Please stop microwaving your food

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, congrats on staying classy--you've taken a really undeserved beating here.

If classy means defending a falsehood with studies that actually refute her argument (in the hopes that no one actually reads them), then I guess you're right.

Classy means not stooping to the rudeness that others have displayed.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    OP, congrats on staying classy--you've taken a really undeserved beating here.

If classy means defending a falsehood with studies that actually refute her argument (in the hopes that no one actually reads them), then I guess you're right.

Classy means not stooping to the rudeness that others have displayed.

I don't think there's a classy way to respond to a post full of BS stated as fact. If you don't want rude responses, don't post crap.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I don't actually agree with her post, but I've managed to not ridicule her or tell her to shut up or call her an idiot.

I guess there is a way.

People debate all the time. It is possible to do so without the above.

If anyone can prove that she believed her post was factually incorrect and posted it to spread misinformation, that's a whole other can of worms. But to me, she seemed sincere in wanting to help people. Why not explain to her why you believe her post is incorrect without insulting her?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    There is no legitimate peer reviewed scientific study proving what you say. But there is a lot to prove that it's false.

http://ehealthmd.com/content/microwaved-food-dangerous-myths-and-facts

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I don't actually agree with her post, but I've managed to not ridicule her or tell her to shut up or call her an idiot.

I guess there is a way.

People debate all the time. It is possible to do so without the above.

If anyone can prove that she believed her post was factually incorrect and posted it to spread misinformation, that's a whole other can of worms. But to me, she seemed sincere in wanting to help people. Why not explain to her why you believe her post is incorrect without insulting her?

What is there to debate? Not sure how you debate a falsehood. It's like debating whether the sky is burn sienna or chartreuse green.

Sure, you can stay klassy if someone tells you to do something based on lies... but most people have low tolerance to ignorance and ignorant people requesting people do something based on a falsehood. Especially after announcing they're getting off their soap box.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Fine, don't debate her. Tell her why she is wrong. It's still possible to do that without belittling her.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Lot's of BS
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Also, please don't microwave straight water. Unless you like boiling water to explode in your face.

???? I often microwave straight water for tea. I've never had it explode. :huh:
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I heard the best way to cook some veggies was either steam or microwave as boiling can take out the nutrients. Other than that I don't touch the microwave. :-)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Also, please don't microwave straight water. Unless you like boiling water to explode in your face.

???? I often microwave straight water for tea. I've never had it explode. :huh:
    As in distilled water, devoid of any minerals.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Fun fun fun :drinker: http://www.chow.com/food-news/55123/can-microwaved-water-explode/

I still don't know why an average person would superheat distilled water, though. For what purpose? Beats me.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Yawn. Complete and utter myth. Amazing what some people will believe.

It's not a myth that microwaving vegetables breaks down the compounds/nutrients in your food.

Cooking in general does that to your food. The less processed/cooked, the better. The most nutrient-void foods in our diets are the highly processed ones, I'm sure you've heard of this...

The closer to 'alive' our food is, the better.

Microwaves cook things faster, more and more thoroughly, which makes them less nutritious.

"Yawn" to your ignorant and rude comment. Amazing what some people will say...

Actually, you got that backwards. Microwaves cook things faster so they retain more nutrients.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was told (by my elderly relative) that the reason you leave the food for a minute after you take it out of the microwave is to let any left over microwaves escape, that way it is perfectly safe to eat!
    Well I think that settles that discussion!
    :explode:

ROFL old people rule.
  • Kalynx
    Options
    jimmy-fallon-popcorn.gif

LMAO!!!!!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    ok its one thing heating up already cooked food in a microwave but surely nobody would cook with one.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Fun fun fun :drinker: http://www.chow.com/food-news/55123/can-microwaved-water-explode/

I still don't know why an average person would superheat distilled water, though. For what purpose? Beats me.

Interesting. I guess I should be glad that my Brita filtered tap water and/or my stonewear mug has impurities. Though my microwave has a "beverage" setting that I use, so perhaps it's programmed not to get to the explosion temp.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ok its one thing heating up already cooked food in a microwave but surely nobody would cook with one.

Why wouldn't you?
  • cjstrong
    cjstrong Posts: 54
    Options
    lol this thread is just.. wow

doesnt matter how the heck you cook or heat up your food. Calories in vs calories out. Throw in a multi vitamin if youre so worried.
  • Kalynx
    Options
    Bump

heh.

this has been so entertaining I hate to see it end.

have a good day.

I'm off to read about real vs fake butter. discuss.