cardio indoors - why?

Options

Replies

• Karebear_68
    Options
    As you see, there are many reasons. Mine are

1. I live basically in the country. I mean it's 5 miles from a town but it is also right next to a hwy where people drive 65 miles an hour. All I have is my yard to run in. And it is not that big.

2. Some parts of the USA are stifling this summer. I live in one of the worst places. The heat is over 100 degrees every day right now.

3. I bought a treadmill so I could be indoors and like many people I know, hey I force myself to exercise. I don not look forward to it, love it. It is a thing I have to do for my body. So I usually turn on the try and try to not look when my time will be up or my miles reached. I sometimes work out longer because of it.

4. I am self conscious. I do not want anyone seeing me work out and sweating like a pig.
  • WhatHayleyEats
    Options
    People should exercise in a way that makes them feel comfortable. They're doing it for themselves, not for an audience.

This site is for SUPPORT, by the way, not JUDGEMENT. Take your arrogance elsewhere.
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom, and I normally take my son (19 months) with me on my walks outside when the weather is nice. But on days like today where it is already over 80 degrees at 11am with a dewpoint well into the 70s, there's no way in hell I would subject im to that for an hour, or myself for that matter! I would rather work out inside while he naps.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm new to running so I need a treadmill, it helps me keep a steady pace while I am trying to teach my self to breath without passing out from lack of air (hard to go from sedentary to rockstar without practice). However, if I can start breathing right while I run without causing those side cramps, I totally plan to take it outside because treadmills are soooooooo boring.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Because you can't watch Jeremy Kyle, while running outside.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Because I do my cardio at the gym before my weights. Also the bugs are brutal where iLife and I would be one giant bug bite by time I got down my road to start mt real run. It's also pretty hot and sticky out. While I don't mind running in the heat I have only done it during a race where there are water stops and fire Jose's to spray me down. Winters are freezing cold and the road I live on can turn into a skating rink. Plus there are all kinds of ruts and holes that are covered p by snow that I could stein and bust my ankle.

It's a personal choice. Just because someone chooses to do their cardio inside doesn't mean they aren't doing other stuff outside.

Also if I do a DVD it's to change things up.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    People should exercise in a way that makes them feel comfortable. They're doing it for themselves, not for an audience.

This site is for SUPPORT, by the way, not JUDGEMENT. Take your arrogance elsewhere.

I'm not going to lie... there are times on this site where I intentionally try to be a jerk or rude or whatever else.

This is not one of them. I had an observation, was genuinely curious about it, and asked what I thought was a pretty simple question - why do people do what they do? It wasn't meant ot be a judgement or criticism of anyone.

So what, exactly, about my post made it seem so arrogant?
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    Because where I live 5 or 6 months out of the year it's over 90 degrees, and 3 out those 6 are over 100. I can do triple the amount of exercise and not feel like I want to die from the heat. Or worse, actually die from a heat stroke. Besides, I don't enjoy running and there is no where to run or walk where I live. No side walks and no shoulders to the road so you have to run on the edge of the street that has a concrete ditch beside it. Same goes for biking. I take my kids to the park when I can but I don't drive because of my sight so it's ALWAYS at the mercy of someone else. There are no buses or even taxis.

The ONLY alone time I EVER get is at the gym so I use as much of it as I can.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Because you can't watch Jeremy Kyle, while running outside.

I don't know Jeremy Kyle, but I think we can all relate!

xthumb.gif for motivation!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I love being outside! But when its 104 out I can't run for long without being sick to my stomach xD
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    In my case it is too damn hot. Here in Dallas you are likely to die from heat stroke trying to exercise outside at this time of year. I try to get outside and do my exercise in the Fall when it isn't sitting at 106 in the shade. Gosh I miss California.
  • ahelgers10
    ahelgers10 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    For starters I am an indoor person and work at a cancer clinic, when you have seen what skin cancer does you don't enjoy the sun the same. Also cardio DVD's can be fun. I have dance ones that don't seem like a work out because its something different and its FUN! Some people feel more comfortable working out in a gym where they feel safe. If I go for a walk my husband wants to know the route I am taking because he worries about me.
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Flexibility mostly - can't get out every morning before work and have a baby at home in the evening so I can't just get up and go when I need to.

I personally love it when I run outside - I push myself harder and think I get more out of it but I still make the effort and try to up the levels at home so that I am feeling the burn and benefit.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Personally it's because I have severe agoraphobia and social phobia :)
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I live in Georgia, where it gets pretty hot and I'd much rather be in the AC than in 90+ degree heat (we had a 112 day during the recent heat wave); our humidity is pretty high here too. Not that I would be out there during the hot part of the day anyway because I do my thing at night. It's scary enough for a woman out there during the day, but I certainly don't want to be out at night running around. In addition to the anxiety of being so close to cars, I would be concerned about an attacker and dogs (I have been bitten and fear dogs I don't know). I also like seeing the display on the machines.

I really enjoy hiking and do so as many weekends as possible when the weather is cooler. As I stated, GA is awfully hot and I'm not a big fan of ticks which I've yet to get on me during the winter. Now that I'm thinking about it, I really can't wait to hike this winter.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I love being outside! But when its 104 out I can't run for long without being sick to my stomach xD

hey hey... you're alive!!!
  • bassanne
    bassanne Posts: 56
    Options
    I needed the gym membership as my motivation to get started, paying for it better us it, and now it is just a habit. I feel guilty if I drive by without stopping on my way home. Then I go out and enjoy the weather while it is nice out.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Because I like to make up excuses? :noway:

Oh wait, I'm a marathon runner. I don't make excuses.

All my cardio is done outside:heart:
  • trs80
    trs80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I spend an hour (+/-) every morning on a stationary bike for various reasons:

1. the bike gives me a count of calories burned
    2. it's a habit I've become used to and can count on irregardless of heat/cold/rain/sun
    3. I can stop anytime if I feel I have to without having to worry about how to get home (haven't had to yet, but could)

At 66 years old and still overweight, I can't comfortably sit on a bicycle seat long enough to gain any benefit from doing it.
    I also have knee problems and a heel spur(?) that stops me from running/jogging

I too live in upstate NY and just barely missed becoming a 46er because of health problems.
    I spent almost all of my time hiking/canoeing in the Adirondacks (which I sorely miss) because of heart problems.

I ride my bike(LOL) early in the morning so that I can still spend most of my time in the outdoors without having to
    freeze/sweat profusely doing it.

I hope this explains part of it for you.

Anyway, it's 11:00 am and the horses are off at the track (I also like doing horse photography at Saratoga)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The reason why I'd rather be doing P90X in my climate controlled bedroom today is b/c the humidity is about 90% out there, we are entering Heat Wave #6 here in Jersey and there is nothing pleasant about my weather conditions today! I have such limited time to work out that I cannot plan my workouts around the weather here. And when we get snow and everyone else is missing their runs or their time at the gym I'm working out in my bedroom before going out to shovel snow and clear ,my bus. I get about an hour a day to devote to myself and cannot plan it around the weather or when it's "safe" (5am in the Pine Barrons of NJ may not exactly be a safe time to go out for a run) so this is the only way that works around my busy schedule without the weather changing my workout plan for me. And remember, not all of us live in areas where it's safe to go outside to work out, especially living in NJ lol