You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    How is this thread still happening?

Are you sad that you can't think of a new snarky comment?
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You CAN reduce spots. Here's proof:

products_original232x234.jpg

Oh wait. Never mind- I misread the thread topic...
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Clearly your abilities haven't diminished yet.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.
    Shape is from genetics. You can't change the way your muscle or body shape is. You can "enhance" the muscles you already have by training them directly.
    And NO you can't spot reduce an area without surgery.
    On going thinking and misinformation like this without scientific clinical studies to back them up will just confuse people and cause desperate people on here to think it's possible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Whatever, I'm not trying to argue. We all know that average black person is going to have rounder shaped gluts than an Asian person. However, get the Asian into track and field and the black person into marathons, guess what will happen to said gluts? You don't have to take my word for it. Look at any female Olympian swimmer. Black white or Asian, they will have a wide V shaped upper body, tiny waist, fat layer all over. Look at any marathoner. Lean head to toe. Any track and field- large thighs. Genetics may have you predesposed to a certain body type, but tell that to those swimmers who look more like other swimmers than members of their own race.

That has already been explained earlier in this thread, actually. People with the right body type tend to be the most successful in each particular sport, particularly if you limit your observation to the Olympics.

Every coach I ever had has always said, "Never say can't"

Yes, at the Olympic level, most people will fail, but you can escape your shape, to an extent. And you can be successful at sports with hard work and dedication, even if you weren't "born to play."
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Not to be controversial BUT, I think the poster has a point. Certain exercises can make certain areas smaller or larger, and certain conditions you exercise on makes a difference. I noticed this while watching the Olympics and noticed that the sport a person played determined body shape even more than race. I noticed that the female swimmers, while having serious muscle mass also had a fat layer for insulation. The ladies had large backs and slim waists. The gymnasts had wide waists and large thigh and shoulder muscles, but very low body fat. The type of exercise and the conditions you do the exercise on make a big difference in what areas get small or big. So, in essence, you can spot reduce, just maybe in a different way that people normally think of spot reduction.
    Yeah, the sport they play has an influence on their body shape. Sprinters have larger legs. Why? Because they have large leg muscles because in order to be fast over short distances, you need large/strong leg muscles. Gymnasts have large shoulders. Why? Because they spend a lot of time on their hands, which builds up shoulder strength. The exercises you do determine what areas get big, not the areas that get small.
    Swimmers do not have "slim waists" because they do a lot of ab work, which is the definition of spot reducing. Swimmers might appear to have a slimmer waist because their shoulders and backs are so large. This is NOT spot reducing. This is just an optical illusion. A woman with measurements of 40-25-40 appears to have a smaller waist than a woman with measurements of 32-25-32. Really, they have the same sized waist.

We are saying the exact same thing. Their are exercises you can do to make a body part smaller or larger. Some tummy exercises will strengthen your core and pull your stomach in. Spot reduction. You have reduced inches in that area. Their are leg exercises like squats that make the muscle bigger, and others, like yoga, that make the muscle lean. Don't argue with me. It's obvious. If you want to talk about lipid loss in a specific area, I wasn't talking about that. Thank you.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

I didn't realize I was being snarky here. I went away for a bit and was shocked that we were still arguing over this. ::goes to sit in a corner::
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options

I'm sad you have nothing better to do then watch this thread closely and insult people.
  • morgansmom02
    Options

I'm sad you have nothing better to do then watch this thread closely and insult people.

I'm sad that I don't remember being snarky.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I'm still sad that spot got reduced :cry:

1670139_6379.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Thank you for playing. Sarcasm is like a second language to me.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options

I didn't think you were! After 12 pages you would think this would end already xD
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Agree to disagree?
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Well I found my workout for the day. I'm going to go through this entire thread and do a squat for every time I see the word "spot".

Here's some more for ya...
    Spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot spot...ha

:heart:

443 "spots" in the first 10 pages. I really didn't think this one through. I better get to it.

Tell you what love, I'll join you . 443 bodyweight squats today!

YAY! :drinker: I just finished them up. I think I'm going to start doing this more often when these sort of threads pop up. Next time: Lunges!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Now that is truly depressing. Spot reduce your sadness! :flowerforyou:
  • morgansmom02
    Options

I didn't think you were! After 12 pages you would think this would end already xD

Ok good! Usually I would remember if I was trying to be funny or snarky. I think the thread might die now
  • morgansmom02
    Options

Now that is truly depressing. Spot reduce your sadness! :flowerforyou:

I reduced my sadness with a donut.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    MAGIC!
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    You can tone up muscle, but you can't lose fat in one specific area.
  • Becky3701
    Options

I'm sad that your Sad because you didn't know that she thought you were sad from not thinking of a snarly comment and that made you Sad. Not knowing why you were sad
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    But...........you can change the appearance of a specific area through strength training?