Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    What I probably should have posted was:

Ladies who exclusively shop in the juniors department, you should try the Misses department. You might find the clothes fit a woman's body better, are in general of better quality and more sophisticated.

I think it could also be a cost issue. I still buy juniors dresses only cause the price is lower. Of course the quality isn't the same but if I only plan to wear it once, I'd rather spend under 100 on it. There a tons of cute juniors dresses and they're always super cheap. The dresses in the women's depts are almost always $100+

Now if I could fit into the pants and suits then I'd totally wear that too. Only problem is my broad shoulders and big hips will never look right in them.
  • CuteWittleWifey
    Options
    Can you please send this to my MIL?

I think my Step-MIL does too and she's over 60 for sure. I think she wore a prom dress to my SIL's wedding.

Sadly, I can totally relate.

Lol. Ohh the MIL's. Mine can't fit in juniors clothes...but she's WHACKO! Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i am 5 foot 4, and juniors items fit me better than most of the "misses", i think it depends on the person, and their body type, i think i look best in clothes that fit, i don't care what department i have to get them from.
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    I'm 34 and I struggle with this. The juniors department is not where I want to be( style, size, fit). BUT I find it hard to find anything in the women's department.

Ladies, any good advice on better places to look. I don't want to be frump, but I'm not 22 either.

HELP!

^^^^This!^^^^
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm about to be 28 next week. Are you saying I should NOT have worn my purple "I live Yoshi" shirt to work today????? ( I seriously wore a Yoshi shirt today) I love him! The huge picture of him on the front of the shirt is super cute. Geez I guess it is officially a laundry day shirt.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Where do you shop at? Target or wal*mart? sears? Kmart?

Not all stores have cheaper quality clothing in the junior section. Especially when you're shopping at a store that doesn't have it's own little food dept. I have a hard time finding shorts that fit right in the women's dept. I have some from the Jr's dept. The pair I'm wearing is 3 years old and is doing just fine.

and no, they're not bootie shorts, tight shorts, or other wise revealing shorts. And even when I sit, my @ss crack isn't showing.
    They're regular khaki shorts are almost knee length. I just got a few new replacement shorts this summer when they were on sale

When I go hiking with my kids or other active stuff, most of the shorts in the women's dept. simply don't cut it.

I think it depends where you shop. I used to buy a lot of work clothes in the juniors department and they were not cheap or trashy looking. I shopped in department stores, not small stores catering to teenagers only. If it fits and looks good I buy it. Geez, I see a lot of resentment and general judgement on this thread.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Also, I didn't attack or judge anyone. I just asked people to "please stop shopping in the juniors department" and listed the reason why.

Attacking would have been to say "you look like a trashy teenager" or something.

To pretty much tell us to stop dressing in Junior's department is telling us what we should do in your eyes. 99.9% of my clothing comes from the Junior department, and until someone else buys my clothes, I'll continue to shop in the Junior's department. I don't think it's anyone's business where any of us shop at. I'm not hurting you or anyone else. If my butt can fit in it and I feel I look good in it, then I'm gonna wear it. It isn't that this came off judging, but as if since we are of a certain age group, we should not dress in a certain area which kinda is a judgment call on your behalf. I'm 30 year's old, I think I'm old enough to buy the clothes I wish to wear. This thread is about as bad as the "Stop eating 1200 calories, that's not the magic number." seriously it's my body I'll eat how many calories I wish to eat and I'll dress my body how ever I wish to dress it, I'm not hurting anyone.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm about to be 28 next week. Are you saying I should NOT have worn my purple "I live Yoshi" shirt to work today????? ( I seriously wore a Yoshi shirt today) I love him! The huge picture of him on the front of the shirt is super cute. Geez I guess it is officially a laundry day shirt.

"I Love Yoshi" shirt
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    I'm 40 and I shop both, mostly at JCP, Kohls and Macys. If it fits my body, my style, and my wallet, I'll buy it. I tend to dress a little flashy and obnoxious, and I'm ok with that.

Today:
    IMG_5023.jpg
    Top and jeans, Macy's juniors. Shoes, Kohls.

I have a very hard time finding tops in the misses departments at Kohls and JCP that fit me. I wore smalls at my high weight, and it's hard to find extra smalls. And I have a hard time finding anything that fits my budget in the misses department of Macys. :frown:

Sweetie, you look smoking!!! Honestly this flatters you and you should dress like this because your personality just glows. I dress to pull out my personality. I've recently found out that the color green really looks good on me lol.

Agreed! You totally ROCK that outfit, girl! Perfect!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Ladies who exclusively shop in the juniors department, you should try the Misses department. You might find the clothes fit a woman's body better, are in general of better quality and more sophisticated.

I can agree to that...I guess it just depends on what I'm shopping for.

Totally agree. I think everyone should try on all different cuts and styles, because stuff that looks like nothing on the hanger can look amazing on. Step out of the comfort zone.

And the other way around. Stuff that looks like it should be amazing on the hanger or mannequin can be a total hot mess on a body. (Ugh... the Jennifer Lopez dress I tried on a few weeks ago.... *shudder*)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    OP does not know what they are talking about depending on size some women like me fit better in clothes that are smaller, can't speak for all, just cuz we're over 20 means we should wear frumpy, baggy clothes from grandma's section. 21 is still able to fit in juniors. I say shut up about clothes that you know nothing about, unless you are a designer don't claim to think that all shapes of women choose clothes that are too small. Some of us know how to dress even if we fit in juniors size jeans!!!
  • rbjd2004
    rbjd2004 Posts: 51
    Options
    I live in clothes from Macy's, The Limited, and NY&Company. The NY&Company stuff is cheaper but it also falls apart a lot faster. I go there for the super stylish things that I'll eventually be "over" anyway. I wear and wash my stuff from Macy's and The Limited at least once a week and I keep them for years.

I thought there was something wrong with my body for years when I was making that transition from Juniors to Misses.

Now for quality shoes at an amazing price, Ross is awesome!!
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think most of us would stop even looking there if the styles in the misses section actually suited our tastes. Some of us aren't ready to let go of our teenage rebellion. =P
    this
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options

What I don't understand is why you would post anything at all. Yes, we are all guilty of judging people's clothes, image etc. But most of us do it in our head, we don't post public forums on it.

I have no opinion on the whole "junior section" comment, since I don't think we have any such thing here in Aus. I just found the original post to be unnecessary...
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I will be 29 and I live in graphic tees.
    I refuse to wear skinny or overly distressed jeans.
    I mostly buy bell bottoms.

I shop in the jr's section for stuff, but opt for the righer rised pants.
    I like "misses" stores like maurices.
    Old Navy is awesome too.

Like someone else said, I don't want to be frumpy.
  • springbreakmission
    springbreakmission Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My TOP 3 rules for shopping:

1. do i LIKE/LOVE it
    2. does it FIT and FLATTER my body
    3. can i AFFORD it

I don't care if i'm looking in a bin at goodwill, juniors dep, saks, marshalls, dillards, or whatever as long as it meets my criteria
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I like the junior department, every time I look at the clothes in the women's department, they make me feel sick to my stomach, gross colors and patterns, and even though I am a grandma, I'll be d*mned if I'm going to dress like one. Sorry :(
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 years old but I have a rather curvy body. I found that American Eagle & Charlotte Russe have stretchy jeans made for curvy women. I'm pear shaped & even though I've lost weight I'm still in the same size 11 jeans in juniors. Womens size I'm around size 8 jeans I think... I don't shop in womens clothes because...they look kind of outdated for me.

Based on some of the posters' rules, AE is ok because their jeans are even numbered. =P I love AE jeans.

Yeah, makes me feel a bit thinner haha. My AE size jeans are a size 10, but there a bit to loose so I might be a size 8 soon. :P
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

A "woman's" body? You know we're not cookie cutters, right?

You're idea of "sophisticated" is probably my idea of a snoozefest or something I'd wear only if my gramma asked me to. Of course, being from cali, you're hard pressed to get me out of comfortable (not to be confused with MOM) jeans and a t'shirt. Do I dress up on occasion? Sure...
    but having some twit say "dear women over the age of 20" isn't going to get me to dress more "Sophisticated" I know how to do that on my very own thankyouverymuch.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My TOP 3 rules for shopping:

1. do i LIKE/LOVE it
    2. does it FIT and FLATTER my body
    3. can i AFFORD it

I don't care if i'm looking in a bin at goodwill, juniors dep, saks, marshalls, dillards, or whatever as long as it meets my criteria

^^ This is what I go by.

OP- I didn't take it as you attacking anyone but I don't see how is concerns you, who cares? Yes most of the clothes are made for younger teenages however you can find clothes that are nice and can be sophisticated in other departments besides misses. Personally my hips are too big for the pants in juniors but have I have found and worn nice cardigans and sweaters. I am 28 and have found some nice things in the misses dept at JCP, but the store closest to me carries a lot more for little old ladies than women my age. If I had lots of $$ I think I would shop at The Limited because they have some fashionable and sophisticated clothes for my age group.