally able to do some things so I might be able to sleep in a little later soon. :tongue:

My son and his family are coming here from Portland, Oregon onTuesday for a short visit. They are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary on Wednesday and they are having a family gathering on Friday. My granddaughter goes to American College in Washington DC, studying journalism, she is leaving for France soon and will be spending six months there on scholarship from American College. My daughter and granddaughter from Minnesota will be arriving Thursday so I expect a busy week with family that I don't see too often. I am very excited!!!! :love: :love: :love:

My son that lives here just adopted a retired greyhound. He is five years old and although I haven't met him yet, I think I already love Cruzer as a grandson. :laugh:

Gayla, I am sorry to hear Neil is having more seizures, do you think it is the stress of the holidays? I hope when they admit him they can find something to help him. HIs picture is much like I visualized him, thanks for sharing. And your story about your son reminded me about when I was a student in Catholic Grammar School and wanted to join the choir. After a few sessions the nun said to me, Sandra do you think you could just mouth the words to the hymns? I think she ruined me for life.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Today is Sunday and like Barbie I keep thinking everyday is Sunday lately. I will be happy to go back to a normal week tomorrow. Have a good one everyone!!

Sandy
  • Lafla
    Options
    Hi everyone from gorgeous, sunny Saskatchewan! The snow is sparkling. I can see bunny tracks in my yard but never get sight of the bunny. My husband has seen him a few times in early morning. I am a bit bewildered about posting pictures. The original pictures (ie. Neil) are clear as can be and yet when I post them here they end up so blurred. Should I be doing something to prevent that? I had taken a bunch of pictures of my yard in the early summer for Marie as you enjoyed the winter ones so much. I think I will email them to you but I may try to post a couple here.
    As you can see we are still at home. They are waiting to discharge a patient before Neil can be admitted to hospital. They asked us to come early this evening. I think I may give them a call before we go to make sure there is a bed in the Observation Room for him. I think his seizures have started increasing again as his brain has adjusted to the increased med. It seems to be a pattern. This hospitalization is to look at surgery observation.
    Neil is ready for his bath, so better get at it.
    Keep smiling. Gayla :heart: :smile:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello. I am new to posting to MFP, and am checking out the site and trying to learn my way around. My goal is to "relose" 12 pounds plus an additional 5 pounds (17 total). The hardest part for me is the discipline needed to do a daily exercise routine. I am hopeful that I'll find something on this site to really help me out with that major roadblock in myself! I am 56, definitely ready for Golden Sneakers (to go along with my golden halo, ha). DeeDee

Welcome DeeDee,:flowerforyou:

I looked at your profile, and maybe you FEEL, 56 years old, but according to your profile page you are 35!!!! :laugh: :bigsmile: There must be a typo in your year of birth but you can change it from your home page area by clicking on "Settings" and choosing to update diet/fitness profile. :flowerforyou:

If you enjoy this thread, you may also like the 50+ women's thread under fitness and motivation, here is a link to the latest page:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74199-women-ages-50-for-january?page=4#posts-1012323

Some of the people who post on here, post there as well, Barbiecat, BirdieM and me are the three I can think of offhand.

Assuming you are in Hawaii, I, too, am envious. 35 years ago this last Christmas season I spent two weeks there (Honolulu) when I was in college, on a trip with my parents--had a blast.:drinker: :drinker: New Year's Day I awoke in the apartment where I had attended a party and walked back to the sailboat where my parents were staying. It was moored in the area near the Ilikai (spelling?) Hotel. I have never forgotten the sensation of walking, barefoot with my dress sandals in my hand, hungover:laugh: and marvelling at how much debris there was in the streets from fireworks. That was probably the most exciting New Year's Eve I ever spent. We visited friends of my parents who lived on a large cabin cruiser in that moorage, and the sailboat adjacent to them became our "guest bedroom" After one night of TRYING :yawn: :grumble: to sleep in the aft cabin while my dad (in the forward cabin) snored like a freight train, I quickly befriended some acquaintances of our hosts and arranged to sleep in an extra bedroom.:laugh: :laugh:

The most memorable one since involved slipsliding out of Portland in the middle of an ice storm so we could reach the place we had reserved overnight accommodations in, to attend their festivities, which included a great local jazz band. The weather was no better in the morning, so coming home was thrilling as well.

Marie,:flowerforyou:

So glad you mentioned the Dallas game. :drinker: :drinker: I didn't realize it was on in my area 'til I looked at the tv listings. I thought my only option would be to suffer through another afternoon of watching the Seahawks embarrass themselves yet again:grumble: Now you have inspired me to get out of here at get my walk in so I can come back and see most of that game.

Bye for now...

Barb
  • viliberty
    Options
    It is a nice Sunday afternoon. Mariah (4) and I just had our tea party, and she got the dishes washed. My granddaughter had a pretty wedding yesterday. The girls were all so beautiful, and the men so handsome. This was the first daughter for my son to "give away." He was very handsome, too, of course. I would put in a picture if I knew how!

I had my granddaughter take a picture of me to replace my current profile picture. What we didn't know was that my camera was set on video rather and picture. This is usual for me. I am electronically and computer challenged.

I have several friends in Silver Sneakers now, and two of them are in my state. Not close-by, but in my state. What fun!

IRENE
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Well I returned from my doggie walking a while ago, and since it is obvious that Dallas is going to win their game, since they are up 24 to Zip with about 10 minutes left, I decided to migrate over to the Seahawks game to see how badly they were digging a hole. To my surprise, they are AHEAD by 3 points, also in the 4th quarter, so maybe they will manage to win one after all. We shall see.....

Irene,

I am glad the wedding went well. The closest thing I have going to a tea party around here is that I am about to make a late lunch and drink some egg nog with a little Amaretto in it as "dessert":drinker: :drinker:

BTW, it is not too hard to add photos. Once you get a picture saved to your pc, go to your "profile", under "home" and choose the "edit photo" button. The next window will give you the option of browsing to locate the photo that you want to upload, and once you have clicked that into place on the window, just hit the green button to upload the photo. It will appear in your photo gallery on your profile page. You can change your avatar picture to any photo that you have uploaded on your profile.

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Barbs. I am doing the happy dance. Nice game. I took 2 water pills for my legs and ankle was so swollen and I had to Pee all afternoon. Hope it let up before bedtime.

Have a good night a;ll.
    Marie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Marie,

No wonder you are happy. Dallas played a good game. The Seahawks, on the other hand, lived up to my expectations--they lost again!!:grumble:
    I had a quiet day--thought I was going to stay in the rest of the evening, but my dad just called. There was a power interruption at their place last night, and now he can't convince their computer to go on line, so I have to go swear at it:grumble: and whip it back into shape. I haven't decided if that task requires the assistance of "the three little pigs" or not.:laugh: They are all snoozing. I hope I wore them out on that walk we took earlier today.

It is a good thing we got a long walk in today, because the weather forecast says lots of rain tomorrow. :frown: Ah yes, there is nothing like winter in the Pacific "Northwet." :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: It's almost my bedtime so no long post from me. We watched the SeaHawks game today and even though they lost, it was a great game to watch. I spent an hour and a half this morning walking at WalMart while Jake had a friend over for a visit.......later I spent an hour walking at the dog park while the girls played with a bunch of large breed puppies (Great Dane, Rottweiler, Lab, Huskie, and others)

:flowerforyou: Gayla, thank you for posting a picture of Neil,,...I wish him the best at the hospital and hope they can find him some relief.

:flowerforyou: Barb, our rain started not long after I got home from the dog park

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, keep checking in with us, keep posting your food, and start by walking and before long you'll get new ideas for exercise routines.

:flowerforyou: Hazard, My DH, Jake, likes movies and he buys lots of them when they come out on DVD so we're always a few months behind on the movies we watch. the good part about that is that we can pause, rewind, and watch the movie more than once.

:flowerforyou: oops, I was on my way to bed........I'll write more tomorrow.
    hugs:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Welcome, Sorry things got rather messed up after the race my 18 year old was in from Texas and we did shopping and lots of talking about his desire to join the Army... I have finally talked him into going to school first THAN going in the military... I hate that he wants to go knowing what I have had to put up with for 20+ years but maybe that is what he wants to do we shall see.
    I did OK at the race... I will say this... never run in 40 degree weather with a bad ear infection... kind of slows you down and all you can think about is throbbin pain in your ears.
    I started a new diet this past week and I am actually pretty happy with it... its more along the lines of eating like I am a diabetic even though I am not... I need to loose the last 20lbs and I will be happy.
    More later.
    Beth
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,117 Member
    Options
    Oh Beth, I am so sorry about your ear infection, that really sucks!!! You trained so hard to run in this race, but as tough as you are you ran it anyway. I hope you are feeling better and got some quality time in with your son. I support our troops 100% in every way but in all honesty if I had a child who wanted to enlist at this time, I would be worried. My two younger boys both joined the Navy and it was wonderful for them, one went to college on his GI Bill and got a wonderful job. :heart:

I hope to finish taking down my Christmas decorations today but the outside will have to wait until it warms up a little. :glasses:

Today I am starting the first day of the rest of my life. I will record my food, exercise and drink water. Who's with me?????
    It will be a tough week to start with my out of town company coming in, but I will do the best I can. :tongue: I am so upset, my scale is not working. I think I only need new batteries but I am impulsive and weigh myself everyday. :noway: I hope to fix it today along with all the other hundred of chores. :bigsmile:

Time to get moving if I want to do anything, have a great Monday.

Sandy
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: