Sooooooo....whats for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Organic instant oatmeal (President's Choice)
    1 tsp local honey
    1/4 cup organic pumpkin (canned)
    sprinkle of nutmeg
    sprinkle of cinnamon
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I try to have some sort of fruit for breakfast, when and if I eat it. So, assuming I have breakfast, then I usually make a smoothie or I have yogurt with a cut up piece of fruit apple/banana/orange/pear. For smoothies I have banana, dates, ice, milk, honey, vanilla essence and a dash of yogurt. Amazing combination. Or all the previous ingredients just minus the dates. Either way, it's still good :)
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    1 slice of Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted whole grain low sodium bread, toasted
    1 T Smooth Operator peanut butter (nothing added)
    9 slices of banana
    sprinkle of cinnamon to taste
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I have one whole egg scrambled with 3 egg whites with a little bit of shredded cheese. At times I will add some sausage or bacon, just depends.

This morning I had an english muffin with peanut butter and sugar free red raspberry jam...YUMO.
  • jnamcelwain
    jnamcelwain Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What is quinoa cake??
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    1/2 cup Ezekiel 4:9 Almond and/or Golden Flax cereal (I mix the two)
    1 cup lowfat plain kefir
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Every morning I have fridge oats but I have fun coming up with all sorts of different combinations :)
  • TreEe5
    TreEe5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always have a cup of coffee and usually have one of two choices:

2 slices 100% whole wheat double fiber bread w/1 tbsp peanut butter and 1 cup 1% milk = 360 calories

or

1 - 1 1/2 cups of Fiber One cereal (80 cals a serving) and 1 cup 1% milk = 270 calories

I usually follow this up with Light & Fit yogurt and a banana around mid-morning. Of course this all depends on your calorie goal for the day, but this fits right in with mine and starts my day off well.

Remember - breakfast is the most important meal!
  • pseusie
    pseusie Posts: 16
    Options
    Today, it's an over hard egg topped with a couple of pieces of deli turkey and a slice of lf cheddar, plus a V8. Coffee will come next.

I also do omelettes with veggies and cheese sometimes, on mornings when I have a little more time. And lately I've been trying out the grain-free pancake variations-- this one's really not bad and very easy to make: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=824324
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well this is a processed food here but I tried these Belvita breakfast biscuits that I found at the store this morning that claim Nutritious Sustained Energy. I don't know about that yet but they tasted good, lol They have 18 grams of whole grain per serving.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Im not now nor ever have been a big breakfast eater but since I started a new job a few months ago that has me at work for 630am I've been getting better at the breakfast thing - usually I have a protein shake (1 scoop protein mix w/ milk) or a fruit protein shake (same as above but mix with frozen fruit and a bit of juice instead of milk) - once in a while I'll have an egg wrap - scramble 2 eggs however you like then put them onto a warmed 6" tortilla with a spoonful of shredded cheese. Smoothies/shakes are best for me since I can drink it on my drive into work
  • GrammaBRFL
    GrammaBRFL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite: An omelet made with one egg plus two egg whites, salsa to spice it up. Two slices of 45 calorie toast with sugar free jelly; 1/4 of a cantaloupe, coffee with soy milk. It comes in at 300-350 calories depending on how much soy milk.

When I have a higher calorie day ahead (i.e., plans to eat out), I often have 1/4 cantaloupe with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of fat free cottage cheese.
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    I don't know your breakfast preference or time constraints but here are my quick and easy meal.

Apple Cinnamon Refrigerator Oatmeal.
    1 Waffle with Cookie Butter (Rare)
    1/2 Bagel with Peanut Butter
    Cheerios with Protein Shake.

I switch these up by weeks. All are pretty easy to make and I normally wash it all down with a glass of soy milk.
  • needtogetwell
    Options
    Oat Bran pancake - made with 1 egg white, tbsp FF greek yogurt, and 2tbs oat bran topped with FF/SF strawberry yogurt..
  • Moosele
    Moosele Posts: 1
    Options
    Porridge made like this

1 shot glass ( this is how I use my shot glasses as I don't drink!)
    1 bowl
    1 microwave
    0 prepackaged oats eg readybreak
    1 1kg bag of oats (soooo cheap from your local supermarket - it lasts for a couple of months!)
    Milk (or water if you prefer/you've run out of milk)

1 shot of oats, 3 shots of milk and zap in the microwave for around 2 mins. It is super for the cold winter mornings, it's really good at keeping the hunger away and for me it helps me to stop snacking in the mornings, also you can add fruit to make it more interesting bananas are particularly yummy. If you get it ready the night before and leave it in the fridge it is more creamy - I do this mainly cuz its one less thing to do in the morning and my breakfast can cook while I'm in the shower.

MFP recons its around 130 Cals - Winner!
  • barbbeekman
    barbbeekman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    some yogurt w/ about 2/3 cup of Kashi crunch cereal mixed with it.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like making the cottage cheese quiche that I found the recipe for in the forums. It is made by adding 2 cups of cottage cheese (I use fat free) and two whole eggs. You can add what you want...spinach, ham, mushrooms, peppers, onions, I usually sprinkle the top with 2 tablespoons of reduced fat cheddar cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Really it is very good and if you don't like the consistency of cottage cheese put it in a food processor or blender and smooth it out. Put it in a pie pan sprayed with olive oil pan spray. You'll love it, I guarantee!
  • smh19692000
    smh19692000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I alternate every day between 2 bixies (weetabix copies but thay have less calories) with skimmed milk and splenda sweetener. The other day I have 2 shredded wheat with skimmed milk and splenda sweetener. both days I then have 2 slices of nimble wholemeal bread toasted with marmite on (No butter so lightly toasted only) all washed down with a cup of decaff tea (dash of skimmed milk in it)

Am happy with my breakfast choices. Could do with some inspitation on evenindgmeals though as have just been eating low cal stir frys every night. xx
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Like Pinky and the Brain, same thing every day.

Oatmeal,
    almond milk,
    protein powder,
    banana.

Sometimes I swap out the banana for some trail mix. And I keep the variety going by changing out the flavor of protein powder.
  • PAZ1315
    PAZ1315 Posts: 6
    Options
    Quinoa is one of my new favorites. I'm trying to get most of my carbs from grains, beans, etc., so I found a recipe on line for Quinoa cakes. I've modified it slightly...still experimenting with it, but I make a batch, freeze them, then bring one out to thaw when the craving hits. Here's the recipe (again, this is still a work in process :)

Quinoa Cakes

• 2 cups cooked Quinoa
    • 1 small onion, chopped
    • 1 small zucchini, grated & chopped
    • 1 scallion, chopped
    • 3 med cloves garlic, minced
    • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
    • ¼ cup part skim ricotta
    • 3 eggs
    • 2 slices Ezekial bread, toasted, cooled, grated into breadcrumbs
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • pepper
    • pinch cayenne

Grate zucchini and chop. Lightly salt and let drain in a strainer for a while!

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, ricotta, salt, pepper, cayenne; fold in quinoa, zucchini, onion, and scallion.

With wet hands, form into 13 cakes; transfer to wax paper-lined tray.

Refrigerate for 1hr.

In non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat; fry half the cakes turning once when golden brown, appx 6 min.

Number of Servings: 13

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 13
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 131.5
    Total Fat: 5.0 g
    Cholesterol: 43.4 mg
    Sodium: 311.5 mg
    Total Carbs: 16.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
    Protein: 5.4 g

You can really add any kind of chopped vegetable into the cakes...just know...get as much water out of the veggies as possible. I actually drain the zucchini then squeeze the water out.

The cakes are still sort of delicate.