I absolutely HATE dieting/exercise...

Options

Replies

• amandagyeoman
    amandagyeoman Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Greatest discovery today Couch to 5K second greatest discovery today --- the ignore user option.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.
    If ONLY someone would put a workout program on one of those nifty new things called DVDs.

Someone should seriously get on that.

If only people would read my comments where I list the DVDs I have and have tried..
    I have a sense you're waiting for someone to tell you the following "Awww, it's okay. Exercise and eating right DOES suck. Let's all just be fat together!"

If you hate it so much, don't do it. No one's lives, but your own, will be impacted if you choose to continue stuffing fried cheese balls down your face.

You want someone to hold your hand? Hire a nutritionist and a trainer.

Perhaps it's a bit more than your narrow view. Like A) exercising/dieting alone, is a VERY depressing feeling. B) Saying ok just quit is like assisting a long painful suicide C) If I could afford to drive 1+ hours, hire a trainer or nutritionalist I would.

Painly speaking, I just wanted to know if anyone else felt this way and how they overcame it. I wasn't crossing my fingers and wishing on stars someone like you would attack me with their snarky attitude.

I work out and diet alone every single day. Have been for 3 years. I don't need my husband, or my friends, to do it with me.

Like previous posters said, your "Wahhhhhhhh, this sucks!" attitude needs a serious adjustment before you make any progress.
    But go ahead and keep denying it. It's the exercise that sucks. It's just soooooooo hard.

Here's an idea... why don't you go... insert explitives here. I get the impression you're only here to get a rise out of me, there you go! Leave me alone.
    Worked, didn't it? Getting upset at what people on the interwebs say burns 30 calories. You're welcome.

Why do you keep responding just to insult? You obviously are aware you are not being helpful, so what are you getting out of this?
    Lots and lots of laughs.

ETA: Truths are commonly mislabeled as insults. Just some food for thought.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    I totally understand feeling this way. I felt this way for years and just recently started to feel better and i still go back and forth. What changed things for me is continuously trying different things. I started with DVD's - Jillian Michaels, Jari Love (a favorite), Insanity, Zumba. I found that I enjoyed lifting weights much more than cardio (hated cardio until Zumba). So for a long time i would work out at home using Jari Love and Cathe...cant remember her last name but has the "slow and heavy" weight lifting series. and that got me working out regularly. I knew i had to add cardio because of course i wasnt losing without it and then i saw a commercial for Zumba i fell in love before i even got the DVD, LOVED the DVD and love the classes even more and nobody i mean nobody hates cardio as much as me. Now as for eating, i LOVE, LOVE food and feel i am addicted to several things like cheese, fries and chocolate. It makes losing very difficult. What helps with that is that i find cleaner (even if not lower calorie) versions of the things i love. For example i eat chocolate raw revolution bars, i still eat fried chicken strips but over arugula (12 calories for 2 cups) instead of rice and skip the fries much more often than i used to. ITs about making small changes and being consistent...and you absolutely have to find things both exercise and food wise that you love. Keep experimenting. Look at the recipes on this site, they really help. Keep interacting with like minded people like here on MFP and you will change that hate into love and appreciation...at least most of the time :)

I'll have to look into this Jari Love. Sounds like you and I have a lot of exercise common interests!! I can't tell you how much better this makes me feel about my struggle! Thank you!
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    UsedToBeHusky: I did see your comment and thank you. I'm just increasingly frustrated with these comments bashing me. How can anyone come on this website and feel intimidated by someone else, if we are all on here for the same reason. Why do people who seem to have their diet/exercise in check have to make those of us who don't feel dumb or lesser than them??!

Alot of people on here have a holier-than-thou attitude and don't realize that people come in all shapes, sizes, experiences, levels of fitness, backgrounds, psychological states etc. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! I'm actually getting quite pissed off reading the responses to your question. You simply asked if anyone else found it hard. YES! YES! YES! It's incredibly hard. And the last thing I'm going to tell you is to suck it up and just do it. It's not that easy for everyone. I fully understand where you're coming from, and I'm actually still there. For people who have struggled with weight for a long long time are not going to immediately jump out of bed in the morning and go, "Yippee!! Time to exercise" give me a friggin break. Just hang in there. It may get easier, and it may not, but obviously something inside of you wants to change or you wouldn't be here. Maybe my only advice would be to take these comments with a grain of salt, and don't take them personally. Big hugs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Insults are insults whether they contain truth or not. If one needs to insult in order to share a truth, one might want to think about why that is, and whether anyone will listen to the truth after being insulted.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    UsedToBeHusky: I did see your comment and thank you. I'm just increasingly frustrated with these comments bashing me. How can anyone come on this website and feel intimidated by someone else, if we are all on here for the same reason. Why do people who seem to have their diet/exercise in check have to make those of us who don't feel dumb or lesser than them??!

Alot of people on here have a holier-than-thou attitude and don't realize that people come in all shapes, sizes, experiences, levels of fitness, backgrounds, psychological states etc. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! I'm actually getting quite pissed off reading the responses to your question. You simply asked if anyone else found it hard. YES! YES! YES! It's incredibly hard. And the last thing I'm going to tell you is to suck it up and just do it. It's not that easy for everyone. I fully understand where you're coming from, and I'm actually still there. For people who have struggled with weight for a long long time are not going to immediately jump out of bed in the morning and go, "Yippee!! Time to exercise" give me a friggin break. Just hang in there. It may get easier, and it may not, but obviously something inside of you wants to change or you wouldn't be here. Maybe my only advice would be to take these comments with a grain of salt, and don't take them personally. Big hugs.

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU! HUGS!
  • deedeetris
    deedeetris Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi: I just thought of another thing. If dieting and exercise seem to be overwhelming at this time, why don't you focus on just one of them? Right now, I am concentrating on diet instead of exercise. While I think activity is very important, is a lower priority for now. That doesn't mean it will stay that way forever. I figure I can only do what I can do. Positive changes in the diet will lead to more energy and positive changes in the exercise.

I have a major problem with overeating and not eating the "right" foods for myself, so I am putting that as more of a priority and I am trying to make it fun by checking out new recipes to try. I'm working very hard to get most of the sugar I love out of my eating and want to include more vegetables. In this last week, I've tried a few new recipes and most of them were good (I did make this sausage, pasta, pepper, potato thing that LOOKED great, but unfortunately, was yuck!)--it is opening my taste buds to new things and making eating healthier a lot more fun. Hope this helps! Feel free to add me if you like! Dee
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

There are days I don't like this AT ALL! Sometimes I workout and I get that high you get and other times I workout and I'm almost in tears. I have felt just about every emotion and then some.

I know a lot of people have said it but find something you like. I've tried lots of things and while a lot of people swear by the Biggest Loser workouts I HATE THEM! The things I really like are the Leslie Sansone Boot Camp dvd and her Burn Body Fat dvd. I also really like walking. It's my time to destress and just clear my head. These things are my staples but from time to time I'll throw in swimming or something like that.

As far as your food, budget it! I aim for 85/15. There are things I'm just not willing to give up! You want your cheese things? Eat half the portion, eat half the steak and save the rest for your lunch the next day! Don't punish yourself because that is the fastest route to failure.

I really had to give myself a reality check. I am an all or none person and I felt like if I didn't do everything PERFECTLY then there was no point. I've really been working at this for a few months and I'm down 35lbs (a lot of weight still to go) but in that time I've had dinner out with the girls/gone to the movies/been to bbqs/ so on and so forth. The weight is slowly but surely coming off and I can live with how it's coming off. I don't feel like the food is a punishment or that it has any control over me anymore.

So, keep working on yourself one step at a time. Healthy long term weight loss is a slow process and yes that sucks. I want results OVERNIGHT! Unfortunately my body doesn't care about what I want lol. Make one change at a time that YOU CAN live with!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

You just described me.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Ya know, there's nothing wrong with feeling this way when you start out, but sooner or later, you're going to have to face the facts: Losing weight is a lot harder than putting it on. It IS a job! You get paid in the form of being healthier and losing weight. The sooner you can adjust your attitude and outlook on this new LIFESTYLE, the sooner you're going to see the results you want. It IS hard work, it IS challenging, it IS in fact, difficult! Years and years of gimmick diets being shamelessly advertised to us have tricked us into believing otherwise. Welcome to the real world! It's a great place where you don't have to shell out $$$$ for Jenny Craig or SlimFast ever again!
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Hi: I just thought of another thing. If dieting and exercise seem to be overwhelming at this time, why don't you focus on just one of them? Right now, I am concentrating on diet instead of exercise. While I think activity is very important, is a lower priority for now. That doesn't mean it will stay that way forever. I figure I can only do what I can do. Positive changes in the diet will lead to more energy and positive changes in the exercise.

I have a major problem with overeating and not eating the "right" foods for myself, so I am putting that as more of a priority and I am trying to make it fun by checking out new recipes to try. I'm working very hard to get most of the sugar I love out of my eating and want to include more vegetables. In this last week, I've tried a few new recipes and most of them were good (I did make this sausage, pasta, pepper, potato thing that LOOKED great, but unfortunately, was yuck!)--it is opening my taste buds to new things and making eating healthier a lot more fun. Hope this helps! Feel free to add me if you like! Dee

I have considered it. I have even tried just focusing on what I'm eating. But I've decided if I'm going to do one I need to do the other. Like a check & balance system.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    No you are definitely NOT alone. I have been on a diet for Literally 55 years!! And I still hate the fact that I can only eat 1400 cal a day without gaining weight and I can only do THAT if I exercise an hour 3-4 times a week.. Its not FAIR!! !!! But it is an escapable and well documented fact of my life. So my options are 1) limit my food intake, experience mild hunger and exercise when I don't feel like it or 2) regain the 150 pounds I have lost and get the wheel chair out of the garage. When I think about my life now and my life then--mild hunger and an absence of cheese doodles is a small price to pay. Good luck! I hope you find something that works well for you.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options

There are days I don't like this AT ALL! Sometimes I workout and I get that high you get and other times I workout and I'm almost in tears. I have felt just about every emotion and then some.

I know a lot of people have said it but find something you like. I've tried lots of things and while a lot of people swear by the Biggest Loser workouts I HATE THEM! The things I really like are the Leslie Sansone Boot Camp dvd and her Burn Body Fat dvd. I also really like walking. It's my time to destress and just clear my head. These things are my staples but from time to time I'll throw in swimming or something like that.

As far as your food, budget it! I aim for 85/15. There are things I'm just not willing to give up! You want your cheese things? Eat half the portion, eat half the steak and save the rest for your lunch the next day! Don't punish yourself because that is the fastest route to failure.

I really had to give myself a reality check. I am an all or none person and I felt like if I didn't do everything PERFECTLY then there was no point. I've really been working at this for a few months and I'm down 35lbs (a lot of weight still to go) but in that time I've had dinner out with the girls/gone to the movies/been to bbqs/ so on and so forth. The weight is slowly but surely coming off and I can live with how it's coming off. I don't feel like the food is a punishment or that it has any control over me anymore.

So, keep working on yourself one step at a time. Healthy long term weight loss is a slow process and yes that sucks. I want results OVERNIGHT! Unfortunately my body doesn't care about what I want lol. Make one change at a time that YOU CAN live with!

I think you hit it on the head. I feel like I'm not doing it perfectly so I'm doomed. Thank you. I'm really going to keep that in mind.
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    Amanda, I think some people have forgotten that this is the "Motivation and SUPPORT" forum. I, too, love reading those "at least you're not starving in Africa" type responses. Really helpful, aren't they?

Jokes aside, you are totally not alone. This happens to everyone, even those who deny it. I do not believe anyone who tells me that they always love exercising. This comes from someone who truly does love working out. I have trained for marathons, half-ironmans, and tons of road races and triathlons. I have trained 15 hours a week at a time. Did I enjoy every minute of it? Hell no. There were days I could not drag myself out of bed. There were weeks where all I wanted to do was nothing and eat ice cream. But understand that these are just setbacks. I don't know about you, but around that TOM, my hormones play a huge joke on me - I become this miserable, depressed ***** who wants to do nothing but eat junk food.

Maybe pay a little more attention to your moods - do you notice some days where you feel better about exercising, and some days where you don't? Are there days when you crave more junk food? It must also be hard that you're trying to quit smoking. Don't discount that. Don't try to do too much too soon. Perhaps just do one of the two - exercise OR eat clean. So one day, exercise, but allow yourself to eat some junk, and on other days, no junk, but don't exercise. Yes, progress will be slower, but you won't be as miserable. Don't beat yourself up.

I, too, cannot stand the '"holier than thou" attitudes; as if they haven't been where you are right now. Keep your chin up.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options

You just described me.

We have each other now :)
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Ya know, there's nothing wrong with feeling this way when you start out, but sooner or later, you're going to have to face the facts: Losing weight is a lot harder than putting it on. It IS a job! You get paid in the form of being healthier and losing weight. The sooner you can adjust your attitude and outlook on this new LIFESTYLE, the sooner you're going to see the results you want. It IS hard work, it IS challenging, it IS in fact, difficult! Years and years of gimmick diets being shamelessly advertised to us have tricked us into believing otherwise. Welcome to the real world! It's a great place where you don't have to shell out $$$$ for Jenny Craig or SlimFast ever again!

It's difficult getting over that hump from chore to Lifestyle. But I agree with everything you said - with my head. I've just got to get my heart involved.
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Insults are insults whether they contain truth or not. If one needs to insult in order to share a truth, one might want to think about why that is, and whether anyone will listen to the truth after being insulted.

And this is truth sprinkled with grace. Well said.
  • luvmypwds
    Options

Wise words indeed.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Sounds like you want a magic pill.
    So, blunt but realistic. Suck it up already. Or don't. Lose weight and be more fit. Or don't. It's your life. Is the cheeseball worth how crappy you feel and potential medical problems or not? How about a cheeseball once and while or a bunch whenever you feel like it? Why do you feel like it? Maybe you need to think about the root of your weight issue. I mean that genuinely. If you fill a void with food, you will keep wanting too until you figure out why. I read "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth ...which, I didn't think was very well written, but it did get my brain moving in the right direction.

You know what else you'll probably hate? Feeling overweight and unhealthy. I know I didn't like it.

Let me be blunt. I don't want to do pills or fad diets. Don't assume. I feel like being healthier YES. If I didn't, I wouldn't force myself to do something I hate 5 flipping days a week.Oh and please don't push your religion on me, I'm talking health not joining a cult.

I know they were being rude, and you got defensive... but the comment about "joining a cult" can be offensive to even the nice people offering helpful advice... I don't get why you'd say that and alienate people that may be willing to give you helpful advice.

It's called frustration. I'm frustrated with the attitude coming at me. I need help yes. I don't need help in faith. I need help in health.

1. Don't judge a book by its title. My ex-therapist recommended that book to me and I'm atheist/agnostic. It's not about a Christian god as you think of it, just as a higher power. It could be anything. The trees, the wind, Johnny Depp, who cares. There were even complaints on the reviews on Amazon from Christians that it was not Christian enough.

2. If your hips hurt that much from walking, you should get it checked out. There are therapies that can help with this. Physical therapy, cortisone shots, whatever. Get it checked out.

3. This is going to sound hokey but whatever. Whenever I do home workout videos, I feel like the people in the video are there in the room with me. It sounds goofy but you kinda have to get "lost" in the video. That is how I don't feel so alone. Try it.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Amanda, I think some people have forgotten that this is the "Motivation and SUPPORT" forum. I, too, love reading those "at least you're not starving in Africa" type responses. Really helpful, aren't they?

Jokes aside, you are totally not alone. This happens to everyone, even those who deny it. I do not believe anyone who tells me that they always love exercising. This comes from someone who truly does love working out. I have trained for marathons, half-ironmans, and tons of road races and triathlons. I have trained 15 hours a week at a time. Did I enjoy every minute of it? Hell no. There were days I could not drag myself out of bed. There were weeks where all I wanted to do was nothing and eat ice cream. But understand that these are just setbacks. I don't know about you, but around that TOM, my hormones play a huge joke on me - I become this miserable, depressed ***** who wants to do nothing but eat junk food.

Maybe pay a little more attention to your moods - do you notice some days where you feel better about exercising, and some days where you don't? Are there days when you crave more junk food? It must also be hard that you're trying to quit smoking. Don't discount that. Don't try to do too much too soon. Perhaps just do one of the two - exercise OR eat clean. So one day, exercise, but allow yourself to eat some junk, and on other days, no junk, but don't exercise. Yes, progress will be slower, but you won't be as miserable. Don't beat yourself up.

I, too, cannot stand the '"holier than thou" attitudes; as if they haven't been where you are right now. Keep your chin up.

I have found TOM exercising I actually don't mind. But the binge eating only makes me break even. I'm just wondering if it'll take a month? Several months? Before it really sets in. That it feels like I really can do this. I am doing it. I acknowledge that. I'm not giving my exercising any less that 100% (even though they keep telling me to slow down). I'm afraid to. I'm afraid to slack at all or I'll just keep rolling down hill... I'm not intentionally quitting smoking. But I have learned from past experiences when I do eat healthier and exercise... I smoke less and less. Which is what I'm aiming for.