New C25K for the New Year

Options

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    :smile: Did w1d2 on Thursday (the 7th) but forgot to post! Will be doing day 3 today or tomorrow (we've been reorganizing the house :tongue: so I'm not sure if I'll have time today!:smile:

Welcome, Sara (and any other newbies!):flowerforyou: The more the merrier!

Everyone seems to be doing so well at this. I hope we all keep it up!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • melissahager
    Options
    Tomorrow I start week 2! Very excited! I can't believe I am keeping up with this program and actually enjoying it.
    Melissa
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    :smile: Got w1d3 done last night but I think I will repeat week 1. I'm not sure I'm ready for week 2 yet!:laugh:

Kathy
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Completed another week 4 day today. It's still so difficult for me. I know I'm improving because I have actually been able to get through it 3 times now, but I feel stuck. I don't know if I should try to push on the week 5 or if I should just stay on week 4 until it's easier.
  • ERnurse
    ERnurse Posts: 77
    Options
    I am starting week 2 tomorrow - what r ppl doing on their off days? I was thinking of doing the stairmill or something like that :)
  • melissahager
    Options
    Completed another week 4 day today. It's still so difficult for me. I know I'm improving because I have actually been able to get through it 3 times now, but I feel stuck. I don't know if I should try to push on the week 5 or if I should just stay on week 4 until it's easier.

My advice (and I have NO background with this) is to stay with week 4 again. If you try to push forward and get frustrated then you may be more apt to give up. I think I read on the coolrunnings site that the main reason people give up running is because they try to do too much too fast. Your body knows best!
    Melissa
  • melissahager
    Options
    I am starting week 2 tomorrow - what r ppl doing on their off days? I was thinking of doing the stairmill or something like that :)

I am doing the Shred video on every other day. It feels good to get some strength training in with the running program.
    Melissa
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yeahhh! just found this section of the website! I am a Newbie here, but interestingly enough I began the C25K Program last Saturday! I did W1D4 (repeated a day) yesterday, and wonder if I am ready for W2. I still get a bit winded, but I certainly am recovering quicker then I was when I first began the program.

My question is...When do you move to the next week's training ? I know that each week is a challenge but how have you determined if you should move forward or repeat a few days from the previous week?
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

On my off days I have been doing the Elliptical and upper/lower body strength training! Happy Running :)
  • pmjsmom
    Options
    Yeahhh! just found this section of the website! I am a Newbie here, but interestingly enough I began the C25K Program last Saturday! I did W1D4 (repeated a day) yesterday, and wonder if I am ready for W2. I still get a bit winded, but I certainly am recovering quicker then I was when I first began the program.

My question is...When do you move to the next week's training ? I know that each week is a challenge but how have you determined if you should move forward or repeat a few days from the previous week?

Hi mmrose! Glad you can join us!:flowerforyou:

I'm going to do each week 2 times--I have not run in DECADES and I don't want to end up quitting!:laugh:

I do the 30 Day Shred on my off days and try to get a brisk walk in on those days, too.
    I'd say to move on when you feel ready to. Try week 2 and see how it feels. You can always drop back to week 1 if you need to.

Kathy
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

For me, I moved on right on schedule for the first 3 weeks whether I felt "ready" or not. Now I've been stuck working on week 4 for about 3 weeks now. I tried 2 days, couldn't do it, moved back to week 3 for a week, then back to week 4, which I've successfully gotten through 3 times now. I think I'm going to stick with week 4 one more day and then attempt week 5.
    I personally feel no shame in back tracking to the week before if I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything by moving forward.

So, anyway that's what's been working for me. When I first started, I wasn't even able to start week -- it nearly killed me to run 60 seconds. I had to build up to it for 2 weeks. And now I'm completing week 4 (2 3 minutes runs & 2 5 minute runs).

I work out on stationary bike 6 or 7 days a week. On the days I don't do C25K, I also occasionally throw in 30 Day Shred, walking, and some strength training exercises. :smile:
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options

Whole body strength training 2x per week. Mostly squats, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, and some other compound lifts. A good walk doesn't hurt either. I walk if it's not freezing cold outside. Today...eh...it's freezing outside, so no walk.

I lost track of what week I'm actually on. I started somewhere in the middle of week 4, skipped a bit to week 5, and now I'm on what looks like the beginning of week 6. I guess I readjusted back to running fast than I thought I would, but that's fine. If I'm going to attempt a 10 mile course in May, I better get my butt in gear!
  • ERnurse
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies - and welcome to the new ladies too :) - I usually do weight the same day as I run - so thinking I will stick with other cardio on my off days jsut to build my aerobic conditioning - it is slightly pitiful :S - I will check in with everyone tonight and see how ya'll did ;)
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I'm going BL Boot Camp and Weight Loss Yoga.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    DH wants me to repeat w1 with him this week since neither of us managed to find the time to finish it last week. I would probably be ok moving on to w2 since I've been past it before, but he really isn't ready. I'll probaby go ahead at repeat w1 for him. I really want him to follow through with this and I'd hate for him to use my moving on as an excuse. So, this week it will be w1 again. I will be moving on to w2 next week.
  • ERnurse
    Options
    Okay I challenged myself today - and I skipped week 2 and went right to week three - WHOOOP :D - and I did it - I can say it was SUPER hard at one point - but I did it :D
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 68
    Options
    count me in, just started maybe being in a group will help me stay with it.
  • melissahager
    Options
    Today I did Week 2 Day 1 and it kicked my butt! I pushed through though. When I saw that I had to run for 90 sec then walk for 2 min I thought I would try to run for 90 and walk for 90 instead. UM...... NO! Totally needed that extra 30 seconds to walk before running again! I learned my lesson that I MUST follow what the schedule is. Week 2 Day 2 is on Wednesday...
    Melissa
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    DONE-ZO with week 2!!!!!!! Starting week 3 on Wednesday!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Did W2D1 today....was ok, but I think I did it too soon after lunch. I am doing WATP's 2mile, BL cardio max and free wts, on off days.... I plan on starting JM shred next week and alternate days with C25K. My goal is to workout for at least an hour or more each day. Need to rev up my metabolism and burn some fat! good luck to all you folk's attempting this! I hope we all become addicted to running in the end! :bigsmile: