"BLACK or AFRICAN AMERICAN" mainly a question...

Options

Replies

• kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that both "black" and "African-American" are correct. I am sure it varies by person, as some people might prefer to be called one or the other. Myself, for example, I don't really like being referred to as "white." Call me "Caucasian," or even "Anglo," or the honest answer: "American." I just feel like "white" is actually the color of my skin not my ethnicity or really even race, and it is actually not even white - I am more apricot in color :wink:
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just use the term black. I see African American being used the same way Caucasian is to refer to white people, which is only on forms.
  • MisguidedRoses
    MisguidedRoses Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When people ask me what ethnicity I am I tell the Hispanic and Black
    If I filling out my ethnicity on a document I mark OTHER: then write American
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Did not read any of the post except for OP. So please excuse me if I've being redundant. Not all black people are of African origins etc and not all African American are Black. But it seems a few seem to want to claim that. I tell people that I am Black not African American. I am of mixed heritage from the caribbean.

I have a friend from Sierra Leon and her 5 yr old son was born here so he is truly African American. Just like a child born to Italian parents are Italian America. I knew a caucasian couple from South Africa and they consider their son African American because he was born here but people got all up in arms about it so he had to refer to himself as South African American. Total B.S

Native new Zelander(?) and Australian are black, thus they descendant should not be African American just plain black american. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't want to be called black because they feel that there is a negative connotation associate with Black. For example in Dominican Republic and Brazil, people with Dark Skin have a kazillion way to describe what their skin look like rather than saying black. Sad Sad Sad.

Enough of my rambling. The race is black nothing else!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If I filling out my ethnicity on a document I mark OTHER: then write American

:heart: that!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    ....for the Older generation. I know this is a weight loss site, but i know there's a diverse group of ppl here who i can get responses from. With that being said, why is it that some "ppl of colour" get upset when they are referred to as BLACK instead of AFRICAN AMERICAN. Maybe i hvnt spent enough time in history class, but i am black, whts the big difference?

Some people just think that African American is more respectful, but I don't think it is accurate as a label because you can be white and be "african american" if you were born in Africa and move to America...

I think if you use white and don't bother with Caucasian its fine to say black...

I mostly think its funny when I hear people referring to non-American black people as African American because its what they are used to saying. Not everyone that is black is African American, because not all black people live in America.
  • usmcjarhead3
    usmcjarhead3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As a former Marine with 4 years Iraq/Afghanistan under my belt, I never understoood this. Look at the following:

Native American
    African American
    Hispanic American
    Cuban American

What is the common denominator? AMERICAN. Like it or not, we are all Americans. Regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, religion or sexual orientation we are AMERICAN. The very melting pot of ethnicities that made this country great, because of political correctness is now threatening to be our downfall. Caucasians (which I am) are the majority race in this country right now with the Hispanics on our heels. If and when caucasians get surpassed, will that mean we can split off into European American, Italian American, Scottish/Irish American etc.? It is foolish. We are all in it for the long haul for better or worse, IMO we need to stop this nonsense and become AMERICAN. Now, I am not saying forget your ancestry and/or heritage, celebrate it and be proud of it. That's what made this country great!. Do not forget that you are AMERICAN first. Semper Fi!

Hey jarhead, not a Marine but my son was a jarhead like you and was known as a dark green Marine :laugh:
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I refer to myself as chocolate awesome

This made me giggle! LOL!
  • ThatMrs99
    Options
    I'm curious for this answer as well, as many are not even from Africa.
    I know right?
    As a black woman, I have no problem with the tern 'black'. I am not African and am so far removed that I'm not really comfortable calling myself African American. Not to mention, many black people in America are not 'African' but are from the Caribbean, Central and South America and so on - also you may have someone who is from Africa and living in America (an African American) but is Caucasian or white!
    I guess it's a matter of preference.
  • caslyn3
    caslyn3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    for some reason this thread made me think of MJ..

R.I.P. Michael!
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Not black myself, but got my undergrad degree in African-American history (focus on Civil War era). I took several courses from the same professor since the school only had one in that subspecialty. On the first day of every class, he would start with an explanation of why he used the term "African American" rather than "black" history.

He reasoned that for a very long time, African Americans were denied their African heritage. During the slave trade, Africans from the same region would be intentionally split up so that they did not share a common language or common history that they could share together. They were told for years (even up to today) that they were lucky to have been brought here, that they came from a place with nothing to be proud of, from a history of savage heathens, that they'd be living in misery if they or their ancestors hadn't been taken as slaves across the Atlantic. On top of that, they were long denied status as Americans as well. They started out as property, then became free with conditions, then became legally equal, but continue to struggle for true equality. African Americans are often seen as mere hangers-on to the greatness of America rather than an integral part of its success.

So "African American" means something different than "black." It is not merely a way to identify someone's appearance, but a way to acknowledge their history, heritage, and contribution that were deliberately ignored and denied for so long.

Not everyone sees it this way of course. Many people are just fine being called "black." And it's sometimes ridiculous how the term has come to be used to describe any person of African descent. But I don't think it's ridiculous or overly-PC to use "African American" as many people seem to gripe about.

Just my perspective.

I like the way you explained this. I understand a little clearer myself, and it makes me want to learn more about "OUR" American history. This was one subject I hated in school when I was younger, but now that I am more maturer in age, I really get interested in our past and how it came to be - with "everyone" and all events. I am actually taking a History class this semester. Thanks for sharing your perspective.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the previous threads... so I have no idea what was said..
    I'm replying because I'm sick and tired of everyone having to be black or African American. The whole fu*king thing is ridiculous to me.
    You are black... and you are African American. Why can you not be both??? I'm Scottish, but I was born and raised in America. I am efffffing American. What is that a problem?!?! I live where I live, do what I do, and am who I am. I don't understand why it matters whether you are black, negro, African.. African American, Indian, Italian or just plain here. I don't hear Italians moan and groan every day about whether they are Italians or American Italians. WHO CARES? JUST BE. LIVE. AND make your mark on the culture.
    No one is fuc*ing judging... just do what you do! And realize no one is looking at you any different than anyone looks at anyone else!!! GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm replying because I'm sick and tired of everyone having to be black or African American. The whole fu*king thing is ridiculous to me.
    You are black... and you are African American. Why can you not be both??? I'm Scottish, but I was born and raised in America. I am efffffing American. What is that a problem?!?! I live where I live, do what I do, and am who I am. I don't understand why it matters whether you are black, negro, African.. African American, Indian, Italian or just plain here. I don't hear Italians moan and groan every day about whether they are Italians or American Italians. WHO CARES? JUST BE. LIVE. AND make your mark on the culture.
    No one is fuc*ing judging... just do what you do! And realize no one is looking at you any different than anyone looks at anyone else!!! GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD.

thinks this person needs a hug.....feeling left out just a little?
  • Malrouke84
    Options
    Not black myself, but got my undergrad degree in African-American history (focus on Civil War era). I took several courses from the same professor since the school only had one in that subspecialty. On the first day of every class, he would start with an explanation of why he used the term "African American" rather than "black" history.

He reasoned that for a very long time, African Americans were denied their African heritage. During the slave trade, Africans from the same region would be intentionally split up so that they did not share a common language or common history that they could share together. They were told for years (even up to today) that they were lucky to have been brought here, that they came from a place with nothing to be proud of, from a history of savage heathens, that they'd be living in misery if they or their ancestors hadn't been taken as slaves across the Atlantic. On top of that, they were long denied status as Americans as well. They started out as property, then became free with conditions, then became legally equal, but continue to struggle for true equality. African Americans are often seen as mere hangers-on to the greatness of America rather than an integral part of its success.

So "African American" means something different than "black." It is not merely a way to identify someone's appearance, but a way to acknowledge their history, heritage, and contribution that were deliberately ignored and denied for so long.

Not everyone sees it this way of course. Many people are just fine being called "black." And it's sometimes ridiculous how the term has come to be used to describe any person of African descent. But I don't think it's ridiculous or overly-PC to use "African American" as many people seem to gripe about.

Just my perspective.

I like the way you explained this. I understand a little clearer myself, and it makes me want to learn more about "OUR" American history. This was one subject I hated in school when I was younger, but now that I am more maturer in age, I really get interested in our past and how it came to be - with "everyone" and all events. I am actually taking a History class this semester. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Big bump to this. My additional two cents here is that each individual needs to also retain their connection to the perspective of their identity - it's something of a free will choice that really shouldn't be defined by others, a personal nuance or comfort bubble. Not everyone knows the whole length of their lineages, there are some who do, and I imagine there are many who don't ponder the notion much and prefer to live in the present.

All that aside though, there are lessons that bear repeating when the same mistakes are made when we ought to know better. "People of Colour" was the 'Gentile' way of reffering to African-Americans in the early to mid 1900s. Many times we see the elderly hold onto this phrase purely because it was the era they grew up in. As far as "African-American" being the standard, I think the original quote put it the best from an intellectual stand point. It is academically accurate and informed, as well as factual to the best of my knowledge.

But even with this being said, I think I personally would say "Black" or "White" or "Sioux Indian" or whichever short simple response was the accurate one. I have a casual nature, and if we really want to promote an equal American society, just stop pointing out the differences and be more accepting of others. Do we have historical lineages and identies that we ought to be proud of? Absolutely, its part of what America is and should be, but it ought to bring unity instead of segregation.

Each label we place on ourselves puts another barrier between "us" and "them", and I'm not a fan of this, nor do I enjoy conflict between peoples, I'm very avoidant to conflict, and perhaps that is a fault in some ways, but here is my bottom line: at the end of the day, would you rather argue minutia, or have a giant 26 pound gummy bear party and the largest ultimate frisbee tournament anyone in your state / province has ever seen? http://youtu.be/kRcCWIuvDis
  • EyeBite
    EyeBite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not of the older generation but I'd like to know why as well. I met a White guy in college who was from Zambia and had lived there pretty much his entire life. I dont know of anyone who would refer to him as...."African American". I honestly dispise the term "Atfrican American" when it's used to discribe Americans who aren't actually from African. I have brown skin and embrace the fact that I'm of African heritage. I'm also a proud American. Never been to Africa and I never lost anything there.

We aren't so hip to finding out the heritage of others so as to call them "Irish Amercan" or "Britsh American"; they are simply White Americans. we only do that with people of "colour". I prefer the term "Black"...or if you're more concious...brown =)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

lol... I don't feel left out at all.. I mean, Why would I? I feel like everyone needs a hug tho because being called black or African American makes a difference... when it shouldn't ...I guess we should all hug each other and make everyone feel special because they showed up to the ball game.
    just my opinion :)
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options

lol... I don't feel left out at all.. I mean, Why would I? I feel like everyone needs a hug tho because being called black or African American makes a difference... when it shouldn't ...I guess we should all hug each other and make everyone feel special because they showed up to the ball game.
    just my opinion :)

Lol.......exactly

It's called AMERICA! people you all have to have a title so we oppress at any given time..... Dem, rep, race, beliefs, size, marital status...etc
  • flag91
    flag91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am not racist either, i am fair.
    Whew. Glad you said that. It's always best for white people who use the "n word" to follow-up with, "I'm not racist either".
    Referring to the time that I was insulted racially and fought fire w/fire. It really shows that either you have never been close friends with anyone black, or maybe they were raised different and don't use the word. IDK.
    Danilee...I will go out on a limb and defend you for a second...

I totally get what you mean..There are few ...I mean a few white people who have been around black people soo damn long..it's as iff they are now part of the family...I myself have a white friend who we call the n word too..and he is allowed to use it among me and my family and friends...he is trully a black man in a white man's body...AND get this ...he from Texas.

Thank you :) I guess that some people just can't understand.

I am white and some of my black friends and I use the N word with an "a" at the end...not an "er" at the end. I guess the point is that it's about relationships and communicating with your friends and what's cool between you two. Not everything is the same level of comfort between different people. I'm pretty sure that if I was talking to a white friend and used the N word, even with the "a" at the end, they would be offended. LOL. Everyone rolls differently and nothing will apply to everyone.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    ....for the Older generation. I know this is a weight loss site, but i know there's a diverse group of ppl here who i can get responses from. With that being said, why is it that some "ppl of colour" get upset when they are referred to as BLACK instead of AFRICAN AMERICAN. Maybe i hvnt spent enough time in history class, but i am black, whts the big difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2kJ96jNY
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

We aren't so hip to finding out the heritage of others so as to call them "Irish Amercan" or "Britsh American"; they are simply White Americans. we only do that with people of "colour". I prefer the term "Black"...or if you're more concious...brown =)

Actually, its very common for a person whose family has been in the US for several generations to proudly call themselves 'Irish', 'German' or 'Italian' simply stating and identifying their heritage.

African Americans seem to be the only group that when doing this, gets to hear everyone's thesis and deconstruction of the term.