Is breakfast necessary??

Options

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Absolutly need to eat breakfast after you wake up hense the name BREAK FAST. You should eat after breakfast because your body will go into a like starvation mode and it will mess with your metabolisim for the day and your body will start loading on fat. Breakfast also boost your metabolism and kicks starts it for the day. This is especially needed for woman.

Why, exactly, is it especially needed for a woman? This is the kind of stuff that gets tossed around for no good reason.

You will not go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast. If you don't eat anything for days, yes, your body will go into starvation mode, but not if you eat breakfast a few hours later than most people.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    From WebMD:
    Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

To each their own - it's ultimately what works for you! If you don't eat breakfast but still losing weight the way you want to, then why change anything? You could always try it and see if it works, if you're not happy with your current progress.

Well, if it's on WebMD, it has to be right!

For people who keep quoting websites based on old dietary myths that claim you have to eat breakfast to prevent going into starvation mode, can you provide any scientific studies that support entering "starvation mode" after simply fasting for 15-20 hours? There is no scientific research to support this, and it'd honestly be something pretty easy to prove with science. It takes at least several days of not eating to enter starvation mode. Give the human body some credit -- for most of human history, people did not know when their next meal was coming, and the body was fine adapting to that.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast. Your metabolism doesn't change based on when you eat. Metabolic rate is not a fickle variable that is easily changed by your eating habits. In terms of metabolism, how much you eat matters a lot more than when you eat. If you want to see what I mean, get your metabolism tested. It's hard to make a dent in this number unless you're under- or over-eating.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Yes....you haven't eaten for hours and your body has been fasting. If you workout, muscles are repaired and built when you are sleeping and it burns calories. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

You have to listen to experts, fit people, and those who rely on their fitness and knowledge for their way of living.

Don't listen to those who say breakfast is not necessary because "usually" they are the ones who are not in shape or who are in shape now but will gain it back quickly. That's why they have the yo-yo sydrome...loose weight for a few days/weeks and then gain it back quickly.

Meal is a fuel for your body...give it some fuel and you'll have energy all day without taking those 5-hour energy, coffee, soda, energy drinks, etc.

LOL! Very funny!
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    ^^^ Absolutely - I always listen to the people who have only made it 2% of the way toward their goal so far. They totally know more than the 'people who have made it 75-100% of the way. Those jerks are just know-it-alls.

Totally only listen to the opinions of those that have just started doing this!

I may have just started but I'm only 32 days in. I think I'm doing ok.

(not that I have given any advice on this post and I think this is directed at someone completely different)

I'm OVERTHINKING THINGS like just about everyone on this site.

They love to overthink things.

:tongue:

edit: for the bold... I like bold
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Or if you have a nutritionist. I have both.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is very important to jump start calorie burning. How bout a meal replacement shake?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yes....you haven't eaten for hours and your body has been fasting. If you workout, muscles are repaired and built when you are sleeping and it burns calories. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

You have to listen to experts, fit people, and those who rely on their fitness and knowledge for their way of living.

Don't listen to those who say breakfast is not necessary because "usually" they are the ones who are not in shape or who are in shape now but will gain it back quickly. That's why they have the yo-yo sydrome...loose weight for a few days/weeks and then gain it back quickly.

Meal is a fuel for your body...give it some fuel and you'll have energy all day without taking those 5-hour energy, coffee, soda, energy drinks, etc.

LOL! Very funny!

The third paragraph is my favourite hahaha
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Absolutly need to eat breakfast after you wake up hense the name BREAK FAST. You should eat after breakfast because your body will go into a like starvation mode and it will mess with your metabolisim for the day and your body will start loading on fat. Breakfast also boost your metabolism and kicks starts it for the day. This is especially needed for woman.
    I am not a speciallist or anything but this has been told to me by nutritionist and doctors and nurses and a lot of them.

Also think about this. your body has been fasting for 7 to 8 hours. You give it a high protein healthy meal in the morning to replish with creating a leaner healthy body that is burning more calories and has the energy to push you thru the day. when you sleep you burn your weight in Kilograms x .9 = calories/hour burn during sleep. Ithe calories are usually more than double what you would burn sitting at your desk all day specially the heavier you weight. So it is like exercising and you need to replinish your exercise calories

HAHAHAHAHA gigglesnort HAHA
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Like everything else, it depends on YOU. Is it important for weight loss? For me, yes. I found that I tend to pig out out of hunger or use lack of breakfast as an excuse to have something that's not as good for me, caloric intake aside. Besides, I feel better for starting to eat breakfast again.

Now, if you aren't hungry, you aren't ready to rush tackle a small animal by noon out of blind hunger and you're making good food choices, then who cares if you eat breakfast or not!
  • Karhyn
    Karhyn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you do in the morning. Personnaly, I wake up at 5:30 am and go to the gym at 7 am. I NEED a nice breakfast aroung 6 am otherwise I will simply die working out lollll ( I've tried it once...no energy after 15 minutes)

So all my breakfast look the same:

Smoothie (Milk, Frozen mixed berries) with a brown toast and peanut butter :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Thats all personal preference. You don't "have" to do anything. I think breakfast helps me get through my day and has helped my metabolism.
  • ichigo007
    Options
    ^^^ Absolutely - I always listen to the people who have only made it 2% of the way toward their goal so far. They totally know more than the 'people who have made it 75-100% of the way. Those jerks are just know-it-alls.

If you are talking about me. If not sorry for pointing at you lol
    Yes I have only lost 25 pounds on scale but I have dropped from 33% body fat to 23.5% body fat and have increased my lean mass by 7.169 lbs. in 9 weeks. My info comes from doctors, Nurses, and Nutritionlist.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Necessary - No.

Awesome - Yes.

QFT! :flowerforyou:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It is for me because I take medication. And I actually get hunger pains if I don't....so my body must need it.
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options

i'm assuming you're also one of those people who believe you shouldn't eat past 7 o'clock...
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of people who eat breakfast, I know I do all depending on the day but I don't have a big breakfast and usually just split my meals up in small portions throughout the day minus dinner is a regular-sized meal as it helps keep me fueled throughout the day as well as helps my cursed hunger pains I seem to have if I don't eat every 2-3 hours...

So necessary? Nope!

Unless you're diabetic of course at which point you will need to have a stricter nutrition plan in place which would include some form of a breakfast.

I know when I train early morning and have to wake up at 4-5 I'm not hungry for solid food, as such something like Carnation Breakfast Anytime, Ensure and that sort of thing helps to get calories in when you have 3-4 buses to take, over an hour's commute, etc
  • medlerharvest
    Options
    i don't th,ink its necessary, but would say it really depends on what your going to do... I personnally wouldn't embark on a big fitness work out or a long drive, if I hadn't eaten.... I know when my body needs foods it tells me... so have just had a couple of slices of toast with butter, as i felt a little light headed....Good Luck
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

If you are talking about me. If not sorry for pointing at you lol
    Yes I have only lost 25 pounds on scale but I have dropped from 33% body fat to 23.5% body fat and have increased my lean mass by 7.169 lbs. in 9 weeks. My info comes from doctors, Nurses, and Nutritionlist.

Pretty sure your numbers arent a 2% toward goal so no I wasnt speaking to you.

However, lol - your stuff about why you have to eat breakfast made me laugh so hard I snorted.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Eat breakfast. Your body hasn't eaten for 10-12 hours and it needs nourishment. You'll be more aware and awake, and you'll be less likely to overeat at lunch and dinner.

I agree eat breakfast... Most important meal of the day!!!