Toxic Parents...don't believe what you are told

Options

Replies

• Anna11662
    Options
    Well, first of all, a size 7 or 9 at 5' 8" seems pretty perfect to me. Not heavy...not too skinny. I was there at one point. I am 5' 7" and looked pretty darn good at a size 7. So, don't listen to your mother...tell her to mind her own business, and keep her AWAY from your daughter.
  • jonesan1227
    Options
    Wonderful post! I can so relate to what you are going through because my life has been similar, even though I've never been overweight or outside of the "healthy" weight range for my height. I'm recovering from anorexia, and I think I'll have to get that book to continue to work on improving myself in healthy ways. Thank you, and best wishes to you.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I need to read that ^^. It wasn't just my mom, but my entire family really. Even though I was considered one of the most thinnest kids in school growing up, I was still "fat." My granny said I will never be small no matter how much weight I lose, my mother would laugh at how "big" and "heavy" my legs are, and comment LOUDLY behind my back about how fat I am to my sisters (even though she was the one who fed me growing up so isn't it her fault?) My sisters would tell me to stop eating because I'm the straight-up fat a** in the family. My dad would ask if "Could fit that, you're too big," as well as my uncles :indifferent: . HOWEVER, if I expressed trying to lose any weight, my parents would shove even MORE food in my face like I'm a starving child from Africa. They've all kind of messed up my self-esteem and I don't know if I'll ever be confident in my own body, but of course, self-esteem is an idiotic "white people" term and it doesn't really exist and I'm just being "stupid" and "weak," as told by my parents.

Oi :sick:
  • Jess207
    Jess207 Posts: 90
    Options
    My parents have old fashioned ridiculous attitudes and negative outlooks. ALL of my support comes from my WONDERFUL friends. Its hard to accept that families aren't necessarily supportive and positive so you have to surround yourself with people who make you feel good. If it wasn't for my friends, I'd believe the negativity...I used to feel like "is it me???" NO, its not, it's them.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting, we all need a reminder that every one of us is wonderful in our own way.

I read the book a few years ago, I didn't like the suggestions it had about "sit down with your toxic parent...and talk to them". i had the toxic parent that should have never had a child, or should have given me up for adoption.

Best thing I ever did, was to walk away and never look back. I will never understand how a person can go thru life thinking they did nothing wrong to me. Forgiveness doesn't exist for the pain they caused me.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you grew up in a home where those who were supposed to love you best couldn't really be there to support you. Glad to hear that you took some valuable things from the book.

What to do now? Surround yourself with supporting, loving people who will appeciate you for the person you already are. We certainly can't please everyone, but we can limit our contact with them! May time and a different perspective help to heal your hurts. Friend me if you want.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This post means a lot to me. It only took me 43 years to figure it out. I decided to end all toxic relationships including bad food relationships. It's been an enlightening year and I feel so much better about myself.
    I'm definitely going to read the book.

I'm not a bad daughter for not giving my parents permission to "insert negativity here". :drinker:
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It is a fab book and she has also done 'toxic inlaws' for partners.

Cutting off contact with my family was the best thing I ever did and being away from them and being able to build up some self esteem meant I was finally in the right place to lose weight/exercise/get healthy.

I know if I can survive everything I have been through them losing weight is a piece of piss in comparison :wink:

Ditto! Yea us:flowerforyou:
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much for this post. my mother has had a large impact on my self esteem growing up and I will definitely check out that book.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I hear you! When I was 16, I was 5'2" and I weighed 98 pounds. My mother told me I had big thighs, and that I couldn't eat whatever I wanted, like a teenager (even though I was a teenager). But, really I was just starting to have a curvier figure (but I was still small and fit...I was a dancer). So, I quickly stopped eating. Pretty much all I ate was spinach and strawberries. My weight dropped to 88 pounds (my BMI was like 16). I stopped getting my period and started having very serious symptoms of malnutrition. Then one day I was in the shower and I started to black out. I got out of the shower and passed out on the floor. After that I started to realize I was in a serious situation. So, I told a friend and she told me to tell my mother. I told my mother and she said she refused to take me to a doctor. From that point on I paid my own medical bills. My mother said that if I was going to hurt my own health, she would not waste her money on it. This makes my mom sound bad. She's not that bad. I feel bad talking about her. Everyone makes mistakes. She just has a different idea of how to help people. She was good in other ways. I don't blame her for anything. I make my own choices. Any way, I have taken great care of my health since then and was very responsible. There was also a lot of abuse in my childhood (I shouldn't get into that). I just really related to this. My mother would never say something like that to me now. But, all through my life, my mother brought toxic people into my life, and for 7 years she had a man in my life (as a stepfather) and he sexually abused me horrendously.

I'm glad I'm an adult and can choose the people I am around now.

It helps to know I'm not alone in these experiences (reading what you and everyone else wrote).
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou:

I am bumping so that others might see this post and learn about the book.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    This post means a lot to me. It only took me 43 years to figure it out. I decided to end all toxic relationships including bad food relationships. It's been an enlightening year and I feel so much better about myself.
    I'm definitely going to read the book.

I'm not a bad daughter for not giving my parents permission to "insert negativity here". :drinker:

No, you are NOT a bad daughter. I wish you all the best.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting, we all need a reminder that every one of us is wonderful in our own way.

I read the book a few years ago, I didn't like the suggestions it had about "sit down with your toxic parent...and talk to them". i had the toxic parent that should have never had a child, or should have given me up for adoption.

Best thing I ever did, was to walk away and never look back. I will never understand how a person can go thru life thinking they did nothing wrong to me. Forgiveness doesn't exist for the pain they caused me.

I know, because of my toxic mother, I put off having children, because I did not want to be like her...but regret it. I would LOVE to adopt, but it is too expensive. That is another story.

You said that "sitting down with the toxic parent and talking" was not for you, and I understand that is not for everyone. I did not so much sit down with mine, as stand there, and tell her "I love you, but I am not going to put up with this abuse any longer. I am sick to death of you calling me fat, and it isn't a joke, or for fun... it REALLY hurts when it comes from your MOTHER". I on the other hand, couldn't do what a lot of books tell you to do, and blindly forgive them. When they have had numerous chances given to them to stop the behaviour, and they don't... how can you forgive that? You really can't. To keep putting yourself in the situation to be emotionally beaten up, doesn't make any sense.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, some Parents can be abusive. Sorry you had to deal with that. :(
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should get that book.. I wasn't really told I was fat but was told every day how useless and worthless I was.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There were some other books that helped me:

Why is it always about you: the seven deadly sins of narcissism
    Will I ever be good enough: healing the daughters of narcissistic mothers
    Invisible Girls: The Truth About Sexual Abuse
    The Betrayal Bond: Breaking Free of Exploitive Relationships
    The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
    Opening Up: The Healing Power of Expressing Emotions
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have 3 daughters ages 4 months, 2 yrs & 3yrs. One thing I really find disturbing is shopping in children's stores for them.

Children's clothes are sized "2", "3", "4" and so on up to I think size 10 (my kids are still in size 3/5) BUT in some stores they've sized the clothes as follows: "Small - 3/4", "Medium 5/6" "Large 7/8' "Extra Large 9/10" What the HECK?? we're talking about little kids at varying stages of growth (3year olds in size 3/4 and 10 year olds in size 9/10) WHY IN THE WORLD does a 10 year old have to feel like she's an "Extra Large"?? I've actually complained and the clerk told me I should teach my daughters to be more confident!!!

Does this bother anyone else?? I've noticed it in Children's Place and Bonnie Togs (Canada) or am I blowing it out of porportion, or should I just be teaching my daughters confidence (which I believe I do, but my fear is that schoolmates and media etc. will ruin any good efforts I make...)

Let me know what you think?
  • Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My father did this...Always told me that I would be the prettiest girl in my class if I just lost 50 pounds.

He started saying this in 2md grade, by the way. That's a great thing to do to your daughter who comes from a long line of people with eating disorders. The only man in your life basically saying you're fat. Fun.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have had to deal with this my entire life. I actually had a doctor who would say "your fat, lose weight" every time she saw me. She even told me to not eat any carbs at all. I basically told her to shove it. As for my mother, she constantly cuts herself down and both her fat kids. She praises her 3 size 8 kids who either don't eat or lactic acidosis. I am the eldest and have been treated like **** all my life. My dad actually pushed me to be on weight watchers when I was 15.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My relationship with my mum is odd.... Sometimes she's amazing, sometimes she's a cow.... But its always me..

I have never been able to talk to her about personal stuff - that was always my Nan (who died last year) Mum had a breakdown about 13 years ago and said some seriously horrible stuff to me then. She's in a toxic relationship with a man, they're not intimate, she doesnt do hugs or anything. She's never said she loved me or is proud of me.

I run her business for her. She wasnt interested in it for ages, then comes back, wants to change everything. Even to answerphone message isnt good enough. Things I do arent good enough and sometimes I wonder why I bother.

When I was 18 I fell pregnant. The ultimatum was her or the child. I chose her. I am now childless, which maybe isnt a bad thing, but I've never forgiven her for that.

Before my Nan died she told me that when Mum fell pregnant with me (an accideent BTW) she demanded an abortion from the doctor, who said, dont be silly you're perfectly healthy enough to have a baby. In the 70's the 'done' thing was to marry the father, which she did and he treated her like *kitten* and me (told me I was fat and ugly at aged 8 - I have very little contact with him now)

They split up when I was 14 - and the whole well if I didnt have you I wouldnt have suffred this... thing came to light. I have since found out recently that my father wanted me to be a boy.

She'll never say anything directly - its all indirect snipes and sometimes I just want to run away. I'm 38 for goodness sake!!! We're supposed to having a family get together tomorrow and i dont want to go - I've spent anough time in her company already this week.

All I hear is I cant cope tih AB and C so I offer to help then its wrong then it goes round again......

Meh.