Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Where do you shop at? Target or wal*mart? sears? Kmart?

Not all stores have cheaper quality clothing in the junior section. Especially when you're shopping at a store that doesn't have it's own little food dept. I have a hard time finding shorts that fit right in the women's dept. I have some from the Jr's dept. The pair I'm wearing is 3 years old and is doing just fine.

and no, they're not bootie shorts, tight shorts, or other wise revealing shorts. And even when I sit, my @ss crack isn't showing.
    They're regular khaki shorts are almost knee length. I just got a few new replacement shorts this summer when they were on sale

When I go hiking with my kids or other active stuff, most of the shorts in the women's dept. simply don't cut it.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Can you please send this to my MIL?

I think my Step-MIL does too and she's over 60 for sure. I think she wore a prom dress to my SIL's wedding.

Sadly, I can totally relate.

Lol my mom sometimes borrows my 18 year old sisters clothes. I totally get it but *shrugs* I can't convince her that other clothes will look nice, she thinks even what I wear looks old. (I'm 32, I seem to dress like most others my age, jeans, fitted tees, dressy shirts, classy dresses that are sexy but don't show everything....if that "old" I'm ok with it!)
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 and I struggle with this. The juniors department is not where I want to be( style, size, fit). BUT I find it hard to find anything in the women's department.

Ladies, any good advice on better places to look. I don't want to be frump, but I'm not 22 either.

HELP!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

But they have cute clothes!!!

BTW, no I don't wear jr. clothing anymore... but if I saw a blouse in the jr. dept. that I think looks super cute and it looks good on me, then I'm not going to hesitate to buy it... It's not like all of my clothes would come from there...
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have to wear juniors unless i want to pay for a tailor. im only 4'8". "womens" clothes just hang off of me. :(

Buy petites, then get the hems pulled up - its actually very inexpensive to get basic tailoring like hemmed pants and things, and petites certainly come in small enough sizes. I have a coworker that's 4'10" and that's what she does - she's also worked out which brands/styles fit her best.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    They need to make something for over 30 that is cute and hip. Where i shop it's either stuff my grandma would wear or too young so now and then i wander over that way and check things out but am very conscious of looking my age. My 16yo makes sure of that.:laugh:
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am over 20.. with hips and I think this depends on the brand. I have a short waist so many women's jeans look horrible or go way above my belly button NOT CUTE either!! Guess Jeans were made for my body.. I don't know if they are junior or women and I don't care they look fabulous!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Buy petites.

The petite selection in most stores is HIDEOUS.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Until you buy my clothes, I'll shop where I wanna. I'm 30yrs old and yes I shop in the Jr. department, why? Because I want to and because I can.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My soon to be 12 year old is already an 8 in the "junior" dept due to her big old birthing hips :) Haha...she is going to be curvy but it gives her a huge complex when she knows all her friends are a smaller size. I always tell her you can't define yourself by your weight or jean size!

I was 5'6" 130lbs and a size 6 when I was 12. I feel her pain.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    what if you have the body of a teenager :embarassed:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Eh, I had to stop shopping in junior even before Highschool ended because of my hips. My mom on the other hand still shops in the junior section because "women's" clothes do not fit her. (she is tiny, I did not get her build, I was blessed with my dads gene code)

She still manages to dress age appropriate. Now if she were all sparkly and rhinestoned out I would probably have to have a talk with her. :laugh:

The main thing is, wear what fits.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Where are you guys shopping that the women's section on has "frumpy" items or "mom" jeans? Accessories, hair style, confidence,etc also play a key roll in making an outfit frumpy or not.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    news flash- at most department stores the women's clothes aren't constructed any better than in the juniors department. i actually fit a lot better in most juniors clothes because women's clothes are cut for women who are dumpy and out of shape. the designers cater to our fat american public. i think you are being way too generic and are extrapolating your MIL's problem to the rest of us. i think what you mean to say is people just need to learn to shop for...
    a. quality in sewmanship (yes, i just made that word up)
    b. fit for their frame. don't wear a trend just because it's trendy, wear shapes that flatter your figure.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Btw, this outfit, 100% from the juniors department at Nordstrom. I like it. I'm 27. And I think I look pretty cute. So whatevs..

Mer1.jpg?t=1345672165
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    news flash- at most department stores the women's clothes aren't constructed any better than in the juniors department. i actually fit a lot better in most juniors clothes because women's clothes are cut for women who are dumpy and out of shape. the designers cater to our fat american public. i think you are being way too generic and are extrapolating your MIL's problem to the rest of us. i think what you mean to say is people just need to learn to shop for...
    a. quality in sewmanship (yes, i just made that word up)
    b. fit for their frame. don't wear a trend just because it's trendy, wear shapes that flatter your figure.

JC penny's St John's bay jeans are actually really good. I have several pair of them and they last a really long time. They have the low-rise style jeans which is what I need. I have a short torso so the regular ones simply don't fit. and the jeans also are designed to fit around women with some hips.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    For me I can't buy jeans in the women department, have tried them on because of the fact the size was smaller. However, I have a small torso, the jeans in the women department that I have tried, I feel like they come up to my neck. I have to wear my top tucked in at work and I am not going to look like I am wearing my pants around my head. I like the fit in juniors, plus I'm smaller now then I was as a teenager and I'm gonna enjoy every moment of it by shopping where I feel like I look better at. I do not wear the obnoxious glittery loud things, I personally would rather wear a dress and I buy most my dresses from Ross and most my jeans come from Rue 21.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just forget about the sections or sizes or whatever, buy what fit. Try stuffs on, make sure not thing is hanging out, no muffin top or whatever, then you are fine.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

But they have cute clothes!!!

BTW, no I don't wear jr. clothing anymore... but if I saw a blouse in the jr. dept. that I think looks super cute and it looks good on me, then I'm not going to hesitate to buy it... It's not like all of my clothes would come from there...

This - i have some from juniors and some from womans and yes even a few things from my 18yr old - but she dresses classy
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I shop where I find the best-fitting clothes, and sometimes those clothes are juniors. I get my jeans from Lucky, but a lot of dresses and tops from places like H&M, Forever 21, Express, AND the juniors department of some department stores. I stopped paying attention to sizes because I can be a size 8 in one brand/department (read: GAP), and a size 15 in others (read, most juniors skirts or dresses).