pregnant smokers

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I had someone ask me in a liquor store "Should you be drinking?" I was very pregnant and picking up beer for my husband :huh:

"Of course! I'm drinking for two now." (pats belly)
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    every is mentioning legal rights, but yet conveniently fail to mention human rights, ethical rights, moral rights, social rights. I feel they are equally important.

Why? Again, "not in my back yard" mentality.
    The other rights you speak of are completely subjective. Your ethics and morals are not the necessarily the ethics and morals of me or her or her or him.

I concur, fully.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I had someone ask me in a liquor store "Should you be drinking?" I was very pregnant and picking up beer for my husband :huh:

"Man, my tolerance has gone way up since this little critter started taking his share."
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    every is mentioning legal rights, but yet conveniently fail to mention human rights, ethical rights, moral rights, social rights. I feel they are equally important.

Why? Again, "not in my back yard" mentality.
    It's because too many people in this country get on their high-horse and try to dictate other people's behavior. You seem to be one of them. Since when is "live and let live" political correctness?

I'll let you carry on with that since you don't know me, but think you do.

again, I feel that is what is wrong with society. Live and let live so much that no one takes responsibility.
    Meanwhile, the mature among us will choose to mind our own business as we know that we all do things that others could scorn and life would be even more difficult if everyone was confronting everyone else about their pet peeves.

There you go, that is the answer I was looking for.......
    Now, if more people would just.........think.
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    My mom smoked with all three pregnancies. no issues from it, though there were probably less chemicals in the things back then! lol
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is just fat.
    Unless her fat is shaped into beach ball roundness and only in her abdomen.....I'd say she's prego!

I don't care...unless I actually see a protruding baby part, I am *not* going to assume that she's pregnant....

...no way...

...not going to make that mistake...

...again.

:indifferent:

OH MY GOSH!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Nobody in this thread is in favour of pregnant women smoking.

Speak for yourself! I think it makes the fetus look totally cool and popular

True. Especially when it wears the in utero leather jacket. HOT!
  • texaricangirasol
    texaricangirasol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I really wish you had to get a license to have children, and that the stupid people wouldn't reproduce. My heart breaks for the children who have parents that don't give a crap.

This is perfect....

And if you fail to protect your child or abuse and neglect them, then you should not be allowed to have more children.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I really wish you had to get a license to have children, and that the stupid people wouldn't reproduce. My heart breaks for the children who have parents that don't give a crap.

This is perfect....

And if you fail to protect your child or abuse and neglect them, then you should not be allowed to have more children.
    And the inquisitors who get to decide these things are perfect and capable of casting the first stone...oh no...wait.
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options

"Man, my tolerance has gone way up since this little critter started taking his share."

"And having a built in designated driver is so super convenient!" :laugh:
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Edit: Withdrawal from smoking is never so bad that it should stress you out to a point of a miscarriage. If it's truly that bad, how bout' not having kids?
    It shouldn't stress YOU out that bad, but the stress of withdrawal is even worse on the fetus
    Seriously, if you quit within the first 2 months, that's not going to happen.
  • surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's not her business if the baby comes out with some deformity that our tax dollars have to pay for the rest of its life - just because the stupid, young, smoking mom has no self respect!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Effing gross. I can't STAND it when I see or hear of pregnant women smoking. WTF?:sick:

It is GROSS!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    People keep making comments on how there Mom smoked when pregnant, I don't think they new back then what they know now.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.

Seriously? so you think after that poor baby is born its ok for it to go through nicotine withdrawal......this is terrible, poor mommy can't go through nicotine withdrawal but screw the baby!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Mind your own business. It's hard not to say anything, but it wouldn't do any good. As an ex-smoker I know a person isn't going to quit until they make the decision to quit on their own.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's not her business if the baby comes out with some deformity that our tax dollars have to pay for the rest of its life - just because the stupid, young, smoking mom has no self respect!

Deformities aren't usually caused by smoking. Low birth weight, heart defects, certain brain disorders and underdeveloped lungs are the primary risks.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's just not worth it. My mam gave up for all her three children, but took it back up between and after. She smokes a couple a day, which seems like a harder thing to give up than a 20 a day smoker. Oh well. She did the right thing for the pregnancies and that's what matters, you can do what you want to your own body, but shouldn't do so for a baby that can't look after itself.

Whether you can tell a stranger that is a dangerous kind of confrontation, I guess.
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    One thing I will point out is that we don't know what else is going on in her life and what sort of stress she is under. Whilst as someone who gave up smoking a year ago following bronchial pneumonia , I would say she shouldn't be smoking and she should know better , there is some evidence that nicotine does lessen the effects of psychotic episodes and she may be struggling to hold things together generally and giving up smoking would be a step too far.

Maybe make friends with her , find out the situation and see if there is any way you can help if you're seriously concerned?
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I was almost born 3 months early and my mom had to be in the hospital on bed rest for 2 months (I was born at 8 months).
    Not sure if it had anything to do with smoking - but she did smoke through the rest.

She had a miscarriage all her others, again no idea if it has anything to do with smoking.

I'm not sure I would say anything though.
    It's her body and she knows she's harming her child - so how is some stranger telling her its unsafe for the baby to smoke going to change that?