Being Black

Options

Replies

• joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    what is ANYBODY any more?

I'm black, english, native american, and german. I guess. I can only know what I'm told about it. My colour is not my indentity.

I agree. But if you aren't white or look white sometimes it is harder for other people not to see it as a big part of your identity, like I suppose people sometimes see you as the black one, when it is a white majority. I suppose part of why I posted this was thinking about how for white people they don't need much to think about racial identity but I suppose it can be a thing you have to think about, through the way others view you, when you are black. It is hard to avoid the issue of race sometimes. Sorry, I hope I am not being horrible, I just thinking lots of things.

I see what you mean icemann :)
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Be yourself. We are products of our environment. If you have grown up in a predominantly white neighborhood then you would tend to behave, speak etc like your counterparts. There are Caucasians that have grown up in a predominantly black neighborhood and are products of their environment.

What is acting black? What is acting white? There is no definition of the two. People are people and you should just be yourself.

Have a great day!

Yeah.. I would like to know that too.... When someone is telling you , that you're acting white because you speak correctly, what does it tell you about this person ? lol. My answer would be " and you're acting ignorant ", Don't worry lol When people need transplants or blood transfusions I don't think they care what color of skin donor had, and that is why I don't understand why there is so much hate and racism out there.... We all bleed red,,,,
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to be black? Is it more than a race? Someone told me I am 'rubbish at being black'. I live in a mainly white area, my friends and everyone around me is therefore mostly white. Racially, I identify as mixed race/latino/person of colour/black depending on whatever I want. I'm a happy go lucky boy. Why do I feel so bad that someone told me I am apathetic and not doing what I should? I just try to be a good PERSON, I don't think too much about being a good black person. Sometimes I guess I would like to know more people my own race so I don't feel a little different ffrom time to time, but I don't like to say it because it sounds like I am ungrateful for my lovely friends, when really I love them, and it isn't their fault we don't live in a diverse area. I hope it is not bad. I just interested in some thoughts because this is a forum of people cleverer than me! I hope I cause no offence. xxxxxx

I think you sound like a sensible person. I don't going around thinking "I'm white", so why on earth should you be expected to think about being black or mixed race or whatever. Everyone's got a mixture of backgrounds. You're just you.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you're a good human who cares what color your skin pigmentation happens to be.

^^THIS!!

I don't care if you are purple or green or rainbow colored. Be who you are because that's what we are all best at doing!!
  • joselo2
    Options
    ^^^^^^ YES! Like when people complain about black and asian doctors. Would they complain if they woke up in intensive care to find a non white doctor saved their life? OMG!
    xxx
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options

I'm black, english, native american, and german. I guess. I can only know what I'm told about it. My colour is not my indentity.

I agree. But if you aren't white or look white sometimes it is harder for other people not to see it as a big part of your identity, like I suppose people sometimes see you as the black one, when it is a white majority. I suppose part of why I posted this was thinking about how for white people they don't need much to think about racial identity but I suppose it can be a thing you have to think about, through the way others view you, when you are black. It is hard to avoid the issue of race sometimes. Sorry, I hope I am not being horrible, I just thinking lots of things.

I see what you mean icemann :)

Yeah, I get that. Look at our president even. He's White as much as he's Black yet his tone of skin determines his 'label'. Just freakin stupid thing about humans.

And trust me - I look white...and while living in South East Alabama, I had to think about racial identity. Where my likes, and tone, and vibe more-closely identifies with folks of colour, I'd get crazy looks for talking to folks outside my skin tone. :( Crazy looks from both of the major ethnic groups around me.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

And this! I am English, Welsh, Asian, Gypsy. There might be some African in there from the 17th century, no one's sure. I have blonde hair and blue eyes, but my son looks Asian and has Mongolian blue spot.

We're all from Africa if you go back far enough.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Roxy hit the nail on the head! Be yourself!! Don't worry about what anyone else says.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I am gay too as it happens! I see what you mean about bad thing of being white straight male is not being allowed to promote anything. The good thing of it though is not HAVING to, because I don't think I am up to representing anyone, I am just trying to do a good job of being one individual! I don't mean to let any side down, I don't even know I am on a side. I don't think I even am able to express what I mean, I just want to be happy and good.

And good for you!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

We all get it in some shape or form from folk with huge chips on their shoulder (apologies if this fails to translate well into American English... a chip on the shoulder indicates a psychological "hangup" of some sort not walking around with fries on your back!!).

I know women who define themselves as "feminists" for instance and who think they can go around telling other women how they should conduct themselves.

These people have an agenda that focuses on changing the world so much, they often don't take much time to look at themselves.

Be happy, be you.

Yep - absolutely agree!

I'm very fortunate that I never experienced any type of racism growing up or even well into my 30's... It wasn't until my husbnd and I worked overseas (won't say where because I don't wish to be accused of generalising and bad mouthing a country) and we were SHOCKED at the blatant and down right disgusting racism exhibited by almost every person we met from this particular country. I honestly never realised how bad it could be... We were so sad to see it! :(

People are people no matter what their skin colour, gender, sexual preference or background is... Judge a person on who they are as a person and how they behave,.. Thats all there is to it in my mind!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

This. Nor should it be anyone's.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    If you're a good human who cares what color your skin pigmentation happens to be.

Amen. I dont care what your skin color is, I care about how people treat people.

Nicely said. If others are treating you poorly that only shows who they are; not who you are.
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    Be yourself. We are products of our environment. If you have grown up in a predominantly white neighborhood then you would tend to behave, speak etc like your counterparts. There are Caucasians that have grown up in a predominantly black neighborhood and are products of their environment.

What is acting black? What is acting white? There is no definition of the two. People are people and you should just be yourself.

Have a great day!

Yeah.. I would like to know that too.... When someone is telling you , that you're acting white because you speak correctly, what does it tell you about this person ? lol. My answer would be " and you're acting ignorant ", Don't worry lol When people need transplants or blood transfusions I don't think they care what color of skin donor had, and that is why I don't understand why there is so much hate and racism out there.... We all bleed red,,,,

True story - I have a decent stereo in my car. Playing Tupac "Changes". I pulled out into traffice one day, and got RIGHT beside a dropped buick with a few brothers inside. They Looked over RIGHT when the lyric said "...cop's give a damn about a negro - pull the trigga kill a n*** he's a hero!"

The guy in the passenger seat of the buick looked at me with a WTF? Look. I just solemnly nodded, slowly. He looked, smiled and returned the nod..

Truth is truth. Truth spans all colours. :)
  • joselo2
    Options
    And trust me - I look white...and while living in South East Alabama, I had to think about racial identity. Where my likes, and tone, and vibe more-closely identifies with folks of colour, I'd get crazy looks for talking to folks outside my skin tone. :( Crazy looks from both of the major ethnic groups around me.

Aww... good on you rising above it. I think it is a shame we have a world where likes and interests can identify you with one race more than another, it shouldn't matter, this is the problem, people got ideas about what black and white should be like.

I think people should be able to know and appreciate their background racially and culturally. Which is part of why I hate when people say 'you're not like most black people' (as either compliment or insult) or tha they don't 'see me as black anymore (meaning like they see past it I guess)'. What does it mean? I am, why deny it if there is nothing bad about it. I don't mean to dismiss that of anyone. I would carefully say that people who look white, whatever their mix though, don't experience racism like people who look black do though. However, I think stereotyping and seperatism hurts us all, as you have described.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think it's really sad that some people have chained themselves so much to stereotypes that they bash others for not following them. True freedom and true equality means everyone is free to be themselves, regardless of their ethnic origin, gender or anything else.

I think it's good for people to be proud of their cultural heritage, whatever their background, but that does not mean anyone has to act any particular way in order to "prove" anything. Everyone should be themselves, and if you grew up in a culturally diverse area and you picked up things from other cultures, that's part of your identity and who you are, and should be celebrated, not frowned upon. I love being a part of a very culturally diverse community.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying. I like to read, I like the beach, the NFL, I like to run, I count calories, I cut the cord meaning I watch most of my entertainments through HULU, crackle and Amazon, I buy a good 80% of non grocery items off of Amazon, I listen to a ton of podcast, I enjoy talk radio, etc. I have to say that people everywhere like one thing or another but I guess what throws some people off is that you may sometimes choose to hang with people not in your 'stereotypical group' or prefer to do things drastically different than in such group. One very obvious thing would be to speak correctly.

I still do and like doing a lot of things that would be required per my ethnicity, but there's always people that feel either disrespected because somehow you are denying you roots, or you'll be alienated for pretending to be someone who you are not or a wannabe as some may put it.
    Of course the vast majority of people don't think like that but I agree there's a no man's land in between. Either you are good "_____" (fill in stereotype) or you are pretending to be someone who you are not according to them anyway.

All things considered this is a relatively small problem, however given that humans are very social by nature, being socially (verbally or implicitly) admonished can erode one's confidence over time.
    The solution: just be yourself :)
  • joselo2
    Options
    I think it's really sad that some people have chained themselves so much to stereotypes that they bash others for not following them. True freedom and true equality means everyone is free to be themselves, regardless of their ethnic origin, gender or anything else.

I think it's good for people to be proud of their cultural heritage, whatever their background, but that does not mean anyone has to act any particular way in order to "prove" anything. Everyone should be themselves, and if you grew up in a culturally diverse area and you picked up things from other cultures, that's part of your identity and who you are, and should be celebrated, not frowned upon. I love being a part of a very culturally diverse community.
    YES, everything you just said, you clever, clever person!! :D I indentify with the many and various influences that make me meeeee. xxx
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    Malibu's Most Wanted? Based on my life story.

Word.

:P
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    *not black -- disclaimer*

This is an interesting question to me. A black friend of mine posted a question on FB a couple weeks ago asking his black friends if they consider themselves American or black. Only one person said they weren't mutually exclusive. Most of them said they were black and even though they were born in and lived in America, they were not American.

Also, I have two friends who are black and are teachers and they try to teach their students to speak with proper grammar and they said the parents come in and tell them not to because that's "white."

I have thoughts on that mindset, but I feel like since I'm NOT black, I don't really have a right to express them.
  • fatboymax
    Options
    I am filipino and grew up in a white french area of montreal. I know what you are going through. I didnt have a lot of ethnic friends growing up. All my friends are white english or french. As i got older, i did hear the same thing you are talking about. I ignored that type of ignorance throughout my childhood. The only thing i knew i needed to do was teach my kids where they came from. I feel like as long as you know where you come from and are grateful for everything you have now ... that makes you a good person ... period!
  • DetroitDarin
    Options

I have thoughts on that mindset, but I feel like since I'm NOT black, I don't really have a right to express them.

That's kinda racist...sorta...I mean...You're not 'not-black'. You are a person. Thousands have died for your right to express whatever the hell you want within the scope of accountablility for those thoughts, and what-not.

Speak. This thread is full of lots of voices. Nobody is getting *****y or hurt. We (society) needs MORE frank discussion like this.