Lost 100 Pounds in 4 Months Done the RIGHT Way!

Options

Replies

• gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First off, amazing job! Anyone who can lose 100 lbs (regardless of the timeframe) should be admired! You clearly leveraged your determination and made it happen...bravo!

In terms of the "loose skin comment" controversy, the existence of loose skin is affected by a number of factors. The pace of weight loss can be a factor; however, it's also affected by age, how long a person was obese, how many major weight fluctuations a person has had (e.g., gaining/losing more than 50 lbs multiple times), diet (eating healthy foods, adding a bit of healthy oils, vegetables, proteins...eating clean) and genes. You can have two people who weighed the same before, eats similarly, has had similar histories and will look different after losing a chunk of weight. It's about being different human beings.

Overall, in my philosophy, I would prefer to have a bit of loose skin (which I will after being pregnant back-to-back, after being over 200 lbs for over 10 years, and after gaining losing 50 lbs over and over and over), than remain obese and be at risk for diabetes, hypertension and/or other weight-related diseases or conditions.

I have personally found that eating "clean" results in faster weight loss, even at similar calorie amounts. I weigh less than I weighed last November, am now eating similar calorie levels and doing the same workouts and am losing faster. I am eating MUCH cleaner (e.g., more fruits/veggies, some no-oil, no processed food vegan meals, lean meats, etc) and am reaping the rewards accordingly (have lost 11 lbs in two weeks).

Everyone is different...

Again, Edwin, amazing job!
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    HOLY *kitten*

Thats amazing!!!!
    Soo inspiring.

Congradulations!! You look awesome!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Wear your weight loss with pride and ignore the negative ppl that seem to find these oterwise positive posts......you are an inspiration to everyone thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    DAYM Boy, you fine!
  • dobielover1
    Options
    Great dedication
  • ennysmith
    Options
    Thanks for giving advice
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I was first going to quote the Negative Nancy who talked about loose skin, but since everyone else already did.... lol....

You look AMAZING. Like a totally different person. Love your last picture on the beach with your friends. You must have felt like a stud :) Great work my friend. Very inspirational.

And no - people losing weight that fast THE RIGHT WAY or the HEALTHY WAY is fine. Havent you ever watched The Biggest Loser :)
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    And you will need surgery to repair your skin for losing around 6 lbs a week (avg.) Losing weight that fast can have negative effects on our skin. Part of the point of losing weight is so you'll feel you look better. How are you going to feel if you lose 100 lbs in 4 mos and have tons of skin or continue and lose 200 in 8 mos. This is not something to be impatient with. Our body's and mind's need to learn this lifestyle so we can keep the weight off.

I think most with that much to lose will have loose skin regardless.

^ I agree with this.. I have lost alot of weight and still have a little to lose untill goal and I have extra skin... I worked my A** off in the gym for most of this time and I STILL have extra skin.. when you have that much body fat to lose its hard for your skin to jump back to normal.

to the op YOU LOOK AMAZING CONGRATS!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Cudos to my fellow Alabamian. You look absolutely fantastic! Congratulations on turning your life around. That much weight loss in such a short time is absolutely amazing, and really highlights your determination, dedication, and strength of character. WTG! :smokin:
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    And you will need surgery to repair your skin for losing around 6 lbs a week (avg.) Losing weight that fast can have negative effects on our skin. Part of the point of losing weight is so you'll feel you look better. How are you going to feel if you lose 100 lbs in 4 mos and have tons of skin or continue and lose 200 in 8 mos. This is not something to be impatient with. Our body's and mind's need to learn this lifestyle so we can keep the weight off.

Too funny that instead of congrats and way to keep up the hard work.. someone finds the negatives!! GO FIGURE!

I'm not trying to be mean or negative. I'm saying that in most cases people can't do that. I don't think I've ever heard of that. And yes, he did it right as far as dieting and exercising, I suppose. But, there are reasons they say to only lose 1-2 lbs a week. I think that promoting that kind of very fast weight loss is going to give people false hopes. I also believe that even people who don't have that much to lose. Like myself I've had a child and I have stretchmarks and if I tried to do that I'd have a ton of skin. I'm being very careful so I don't. So, if someone like me tried to do that I want them to be aware that excess skin is more than likely going to be an issue. And that's something I wouldn't want I'd rather wait it out and see if I still get skin. I commend him for all of his VERY HARD work and his self-control and discipline. I didn't mean to come across that way. I believe that people should know that there are going to be consequences. All he was pointing out were the positives. And I'd say yes, the positives outweigh the negatives. I just hope everyone is aware. That's all.

You need to do research. They said 1-2 pounds for moderate weight loss. OBVIOUSLY when someone loses 100 pounds, they needed to. GET A CLUE! You can give your speech to someone else because I lost over 16 pounds in three weeks. OMG THE DEVIL IS WORKING! Get a clue! The work this person has done supercedes anything and WHO GIVES A FLYING EFF if there is extra skin? At that point, your health is WAY more important than extra skin and losing that much weight is def better for your heart and internal organs. GET A CLUE LADY!! Youve seemed to take the glory out of this story but... GREAT JOB AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK are in order! YOU GO AND LOSE 100 MORE if you NEED to!!! <<applause>>

Clearly, some people missed the part where I apologized for offending anyone. That was not my intention. I see a lot of people on here asking how to avoid loose skin all the time on a lot of boards. So, that's all I was getting at. AGAIN. I AM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANY OF YOU GUYS AND THE POSTER. Since apparently, some skipped that message I posted.
  • skintimate32
    Options

THIS
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Edwin,
    Your progress is phenomenal! So glad that I saw this post and read your blog.

Thanks so much for shedding your old unhealthy skin and showing the world your gorgeous self hiding underneath. You are a stunner! The difference in your face is amazing.

You are one delicious looking specimen of a man. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You did an awesome job!! Your hard work really paid off! :drinker:
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you!!!
    YOU worked your butt off and took names!! No matter how long it takes you to loose 100+ pounds is irrelevant to the fact that YOU took it off.
    Your posts and meals are an inspiration to others...maybe do some meal ideas section on the blog?

You are right about the music. It does take your mind off of the exercise and the tempo does help. I have went to the gym twice with out the play list and I couldn't concentrate enough.
    I travel with some of the same crew and if they aren't working than a little Linkin Park screaming at me will.
  • camelotss
    Options
    That is AWESOME on all levels!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job. Strong determination, and I'm sure fighting through aches and pains that didn't stop you. I'm sure the diet aspect too was tough.

Right way though? I think that could be argued, and only want to use this as example with numbers.
    Yes the 100 lbs off is huge health improvement in general, and at certain weights in appropriate, no matter the side effects.

I don't want to detract from the accomplishment. But for others without so much to lose, inspired to try to reach this level, might want to think again.

100 lbs, if it was really ONLY fat lost, would be 350,000 calorie deficit over that whole period, let's say 17 weeks in that 4 months.
    350,000 / 17 = 20,588 calorie deficit weekly.
    202588 / 7 = 2941 calorie deficit daily.

So lets say you somehow ate 1000 calories a day, that would mean your daily energy expenditure would still have to be 3941 calories burned. While eating only 1000 calories.

I think it's safe to assume you didn't eat that little, and/or did not have that much daily activity each and every day, especially eating that little.

Therefore you did NOT lose just fat. But that's usually a given, most people know that you extreme diet, you lose muscle mass. It's just a matter of did you lose more than needed/desired? Like, who needs big calves when carrying around 100 lbs less, but did the muscle come off first or later? And which muscle?

So lets say you lost the avg deep deficit amount of muscle of 25%.
    So 75lbs fat - 262,500 / 17 / 7 = 2206 calorie deficit daily.

Why am I thinking still not realistic.

Let's go backwards, probably could lose on max an avg (more at start like 4.5, less at end like 2.5) 3.5 lbs of fat per week.
    2.5 * 17 = 59.5 lbs

So that means 40.5 lbs lean body mass, or fat-free mass, or water and muscle basically.

Would have been great if Dr wanted to use you as case study and got actual numbers to log, since that is purely estimate. Perhaps did better or worse.

Not that 60 lbs of fat isn't a huge accomplishment, it is, and a huge visual difference.
    And huge health improvement.
    But how much of the other 40 lbs was muscle, not the unneeded at current weight muscle, but that would have been nice to keep muscle? The muscle that would give higher metabolism and make rest of the journey easier?

So if anyone has read this far, not detracting from accomplishment, and each person must weigh (ah!) the pros and cons of fast weight loss.
    Many times the first 20 lbs lost along with exercise makes great heart and health increases, it's really the lack of exercise, combined with increased weight, that is so bad before.
    But there are some really fit and healthy (except for weight) people on here. Great cholesterol and blood pressure numbers, great resting HR, the extra weight is just a bad thing for the joints.
    And some don't have so much to lose. Or are older and more weight is more serious stress then.

Just wanted to run the numbers.

Great job, looking forward to the next progress report of I'm guessing strength gains from your program. Or your first marathon.
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    great job!!!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options

You do it your way and let other do it theirs. I'd be one happy girl to get rid of 6 lbs a week, loose skin and all. And I've lost 100 lbs and I expect to lose another 100 in 6,7,or 8 months and I will have loose skin, hell I already see the loose skin. But you know what it's better than the fat me and I'm sure most people feel that way. What a debi downer, to point out the obvious.
  • EdwinVelez
    Options
    When you go from eating anything in site to doing a complete life style change and eating healthy. They weight can and will come of. When it comes to muscle loss and being fit, I can say that I am the healthiest I have ever been. I run 5 to 8 miles a day averaging a 7:25 mile.

to answer how many calories I consumed in a day. I ate from 1200-1400 a day. My goal was to burn at least half of what I consumed a day at the gym, not considering what we burn on a natural daily basis.

Loose skin....Yes my skin is a little loose but not as bad as you would think. Its all about eating healthy and providing your body with the right nutrients to help with the elasticity of your skin. There are many fruits and vegetables that help with this. I also worked my core during the process. After doing my cardio, i would do 30 minutes of core.

as you can see in my profile picture, my skin does not look bad. You can click on the picture to make it bigger!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!