Being called " fat" by another " fatty"

Options

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    also, judging by your profile pic, if that is you then YEA you dont loooook fat, so hmmm makes me think are you one of them girls who always think they are fat just cuz they are not at the weight they wish they were at!? AND IM STATING I'M GOIN BY YOUR PICTURE.

That's fine. I have a somewhat full body pic in my profile.. I'm not small by any means.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    also, judging by your profile pic, if that is you then YEA you dont loooook fat, so hmmm makes me think are you one of them girls who always think they are fat just cuz they are not at the weight they wish they were at!? AND IM STATING I'M GOIN BY YOUR PICTURE.

That's fine. I have a somewhat full body pic in my profile.. I'm not small by any means.

I think what is thought of as being fat depends on the person- i think im fat (id love ur opinion btw spontaneous13- honesty is helpful)- but others think Im not

Some days i think oh im fat and others i realise im being silly and settle with chubby lol.

I know a few girls who really Are not fat yet refuse to stop labelling themselves this way- which i dislike and tell them this :)
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh god yes. I'm having a problem with my next door neighbor, who is obviously much bigger than I was before I started losing weight, and by the way her clothes are fitting, she's gained even more since I started losing. She called me a fat, dirty, wh**e. I didn't let it bother me, just motivates me even more to lose the weight.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I call my 2 friends fat b!tche$ but only because they want me to. It is slightly awkward though because I outweigh one of them by probably at least 70 pounds. LOL
  • stlinares
    stlinares Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Got into an argument with somebody. While I'm a "live and let live" kinda person, if somebody pisses me off then my tongue has no leash.

The person said to his buddies pointing towards me in the middle of the argument "This fatass is pissing me off now" to which my reply was "B1tch please, you so fat your momma couldn't even find your d1ck when she was trying to suck it".

Oh my. You stooped WAY lower to what the guy said. That's a horrible thing to say to anyone.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm Puerto Rican so, all my life I heard " gordita".. Kind of grew up not likeing it though lol.

Yea, same here. Gordita the way I always heard it used had nothing to do with being pretty or not. It definitely was used to describe any girl who was fairly chubby, whether or not she was pretty. I definitely wouldn't take it in a good way, lol.

I know the girl who used that term for me, and she did not mean it in a bad way at all so I'm not going to assume she did.

I know a lot of hispanics mean it as a term of endearment, but some of us ( in my family) that grew up a little detached from the Hispanic culture.. still found it a little insulting, but we still knew better.

Yeah, the girl who said it meant it as a term of endearment, and she is a sweetie. I just don't usually assume people are insulting me unless it's obvious.

Oh yes! It can be a term of endearment when used by family and close friends. I was just meaning when someone refers to a stranger as a "gordita" they are not necessarily referring to them as a very pretty chubby woman, they can just be describing the chubby aspect. If a stranger were to call me a gordita they may very well mean it in an insulting way, so they might be expecting a slap from me, lol.
    Then again, I speak only spanish to a majority of my family, and when I was younger they called me gordita sometimes, but never meant it maliciously. It all depends on who is saying it.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I don't like being called fat, chunky, big, or any of the above names by ANYONE, muchless from someone who has no room to speak! And for those who are bashing the OP, she did NOT call anyone "fat." If I am reading correctly, large women called her "fat."

You're not reading correctly. She called the woman who called her fat a fatty. So we can hem and haw all we'd like but those are the facts.

ETA: Nevermind. Apparently putting it in quotes makes it ok to call someone a fatty. How dumb of me.

This is the conversation that I was responding to. The self depreciating "how dumb of me" was not a necessary comment. I am 100% open to differing opinions, freedom of speech, and open forums. We are all entitled to our own opinions. There are several forums that I do not agree with each day. But, if my comment is going to be one of a negative nature, I typically just avoid posting. MFP is not about negativity, or unconstructive criticism. I did not demand that the poster stay away from a forurm merely because he did not agree, I just pointed out that sarcasm was not necessary.

I am sorry if that offended anyone. That was just MY opinion.

I do think that the original post described a very common situation. We all encounter that situation at one point , and we are all here because we want to improve and better ourselves in one way or another.

Happy Tuesday Everyone!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I've dropped that "WE" word before. For me I guess when it comes out I'm not really thinking about how it will effect the other person, and because I don't get offended by it, I assume (we all know how that works in the world) that other people wouldn't be either.

This is the running joke comic between me and my best friend...who has lost 100lbs! (She is kicking my *kitten* at this weight loss LOL)

381390_247061268692099_100001646832864_686969_1339864457_n.jpg
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm Puerto Rican so, all my life I heard " gordita".. Kind of grew up not likeing it though lol.

Yea, same here. Gordita the way I always heard it used had nothing to do with being pretty or not. It definitely was used to describe any girl who was fairly chubby, whether or not she was pretty. I definitely wouldn't take it in a good way, lol.

I know the girl who used that term for me, and she did not mean it in a bad way at all so I'm not going to assume she did.

I know a lot of hispanics mean it as a term of endearment, but some of us ( in my family) that grew up a little detached from the Hispanic culture.. still found it a little insulting, but we still knew better.

Yeah, the girl who said it meant it as a term of endearment, and she is a sweetie. I just don't usually assume people are insulting me unless it's obvious.

Oh yes! It can be a term of endearment when used by family and close friends. I was just meaning when someone refers to a stranger as a "gordita" they are not necessarily referring to them as a very pretty chubby woman, they can just be describing the chubby aspect. If a stranger were to call me a gordita they may very well mean it in an insulting way, so they might be expecting a slap from me, lol.
    Then again, I speak only spanish to a majority of my family, and when I was younger they called me gordita sometimes, but never meant it maliciously. It all depends on who is saying it.

Exactly.

The funny part about it was that (as a white girl who just learned to count to ten in spanish like 3 months ago), I was thinking, "Why did she call me a taco?" LOL
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've dropped that "WE" word before. For me I guess when it comes out I'm not really thinking about how it will effect the other person, and because I don't get offended by it, I assume (we all know how that works in the world) that other people wouldn't be either.

This is the running joke comic between me and my best friend...who has lost 100lbs! (She is kicking my *kitten* at this weight loss LOL)

381390_247061268692099_100001646832864_686969_1339864457_n.jpg

Haha awe that's cute.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've found that when people who are overweight make fun of other people's weight they are just trying to mask their own insecurities and make themselves feel better (usually the reason behind most bullying and teasing!). I've been made fun of by some people that weren't exactly model-material themselves. It stings but they're probably just jealous in one way or another! (I may be fat but I have a hot husband and two adorable kids lol)
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the gordita!

OP I know you're just ranting, but unless someone means a comment as an insult, don't take it that way. People make observations and blurt things out without understanding the implications of their word choices all the time. Its impossible to know what will be insulting to another person. You happen to be okay with "larger woman" but not fat to describe the same exact thing. Someone else in the world might have life experiences to make "larger woman" an insulting phrase. The gordita comment is a perfect example of this- people with different cultures an non-native english speakers may have totally different interpretations of words. Its never, ever going to change no matter how much it annoys you.

Nicely said.

As for the OP. I have been called 'bigger' but what's funny is it was a similar comment of "Us larger..." or "We are..." and the other person was someone I consider to be 'smaller'/fit/not-large in any regard. It's all perspective & intention. Truthfully I don't like when I feel, look or am called large, big, fat, etc in any way - or even implied. It's not that I'm insulted, it's just that it personally makes me uncomfortable/embarrased. I realize when describing someone, generally you will have to refer to size though. As for commentary on self. I know people who are friends that call themselves (and sometimes myself) b*tches, d*cks, etc - why we do this as people? I dunno, but I tend to just shrug it off.

I'm sure there's things I say that may bother someone in an aspect I don't realize.
  • eemielwy
    eemielwy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know that I feel more comfortable around other "fatties" and that a lot of other "fatty" women do, too. Cruelty doesn't stop after high school, you know. Just last week a grown man moo'd at me from his car in a crosswalk. It's easier to try to make friends with people you think are more likely to accept you. She was probably just trying to encourage camaraderie. Give the gal a break.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    you may burn in hell for your NANNY NANNY NANNY, but I'll be right there to keep you company!

Oh god, I just realized you meant the word "Nanny" what I would have put as "Neener." ......I'm sitting here reading this thread like....."why is she calling her a nanny? Is there a stereotype about nannies being fat? That's not funny."

No.....I will openly call myself big [and mean it] in front of girls who are techincally bigger....and it's not that I'm trying to make them feel uncomfortable....actually, I don't even call mysefl fat....but I'll just subtly say, "I'm working on that" if the topic arises.

The truth is......when I see someone bigger than me, especially if its a close friend or something, I think nothing of it. I honestly think, "No, no, you're fine, don't think you have to lose weight.".....yet if I were their weight, I'd be so upset. Somebody figure that messed up logic out.

Lol at what being FAT has mentally done to me.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options

The truth is......when I see someone bigger than me, especially if its a close friend or something, I think nothing of it. I honestly think, "No, no, you're fine, don't think you have to lose weight.".....yet if I were their weight, I'd be so upset. Somebody figure that messed up logic out.

Lol at what being FAT has mentally done to me.

ooooh I *detest* when someone says that to me. "no you dont need to loose weight" or "you dont need to loose that much"... EXCUSE ME! Aside from the fact that everyone should be allowed to decide what is their goal for their own body (barring mental illness), the unhealthy aspect of being obese should make it a requirement for me to loose weight. And someone, especially someone close to me, saying "nono you dont need to" feels like someone saying "no you dont need to be healthy". It also helps strengthen any delusions I have of not being all that fat - I usually think I am thinner than I actually am, telling me its fine puts me in a false safe zone.

I'm fine with someone trying to be kind and saying "but you dont look that fat" or "you carry it well".. but telling me I don't need to is just silly. Tripple so if the person is herself trying to loose 10 pounds.
    I know that I feel more comfortable around other "fatties" and that a lot of other "fatty" women do, too. Cruelty doesn't stop after high school, you know. Just last week a grown man moo'd at me from his car in a crosswalk. It's easier to try to make friends with people you think are more likely to accept you. She was probably just trying to encourage camaraderie. Give the gal a break.

That might be true. You sort of assume that people who come from the same place/look similar/are into the same hobbies/etc will be more approachable than someone who doesn't. That includes someone of the same shape, size and colouring. Being fat is something that two people can have in common, though we will experience it slightly differently there are certain commonalities. Like "where do you buy your clothes", or complaining about the size of airplane seats :P With fat being one of the things picked on in school (and onwards) it's a touchy thing to declare you have in common with a stranger though. Most things you get picked on for, are touchy subjects.. I've met nerds that are touchy about talking of that as a common ground since they were picked on for that. I put "us fatties" in the same group as "us blondies" or "us gingers" too (heard it said, not one of either so :P ..more of a kinderegg). If the person being talked to is fine with that nickname she will grin and keep talking.. if the person is vulnerable to it they will take offense.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am a writer of fiction and a moderately well-followed blog called "A Fat Girl & A Fat Horse". I have long ago stopped considering the word "fat" to be anything more than a descriptor - the same as the fact that I am tall, blonde, and fair skinned. One of my dearest friends who also struggles with her weight was SO offended and upset that I referred to myself in that way. We have had many a conversation about this. Fat does not have to be a "bad word" - when it is used as an insult - well, I consider the people who sling it for the purpose of offending to have much larger problems with their lives than the fact that I am fat.

I am completely comfortable with myself now, I was completely comfortable with myself 75lbs ago and you know, that was really the first step to success in losing the weight. I accepted myself and recognized that my value was not tied to a number on the scale or a sometimes-used-as-an-insult descriptor word. It was truly the first step to happiness and freedom. I don't want to lose weight because I want to stop being able to be described as "fat" (come on, I was 10lbs11oz when I was born, I am 6' tall with size 12 feet, I will ALWAYS be "fat" by SOMEBODY'S standards, even at my goal weight) but because I want to have a stronger, faster, more powerful body than I have right now. And if I didn't lose a pound or an inch in the process, I would be completely okay with that. It was truly an epiphany.
  • Nanou1975
    Nanou1975 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The only way to deal with this is being open and honest with that person and tell her that you understand that she is not being malicious at all with her comment and she's just trying to be cute, but it's just not something that you find cute in any way and you would prefer that in respect to both of you that the comment stops. Remind her that if she uses those words, then people will think they can use them too, then she loses the right to be upset.

Her reaction and her thoughts about your sensitivity about the words/subject is her opinion and views and have nothing to do with you. Remember that no one will respect you if you don't. If it's something that bothers you and you don't voice your feelings, you are lacking self respect.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    There was a woman who was at least twice my biggest size who once asked to borrow a clothing item of mine and complained it was "more snug than I thought, do you have a bigger one from when you were bigger?" I may be kind of an *kitten*, but I was never anywhere NEAR her size and for her to think I was... infuriated me.
  • gemmm85
    gemmm85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This happend to me last night actually by two girls who were both at least two dress sizes bigger than I am. Being made fun of about your weight isn't nice anyway, but it's just a huge cheek when the person is bigger than you!
  • jessicastanfill
    jessicastanfill Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe you both should stop calling other women fat since it apparently bothers you so much when they do it to you.

well said!!!