All the questions no one wants to ask.

Options

Replies

• BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have an embarrassing question.... Im a big girl (220) and just started walking and hopefully will be running soon. Anyways, my first walk has already caused me to have a rash in between my thighs from the rubbing (I was wearing shorts). This happen to others? And what helps this go away fast, and what prevents it?!

I have the same issue! I have to make sure I wear something snug around my upper thighs when doing a lot of walking so that I don't get skin rubbing against skin or loose clothing chaffing.
    Try leggings. I even wear them under long sundresses when I'm out running errands.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sex burns about 100-150 cal per 30 minutes (depending on the umf, lol) :-D

I log it as sex, if someone on my FL doesnt like it, oh well, remove me then ;-)

30 minutes? Who is that lucky? Certainly not me LOL

Im lucky if he lasts more than 7 minutes...

REALLY?! Sex is a good 20 to 60 minute work out in my world.

This!
    But I think my energizer bunny is a bit out of the norm. I generally figure I'll be, umm... tied up... for an hour at least!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed reading all the posts in this thread. I'm new to MFP and appreciate all the learning from the forums. Some of my comments: My BMs have changed since exercising regularily - usually a bit runny but only once a day regular. My periods are not as bad since exercising. I too have been chafed - only once lol and used deodorant after that on hot days and shorts. Lost a bit of hair but it has leveled out. My hair is thin to begin with and I wonder if its bc I wear it in a pony tail more often now running and bc its summer and hot. Glad to understand some of the lingo - I like NSV and think a forum dedicated to that would be good!
    Some questions: Is everyone set at 1200 cal/day? Also in reading some posts, can you see each others' meal diaries and exercise logs - if so how? I've only just started on MFP and the forums as someone previously said - can be addictive lol - but helpful. I find if I'm watching tv or on pinterest - there's alway food popping up and making me hungry! I also have noticed that I didn't eat all my cals - but I think you've gotta look at a week instead of a day... I've been drinking more water and not used to it therefore not hungry - bloated and also been eatting later in the evening about 7 for supper (summer schedule) so just not hungry.
    Thanks for all the insight!Wishing everyone success on their lifestyle :)

Q: Is everyone set at 1200 cal/day?

A: Not everyone. Basically, MFP estimates your maintenance calories at your current weight and then subtracts 1000 calories/day for 2lb per week weight loss; 500 calories/day for 1lb per week weight loss; 250 calories/day for .5lb per week weight loss.

MFP will never recommend LESS than 1200 per day for women (or 1500 for men) as it is very difficult to get proper nutrition on fewer calories than that.

Q: Also in reading some posts, can you see each others' meal diaries and exercise logs - if so how?

A: You can control your diary settings.

Go to My Home.

Then click "Settings".

Then "Diary Settings".

Down at the bottom of the page, you can determine who you will allow to see your diary.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed that if anyone ever goes over their daily calorie limit everyone is generally really nice about it "tomorrows a new day" and comments like that. Which I actually agree with, one day doesn't count for a whole lot when we are overhauling our whole lifestyle, but if you have a day where you are way under your calorie goal you get slammed for being unhealthy and starving and all the rest... What happened to tomorrows a new day in this situation?

I think that going under (or way under) once in a while shouldn't be cause for jumping all over anyone but eating well under 1200 cals a day consistently is going to elicit a response about possibly starving oneself. I take into account if this is a once in a blue moon type of thing or an all the time thing before I comment on it.

Yeah definitely.
    I'm referring to when u just have one bad day and get sslammed for it!

I definitely don't agree with that. In fact, when I see someone who is usually right at thier goal or a bit over have a day where they are way under I ask if they are feeling ill and tell them to get better.

On a similar note, I find it strange when people lose so much weight that they look anorexic and people are congratulating them.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Why is it we are now told to 'love our curves' that is 'ok to be a BBW' or that skinny models are frowned upon yet a fat model is ok? Since when did it become acceptable to be overweight (nobody has bones THAT big) yet being underweight is a no no

I have to disagree a bit--a "plus size" model is typically around a size 10-12, aren't they?

Size 10-12 isn't plus size, so that can't be right. For most brands, there is no plus size until at least size 16.
  • harlesslee
    Options
    Do you think it's OK, for my poop to be loose, if I'm switching to a plant based diet, from a carnivorous diet?
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It's not a weird question or anything but I would like an opinion on this, my skin on my face is really dry and I wanted to know if anyone has advice on how to treat it?

I drink 3-4 litres a day, I use a moisturising lotion in the mornings then olive oil in the evenings(I thought maybe it could help but it hasn't). I work in childcare and I'm outside alot with the children, don't know if this can have affect or not. The rest of my skin is soft and smooth it's just my face and I had really bad eczema growing up.
    I don't wear alot of make up and I have to wear only specific brands as previous foundations, etc have dried out my skin more so. My skin has never been as bad as it is now:/ Am I doing something wrong?
    try eating more omega 3 fats. Think salmon nuts. Or taking a vitamin e supplement..

I'm sorry but did anyone else laugh at salmon nuts?? its amazing how a little grammar changes a sentence. I'm not judging, it just made me laugh :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have an embarrassing question.... Im a big girl (220) and just started walking and hopefully will be running soon. Anyways, my first walk has already caused me to have a rash in between my thighs from the rubbing (I was wearing shorts). This happen to others? And what helps this go away fast, and what prevents it?!

Gold Bond Powder

It works very well for me.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Gold Bond Powder

Get some body glide.. comes in a stick like deodorant. Helps prevent chafing.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Gold Bond Powder

I might check into that. The Gold Bond Powder works great though, so unless the body glide is cheaper, I don't see a need to switch.
  • lldem
    lldem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks for the answers. I'll try the settings :)
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Why is it we are now told to 'love our curves' that is 'ok to be a BBW' or that skinny models are frowned upon yet a fat model is ok? Since when did it become acceptable to be overweight (nobody has bones THAT big) yet being underweight is a no no

We are told to 'love our curves' because for the longest time, only tiny people have been chosen to model. Because of this, overweight people feel unattractive and excluded, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, we have people who try to be super-small because that's the image we have promoted as "attractive." Is either way healthy? Absolutely not. There are health risks associated with being overweight and obese, as well as for those who are underweight.

Just a thought on why being underweight is a "no no," will a 5'5" person live longer at 85 pounds or 385 pounds? If you starve yourself, your body shuts down a whole lot faster than if you're heavy.
  • AliciaStinger
    Options

Gold Bond Powder

Awesome question...I weight about 185 pounds and I have this problem, too. I had to find longer shorts for physical activities because of chafing. In the movie "Juno" actor Michael Cera, whose character was a runner, put something that looked like deodorant on the inside of his thighs. I thought it was supposed to be funny; it's nice to know there's actually something out there for that!
  • AliciaStinger
    Options

I have to disagree a bit--a "plus size" model is typically around a size 10-12, aren't they?

Size 10-12 isn't plus size, so that can't be right. For most brands, there is no plus size until at least size 16.

Plus sizes in pants tend to be 16 and up. When I was taking my "History of Women in the United States" class, my teacher told us that in the US the average pant size for women is a size 12 (I took this class in 2010). When you're talking about models, a size six or larger is considered plus sized:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/most-models-meet-criteria-for-anorexia-size-6-is-plus-size-magazine/
  • AliciaStinger
    Options
    Sex burns about 100-150 cal per 30 minutes (depending on the umf, lol) :-D

I log it as sex, if someone on my FL doesnt like it, oh well, remove me then ;-)

For those of us who aren't so lucky, how many calories does one usually burn masturbating?
  • AnnaMGP
    AnnaMGP Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Has changing your diet lifestyle affected anyone ovulating? ( aiming at the women here obviously)
    I know some women can tell when they are ovulating and some can't... I can and it used to last abit 3 days now only about 1.
    But as I said before I'm just starting out so I assume a lot I things just take the body some time I get used to..
    I"m not totally sure if it was the weight loss or not, but I had my first child when I was 21. Started that pregnancy at 180 ended at 211 and never lost that weight. When my son was 5 Dr.s told me I would probably never have another child due to not ovulating properly. At the time I could go 3 months to 1 1/2 years without a cycle. I put on 40 more pounds over the following years. In 2009 I had enough and decided to try and do something about it. By the middle of January 2010 I had gotten down to 230. End of January beginning of Feb I got pregnant again and now have a beautiful little girl who will be 2 this November.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered about those posts in the Success Stories.

Here is the question I was to scared to ask: Why do people take their success pictures in a room that is a giant hot mess? It looks like the day they started MFP was the day they stopped cleaning.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Here is the question I was to scared to ask: Why do people take their success pictures in a room that is a giant hot mess? It looks like the day they started MFP was the day they stopped cleaning.

Or didn't have the time to crop out the background. :laugh:
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Hey, it's either work out, clean house, or crop photos! No time to do it all (and soooo not giving up my workouts!!)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Hey, it's either work out, clean house, or crop photos! No time to do it all (and soooo not giving up my workouts!!)

Which is why I take my progress photos in front of a closed door, can't see the clutter that way. :P