30 day unbiased Shakeology review

Options
First let me get the disclaimers out of the way...

* I am not a beachbody coach
* I do not have any friends or family who are beachbody coaches
* I do not want a beachbody coach so please do not request me
* I bought my shakeology off of Ebay

I started using shakeology on Aug 17th as a meal replacement. The first time I used it I thought it was terrible tasting. I googled a few recipes and found a way to make it taste better. After a few days my taste buds adjusted and it tastes pretty good now.

It did not "make" me lose weight. I lost weight because I had a calorie deficit.

However, it took away all my unhealthy carb and sweet cravings.
It gave me more energy.
It's a quick and easy meal that doesn't take much thought.
I no longer want fast food. (that's a huge pitfall for me)

I have lost 16 pound in the last 30 days. I have a lot to lose and I just started so obviously I lost more because of water weight ect... but I do give all the credit for helping me stick to this new lifestyle to shakeology.

I'm writing this because when I was researching I could not find a lot of reviews from non-coaches. So to anyone in a similar situation...
I love shakeology.
I will continue to use it everyday.
Yes I think it's expensive but I think it's worth every penny.
It is definitely helping me on this journey.

*my recipe... 1 scoop chocolate flavor, 1 c. water, 1/3 c. almond milk, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, ice. Blend in magic bullet.

Replies

• alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great review
    I just wanted to mention that your recipe is my favorite,
    I just add one banana and the rest of your ingredients and it taste soooo goood!
    Love it
    Congrats on your weight loss, keep up the good work!
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    First of all let me tell you I LOVE your disclaimer!! LOL...

I am am a member of Beachbody and have been since 2004, not a coach nor do I want to be one either. I just believe in their products.

I used the Shakeology cleanse to break through a plateau. It worked and I lost 5lbs. I agree it's expensive but if you have to lose some serious weight I recommend it as well.

Diana
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    this is my unbiased take on the nutritional quality of the shake, for the price that they charge they should be using a much higher quality form of vitamins, they use mostly the cheaper versions, esp B12 (Shakeology uses cyanocobalamin, the cheapest form of it, and has much poorer absorbility then other forms), also for the price and it being touted as a MRP, why they would use whey vs a blend or something like micellar casein(micellar casein and blends happen to cost more) and the anti oxidents and other stuff they threw in there see to be underdosed
  • LeahLexis
    LeahLexis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    this is my unbiased take on the nutritional quality of the shake, for the price that they charge they should be using a much higher quality form of vitamins, they use mostly the cheaper versions, esp B12 (Shakeology uses cyanocobalamin, the cheapest form of it, and has much poorer absorbility then other forms), also for the price and it being touted as a MRP, why they would use whey vs a blend or something like micellar casein(micellar casein and blends happen to cost more) and the anti oxidents and other stuff they threw in there see to be underdosed

I am new to this healthy lifestyle thing and I'm open to suggestions. This is the first shake I've ever tried (other than slimfast about 10 yrs ago :laugh: )
    Do you have recommendations for something better? I like what I have so far but if something works better for others I'm interested...
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great review! Glad to hear you are enjoying Shakeology.

How much have you got it on Ebay? Just curious.

If you would like I can e-mail you a PDF of different recipes for shakes. 60 days worth of different options.
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have been using Herbalife shakes for a little over a week now, and it has all the benefits you are saying about your shakes. But it has a ton of AWESOME recipes. Everything from Wedding cake, to candy cane, to cherry cobbler. (and that is all with the vanilla formula) I have one every day and I feel incredibly better than before. and I liked it from the first time I tried it. You could friend me if you want and look at my food diary to see more. Glad you are making a change for the better. Congrats!
  • Acg67
    Options

I am new to this healthy lifestyle thing and I'm open to suggestions. This is the first shake I've ever tried (other than slimfast about 10 yrs ago :laugh: )
    Do you have recommendations for something better? I like what I have so far but if something works better for others I'm interested...

personally i don't think MRPs are necessary for dieting and whole food meals provide better satiety, but there are plenty of good multi vitamins(Source Naturals Life Force, Controlled Labs Orange Triad, AOR Orthocore as few examples) out there to fill in any micronutrient deficiencies from your diet and every protein powder out there will be cheaper per serving and can be used as an MRP. for the antioxidents there are a few greens formulas on the market that have decent profiles
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options

The main reason I picked Shakeology was the finding on Food Facts website. Shakeology was number #1 until recently Garden of Life has a higher score. http://www.foodfacts.com/nutritionalinformation_Meal-Replacement-Drinks/20/321/1821
  • Acg67
    Options

The main reason I picked Shakeology was the finding on Food Facts website. Shakeology was number #1 until recently Garden of Life has a higher score. http://www.foodfacts.com/nutritionalinformation_Meal-Replacement-Drinks/20/321/1821

looking at your link they just go by total amount of vitamins and other stuff in it, but don't judge the actual forms of the vitamins

for example

www.dadamo.com/B2blogs/blogs/index.php/2004/02/07/cyanocobalamin-versus-methylcobalamin?blog=27
  • LeahLexis
    LeahLexis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input and I may consider that in the future but as you can see from my starting weight I have a long way to go and for right now I'm going to stick to what's working. And 16 pounds in 30 days feels pretty good to me :)
  • dlindzey
    Options
    What is Shakeology?
  • newbiefitnessgrl
    Options
    I just started Shakeology 2 weeks ago and I'm just wondering how long did it take for you to start seeing a big difference in your energy level, reduced cravings, weight loss, etc.? Also, did you make any other changes in your diet?
  • wikiwiki3
    Options
    I just started Shakeology 10 days ago - I actually started with the 3 day cleanse and lost 6 lbs during that. I have kept it off since switching to just 1 shake a day. However, I am eating better the other 2 meals, having fruit instead of crackers for snacks, etc. And I am exercising 30-45min most days. I am pleased so far. I'm not having the late afternoon cravings for crackers or sweets like I was before. This is helping to make lunch easy for me - (my "problem" meal where I used to eat whetever I was making my 2 year old).

As far as a long term thing, I think I would be ok with that but the cost is a factor - I'm considering becoming a "coach" just to get the discount. :)
  • JudyZ
    JudyZ Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank you for that unbiased review! I AM a coach, and I LOVE Shakeology (like you...I didn't at first...had to play around with it to find the BEST recipes). I just started using the tropical shakeology vegan blend, and it's entirely made from whole food ingredients, and has quickly become my favorite. I had to figure out how to deal with a different "texture" to it (vegan protein sources are more chalky or gritty than whey sources), but I've found ways to mix it where that isn't a problem anymore.

Anyway, I REALLY appreciate your opinion!
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that unbiased review! I AM a coach, and I LOVE Shakeology (like you...I didn't at first...had to play around with it to find the BEST recipes). I just started using the tropical shakeology vegan blend, and it's entirely made from whole food ingredients, and has quickly become my favorite. I had to figure out how to deal with a different "texture" to it (vegan protein sources are more chalky or gritty than whey sources), but I've found ways to mix it where that isn't a problem anymore.

Anyway, I REALLY appreciate your opinion!

Would love to hear your techniques on dealing with Tropical Strawberry "chalkiness." Just made my first one today as an alternative to chocolate and had to force myself to finish. Decent flavor (mixed with 1/2c OJ and 1/2 c water) but texture off-putting. Do I need a better blender?
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty good review. Your recipe is almost the same as mine when I was using Shakeology. Sometimes I would add a shot of espresso for an extra kick in the morning.

I still love the product, I just feel that it's overpriced for what it is so I haven't bought it again. If they would cut the price in half I'd probably buy it on a regular basis.
  • AlissaAngelo
    AlissaAngelo Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here's a huge tip for the Tropical Strawberry Shakeology.... blend it for AT LEAST 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.... this will greatly reduce the chalkyness. The first time I blended mine up.... oh man, it was bad! LOL! Now that I've experimented more, it's much better... my favorite recipe is the Day #1 on the recipe calendar but I leave out the oranges. YUM!! Oh, and any of the recipes with unsweetened coconut milk. YUM!
  • scorpio3786
    Options
    I bought Shakeology a month ago and am so excited/surprised at the results.

I was doing P90X for 2 months and didn't follow through on the last month because I wasn't seeing the results I wanted. I thought it was my diet because I was still kinda eating what I wanted. So when the second month came around, I did the whole meal plan, but the thing was I am 5' tall or short and I don't need that much to eat in a day (granted when I did follow the meal plan I felt very energized and focused). I am used to eating 2-3 meals a day. But even in the second month after P90X, I still wasn't seeing the results I wanted.

Mind you, during the P90X and dieting/eating healthier, I had some digestive issues, I wasn't regular and I felt like my food didn't pass as much, making it store in my stomach creating fat, i don't know if that is medically correct but that is my own belief. Saw doctors about it, they said to drink more water (didn't work).

Now before I bought shakeology I was obviously hesitant because of the price being so high. I work paycheck to paycheck and didn't want to commit to something that may or may not work. I checked the reviews online, such as this one and others and still wasn't really sure, since a lot of the reviews were BeachBody.com affiliated. A lot of coaches were giving it good reviews to get the commission of the buyer etc. But when I kept looking at the product it seemed to help with everything I needed weightloss/getting regular/energy, I decided to buy it and try it.

OMG, I am SO happy with the results. I don't work out as much in July as I did in June or May, because of timing issues with work and personal life. But WOW I saw better results than without even working out! I don't even know how either, I still ate what i wanted. I didn't have that many cravings for bad food such as chocolate or sweets as before. I got the chocolate one and would have it first thing in the morning, usually blended with almond milk, banana and berries. I got a personal size blender from wal-mart for $15 and washed and reused the cup, blended the shakeology and went to work.

At first the taste wasn't that great, I blended it with water and it was grainy and tasted weird. But after a while, I realized how to blend it and with what to make it the way I liked and now it tastes completely fine and good to my liking.

In the first week or two, I had a lot of energy, a little too much that I couldn't even sleep in the night. Eventually by week 2-3 that faded and my body got used to the shake. I am now regular, my body reacts to my meals and that feels so good. I don't drink coffee anymore since I don't need the energy. I don't eat when I don't need to because it helped with cravings. I lost like 4-5lbs and an 1-1/2 inches off my waistline after the first month,. I cannot wait to get my new bag thats being fedex'd now and see what the next month brings.

I recommend it to all my friends that can afford it to get it. Its $140/month for a meal a day minus all the money you'll be saving from the reduced cravings. It's definitely worth it!
  • MissRemmers
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting. Yesterday was my first experience with Shakeology and I almost threw up. I couldn't eat the rest of the day because I was so sick to my stomach. I woke up today and I'm hoping to start fresh. Your post revitalized me. Thanks!
  • jae530
    jae530 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been using Chocolate Shakeology now for a couple of days at work with no blender available, I use a shaker. I am wincing the whole time I drink it. I tried it with just water then I tried it with milk and banana that I blended that morning. Both days, bad. I have now bought a personal blender for work and I will try the recipe on this post and if there are any other recipes out there that make this bearable, I would love to see them. I like the idea of Shakeology just can't get past the taste yet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I love the hope that these posts give me :) Thank you!