Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Stupid questions - why?

Stupid people.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Stupid questions - why?

Some might say "Why?" is the best question.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I kept coming in earlier and earlier to beat the heat, but at 0600 it is still 80 degrees and 100% humidity. Switched to a treadmill and ran over .5 mph faster, one mile further, at a slight incline. I'll be back outside in the fall and cruising like a rocket sled (an old broken one.)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Because the heat in Chicago has been horrible this summer!!! I'm not gonna get heat stroke trying to run on the trail when I can get a good workout at home or the gym.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    One day a week is legs and back and after running I like to work on legs with weights. So it is easier to hit the dreadmill on that day.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I do both. And like others, weather is a big factor as to when I stay inside. I live in Florida and I just can't run as long or enjoy it when it's 80-90 degrees out with humidity or if there is a thunder shower. Also, depending on schedule, it's often night or early morning when I work out and it's dark. Also, before I lost weight, I felt self-conscious trying to move my big self around in public. Videos were a good way to get me started in regular exercise.

I have to add that I don't like machines, but will reluctantly use a treadmill in order to keep up some training if the weather isn't cooperative.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Um, the humidity is super uncomfortable and the heat on top of it doesn't make for a GOOD workout. Why NOT get fit INSIDE in the AC with a fan blowing on me and get in shape just as well as those who go outside to work out?

The answer to that choice is CLEAR to me! :)

Because some of us LOVE to sweat.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Because I get a more effective workout inside.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    also I cannot reach full wingspan on the treadmill.

not even close.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have terrible allergies and can't run outside.:( Plus, it is 100 degrees here with around 80% humidity every day and there is NO WAY I can hack that!!!
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I like doing indoor cardio for a couple of reasons. 1. I live in Western NY and this summer we've had sweltering hot days compared to what we're use to. I already have a hard time breathing when I do cardio (because I'm so heavy), when I've tried to do cardio outside, I seriously almost passed out. I had to sit down and really rest. Indoors I don't have to worry about it because of the air conditioning. I mean I sweat A LOT, but the air I'm breathing, feels good. 2. I like doing intervals on the treadmill, where I sprint for 1 minute and then I speed walk on a incline for 2 minutes. Working with those intervals on a treadmill, it is so much easier to manage and keep track of when I need to switch back and forth. It fits me much better. But believe me, when I drop down another 40 lbs and feel better with my breathing when I try to run, I will be outdoors.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Because EPILEPSY SUCKS!! and to be honest~ if I have a seizure at the gym while exercising I have a much better chance of getting help~ if I have a seizure outside by myself exercising I don't have as great a chance. There- that's my reason!
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Stupid questions - why?

Some might say "Why?" is the best question.

If it makes you less weirdly judgemental of people who choose a different method to you, then sure.

Did you get the answers you were looking for? Did you really need to ask to get those answers? Is it really so hard to understand different people like different things?
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things to consider:

1. Many may be moms with small children they can not bring.
    2. May be a mom with a sick child
    3. May not have a car
    4. May have allergies outside
    5. May be TOO HOT in the MIDDLE OF THE SUMMER for some people
    6. Bad neighborhoods
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    On any given day in my city it seems be 35c+ outside. Not exactly adequate running conditions. I prefer to workout in my home with the AC and a fan so I don't pass out from heat (like previous incidents) :smile:
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    even our running club takes precaution in the Texas heat. WEe shorten our runs and don't run if it is above a certain temp.

That being said, I'm sure safety is a big reason for many women. I certainly won't run alone where I live. Carrying a firearm is rather burdensome.

I don't really like the gym either, but when I can't run with someone, I have to hit the treadmill.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Throwing another vote into stay at home mom pool. I try to get out early on weekends for a run outside, but with the little ones being 5 and 3, it's either home or gym (which has childcare) for me.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I agree with you wholeheartedly but if you live in Ireland where it rains inbetween the showers the roads are so dangerous I live in the country no footpaths you would be glad of the gym,it hasnt stopped raining here since June I jest not I would go mad if I couldnt go to the gym,we would love to see even one week of not just sunshine just dry weather,you are so lucky
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Because I get a more effective workout inside.
    xthumb.gif