Greek Yogurt is sooooo yucky! What can I do to make it taste

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    I love it!! I eat the vanilla kind nearly every day lol
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    I'm not a fan, but I eat when I can afford it. I love to put granola and honey in it; doing so tempers the taste a bit.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    I've been dying to try that yogurt since I started looking around for more protein. And haven't heard any negative comments on it. But now that you say this, its helpful to even know there's at least one comment not for it. Maybe you're not used to the variety of tastes?? I dunno. I had to get used to sweet potato for a good while till I actually liked it. Let us know if it gets better after a good while of eating that yogurt. I wanna know.
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    I have the same problem, I don't like it. I bought a big container of Trader Joe's nonfat greek yogurt thinking I could get used to it and tolerate it with some fruit, but nope. I tried making protein pancakes and they tasted terrible. But I do like the chobani yogurt, it's actually good. Has anyone tried the Chobani chocolate yogurt?
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    I hate yogurt too but because it's good for me I eat it...I add berries, walnuts, hemp seeds and honey. So basically a parfait. Helps.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Hi, I started out with Fage total Greek Yoghurt and I agree it is an acquired taste. Then, due to the cost I changed to low fat fromage frais - slightly higher protein content for the one I buy (Tescos own in the UK - not much use to you if you're not in the UK but check out the labels) and I have it either with a seed mix & honey or fresh strawberries, seed mix & honey - this starts the day with 17 grams of protein. Never had a problem with aftertaste with either greek yoghurt or fromage frais. Just keep trying until you find one that you like.
  • grmon
    grmon Posts: 17
    But.. but.. but...

WHY? It's sooo yummy :love:

I usually get fat free and put it on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING..not just fruit. Rice, spinach, eggs, squash... I mix it with salt and a bit water and drink it. I make soup with it. I make a carrot salad with it. I mix it with dill and cucumber. I make Indian raita with it. Yogurt is awesome.

But if you don't like it don't force it. There are plenty of other ways to get protein.
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Personally ... Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom = nasty ! I buy it plain and use it for sour cream , dips , as an ingredient or with fresh or frozen fruit of berries and agave nectar to sweeten , sometimes I'll add a1/4 of granola with the fruit for texture . But fruit at the bottom of any yogurt Is gross! If its the actual texture and taste of the yogurt you don't like ,stick with regular because ya do like that . My favorites are Wallaby Organic and Brown Cow ! Brown Cow might not be a national product tho because I'm pretty sure it's made in My NW region .
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Splenda and sugar free chocolate pudding mix. It tastes like chocolate mousse.

I can't stand it plain, either. Tastes nasty to me.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    My favorite Greek yogurt is the Kroger brand, Cranberry Fig flavor. It's made with Splenda so it only has 14 carbs, too!

I mix 6oz of that with a cup of Fiber One cereal, and then I get all my fiber for the day, plus protein from the yogurt. It's the texture of fruity, tangy haystacks, yum!
  • ericapaulfrey
    ericapaulfrey Posts: 4 Member
    Try the Chobani Champions. It's greek yogurt for kids. They mix in the fruit and if they are marketing it to kids, it has to taste good. I've tried it before and it is really good. It almost has a whipped texture and there are only 100 calories in each cup and double the protein of regular yogurt.
  • Nfairley
    Nfairley Posts: 84
    I actually prefer Greek yogurt to "America" yogurt. It's not as sweet, true, but it's thicker and generally more satisfying.
    I bought some regular Dannon yogurt for the flavor and it PAINS me to finish the container, it's so sweet to me now. :grumble:
    I prefer Yoplait's Honey Vanilla Greek yogurt, it's subtle but still so yummy. You could try adding more honey if it's not sweet enough for you too.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    The plain one of the chobani i couldn't stomach, but the strawberry banana one I liked. Personally I like the dannon oikos greek yogurt, don't know why, but it tastes better. I have heard you can cook with it, but I haven't figured it out. I tried putting banana in the plain and it didn't make it taste any better.
  • Nfairley
    Nfairley Posts: 84
    Yogurt and Fiber One cereal??

You, ma'am, are a GENIUS
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    i saw on the dr. oz show , greek frozen yogurt bites

you take a sandwich bag, fill with greek yogurt, cut one corner off the bag (make it like an icing bag)

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then squeeze the greek yogurt out in drops on the sheet. Freeze for 2 hours.

Pull out of the freezer and you have frozen yogurt bites:)
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    I've never disliked greek yogurt. I actually like the tangy taste more than regular strained yogurt. I also don't really like the fruit flavors with my greek yogurt so I rarely buy the ones already mixed. I buy the plain and mix vanilla powder and honey in to it.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    I like Greek yogurt, but if you really don't care for it, try mixing it with sweetened pureed berries or honey and making freezer pops. If you want to make pops in a few minutes, buy a Zoku pop maker. http://www.zokuhome.com/

Greek yogurt makes better pops than regular yogurt because it is creamy and thick. I use the nonfat version.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    I can't eat breakfast until I have been up a few hours.
    A friend of mine told me to try the Greek yogurt. I dont like ANY kind of yogurt, but thought I would give it a try for the protein.
    I gagged!!
    I will stick with having coffee at home, then my banana and peanut butter after I get to work!
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    If you like oatmeal, someone posted this site on here recently. It looks like a great way to use greek yogurt and would probably mask the flavor a lot. Plus the recipes look super easy!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • I like Greek Yogurt, but I'm definitely a cottage cheese girl over yogurt any day :blushing: