the olympians bodies.

Options

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Gymnasts are not fat, stocky maybe since they are short and muscular, but not fat. Does gymnastics really stunt your growth. These girls are so tiny.

Well I did the BBC which Olympian's body do you have and it matched me to an Argentinian Male basketball player. WTH.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Does gymnastics really stunt your growth. These girls are so tiny.

Does playing basketball make you taller? Those guys in the NBA are so freaking tall. The activity selects for the body type that fits it. Your body doesn't adjust to fit the activity. Either you have the body for it and succeed or you don't and find something else to do.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I think they all look weird and disproportionate.

Maybe on TV they look great and in terms of being at the event, you expect them to look that way, but if you saw them in person standing I your house, they would look a bit odd. Take the girls gymnasts, I think they are bordering fat. I know they are super strong, and that's just how they look because of what they do, but they are right on the edge. Swimmers, huge oddly broad shoulders. It looks good on tv, but I've seen these people in person, and in steet clothes, they look weird. Not unfit, just odd.

Anyway, I'm ready for the lynching for calling the girl gymnasts fat. Lol. Whateves. They aren't fat, just teetering right on the edge of it. I don't like the look. If you were to see them in jeans, you would think they were overweight.

Not a lynching, but if you think the gymnasts are fat, you have a skewed view of what fat is. They generally have BMIs and Body fat at the very low end of the scale.
    I kinda agree with the poster *ducks*....not fat, but very solid and sturdy, is what I would say. The girls tend to be on the shorter side. I noticed that the Russian gymnasts were taller and a bit more willowy.

I agree. On some people having that "much" muscle on them makes them look odd.

Lol what!? Fat? They're so short because they've been doing gymnastics since they were young, and they don't go through puberty and it stunts their growth...plus they're all mostly young teens.

say what ?? not to be rude, but have you actually taken a human anatomy or biology class? if so and they taught this you need to sue your school district. girls who exercise before puberty most definitely do go through puberty .

and if female gymnasts didnt go through puberty please explain to me how mary lou retton, nadia comanechi, etc have had babies? babies come from working ovaries. ovaries start working during puberty....

Lol yes I have. Actually I was in AP Anatomy and Biology classes when I was a sophomore in High School. Currently studying Psychology.. so yeah, I've have plenty of those classes, thank you very much. But apparently you haven't...But you probably have plenty of experience making a fool of yourself. You are entirely misinformed.
    Your body needs a certain amount of body fat to go through puberty... that's why when gymnast get injured it is so difficult to come back because they often go through a "grow spurt" because their body is allowing them to hit puberty. A lot of other female athlete's don't get their periods as well, like soccer players. Just because they aren't going through puberty at that time in their life doesn't mean that they won't ever will. It's called delayed puberty.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    552.jpg

while that may be the case for SOME, it is far from the norm.

-signed ex swimmer, dancer and gymnast. I even hit puberty very early, around 11.5

and my sister that plays soccer on a national level hit puberty at 13. She works out about 6 days a week and has since she was 12.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Does playing basketball make you taller? Those guys in the NBA are so freaking tall. The activity selects for the body type that fits it. Your body doesn't adjust to fit the activity. Either you have the body for it and succeed or you don't and find something else to do.

I really want waffles and sausage now.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Yes! Let the hunger flow through you. Feel the power!

palpatine.jpg
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

But I have read that gymnastics stunts growth and delays puberty. Basketball players are tall but most don't start playing seriously until after puberty, while gymnasts compete at a much younger age.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Yes! Let the hunger flow through you. Feel the power!

palpatine.jpg

...drooling
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

there's the argument that ultra-intense physical training can delay or interfere with puberty....and menses...
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My Olympic body match is Hao Wang, a diver from China. I'll take that. I am not interested in getting ripped, just tone. Wouldn't mind having bigger boobs though. ;)
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Heptathlete would be nice!

OMG! Exactly! They are amasing!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Heptathlete would be nice!

OMG! Exactly! They are amasing!

Except for the disgusting rolls of fat. They're the second fattest after gymnasts.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't seen anyone at the Games whose body I would want for myself, so I'm going to cheat and go to the winter Games for my inspiration. If I could achieve the body of an Olympian, it would be Lindsey Vonn's. She is my height, we have the same body type, and she's lean and firm without being ripped, which is the look that I'm aiming for.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    552.jpg

while that may be the case for SOME, it is far from the norm.

-signed ex swimmer, dancer and gymnast. I even hit puberty very early, around 11.5

and my sister that plays soccer on a national level hit puberty at 13. She works out about 6 days a week and has since she was 12.
    Were you an Olympic athlete that trained 8 hours a day 6 six days a week? Sure, you may have been competitive, but an Olympian is on a whole different level. Until then, you can tell me what isn't science and what is. Thanks.
  • alleycat88
    Options
    You think pre pubescent children are on the level of Olympic athletes in swimming??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And yes at 17 I was training with people that would later qualify for the Olympics, but I decided it wasn't a life I wanted.

Just say you are wrong - there is no shame in admitting defeat
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Usain Bolt
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    You think pre pubescent children are on the level of Olympic athletes in swimming??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And yes at 17 I was training with people that would later qualify for the Olympics, but I decided it wasn't a life I wanted.

Just say you are wrong - there is no shame in admitting defeat

Lol, why would I admit something that's not true? You are totally ill informed. And I was speaking in terms of Gymnasts, so don't put words in my mouth. Just because people you were training with went to the Olympics doesn't mean you did. And obviously the life you didn't want, which is training almost 24-7 wasn't for you, so you went through puberty. With a Gymnast, they start training and preparing for the Olympics at an extremely young age. Point and case.
  • alleycat88
    Options
    You're the one that brought up other atheletes other than gymnasts in your previous post, and I went through puberty at 11 so has nothing to do with my choice later on. Those girls went through puberty as well. And as I stated earlier while your statement may be true for SOME, it definitely does not hold true for the MAJORITY of those athletes. If that were the case all gymnasts would be 6' tall.

You read something in a book and it has to be true, the people that actually have lived it don't know anything. god, people are stupid.

here's the post where you said soccer players as another example
    A lot of other female athlete's don't get their periods as well, like soccer players. Just because they aren't going through puberty at that time in their life doesn't mean that they won't ever will. It's called delayed puberty.

And as I previously stated my sister is a soccer player that works out 6 days a wekk about 3-4 hours a day and plays at a national level. She has gone through puberty at age 13 and is 15 now.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This study seems relevant to both the question about whether or not gymnastics can affect height but also to delayed puberty:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/84/12/4525.long
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    For me: long distance runners. Toned and tiny!

For my ideal life partner: Male. Swimmers. They have the perfect bodies. Lean, muscled, broad shoulders, GREAT abs, usually tall... mmhmm.