Is there anyone that eats more than 1200 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    ridiculous the amount of guys on such low cals :noway:

I'm averageing about 3300-3500 at the moment and aiming to gain 1lb per week. (currently 181lbs)
    Exactly, you are wishing to gain - your situation is completely and utterly different to anybody wishing to lose.

I, too, would gain on 3300-3500 per day as would many, many others on MFP - hence why they are here in the first place.

I was on 1200 calories per day for six and a half months until I got to my goal. What is important is WHAT you eat when on 1200 - quality of food rather than quantity.

Actually my situation is exactly 1000cals different to if I wanted to lose.

Theoretical overweight guy at 210lbs has an estimated TDEE of 2900-3400. Why is it a good idea for him to be eating 1200 cals again?

I am not talking about that I am talking about somebody posting on a thread about weight LOSS only for somebody to come along say they are on 3300+ calories per day and then it transpires this is because he is trying to GAIN weight lol.

What the hell does that have to do with the OP's original question is what I want to know.
  • jinjin8
    jinjin8 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I eat my BMR as a minimum so around 1900 calories per day but I try to listen to my body and some days, I'm satisfied and stop at 1600-1700. I also have higher calorie days once or twice a week (around 2200 calories).

To date, I've been losing 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. I find my weight loss slows when I don't eat enough...
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    Bump:flowerforyou:
  • Hayley189
    Hayley189 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200, I'm perfectly happy. :P I do understand the maths of it and why most people eat more/eat back their exercise calories, but I'm a big believer in to each their own. I plan to eat 1200 most days, when appropriate, until I reach my goal. I've lost 35kg/80lb doing this, so I know it works. I'm rarely hungry, often struggle/eat nuts etc to build up calories.

Not sure why I'm justifying myself really. Haha.
  • Lemoncakes
    Options
    Supposedly I only need 1300ish in order to live for my body frame ... my profile has me @1200 calories daily allowance but I am starving at this rate so I workout like crazy in order to eat a Real dinner and even a lite snack... normally I would say I eat on average 1700 and aim to burn off 500 of that to meet goal. The days I cant make it to the gym are Killer!!! Truly a struggle ::
  • erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My MFP is set at 1200 calories a day and I have trouble reaching it most days without eating junk. I couldn't imagine having a higher calorie goal.
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Dietician recommended 1200 for me after doing BMR test, but said I could do 1500 if that felt more comfortable. I chose 1500, but generally aim to be somewhere in between the two. I am not always successful in meeting this goal, but I usually feel pretty good in that range.
  • AmberMahfouz
    Options
    I am doing great on 1200 calories, but if I do go over like 50-100 I don't freak out because I know its fine. I naturally have a really small build, and my "healthy weight" is about 20 lbs lighter than I am so I guess my calories are less for that reason. I find on most days I am not even hungry for anything over or even up to the 1200.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I'm averageing about 3300-3500 at the moment and aiming to gain 1lb per week. (currently 181lbs)
    Exactly, you are wishing to gain - your situation is completely and utterly different to anybody wishing to lose.

I, too, would gain on 3300-3500 per day as would many, many others on MFP - hence why they are here in the first place.

I was on 1200 calories per day for six and a half months until I got to my goal. What is important is WHAT you eat when on 1200 - quality of food rather than quantity.

Theoretical overweight guy at 210lbs has an estimated TDEE of 2900-3400. Why is it a good idea for him to be eating 1200 cals again?

I am not talking about that I am talking about somebody posting on a thread about weight LOSS only for somebody to come along say they are on 3300+ calories per day and then it transpires this is because he is trying to GAIN weight lol.

What the hell does that have to do with the OP's original question is what I want to know.

OP said she is losing weight in the post. The question is pretty clear in the title of this thread.

In 3 weeks I will be eating 2500 to lose weight. Is that better?

Also, for weight loss/body recomp/weight gain you're body sees macronutrients & micronutrients so the types of food aren't all that important. What is important is the total macros & micros.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stick to 1,200 even on a healthy diet. I was miserable. I'm currently trying 1,600 and not eating exercise cals back, and will see how that works.
  • jae28
    jae28 Posts: 8
    Options
    i eat over 1200
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1730 plus my workout calories. That usually puts me in the 2200-2400 daily range.

I was on 1480, but I plateaued. When I went up to 1730, I stayed plateaued for two weeks and then dropped two pounds. I'm sticking with eating more calories.

Feel free to take a look at my diary. I'm still plenty hungry sometimes, but I only have 4lbs to go, so I''m going to make it!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    1900/day. Maintenance/gaining slowly. My goal was 155, I down sloped to 145, attempting to get to 150 and stay there.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started off with 10-15 pounds to lose. I started at 1200 calories (and wasn't exercising). I was hungry and cranky. I started getting dizzy. Upped it to 1300 and did that for a while and lost some pounds. Started working out and I've been upping it as needed (if I start feeling weak in workouts or abnormally cranky). I'm now at 1670 and I eat back most/all of my exercise calories (so food of 1900-2000 a day). I've been dropping fat and building muscle so I've stayed about steady weight-wise but definitely lost some inches and gained a great deal of strength.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 119 lbs so I NET 1700 so that's usually anywhere from there to 2500.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting ~1.5 - 2 lbs per week eating 2700-3500 calories/day
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1750, and I usually net around 1400.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

A TDEE of 2900-3400 @ 210 pounds? That's a lot of exercise!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    A TDEE of 2900-3400 @ 210 pounds? That's a lot of exercise!

Not necessarily. If I magically weighed 210lbs today, my BMR would be 1946, according to the calculator on this site. 1000-1500 calories burned between normal daily activity and exercise is not too crazy, particularly for the people who like to get up and run in the morning.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If everyone is following MFPs suggested calorie intake, there are very few people eating only 1200 calories per day. 1200 is just the magic number MFP established to avoid "starvation mode".