How old were you

Options

Replies

• territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'm 42.....

Does getting your first corded telephone in your bedroom count? If so, I was 14 when I got a phone in my bedroom. Rotary dial.

First phone without a cord....I was 16....and WOW pushbuttons!!!!

Pager at 21. First cell phone at 28. Now I feel old.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I was 45. I'm now 57. I grew up with no home phone either. Yeah, back in the day........:wink:

Oh good. Now I'm not the only one on here that knows how to use a rotary dial phone. Kids see them now and say, "How do I dial?"
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say I was 14....I'm 23 now.

BUT! It wasn't my idea, my parents insisted I have one, as we lived out in the country, and I'd often go into town and need to let them know when to pick me up or if I was being harassed by the jerks at the movie theater (and there weren't a whole lot of payphones around, either).
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I got my first cell phone when I was around 25. I'm 33 now. (I was rather behind on the whole cell phone thing. Most of my friends had had a cell phone for years by the time I got one.)
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was 45. I'm now 57. I grew up with no home phone either. Yeah, back in the day........:wink:

Oh good. Now I'm not the only one on here that knows how to use a rotary dial phone. Kids see them now and say, "How do I dial?"

My parents STILL have a rotary dial phone in their basement. And they also have a TV with no remote that you turn on by pulling a knob outward, and it has the little UHF dial on it. They're big believers in not replacing something until it's actually broken. :)
  • SabrinaSt
    SabrinaSt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I got mine when I was 16. I'm turning 30 in a few weeks.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Lol...um....38 or 40 I think....I'll be 50 this month. I never had a home phone in my room in my parents house. They were all corded and had to sit in the living room next to my parents in order to talk to my friends.

And well....my kids were in high school when then got cell phones...my youngest stepdaughter I think was 5 or 6 when she got hers.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I got it at 13, as a Christmas present but I had to pay for the bills. Also, I'm 22 now.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I got my first cell phone right after 9/11 because i realized I needed to be able to have my mother get in touch with me in an emergency. I don't remember how old I was then, I'm 65 now and I have an iPhone with all the bells and whistles.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I was 15 or 16. Am 29 now.
  • misao1994
    Options
    I was 11, because my mom was a single parent and I'd go home alone and we had no home phone.

Now I'm 18 and still have a cell phone, but I pay for it ha
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I was 17, it was when I moved away from home to university. 21 now. Obviously still have a cell phone (who doesn't?). Started paying for it when I graduated last year (when I was 20).
    Nowadays I think people should get cell phones in high school. Definitely not elementary school but high school seems right :).

Add: I felt really lame and uncool in high school when all my friends had cell phones and were texting/calling each other. It really sucked. I was willing to pay for one (I worked one job through grade 9, 10, and 11 and two jobs during grade 12) but my parents still said no. :( But I really did feel like it effected my social life. And of course, I wasn't allowed to have a laptop either (again - I totally would have paid) so it was hard to keep track of who was doing what. Well, I was allowed to use the family computer once in a while. So I'm pretty sure I missed out on quite a few things when I was in high school.
    Oh, and my first year of university, I didn't have a phone (well, during frosh week). That was THE WORST. Because that was when everyone was meeting each other, giving out numbers to hang out later, etc. Soooo many people asked for my number but nope, didn't have one. Could have made some friends but that's okay... being a social outcast was totally cool with me :p

So yeah, the social reason is why I think kids should get them when they start school. Well that's part of the reason. The other part is that you start hanging out with friends, going out, doing other things more so it really is a better way to keep track of your kids.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I got one when I was 15, only because I had a job and paid for it on mine own. I'm 22 now.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    If it weren't for mfp I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night. No way I'm going to remember getting my first phone. Maybe 18? I'm 36 now.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    18 when I got my first one I didn't even really need it because most of my buddies had phones.

I'm 21 now.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My dad was the first person I knew to get a giant car phone in the 80's. It had a giant receiver box and a curly cord. He drove a gorgeous 1954 Chevy Bel Air, I was and still am pretty sure he's the coolest guy ever.

My first cell phone? 26 or 27, I think. It was huge! I sewed a case for it out of studded red leather. I'm 41 now...
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was in 7th grade when I got my first cell phone. I'm 27 now.

I had just joined the the girls soccer team (the only sport I ever played) and it was handy to help coordinate my ride home each day after practice. My parents got their first cell phone at that time as well.

At the time my mom swore it was a waste of money for them to have the shared one, but then she insisted on always being the one to carry it. When I started to drive, she would fuss at me if I didn't answer my cell phone. I constantly pointed out that I drove a stick shift and thus needed both hands to drive, and that it's bad to talk on the phone while driving anyway.

The other funny thing was that she would occasionally call me, leave a message, and then instead of pressing "end call" or just flipping it shut, would instead power down the phone, then worry when I "didn't call back." Sort of hard to call someone back when their phone is off. Haha.

During school hours, I kept it in my locker on silent. Nowdays, parents call/text their kids during class, kids answer because they keep phone on them 24/7, and society wonders why teachers complain and take the phones away and why kids don't learn. If a parent needs to talk to a kid during school hours, they ought to call the school's office not a kid's cell phone.

My folks didn't get separate cell phones until I went to college and by then they got quite adept at using them. Both are now addicted to their "crackberries" for texting at all hours of the day. As for me, I still use an old fashioned "dumb" clam-shell style phone and I'm perfectly happy with it. I hate texting--drives me nuts.

Having said all that, I only have a cell phone. Haven't had a land line since the one that came with my dorm room.
  • BabyLeila23
    Options
    I wasd 16...I'm 23 now. My parents told me that I didn't need one until I started driving.
  • hmbrandon
    hmbrandon Posts: 114
    Options
    17, when I could afford to by myself one. No way would my parents have gotten me one. I'm 26 now.
  • 4cstadler
    Options
    I got my first cell phone when I was 35 because I would be traveling some distance to a job and didn't have a reliable car. I'm now 45 and I currently do not have one.