Grunting at the gym

Options

Replies

• NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you don't grunt while lifting, you're not lifting enough.

True! They have all kinds of rules posted at the Base gym that I frequent, one of them is about "No Grunting". Seriously, the list of rules is a ****in' mile long and full of stuff one is not supposed to do. I should post a picture of the sign..
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    OK. I just have to say that the guy today, on the elliptical behind me (I was on a treadmill) wearing the pro-mask, breathing really hard like he was going to pass out... kinda bothered me. No, kinda annoyed me. I mean, I get WHY, but really? Any for those of you who don't know what a pro-mask is, it's a gas mask. Like for chemical warfare. Strange people, at my gym. Then there's the girl that randomly blurts out part of whatever song she's listening to... but it's like she doesn't know the words... so all your hear is: whirr, whirr, whirr (that's the treadmill) then ooaaahhhh, babeee, humanah humanah, babeeeee, yeahhhhh, whirr, whirr, whirr....
    He wears that mask because they don't have a lunk alarm in the bathroom and he always wants to be ready.
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OK. I just have to say that the guy today, on the elliptical behind me (I was on a treadmill) wearing the pro-mask, breathing really hard like he was going to pass out... kinda bothered me. No, kinda annoyed me. I mean, I get WHY, but really? Any for those of you who don't know what a pro-mask is, it's a gas mask. Like for chemical warfare. Strange people, at my gym. Then there's the girl that randomly blurts out part of whatever song she's listening to... but it's like she doesn't know the words... so all your hear is: whirr, whirr, whirr (that's the treadmill) then ooaaahhhh, babeee, humanah humanah, babeeeee, yeahhhhh, whirr, whirr, whirr....

Maybe "gas mask boy" has the right idea. I sometimes crack off a fart or two while on the elliptical, not intentionally, but they squeak outta there... I am sure that from time to time that they are audible, but I really dont care because my headphones are in. THe other day, I fired off a particularly loud fart (again, involuntary) and there was a lady two ellipticals over that totally heard it, snapped her head over, and stared daggers right at me. I smiled and laughed out loud.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A continual grunter, but not as bad as the guy on the ab machine with an iPod stuck in his ear. Every time he leans forward, he farts. Loudly. Perhaps he can't hear it over his music, and thinks he is blowing out silent ones, but noooo, those farts are LOUD. Definitely deserving of a gold medal if farting was an Olympic sport.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's ok to grunt if your lifting heavy a_s weight, but there is always one guy that over does it and hes the same guy all the time and i can't help but laugh about it.
  • sjohnny
    Options

True! They have all kinds of rules posted at the Base gym that I frequent, one of them is about "No Grunting". Seriously, the list of rules is a ****in' mile long and full of stuff one is not supposed to do. I should post a picture of the sign..
    Last time I was at Fort Hood I was told that my language was offensive and I could get in trouble if a boss heard me. I actually offended the Army with my foul mouth. What is this world coming to?
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

Last time I was at Fort Hood I was told that my language was offensive and I could get in trouble if a boss heard me. I actually offended the Army with my foul mouth. What is this world coming to?

LMAO!

All I hear is "*kitten* this" and **kitten* that" when my husband comes home from work (Army). If you're not including at least 2 expletives per sentence, you are not a squared-away soldier.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Some hilarious replies in this thread! Loving it!

I'm not an obnoxious grunter, but at the end of any really heavy set I may involuntarily grunt. I've definitely yelled at myself to psych myself up for various intense efforts before... But I only do that while at home. >.>
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    gym-ban-letter_640_791_s_c1_center_top_0_0.jpeg
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    Grunting while lifting to get a better lift
    is like
    putting flame stickers on your car to make it go faster

TOTALLY NECESSARY AND COOL

Ahahahahahhah!!!! so true.... :laugh:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Light weight baby! LIGHT WEIGHT!

Was it Ronnie Coleman by any chance?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I love it when the women make (grunting ) sounds when they lift ! it is a turn on

Me too. O wait you said when they lift. I haven't ever seen\heard that.

I don't think I could handle it if a hot woman was lifting some serious weight and grunting, I'd have to leave and have a smoke.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I personally don't see how "ain't no thing but a chicken wing" could be considered anything BUT threatening. The sumb!tch is lucky someone didn't shoot him in self defense.
  • katiekrusher
    Options
    Most of the time it's at my last rep, and it's usually cursing coming out of my mouth. Haha
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    lol I don't even know if I grunt. I always have my ear buds in with music playing so maybe I'm making noises and don't even know it. I think I mostly just make faces. Or sometimes I think I just say "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu**"
  • mswillems
    mswillems Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am a grunter. Was taught it in high school athletics.... shotput, discus, weight lifting. It is just a natural release for me.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I love it when the women make (grunting ) sounds when they lift ! it is a turn on

Me too. O wait you said when they lift. I haven't ever seen\heard that.

You haven't watched ME workout... LOL :devil:

I keep my grunting to a minimum... Mostly heavy breathing trying to make sure I don't pass out, lol.

I haven't ever seen a woman lift in a way that would cause grunting :(
  • SusuAtta
    SusuAtta Posts: 56
    Options
    When I work hard enough at the gym, my inner animal is unleashed.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    True story, this morning there was this fairly attractive guy on a machine in front of me who was lifting weights and grunting like an animal. Well more like sex grunts really, I will admit it was kind of hot but awkward. Has anyone else experienced this or do it?

OMG, I was telling this to my husband last month, and I posted here in one of my groups. A guy at my neighborhood gym was doing the exact SAME thing except he was saying "Oh yeah, give it to me. Yeah!". Obnoxious sex grunting too as it was only he and I in the gym. It was hella awkward and to me, unnecessary but oh well lol.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Light weight baby! LIGHT WEIGHT!

Was it Ronnie Coleman by any chance?

Ain't no thang but a chicken wing!!! That's now my go to phrase...for all situations, up to and including "relations".