Most embarrassing "fat" moment....

Options

Replies

• totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Why do people think its Ok to abuse others who are overweight? Can you imagine having someonelean out of a car and shout "Go F*cking you cold turkey you smoker" ...In fact there are lots of words to abuse fat people but I can't think of a single one for smokers, why is that?

I can tell you that people do, in fact, shout that and much worse to smokers.

Why do you think shouting abuse at one group of people is so wrong but completely admirable to shout abuse at a different group?

My favourite is somebody telling me that because I smoke I deserved to die young, when I was outside having a cigarette. It's NEVER ok to say stuff like that to people, much like I shouldn't go up to a fat person and say "Because you haven't controlled your weight you deserve to get heart disease and die early" :explode:

Edited to add: FYI, you know how when someone yells abuse at you for being fat and it makes you feel awful and just want to stuff yourself with a massive cake? Guess what reaction happens for getting abuse for smoking? Get stressed and want another cigarette! It didn't help that I was cutting down when this bloke made the above comment to me, and it pretty much blew that day right out of the water for my cutting down effort.

Agreed. :flowerforyou:
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    Geez where to begin...

One that sticks out clearly was when swimming was required in high school. The first time I had to step out in front of my class in a bathing suit, (co-ed swim class) I wanted to die. I was probably a good 250lbs at 5'6 in high school. Luckily I am a really good swimmer, so I smoked the fitter people in class. That afforded me a little bit of dignity.

There was a time when I went to kneel on a piano bench, and it broke. The person who witnessed it just burst out laughing, and yelled "Omg, fatass!"

Um, there was a time where I was sitting in plastic patio furniture and my saddlebags were sticking out the sides of the chair. A little girl that I babysat for came over and started pushing on my legs (in front of everyone) and told me they looked funny and asked why no one else's legs did that.

Shopping with my sister. She never gave me a bad time, but she is naturally just skinny and so following her around in stores that obviously didn't carry anything remotely plus sized was humiliating.

You know what, I am going to chalk my most embarrassing fat story up to the fifth grade through to 2011.
  • TwinnyB
    TwinnyB Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a couple:

An ex-boyfriend who when he first saw me naked told me with a look of shock on his face "you need to lose weight!." Really? This coming from a man at least 40 lbs overweight himself. I was never able to be completely undressed around him again.

More recently, I had been dating a guy and thought everything was fine until he tells me "I've never dated anyone as big as you and I like you but if you want to continue this you will HAVE to lose the weight." He was overweight as well.

So, I'm happily single. :smile:
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    After having ankle surgery I had left my crutches in the car and was using one of those motorized carts at the grocery store. An employee approached me and asked me to return the cart as a person with a "real" medical condition was in need of one. Mortifying.
    The same thing happened to me at the Dr. I had an older couple start yelling at me about handicapped parking one week after hip replacement. Even tho I was using crutches! So finally I dropped my pants and showed them the staples. They did shut up pretty quickly!
  • alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a couple:

An ex-boyfriend who when he first saw me naked told me with a look of shock on his face "you need to lose weight!." Really? This coming from a man at least 40 lbs overweight himself. I was never able to be completely undressed around him again.

More recently, I had been dating a guy and thought everything was fine until he tells me "I've never dated anyone as big as you and I like you but if you want to continue this you will HAVE to lose the weight." He was overweight as well.

So, I'm happily single. :smile:

OMG! Those guys need to be tagged so no girls will ever go near them again. Glad you got rid of them! :)

Mine would be going shopping with girl friends, they were always much smaller and I had to shop plus size so I would take xl that I knew would NEVER fit and "try them on" while they were trying skinny stuff on just so I wouldn't have to say I needed a bigger size in a different section :(

Also the roller coaster thing, they have had a tough time pushing the bars all the way down so I would suck in as much as possible and then just hope it hooked well enough to not come undo and send me flying.

Oh yeah some kid told me I was fat and ugly and my friend at the time was beautiful like a princess... this was on vacation at a hotel pool. There are LOTS more but it just gets depressing.
  • kayish
    kayish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna list a few from when I was a kid, there are soooo many though. My gym teacher in 9th Grade was kind of a hard @ss and when some kids were goofing around she would make everyone line up on the line around the basketball court and run. I was like 230 pounds at the time (I had lost 30 pounds that summer before school started) and I was OF COURSE the slowest person and I ended up having to walk because I literally couldn't run anymore. And we weren't allowed to pass people so all the kids in my class were stuck behind me. It was humiliating. And if that wasn't bad enough I came out from the locker room after changing and a boy started making fun of me in front of everyone. Yeah that sucked. I went home and cried. My dad called the school and was not happy at all, my gym teacher ended up coming up to me in the locker room and told me from that now on I wouldn't have to do that when the rest of the class did. Which was embarrassing but also a relief at the same time.

In 8th grade a guy in my class who sat a couple seats behind me one day decided to try and push the desk in front of him into mine and try and move me. But I was too fat and he found that hilarious. -.- This is the same guy that SHOVED me to the ground during flag football and said "stay down there fat @ss" Not only was it horribly embarrassing it hurt, what kind of guy does that?!
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My best friend at primary school telling me she didn't like me any more because I was fat.

I gave up all chocolate for 3 years as a result of that comment.
  • sparklefire
    sparklefire Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse aide too and i HATE when my coworkers are talking about how disgusting the fat residents are... I KNOW thats what they think of me too. Anyway people think it is perfectly ok to treat someone like **** for being fat. Or to treat them like that can't hear and they are helpless to stand up for themselves.
    One time I said Hi to a resident who I work with everyday and she replied "Hi Chubby".
    I've also had residents tell me that even though I look strong and "big" and "hefty" that they think I won't be able to help them transfer into bed. A resident told me in front of about 14 students that I had a Big Belly.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is Honduran and if you know spanish families you know they tell it like it is. And they want you to find a husband!

From my grandma one year for christmas I got a case of Slimfast wrapped up as a present--this new weightloss drink she had seen on tv one day. I opened it in front of a few cousins. I was embarrassed, but they know how she is. It also came with a card apologizing for making me fat by cooking for me everyday when I'd get to her house after school. She took complete responsibility for me being obese. What do you even say to that?

\

i love how she took responsibility! most parents don't even care that their kids are fat/try to change it. your grandmother is sweet for realizing that she did it..
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    I was cutting a little boys hair at a local hair shop in the mall and this little boy blurts out "Are you fat?" I was flabbergasted, didn't know what to say. I said "yes" he said "why?" I answered "I guess I eat too much" His dad, of course was mortified and told him it wasn't a nice thing to say. MInd you I was smaller than I am now and didn't feel I was that fat, but, I guess I was..funny how you look to other people without noticing it yourself.:ohwell:
  • lisav6
    lisav6 Posts: 56
    Options
    Mine was when I was about 7 months pregnant and saw people I hadn't seen for a while ad I could tell they weren't sure if I was pregnant or just fatter! I had to work at a different office and mentioned it to a few people and I could tell by their reactions that they weren't sure!
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I guess it was when my ex wife left me for another man because "You can't be fat and bald at the same time"
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also have been congratulated on my pregnancy by a little old lady. But the one I hated the most was when I was shopping for bra's and the shop assistant said "we don't do them that big"
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well these are heartbreaking:( I remember when I was 14, my grandfather said to me "you've gotten fat, you need to lose weight'....and when I was swimming in a July 4th show, my best friend told me that a couple of people got together and yelled 'shamu' when I dove in.....I'd put these things out of my mind till I read all this:(
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    My moment was about 5-6 months ago when I was spending time with my siblings and nephews. We were talking about gym class back in school and how we were made to do as many push-ups and sit-ups as we could in a minute. And me thinking I could still do them like I did 12 years ago in high school tried to do them again. When I tried sit-ups I couldn't even do a crunch and laid there like an exhausted turtle. Then when I tried push-ups my belly hit the floor well before I got close enough to bend my arms properly. That was my wake-up call.

I also had a little boy tell me "you have a big stomach" while in a Gamestop on vacation. I wrote about it on Facebook and one of my friends said I should've told him "get in mah belly" like Fat *kitten* from the Austin Powers movies. It made me laugh but it still bothered me.

I had so many moments throughout school, especially with this one underclassmen who seemed to make it his mission in school to harass and verbally abuse me every time we passed each other in the halls. Calling me ugly, fat, so many cruel things, and I didn't even know him before then, but my sister told me that he had used to be overweight but lost it all over a summer vacation. He just doesn't know how close I was to snapping and throwing his skinny butt through the plate glass windows they had in the school courtyard...

jo
  • Debby17
    Debby17 Posts: 3
    Options
    While on holiday, getting on a smallish plane (seated about 20) with my husband so we could fly to an island. When I was seated and belted in I was then told I couldn't sit next to my husband and I would have to move up to the front of the plane to 'balance' the plane. Everyone on the plane heard and then had to wait while I moved before the plane took off. ONE of my embarrassing moments - there have been many unfortunately - people can be cruel - children you can forgive but not adults!
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    A couple that come to mind:

When I was at school I got bullied a lot. I hardly ever did PE and tried to change in the toilets when I did. One day I had to change in the changing rooms and when I had my top off one of the skinny popular girls shouted out to me, "Hey, I'm doing a poll, where do you buy your rolls?, No, seriously, where do you get your rolls?" I just glared at her (I was a quiet sort of kid) and she would not give it up. Everyone laughed. I'm not sure I ever went to PE after that.
    Another of those girls liked to call herself Tinkerbell. Tinkerbell was her thing. Small, skinny, cute. This was when we were about 14! She decided I was Garfield. Fat, ginger and lazy. Everyone started calling me that. She's got fat since and I love it :laugh: keep her on facebook for just that reason. I got a lot of comments from boys but the ones from girls hurt more and stay longer.
  • dietflyer
    dietflyer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I was 16 and a lot smaller, my stepdad stopped me in the hallway and said: no guy is ever going to love you if you look like that. I was shocked and bottled up the bitterness/anger from that. He would also comment on my eating all the time. If we were out somewhere he would glare at me and watch me eat. He would sigh heavily if what I was eating was not what I should have been eating in his mind. He would always say: Are you sure you should be eating that? I think you've had enough.

My dad did the same.... Not to mention he's over 100 lbs heavier than me

My dad and step mom would do the same to me too and then make snide remarks about my weight. It was sad because at the time I was 206 and losing weight, then when I moved away from them just TWO months later, I was 245. I don't know why people are so fuggin rude. They think that these those comments don't hurt, but say that to the 40 pounds I had put on.

Same story here. My mom was very insecure about her weight her whole life. Every time I would mention something like, "Oh, Sally has a new boyfriend." Her immediate response would be, "Oh, did she lose weight?" "Guys really only like skinny girls."
    She was about 250, and said these things to try to steer me away from falling into her pattern. It had exactly the opposite effect. I became obsessed with food and dieting, yet always battled my weight. I grew up thinking I would never be good enough for a man, and it ruined quite a few relationships. It didn't help that in high school, my dad left my mom, saying she "had gotten too fat to love." Heck, if my DAD felt that way, normal guys must, too.

I regret that I went through college and my 20s with that mindset.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    My family likes to "go to the river" we were staying at a river house with A LOT of family one time(think reunion). Two of my cousins were there and Broke (one male(age 21) one female(age 26)). She was saying that she could get in her little black dress and go get the two of them free drinks at the bar from a man. My mother was taking care of my daughter so i had the night off.. I comment that i think i want to go get a drink, that sounded fun. She looks up and down at me and says in a snotty tone " but your fat".... I looked at her with the best smile i could muster and told her in a sweet voice... "i also make my own money" and i walked off....

It's been three years and i still want to punch her as much as i did that day....

I think I would have.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Mental note: there seems to be a market for "plus size" carnival rides.... Half of the trauma listed here seems to involve a roller coaster and accompanying walk of shame.

--P