where are my nerds?!?!?

Options

Replies

• Eleisabelle
    Options
    Only thing that I haven't gotten into was Dr. Who which my nerd card has been threatened multiple times for not viewing.

Geek cred requires The Doctor.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Only thing that I haven't gotten into was Dr. Who which my nerd card has been threatened multiple times for not viewing.

Now which one...original or newer (or both)

Both are on my to-watch list, just haven't found the time to watch.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options

Start with the original. The new one is good, too, but just doesn't work without the original.

Besides, you're not there if you can't name your favorite Doctor (4, here).
  • whoviangleek
    Options
    Hard core geek here. I may or may not have dressed up as a klingon.

When people ask me how I'm losing weight I say "Adipose".

Yes! :D Weren't they just adorable?
  • whoviangleek
    Options
    Right Here. Total nerd girl. Into Fantasy, Sci Fi, had a massive comic collection when I was younger, play video games better than guys. I read for fun, shocking I know, got straight A's in school and think studying and learning is made of win. I watch(ed) Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Monty Python. I prefer the book versions of LotR and Harry Potter, and everything else though Hunger Games wasn't bad, and think a real book is more awesome than my Kindle. So if this doesn't make me a nerd....no clue what I am then.

Thank you for your love of real books! If anyone ever got me a Kindle as a gift, I would smash it with a hammer!
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Start from 2005 anything before that will prob drive you mad these days, but i saw them all growing up as my parents are massive dr who fans and my dad collects them and everything Dr Who Related.
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Right Here. Total nerd girl. Into Fantasy, Sci Fi, had a massive comic collection when I was younger, play video games better than guys. I read for fun, shocking I know, got straight A's in school and think studying and learning is made of win. I watch(ed) Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Monty Python. I prefer the book versions of LotR and Harry Potter, and everything else though Hunger Games wasn't bad, and think a real book is more awesome than my Kindle. So if this doesn't make me a nerd....no clue what I am then.

Thank you for your love of real books! If anyone ever got me a Kindle as a gift, I would smash it with a hammer!

Take it, sell it and buy lots of books :-) they will never be the wiser
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Gaiman

OMG DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE SANDMAN ANNOUNCEMENT HE MADE AT SDCC???

I literally *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*'d for 5 minutes.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Here!
  • LessStephMoreLove
    Options
    Here! Star Trek <3 Piano <3 and CATS <3
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Gaiman

OMG DID YOU HEAR ABOUT THE SANDMAN ANNOUNCEMENT HE MADE AT SDCC???

I literally *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*'d for 5 minutes.

YES! I can't believe he's going to do it, but I'm just drooling about it!
  • whoviangleek
    Options

Start with the original. The new one is good, too, but just doesn't work without the original.

Besides, you're not there if you can't name your favorite Doctor (4, here).

I haven't seen the original yet. Favorite Doctor is 10. Also I have the "The Angels Have The Phonebox", "Delete", and "Exterminate" t-shirts as well as a TARDIS mug and 11th sonic screwdriver that is an actual screwdriver.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options

Start from 2005 anything before that will prob drive you mad these days, but i saw them all growing up as my parents are massive dr who fans and my dad collects them and everything Dr Who Related.

Aww... you make me sad with this. You can't even get the full significance of Sarah Jane's encounter with the 10th Doctor if you haven't seen the 4th Doctor... and that takes you back to the 70s.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I have a software engineering degree, I used to have a Red Dwarf "Smoke Me A Kipper" t-shirt, I can quote vast tracts of The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and I know this much pi off by heart ... 3.14159265358979323846.

And I thought The Big Bang Theory was a reality show ;)

Ok, you got me beat!! (And I've read Anna Karenina for fun and LOVED Calculus!)
  • Icaw
    Icaw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people call themselves nerd because they enjoy pop culture.

a7fcb2f0845ab5f95cf6f7f29b718d07.jpg

Well depicted.
    I don't hate though. OP is sweet. I appreciate her sentiment.

I AM ONE OF YOUR KIND... Kinda.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

Both.

I have every episode ever aired of Doctor Who (including reconstructions of the episodes lost in the BBC fire :sad: ), and have watched the entire existing body of Whovianism at least twice. My patient wife has even watched (and for the large part admitted to enjoying) the older Doctor Who episodes as well as the new ones.

I will say that the reconstructions are a bit of a chore. They used production stills and the original soundtrack to hack together the episode.

Having said that, they are two very different series. The new one is very flashy and special effect-y and modern. The old one is far more varied in quality, starting out with generally better storytelling and few effects, then drifting with playing around with comedy, horrible effects, and cheesy dialogue.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I used to consider myself more of a Geek than Nerd because I am an IT Consultant but my interest in technology has waned. I hate Star Trek probably from being forced to watch it as a child along with 50's musicals. But I am a retired Geek because I really don't give a care about technology anymore. I just use it to make money so I can be outdoors. Give me sun, sand, saltwater...fishing pole...kayak...SUP. That's what I love...

Great article about this subject:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

Darn. Based upon this article, I'm just a dork.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wownerd reporting in. Hit me up on TN if you are one too :). I love way too much of the "nerd" culture
  • Rebel2267
    Options
    I'm in this club. Grew up on Star Wars, D&D, Star Trek, now into WoW, Star Craft II, and Diablo III... oh, and I work in IT.

Edit...all of this might explain why I also can chime in on the Are you Single? thread. Hmmmmm...
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    PS. My husband insisted we do the MENSA test and we both became members of MENSA.

Also son no. 3 is named Benjamin. Husband said 'Under no circumstances is the new baby to be called after anyone in Star Wars or Star Trek, so I suggested Benjamin.

(Ben Kenobi, in case you don't know Obi Wan Kenobi-Star Wars and Benjamin Sisko-Deep Space 9!)

I saw it as a challenge!