Lance Armstrong admits to cheating.

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    On the drive home, I also had this thought: are we really to believe that a guy who fought cancer, and pushed through countless barriers to win seven Tour de Frances is 'tired' of fighting the USADA? Or is it because he knows he will lose?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Let's look at history quickly. Which athletes that has been accused of using enhancement denied it only later having to recant once actual evidence of it was put out on the table? McGwire, Sosa, Marion Jones, Bonds, Palmiero, etc. were all high profile athletes suspected of enhancement and had evidence against them for it, but all have denied or haven't admitted to enhancement.
    Really I could care less if they did since they are adults and knowing how doping is in sports, very few are "clean" athletes. I believe that Armstrong was enhanced. Just like I believe that Nolan Ryan and Ricky Henderson were enhanced. Just like I believe several Olympic athletes are enhanced.
    This really isn't new news. It's been going on since the 40's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    How the heck didn't he get caught over all those years ESPECIALLY with them trying so hard to catch him. If he cheated, they would have found it. I don't think he cheated... I think he's that good.

Using this logic, Bolt must be a cheater too, right?

Bolts trainer had a name change so hard to follow. His trainer is well known in doping circles.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Kind of hypocrite society we live in. Everybody in sports cheats literally. Those scumbags in the government should clean their freaking closets before trying to clean up somebody else's *kitten*. Same people he raced with cheated too and lost to him. Nothing ever changes with sports in this era or the next. Everyone will be cheat but I guess you are only a cheater when you are caught.

Anyone who hasn't watched it - Go watch "Bigger, Stronger, Faster". Drug use in society from very public figures has been rife for a long, long time. And people who believe otherwise are very deluded.

Now that's not to say the people who didn't take X steroid or X performance enhancing drug didn't work their backsides off... It does mean that they got an advantage over clean people for being able to recover from the harder training faster though.

Oh - the documentary also gives quite an interesting insight into supplements, and the 'difference' between clean athletes, and athletes who are seen to be 'cheating'...
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Is, was and always has been guilty

Cycling is really badly effected by it, I think they should just let them all take whatever they want, then the best athlete would win
  • Shadowsan
    Options

Cycling is really badly effected by it, I think they should just let them all take whatever they want, then the best athlete would win

Not necessarily the best athlete - the one with the most money who was willing to take bigger risks, maybe.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Disturbing that he is still in denial, as his non-denial denial statement confirms.

I've actually met him once at a corporate event (he was one of our speakers). He's a great guy, done so much for cancer patients.

But the evidence against him now seems overwhelming. He had the chance to fight it, but has chosen to disengage from the process. That is a tacit admission of guilt. As someone noted, he's not the kind of guy to give up a fight. So I think the writing was on the wall, and he knew it.

Yes, many did it at the time. But it's one thing to go along, it's another to continue to lie about it, which is what now seems likely.

He's only human. Overall, he's done a lot of good for a lot of people. I still think he's a hero, although clearly a tarnished one.

--P
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

Not necessarily the best athlete - the one with the most money who was willing to take bigger risks, maybe.

Sure the one with the most money has a massive say as it is. If they all were allowed take all the banned substances they wanted, it would level the playing field between the honest/dishonest
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    How do you cheat in a bicycle race?!
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    How do you cheat in a bicycle race?!

Blood doping, to increase the amount of oxygen your blood can carry...

Steroids, to increase the ability of your body to recover from harder training...

Stimulants, to increase your ability to respond.

All of these are used in various sports to improve performance - cycling is no different.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Travis Tygart runs a kangaroo court. He is taking hearsay from known dopers as evidence and is ignoring the thousands of drugs tests that Armstrong did. The witnesses the USADA has, stand to gain in sport by their testimony. Tygart is ignoring the 2 year court case that Armstrong went through that said he was "not guilty"

I can fully understand Lance Armstrong not participating in Tygart's farce, as there is no way he could ever win. They will not allow his past drug testing as evidence.

Why waste valuable time and money over what a US judge has said is a load of BS .
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Really OP - What in tasking some responsibility when you report something you have read!!

NO - He has NOT admitted to cheating!!! Being persecuted by people is very different to admitting to cheating (or cheating)....
    In the end of the day he has NEVER - EVER failed any drug tests.......
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    What a moronic thread title. He got tired of the witch hunt. He passed hundreds of drug tests. He admitted nothing you idiot. Get a freakin life
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    Travis Tygart runs a kangaroo court. He is taking hearsay from known dopers as evidence and is ignoring the thousands of drugs tests that Armstrong did. The witnesses the USADA has, stand to gain in sport by their testimony. Tygart is ignoring the 2 year court case that Armstrong went through that said he was "not guilty"

I can fully understand Lance Armstrong not participating in Tygart's farce, as there is no way he could ever win. They will not allow his past drug testing as evidence.

Why waste valuable time and money over what a US judge has said is a load of BS .

Right. Lets bring this into perspective here.

There are LOTS of ways to 'cheat' - without necessarily breaking the rules. You merely bend them.

For instance - instead of blood doping with drugs/blood transfusions...

...You sleep every night in an altitude chamber. Which will force your body to adapt and increase your ability to carry oxygen.

The USA have an olympic training camp at 5000 feet. Does this make them as a country cheaters because they do this vs countries that don't have these facilities?

Sports, as much as people would like to believe, are NOT a level playing field. People will always find ways of increasing their performance. And unless ALL competitors trained in the exact same environments, then really it's always going to be a skewed competition towards the people with the most resources.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    TBH the testing is a joke. Its very easy to pass the tests anyway. Same with any sport. Absolute farce.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Such a disappointment. I'm disappointed if he cheated and I'm disappointed if he didn't cheat but gave up fighting for clearing his name. I don't know all the facts, we probably never will but when you quit fighting your admitting guilt (atleast that's the case most of the time) I wonder if any of his wins were clean, either way I'm sure he'll be stripped of all of them. I absolutely love cycling and I pray one day we have a cleaner sport. It is truely a beautiful sport. I'm already counting down until next years tour :heart:

"but when you quit fighting your admitting guilt".....no, you are not admitting anything. If he was admitting it he would just come out and say he was admitting it.

When you no longer respect an organization you no longer care what their opinion is.
    If he doesn't give a rat's *kitten* about these people any more he wouldn't want to waste any more time talking to them or having to justify his dominance in the sport.

Like any wacked-out conspiracy theory you have no hope of proving it wrong, so you just walk away from it.
  • connye13
    connye13 Posts: 19
    Options
    maybe he is just tired of the Witch hunt they are on. even the strongest person can get wore down.. there are people out there that say he did and say he didnt.. He has never failed a drug test in all his years of competing. Most of the drug tests are random,, so draw your own conclusions.. have a nice day
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    There is so much politic and plain unjust treatment in sport. Look at the GB Olympic Taekwondo travesty!?

Sometimes the fight is futile however right and it's best to move on
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    maybe he is just tired of the Witch hunt they are on. even the strongest person can get wore down.. there are people out there that say he did and say he didnt.. He has never failed a drug test in all his years of competing. Most of the drug tests are random,, so draw your own conclusions.. have a nice day

This...
  • poshcouture
    Options
    he said:
    In a statement sent to the AP, Armstrong said: “Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances. I will commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities.”

Did he cheat? I don't know. Did he ADMIT TO CHEATING? I've read nothing that suggests he has.

^This.

Agreed. I believe he's taking the attitude of "whether you believe me or not moot point at this juncture." Makes me wonder, though, if he'd been "doping it up" since the 90s, why "run tell dat" now? Hmmmm....