Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

I'm 24 and I still enjoy shopping in certain Junior sections because I'm not ready to wear turtlenecks and mom jeans yet. Have you seen Macy's Women's section? I don't think any 20-somethings are going to be browsing through the poncho's and cheetah cardigan's there. Why would we be shopping in the "Misses" along with women who are my Grandma's age?

Besides, why would you care what other people wear and if they look cheaply made, minnion?

Uuuummmm ... I shop in misses (and sometimes juniors, too) and I don't wear those things. There are plenty of options.

Right now I'm wearing a very cute, not frumpy at all maxi dress right now from the misses department at Kohls. And I have some very adorable, fashionable clothes from the Macy's misses department, as well. Maybe it's just the stores where you live that are like that.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    To the OP,
    why do you judge people based on their clothing?

seems so shallow and petty, imo, but, to each their own.

Why do YOU care if someone else is wearing what THEY want to wear, whatever it is?

Yes, if someone dresses oddly, they can risk the judgement of those who judge a book by it's cover,
    but
    it's THEIR choice, not yours.

And you might miss out on some really neat people, if you judge people by their clothing. (rolls eyes and resists urge to post thread called "Dear women who are shallow and superficial")

still, that is great your life is such that you can spend your time worrying about what other people that you don't even know are wearing. Glad for you!!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Once you have shopped at Limited, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, etc you won't miss the Jrs. Department clothes. I guarantee it! Plus I bet you will find that you can buy a smaller size and that they fit much better. I finally converted a friend of mine and she hasn't looked back!

HELLO! PRICE! Of course these clothes are well cut and flattering. Yes, I too love those stores but you can't get a single outfit at any of them for under $150. Trust me, my whole wardrobe would be WHBM and Limited but I need to eat, too.

My thoughts exactly! I would LOVE to wear clothes from these stores- but places like Forever 21 have the best prices...you have to look harder to find age appropriate clothes that fit but it fits my wallter much better! TJ MAxx and Ross are life savers as well...

I totally hear you on price! However, I hardly ever pay full price for items at these stores. I shop with coupons, sales, and clearance rack. Or if you are lucky enough to have and Outlet Mall nearby they help too with price. I just bought 3 pairs of shorts, a pair of capris, a skirt, a dress, a pair of jeans, and a shirt at WHBM and the average for the items was around $40. That is still a fair amount but the quality is great and I will have these items for a long time. I, personally, would rather spend that money on quality clothing that is going to last, rather than on something that I paid $10 for an is going to lose it's shape and fade after I wash it a couple times.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Uuuummmm ... I shop in misses (and sometimes juniors, too) and I don't wear those things. There are plenty of options.

Right now I'm wearing a very cute, not frumpy at all maxi dress right now from the misses department at Kohls. And I have some very adorable, fashionable clothes from the Macy's misses department, as well. Maybe it's just the stores where you live that are like that.

Believe it or not, there is a huge difference between the Kohl's in FL and the one up here in PA. I was. so. happy. They actually had a GOOD selection of shorts! and I found flip flops that I love. I actually bought the last 2 pair in my size. Penney's is also a bit different in selection. So finding a maxi dress that isn't frumpy in FL doesn't surprise me.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.

This post was inpired by a woman who was beating herself up, and hating on her big hips because even at her thinnest she was an 11 in the juniors department. When I and others suggested she try the adult women's section (which is usually referred to as Misses) she said she didn't think she was old enough at 25. She, like a lot of you, mistakenly believed that everything in the Misses section was "too old" or "frumpy".

I turned my frustration at her post into this post. I made it a generalized sweeping statement for comedy and yes, somewhat for controversy. I had NO idea that so many women would be insulted or that so many women shared her view of Misses as being "frumpy". I was not attacking anyone.

So yes, I apologize to women I've insulted. SOME clothing in juniors are cute, sophisticated and well suited for women in their 20s and 30s. SOME clothing in the Misses section are older frumpy and targeted at women in their 60s (with bad fashion taste). Additionally, yes, small women might have a hard time finding clothing in Misses leaving juniors as the best option for them. Good clothing can be found in juniors, Misses, cheap stores, expensive stores, etc. You do just need to be careful that things fit your body and look at least somewhat age appropriate, regardless of department, quality or size.

So the moral of the store is, dress however the hell you want to dress but don't beat yourself up, or try to change your bone structure because a certain type of clothing doesn't fit or look good on you. Try to be the best you can be. Love that and dress that.

I can agree with this, I only shop where I feel I look best at. I felt gross and ugly plus sized now I feel great and enjoy shopping once again.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I often shop at Kohls and shop juniors because the clothes are cuter than the old lady crap they sell in the woman's section. What's the big deal?

Not everything outside of Juniors at Kohls is "old lady crap".

I am wearing my black Dockers quite class-ily, thankyouverymuch.

And they came from Misses. At Kohls.

But then again, I am not one for all those goofy patterns and crap that they put on clothing. I am just a basic solid color teeshirt, jeans and flip-flops (or Chucks if the mood strikes me!) kinda lady. The key is classy accessories.

And also: to the people that ***** and whine that Macy's or WHBM or Ann Taylor is too expensive, you're more than likely getting better made clothing at those places. Look for sales. I would prefer to shell out a little extra on a pair of WELL-MADE jeans that will last me years and years. Quality, not quantity.

Let me quote Bridget Jones:

"It was a disaster of a trip, anyway. The answer to shopping, I know, is simply to buy a few choice items from Nicole Farhi, Whistles and Joseph but the prices so terrify me that I go scuttling back to Warehouse and Miss Sel¬fridge, rejoicing in a host of dresses at £34.99, get them stuck on my head, then buy things from Marks & Spencer because I don't have to try them on, and at least I've bought something.

I have come home with four things, all them unsuitable and unflattering. One will be left behind the bedroom chair in an M&S bag for two years. The other three will be exchanged for credit notes from Boules, Warehouse, etc., which I will then lose. I have thus wasted £119, which would have been enough to buy something really nice from Nicole Farhi, like a very small T-shirt."
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

I'm 24 and I still enjoy shopping in certain Junior sections because I'm not ready to wear turtlenecks and mom jeans yet. Have you seen Macy's Women's section? I don't think any 20-somethings are going to be browsing through the poncho's and cheetah cardigan's there. Why would we be shopping in the "Misses" along with women who are my Grandma's age?

Besides, why would you care what other people wear and if they look cheaply made, minnion?

Word. I love Kohls. Especially the Lauren Conrad collection. Not gonna lie, I also own a pretty hot poncho from H&M. Pehaps, I was just trying to make the point - why is there a post dissing what people over the age of 20 are wearing? If I want to wear a pair of Silver brand jeans bought in the Jrs Dept at Macy's I'll do it and my *kitten* will look great in them.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Once you have shopped at Limited, White House Black Market, Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, etc you won't miss the Jrs. Department clothes. I guarantee it! Plus I bet you will find that you can buy a smaller size and that they fit much better. I finally converted a friend of mine and she hasn't looked back!

HELLO! PRICE! Of course these clothes are well cut and flattering. Yes, I too love those stores but you can't get a single outfit at any of them for under $150. Trust me, my whole wardrobe would be WHBM and Limited but I need to eat, too.

My thoughts exactly! I would LOVE to wear clothes from these stores- but places like Forever 21 have the best prices...you have to look harder to find age appropriate clothes that fit but it fits my wallter much better! TJ MAxx and Ross are life savers as well...

I totally hear you on price! However, I hardly ever pay full price for items at these stores. I shop with coupons, sales, and clearance rack. Or if you are lucky enough to have and Outlet Mall nearby they help too with price. I just bought 3 pairs of shorts, a pair of capris, a skirt, a dress, a pair of jeans, and a shirt at WHBM and the average for the items was around $40. That is still a fair amount but the quality is great and I will have these items for a long time. I, personally, would rather spend that money on quality clothing that is going to last, rather than on something that I paid $10 for an is going to lose it's shape and fade after I wash it a couple times.

$40 an item is way more than I can either afford or am willing to pay.

I have plenty of high-quality, flattering pieces of clothing and I don't shop at any of those places.

In fact, the single piece of clothing I bought at Banana Republic (a skirt for $70 because I needed something to wear to a job interview and panicked) fell apart after only three wears. Clothes I bought at JC Penney for $10 are still in great shape YEARS later.
  • CarrieQuiteContrary
    CarrieQuiteContrary Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I am petite and [just turned 29] they just fit me better and WOMEN'S clothing in most department stores are ugly in my opinion. Anywhere else it gets expensive to get nice clothes. So thank you, but no thank you. I will stick to them because they DO fit me. [=
  • rml_16
    Options

Believe it or not, there is a huge difference between the Kohl's in FL and the one up here in PA. I was. so. happy. They actually had a GOOD selection of shorts! and I found flip flops that I love. I actually bought the last 2 pair in my size. Penney's is also a bit different in selection. So finding a maxi dress that isn't frumpy in FL doesn't surprise me.

I lived in NY state for 28 years and didn't have trouble finding great clothes in Penneys up there. We didn't have Kohls.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Lol I'm reading a lot of references to not wanting to wear 'Mommy jean." I'm 43 and I call those Grandma jeans because moms my age have much better taste and a greater selection to choose from. Wear what suits your body and makes you feel good. Don't be pigeon-holed by age. When I was heavier I made sure not to wear anything that muffin topped or showed my sausage rolls. I'll rethink my closet when I'm down at my first goal of 165lbs but my clothes will still reflect me.

It's not where you buy but what you buy that makes the statement and reflects your personality.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    wtf is the 'juniors' department. am i the only one who doesn't know what this is?

i shop at old navy, american eagle, rw&co and marks work warehouse. lol.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I despise most of the clothes I see in the juniors section. I'm the last person in the world whose wardrobe could be described as slutty or trampy or even non-age appropriate. But I have bought several things from the juniors section at Dillards and JCPenney recently, even though I'm turning 30 in less than a month. I've even bought tops there that were entirely work-appropriate. Someone else mentioned The Limited. 90% (maybe more) of my work wardrobe comes from there. And I have legitimately found stylish tops in the juniors section at JCPenney that would fit in at The Limited, and for less than half the price. So excuse me for making decisions with my own money that other people don't approve of.

I fully agree that it has become an unfortunate epidemic that people are buying clothes that are too small for them just to say they wear a certain size. That isn't exclusive to people who shop in the juniors section. MANY women do that. It's like they don't realize that if they'd buy a couple sizes larger, they'd actually look better because they wouldn't have rolls of fat poking through their tops or hanging over their jeans. But the bottom line for me is that if you aren't buying my clothes, then zip it. I'll decide what is and is not appropriate for me.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I still wear juniors.. I don't see a problem with it! I'm a 0-2 in juniors and regular women's clothing doesn't make my size! even the XS are too big for me. Sorry but I'll keep shopping in Juniors!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    And also: to the people that ***** and whine that Macy's or WHBM or Ann Taylor is too expensive, you're more than likely getting better made clothing at those places. Look for sales. I would prefer to shell out a little extra on a pair of WELL-MADE jeans that will last me years and years. Quality, not quantity.

Which would be great for people who plan on being the same size for years and years, which is generally not most of the people using these forums. I fully plan on treating myself to a good pair of WHBM jeans for Christmas if I'm at my goal size/shape. But the pair I got from there for last Christmas that cost over $70 got worn for 3 months and are now wasting away in the "too big" pile. The pair I'm wearing right now are Levi's Junior's Size 7 that cost me $12 and I'm not sad at all that they are getting too big.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and I shop both, mostly at JCP, Kohls and Macys. If it fits my body, my style, and my wallet, I'll buy it. I tend to dress a little flashy and obnoxious, and I'm ok with that.

Today:
    IMG_5023.jpg
    Top and jeans, Macy's juniors. Shoes, Kohls.

I have a very hard time finding tops in the misses departments at Kohls and JCP that fit me. I wore smalls at my high weight, and it's hard to find extra smalls. And I have a hard time finding anything that fits my budget in the misses department of Macys. :frown:

And you look super cute, age appropriate, and not cheap!

Ditto!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like ross and tj max. Love the junior section!
  • DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    I should have responded sooner. I am 33 years old and 5'2" and a size zero. Regular clothes do not fit me correctly and as my husband and I are trying to buy a house, I cannot afford all the tailoring at this point or for petites in Talbots or JCREW. So sometimes I HAVE to shop in junior stores otherwise CLOTHES HANG OFF ME and I look unprofessional. Granted, I dont wear t shirts that say silly things or crop tops, but some of my shirts have to be from those stores bc they fit me better.

For the most part, my clothes are from stores like Loft, Express, Gap, etc. But sometimes I have to go Abercrombie or Aeropostale and American Eagle. That doesnt mean I am dressing like I am 12, it just means that adult clothes dont always fit someone who is small like me.

Im done with my rant.
  • CarrieQuiteContrary
    CarrieQuiteContrary Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.

This post was inpired by a woman who was beating herself up, and hating on her big hips because even at her thinnest she was an 11 in the juniors department. When I and others suggested she try the adult women's section (which is usually referred to as Misses) she said she didn't think she was old enough at 25. She, like a lot of you, mistakenly believed that everything in the Misses section was "too old" or "frumpy".

I turned my frustration at her post into this post. I made it a generalized sweeping statement for comedy and yes, somewhat for controversy. I had NO idea that so many women would be insulted or that so many women shared her view of Misses as being "frumpy". I was not attacking anyone.

So yes, I apologize to women I've insulted. SOME clothing in juniors are cute, sophisticated and well suited for women in their 20s and 30s. SOME clothing in the Misses section are older frumpy and targeted at women in their 60s (with bad fashion taste). Additionally, yes, small women might have a hard time finding clothing in Misses leaving juniors as the best option for them. Good clothing can be found in juniors, Misses, cheap stores, expensive stores, etc. You do just need to be careful that things fit your body and look at least somewhat age appropriate, regardless of department, quality or size.

So the moral of the store is, dress however the hell you want to dress but don't beat yourself up, or try to change your bone structure because a certain type of clothing doesn't fit or look good on you. Try to be the best you can be. Love that and dress that.

I can agree with this, I only shop where I feel I look best at. I felt gross and ugly plus sized now I feel great and enjoy shopping once again.

This is a much better way to put it without offending anyone. Everyone has their own opinion but I do fine with my size. [=
  • DBell28
    DBell28 Posts: 45
    Options
    I bought two 80 dollar sweaters at Ann Taylor, and I shop there often. The sweaters fell apart after one season. I had a pair of work out pants from Old Navy for 20 bucks that lasted 3 years. Sometimes it just depends.