"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello, Moderator here.

I just wanted to say I am very proud of everyone for having a decent conversation about a very touchy subject. Normally these are shut down by page 2, but I decided to moderate as it was going well.

Very few posts were deleted and that was only because they were not on topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks,

Arewethereyet

I had a feeling it was going to get a little crazy when ppl where "eating their popcorn and waiting" but i had to go backk and clarify that this wasnt met to be insulting to anyone. Im glad to see all the decent comments too. =)
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    So, if you were to be repatriated "back to Africa", do you think the Africans would see ans accept you as African? I think it would be challenging..

wud be challanging. i hve been told many Africans (from Africa) dnt really like black folks from the states... ugh, now its black on black crime =/ guess we really just cant get along (and before someone says anything im NOT speaking for every single African person because i hve NOT met EVERY SINGLE African)

Yes I know you stated your not speaking for all Africans an I appreciate that because its simply not true. My husband has been to Africa and they are very accepting of black people from America. Of course you will have a few that do not agree with our lifestyles and such but thats to be expected with any group of people from a different place or culture. In fact they love our music and our style of dress. My husband brought back videos and plenty of pics and it was a love fest lol. I know its stated alot because I have also heard that people from Africa do not like us but its not true not the majority.

Love it! =)
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    too be be honest I don't care if I'm called black or African American; I don't even get upset by the phase "people of color", as a matter of fact I believe that phrase is still used to today mainly by african american especially when referring to women about such things as hair, skin etc... I remember once in college people used an entire class debating about which one to use when referring to students---finally after fifty minutes someone asked (as if I represent the entire population), I just called the student by their name and that will solve all problems. ----side note I truly am African American because my dad is from Egypt, mom is from Alabama ----i technically consider myself black--my father on the other hand does not although I see him as black.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    One of my close friends told me he actually hates when people call him African-American because it make him feel like LESS of an American. He said to me once (because my ancestors on my dad's side came from Scotland) "Why am I African-American and you're just American? I am no more African than you are Scottish and certainly no less American than you."

I thought it was an interesting point. Bottome line, he prefers "black" to "African-American" or "person of color."

Exactly, we all came from somewhere else down the line far enough.. Either they are American or they are not... Unless of course they hold duel citizenship in both Africa and America which would then make them African-American. Calling someone black (if they indeed are black) is no worse than someone referring to me as the bald guy or the bald white guy. It is just a way of describing who you are talking about. Nothing more nothing less. Racism only continues today because of all the PC crap that puts an emphasis on making sure no one is offended. By the way, I will be offended if you are offended by this so make sure all responses are of the PC nature. :smile:
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options

I just wanted to say I am very proud of everyone for having a decent conversation about a very touchy subject. Normally these are shut down by page 2, but I decided to moderate as it was going well.

Thanks,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator

Dear Moderator,

I think I can speak for all of us who have been following this through the day by saying thank you for letting us chat on this topic. And I do appreciate the level of sincere discussion along with the right amount of humor (some of it really funny). If we could just have more of this type of honest and open exchang of ideas, maybe we could finally heal as a nation of people regardless of background.

And a special thanks to the OP. (Edit was to include this here rather than a separate post.)
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options
    I think it's because some feel the term "black" labels them as having no background to their ethnicity, and the term African American gives more meaning to heritage(which I agree with, although Im not offended when Im called black).

If that is the case should we refer to all Americans with a hyphen. Italian-American, Mexican-American, German-American, etc.. either we are American or we are not.... unless of course someone has duel citizenship in America and another country then they are just Americans. All other words are just descriptors used to differentiate between people. I.E. the bald white guy (that is me :smile: ) the red head, the black guy, the tall girl, etc... A word only becomes offensive if we allow it to, IMHO.
  • mlynnea03
    mlynnea03 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have always believed that if you were born in America then you are a black american. If you were born in Africa and then moved to the US and became an american citizen then you are an african american. Just my thoughts. Im a white american My great great great great great great grandfather came from ireland that doesn't make me irish american. Just my thoughts for what its worth.

I agree, being called African American is not offensive for me. It is not accurate. I feel that everyone should be proud of their history and learn as much as he/she can. Black Americans and African Americans are very different culturally. I am a Black American who envy's the culture of African people, but the relation is very slim. I think the same is true for any American who has generations and generations of their people born in US.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have always believed that if you were born in America then you are a black american. If you were born in Africa and then moved to the US and became an american citizen then you are an african american. Just my thoughts. Im a white american My great great great great great great grandfather came from ireland that doesn't make me irish american. Just my thoughts for what its worth.

I agree, being called African American is not offensive for me. It is not accurate. I feel that everyone should be proud of their history and learn as much as he/she can. Black Americans and African Americans are very different culturally. I am a Black American who envy's the culture of African people, but the relation is very slim. I think the same is true for any American who has generations and generations of their people born in US.

I agree with you, but I think that especially the US government on forms and applications should have black as an option for those who are not American
  • TxAlpha
    TxAlpha Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    <----I'm brown......
  • jbgeeZy
    jbgeeZy Posts: 1
    Options
    If I'm African-American, then are white people Euro-Americans? Technically speaking, white people derived from Europe if black people came from Africa. Though we are not actually "black" but brown, black is acceptable to me. I do not like being called African-American or person of color (or colour). Last time I checked, I was born in New York, my mother was born in Alabama and my father was born in New York! Sounds like I'm American. So, if anything, I am an American who happens to be black. There's my answer!
  • lolobi1
    lolobi1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not black, but have worked with a lot of black colleagues, and they all use the term 'black'. I'm in the UK, and 'black' is actually the politically correct term here at the moment. It didn't use to be, which is why some older people can look shocked when people say it - mostly older white people, I find, who generally don't actually know any black people. The term used to be 'coloured' here, but that was deemed offensive because it suggests that white is the default and everything else has a colour. A lot of white people also say 'dark', which to me is a bit of a meaningless word - a white person can be referred to as dark if they get a sun tan!

On equal opportunities forms, people can specify whether they are 'Black English', 'Black Irish', 'Black British', etc. A colleague once refused to fill it in because there was no option for simply 'Black' or 'Black African'.

Yep good ol' UK...btw you missed the other classic UK form option of 'Black Other'!! lol
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think instead of white I want to be called German-American. I'm pretty proud of my pinkish color, huge bone structure, high tolereance for alcohol, and love of bratwurst! :drinker:

Du bist das Mädchen meiner Träume! Ich Liebe Dich! Prost!!!:drinker: :heart:
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    Options
    I think instead of white I want to be called German-American. I'm pretty proud of my pinkish color, huge bone structure, high tolereance for alcohol, and love of bratwurst! :drinker:

^^ me too :drinker:
  • Here2GetFit
    Options

Thanks,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator

Happy to see my Urkel pic made the cut :smile:
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    To me the whole idea of absolute race in the US is a little nutz. Aren't most of us racially mixed to some degree? What you are, "white" or "black", "Causasian" or African-American", is about a societal designation, more than your actual heritage, which is none of anyone's business unless you're into that kind of thing. Personally, as you can see from my profile picture, I am Pantone 11-1306 TPX in color, but what's unclear from that picture is that I have heritage from Northern Europe, Africa, North America, and I think the Middle East -- I just happened to end up super pale.

That said, I think when people are constantly giving you *kitten* about your apparent heritage or making a huge deal out of it, then you start to have to identify with it whether you want to or not, because you are forced by society to live in a fortress. And from that fortress, in addition to all the other crap of life you have to deal with, you must expend energy trying to educate people when they act like there's no actual brains in their head. I don't think anyone should have to do any of that, but it happens lots to all kinds of people. Or, if you have had to struggle to feel like it was okay to be some particular aspect of who you are, finding a way to be proud of that aspect of your identity can be super important if you want to find inner peace. I have total respect for people in both of those situations designating themselves however they so chose, but it feels to me like the most productive thing that I can do from my end is try to see individuals for who they are without seeing their "voting bloc" in front of the human they're showing themselves to be. Different if you're talking about an actual voting bloc or sociological stuff, but even then I think it's a good thing to have in your head somewhere.

If I'm picking someone out of a crowd, I try to use two descriptors (style, hair, personality, whatever) before resorting to skin color, and when I refer to skin color, I try not to do it in a way that assigns the person's social group. Someone might be super pale or super dark or kinda medium skin tone. If they then chose to tell me they identify as a member of some group, that's fine, but I'm leaving the identification to them as much as I possibly can. A little neurotic, maybe, but it's my exercise in mindful behavior and it feels fair to me. I'm a mom and before I was a mom I worked with kids. My time with kids has led me to believe that it matters a lot what kind of behavior and thinking we all model, and that is the best I could come up with for me.
  • bootcampabs
    Options
    I call them "black people." It's not offensive at all.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have several black friends and every single one of them hate the term "African American". They prefer the term "black" or even better just "American".

From my perspective "black" is a more accurate descriptor simply because that person may well be from Haiti, Jamaica, or any other place and not actually be "African American" and to refer to them as such would be very inaccurate as well as insulting to them.

As one of my close friends put it one night "I've never set foot in &$%#*&^ Africa! I'm an American!" His parents came here from Jamaica long before he was born.
  • xyril
    xyril Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I prefer the term American....but that's just me :)
  • lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    if i had to label myself it would be german/irish/danish/cherokee american... I much prefer the Heinz 57 label... takes all the guess work out. Great Topic and good posts!!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Black works well for me. But then again that is the name I was born with. All joking aside, when I was growing up "Black" was the acceptable term. It was moving from "Colored" as the polite term. Maybe that never was polite but that is what I was told. I was born in the mid 60s so I was a child in the 70s. We frequently heard terms like "Black Power" and "Black is beautiful", which I particularly liked since Black is my last name. LOL! For me I usually continue to use the term "black" if I feel compelled to use any term at all. Usually I just refer to people as my friends and only add black as a description if it is absolutely unavoidable. I prefer to see everyone as part of the human race.
    I am happy to use whatever would be comfortable for others but I honestly don't know anymore.