"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• tezz1wifey
    tezz1wifey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Maybe people think that if they are called "African-American" they automatically think they are from Africa. Your really not Black...we should call you brown. White people should not be called white, they should be called tan. And then Asians, Why aren't they called Yellow people? Hmm..they mysteries of the world...

winner!

That has to be the funniest converstaion. I guess this is why people circle "OTHER" on there applications instead of African American, Caucasian, or Hispanic.:laugh: Funny Story. My 5-year-old daughter says that im nt black....i'm yellow. Or she would see someone with brown skin and say that he is brown not black. She would see a Caucasian person and say that they are peach and not white. If you think about it, this is true.

If you color a picture of people, in order to decipher the race, you either you a brown crayon if their black or a peach crayon if their white (unless their skin was really that color). Innocent as it may be, its the damn truth. In America, I have not met anyone that were purely white or black. Some of our family history may include all kinds of ethinicities. We say we're black or we're white because thats what we were told we were and thats what society will view us as.

However, if you think outside the box a minute, some of us should be considered "other". What is the race of a mixed child if the mom is white and the dad is black (or visa versa)??? My great grandfather was Caucasian with Blond hair blue eyes, my Great grandmother was African American and Cherokee Native.

I said all that to say this................................. I NEED A DAMN DRINK :drinker: !!! If none of this makes sense its because i have worked all day and tired as hell. :embarassed:
  • Multistyles
    Options
    I actually don't like being called African American. Never been to Africa, wasn't born in Africa. That would be like saying European American to white people. We should just be called Americans or black(even though we're really brown but i won't get that deep)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    As a white woman, I don't get the luxury of labeling myself with over-politically-sensitive ethnic descriptions. My heritage is primarily European, but my choices on a ethnic reporting survey are "White" or "Non-Hispanic". Kind of ridiculous.

If you are born in America, you're an AMERICAN. Period. No hyphenating that *kitten*. Own it.
  • ba18ba18a
    Options
    In my grandmother's generation you were Negro or colored.

In my mother's generation, you were Black. Being called a Negro was less than desirable, but you could still get away with it.

In my generation, you were African-American. During the '90's the term African-American reached a fevered pitch. Being called Black was less than desirable, and being referred to as colored or a Negro would get you cussed out.

In my children's generation, it looks like we're going back to Black. Being called African-American is less than desirable, but you can get away with it. Being called a Negro or colored will absolutely get you cussed out.

My grandmother still calls Black people colored. She's not trying to be offensive, it's simply what her generation called Black people.

I guess I could get philosophical and say we are all Americans, why does it make a difference, blah, blah, blah. However, the fact of the matter is, it's just the way our society is; Black Americans NEED to be called something.

So, with that being said, I prefer Black, and always have.

Also, if you're White, and you call a Black person a ******, you're a racist in my mind. I couldn't care less what your explanation is. Of call words to pick, why pick that one??

I love what you have to say here and it perfectly illustrates why we white people get confused. I know I don't want to offend anyone but in my 43 years the 'correct' terms have changed many times and I'm never sure what to say so I usually stick with black, white, asian or mexican when I find myself in the position of needing to describe someone's physical appearance.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

We are all from the continents known as the "America's" and the original descent of people who have a darker skin color is from the continent of Africa.

Not to be rude but that is also incorrect, not everyone with a darker skin color's heritage is derived from Africa.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a Sri Lankan might disagree with the original qoute.
  • ba18ba18a
    Options
    my fiance is Black and prefers being called Black instead of African American. He doesn't get all offended or anything if they don't though. I'm Mexican American yet I get called Hispanic all the darn time lol, everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Just like the black/African-American question from the brilliant OP, I want to know what the difference is between Mexican American, Hispanic, Latino, Tejano. If your BF is black and doesn't want to be called African American? Why do you refer to yourself as Mexican American? It's really hard to not say the wrong thing when none of it is black and white (pun intended)! I'd love some insight.

This is the best thread and I'm so proud of everyone for being so respectful. This has been fascinating to get so many different points of view. Thanks, OP, for making my day!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I say why does skin color matter? Why can't we all just be "American"??? I see people, not color. Just sayin....:-)
  • SteveMoto
    SteveMoto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I prefer brown.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    my fiance is Black and prefers being called Black instead of African American. He doesn't get all offended or anything if they don't though. I'm Mexican American yet I get called Hispanic all the darn time lol, everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Just like the black/African-American question from the brilliant OP, I want to know what the difference is between Mexican American, Hispanic, Latino, Tejano. If your BF is black and doesn't want to be called African American? Why do you refer to yourself as Mexican American? It's really hard to not say the wrong thing when none of it is black and white (pun intended)! I'd love some insight.

This is the best thread and I'm so proud of everyone for being so respectful. This has been fascinating to get so many different points of view. Thanks, OP, for making my day!

Im hppy everyone has been respectful too. but yea, i really dnt knw wht the difference is. Something sparked this question in my earlier and i really wanted an answer. But question for the Latinos too..really good question
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    can't we all just get along? it's Friday!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I say why does skin color matter? Why can't we all just be "American"??? I see people, not color. Just sayin....:-)

to some it does matter. but im tired of ppl hving to tip toe around me because they dnt want to b offensive. i mean dnt bark at them or anything...its just weird. and the funny thing is if im in a situation where i do hve to say "the black dude over there" everyone looks at me as if i cursed because everyone is on pin and needles about being "politically correct."
    does it really hve to be this complicated. lol
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

This is a noble and kind thought, but sometimes when you're trying to describe Person A to Person B, you need words to adequately describe Person A.... (i.e., short, tall, heavy-set, slim, brunette, blonde, black, white, etc)
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I prefer "soul challenged"... but I get called "ginger".... to each their own.

^ lmao YEP!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Really-They called me a cracker *kitten* *****. I don't want to be referred to as someone who ever BEAT A SLAVE W/A WHIP. Thank you. THAT is just as offensive to me. Also, they were about to get ran over and were PISSED at me for DRIVING ON THE ROAD-Funny how that can be twisted. I suppose I could have just hit them?... But by the reaction here, I chose the right thing, by defending myself verbally instead of getting scared and thinking they were packin and gonna shoot me had I said the wrong thing to them.

Stereotypes...
    RIght -- "getting scared and thinking they were packin and gonna shoot me had I said the wrong thing to them." Because that is what a lot of whites think. They live in fear, it's ridiculous.

This is so true. An ex (black) boyfriend and I went into a shop with a long queue, my ex said he didn't want to queue and was going to push in. I told him he can't do that, for various reasons including people would argue about it and it would cause tension. He said no they won't, white people are scared of black people. So, he went ahead pushed in the queue, no one said a word!!!

Sorry but I think you're naive.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Derogatory names are normal used to degrade others. Why would anyone wanna degrade the slave driver? Slave drivers were people with power over others so socially they were above others not below them. So how is calling someone with power a name be perceived as derogatory? Well mainly cause the term "cracker" does not refer to "cracking a whip"

The term "cracker" is derogatory in nature but for different reasons. The term originally was used a a racial slur to describe the poor Scottish/Irish and English farmers who had small land ( enough to feed their family). It was used by the rich British who owned huge land lots.

Now fast forward to the early British American colonies and the term pretty much carried through and was used to describe the poor Scottish/Irish/ English farmers on the frontier. And that how it came to be part of the US culture.

But what does it mean? Well the only decent definition is it was referring to the poor farmers diet of cracked corn. Which helped create cornmeal and grits the farmers food. So the term "cracker" came to refer to poor farms who "cracked corn".

Now to go to the whole East Texas situation that got people up in arms against you. I personally do not think it's entirely your fault but rather part of the blame is on laid on your "black" friends for using the "N word" with "er" in the end. Any person who uses that word to describe a person of dark complexion is simply lacking in education of the background of that word.

Remember words are just words it's the person using them that make them have an impact.
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound silly, but on the same note as the OP, this is an honest question:

In Europe, is the term "African European" ?
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I say black. My best friend is black. :) ...And from England, so couldn't use 'African-American' even if I wanted to. I don't see the issue. People refer to me as 'white'. They don't get all awkward, take it back, and say 'caucasian' instead.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

We are all from the continents known as the "America's" and the original descent of people who have a darker skin color is from the continent of Africa.

Not to be rude but that is also incorrect, not everyone with a darker skin color's heritage is derived from Africa.

with the particular shades of dark we are talking about, yes, they are and when you factor in other physical features, there are some that are distincly african. and not just all of africa, but very specific regions....certain cheek bones, nose widths, etc. they aren't scientific in terms of DNA, but they are evolutionary features of humans that developed in response to the geography of their original homeland.

there is also a large arab population from the northern parts of africa. there are different shades of different skin colors on the asian continents, again, based on the geography of the land. i am talking origins of race here. well, of the differences in skin color. race is social construct that came much later. but when we discuss certain shades and physical features, and when we refer to the now constructed racial group of "african" or "African american" their descendants ARE from the continent of Africa.

I promise. I have degree in the origins of race and African American history and the diaspora. I've studied this for man years. I'm not saying this to say I'm an expert on black culture or black people...but I'm schooled in the sociological approach to black history in the diaspora.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Because only about 11-12% of the world population is American (including all of North, Central and South America) :smile:
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    And I hate when white people say they are raising their children "color blind". I prefer to raise my children to see the beautiful and amazing differences that exist between people and to appreciate and respect these differences. Being color blind implies you don't see the authentic experiences of people based on their ethnicity. Dr. King would not have supported a "color blind" society.