Tired of all the "real dieters"

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    OP is a judgmental hater. Find something more constructive to say instead of putting people down please?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Well I sure wish someone would help me out here. When I put my info into MFP it set my goal at 1200 calories?

1200 calories is the minimum amount MFP will let you have as a goal. It will ask you how much weight you want to lose, and at what rate, as well as how active your lifestyle is. If you put that you want to lose weight at quite a rapid rate (say, 2lb per week), and you're not incredibly active, it will give you a goal of 1200 calories per day. If you chose 0.5 lb per week, you'll have a higher calorie goal. Play around with it a bit until it gives you a calorie goal you're happy with.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I think it is important for people to clarify when they say they are at 1200 if they are eating 1200 net or gross. There is a big difference. I am set at 1200 calories a day as well. After my daily activity and working out I end up eating anywhere from 1600 to 1800 calories. Sometimes more but my NET is 1200. There is nothing wrong with netting 1200 calories. I actually work out so I can eat more! Or more importantly drink beer. ha!
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I have been here about 5 days. I am 4'11 and started off before this site a month ago at 135..Im now 127-128...and It says I am only suppose to have 1200 because I dont get alot of exercise .I have COPD ( lung disease) and I still try to get in some little 10 minute walks and things..I havent exercised in years so Im slowly getting myself back into it.I bought an ab lounge at a yard sale for $20 and Im trying to find some friends to go walk with..Im also planning on swimming at my sisters some, so I will be able to have more calories...but you can look at my diary...sometimes I get close, but I try not to go over and I feel full..if I want something extra fatty or carbs ..then I just eat something with less for breakfast and lunch.Im just learning, any advice?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not tired of the real or fake dieters. Whatever works for someone is fine with me. And if it doesn't work, they'll find that out soon enough. Everyone must find their own path.

Me, I choose diet and exercise. Yep, I am ON A DIET. I've been on this diet for 20+ years and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. I only maintain a healthy weight when I diet. If I don't think about what I'm eating everyday, I will over eat.

Diet. Say it with me friends. It's not a dirty word. It's a wonderful thing. And it's only as temporary as you make it.

The problem with the word DIET is that most people (it seems you may be in this category, I could be wrong. If I am, I do apologize) think this word means what they DON'T or CAN'T eat/drink (yes, what you drink affects your metabolism too!). That's what screws people up. Your diet is comprised of what YOU DO EAT/DRINK.

See, it's the four letter word F-O-O-D that screws people up. FOOD is not evil. FOOD IS YOUR FRIEND! :heart:

So, on a diet one chooses carefully what they can and can't eat or drink, but in a lifestyle change they do, what? Eat and drink without thought? I doubt seriously that is the case, but if so, I'll take a diet every time.

I do limit what I can and can not eat or drink. Some things are limited to occasional use only. Some are thoughtfully added on a regular basis. Food, for me at least, can be friend or foe, depending on how I choose to control it.

It think the comment was referring to the definition of the word diet.

Your diet is what you eat and drink. Period. When people think of "going on a diet," what they mean is, "going on a restricted diet." The definition of diet is what you eat and drink, regardless of quality or quantity.

Edit: As an example...

My dog's diet consists of dog food and water.
    My cat's diet includes cat food and water.
    My diet includes whatever I can fit into my 1800 calorie allotment while insuring that I eat enough protein and fiber.

I'm not sure which comment you're talking about, but yes I know the definition of the word. It would seem those that say they aren't on a diet may not though.

Even if you use the MFP common usage definition of diet = "restricted diet" I am still on a diet. I restrict things in my diet. As do you, and I'm guess most everyone else on here who is trying to lose weight or get/stay healthy. Whether you restrict carbs, fat, calories, junk food, alcohol, sugar and/or something else, it's still a restrction diet.

Restriction diets are good things.
  • Trapwolf
    Options
    more specifically...does anyone know of a good workout for beginners?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    OP is a judgmental hater. Find something more constructive to say instead of putting people down please?

you're ridiculous. sounds like you're the judgmental hater.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Well I sure wish someone would help me out here. When I put my info into MFP it set my goal at 1200 calories?

MFP sets every woman that says they are sedentary and want to lose 2 lbs per week at 1200. If you have a lot to lose that is probably fine, as long you log all activity beyond being sedentary and eat most or all of those activity calories back so that you have 1200 net calories.

Example - if you do exercise to burn 350 calories today, then you should be eating 1550 calories today (1200 base plus the extra to fuel your exercise). You don't need to hit it exactly every day, but it should average out pretty close over the course of several days.

If you don't have a lot to lose, you would probably be better off setting to lose 1 lb per week. And if you have only a few (20 or less) to 1/2 lb per week.
  • Trapwolf
    Options

MFP sets every woman that says they are sedentary and want to lose 2 lbs per week at 1200. If you have a lot to lose that is probably fine, as long you log all activity beyond being sedentary and eat most or all of those activity calories back so that you have 1200 net calories.

Example - if you do exercise to burn 350 calories today, then you should be eating 1550 calories today (1200 base plus the extra to fuel your exercise). You don't need to hit it exactly every day, but it should average out pretty close over the course of several days.

If you don't have a lot to lose, you would probably be better off setting to lose 1 lb per week. And if you have only a few (20 or less) to 1/2 lb per week.

Oh, Thank you ..this is so helpful to me.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I agree with the others that say the OP is judgmental. In my opinion, that was a very condescending post. I say worry about yourself lest you be judged by others.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There is more than one definition of the word 'diet'. The broader meaning is about lifestyle, and actually literally means a way of life, although it is used solely with regard to food nowadays. The more narrow meaning is a prescribed course of restricted food intake.

Normally you can tell from context which meaning someone is using. For instance, 'I can't eat that - I'm on a diet!' tends to mean a person is restricting their food intake, whereas 'I try to eat a healthy balanced diet' tends to refer to the broader meaning of what one eats on a day to day basis.
    Options
    okay..for the last time...this thread..in its entirety was a PARODY OF ANOTHER THREAD titled "tired of all the "fake dieters"" and was not intended to be me attempting to convert everyone to my way of thinking. It quickly spiraled into something else and people think I'm trying to be hurtful which couldn't be further from the truth. I did not want to go into a huge argument on the other thread about "fake dieters" so I made my own--I didn't think people would honestly dispute the belief that exercising intensely while eating 1200 calories is less than ideal. Or that neglecting exercise completely will likely result in a body that doesn't look the way we want it to.

My apologies for not making that clear in the very beginning. I am NOT TRYING TO BE CONDESCENDING or hurtful to anyone. I help many many many people. I am patient, considerate, and compassionate and never make people feel bad for approaching their goals in a way that I don't agree with. I simply unfriend them if they want to continue that way because I want like-minded friends. Before unfriending I do my best to inform them of a way that is sustainable and maybe they will have better success doing it their way (I can't know for sure), and that's fine, I just choose not to surround myself by those people.

I really really really did not want this thread to become what it did but that's the nature of the internet. So again, if I offended you that was not my intent. If I helped you, then GREAT as that's always my goal!
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i don't get what's so bad about 1200 calories? i changed my diet a week and a half ago. i pretty much eat meat and veggies, and even added coconut oil and i still have to force myself to get near 1200 most days. i could eat way more than 1200 in a day when i was eating junk food. but now eating REAL food and good fats, i'm staying satisfied much longer. also, the ONLY exercise i've had in the last week and a half is a few minutes of roller blading, yet i've lost 10 lbs in the past week and a half. i thought i having success, but apparently i'm wrong. lol
    Options
    i don't get what's so bad about 1200 calories? i changed my diet a week and a half ago. i pretty much eat meat and veggies, and even added coconut oil and i still have to force myself to get near 1200 most days. i could eat way more than 1200 in a day when i was eating junk food. but now eating REAL food and good fats, i'm staying satisfied much longer. also, the ONLY exercise i've had in the last week and a half is a few minutes of roller blading, yet i've lost 10 lbs in the past week and a half. i thought i having success, but apparently i'm wrong. lol

no you are having success...however, I'd recommend you eat back the calories you burn from exercise so that you have the deficit calculated by MFP when you set up your profile. The method is set up so that you add in your exercise calories and eat more according to your activity level.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I agree as well..This is NOT a diet. I's a lifestyle change. I too, eat in moderation, which includes cakes, ice cream, chips, burgers and so on from time to time if it fits in my intake. I usually do treat meals at least once a week and go a little over my intake if needed for gatherings, holidays, so on. :happy:
  • altcry
    altcry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am new to this and a little confused. I was given 1200 calories per day...i am a short girl. and work out 3-4 times a week. I eat my 1200 when i work out sometimes i can't eat all my calories because I am not hungry....so are you saying that we should be eating more? to lose weight?
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    all these judgmental forum posts really make me annoyed.

if you dont like how someone is doing something so much than stop reading their journals.

I come on here for my goals and I frankly will eat as much as I am hungry for and when I am drinking 8-10 glasses of water AND eating healthy/ watching my sodium which is a big deal for me I often just hit 1000-1300.

If people don't like my food diary then they can stop reading it..

I don't mind constructive criticism but I hate when people are rude or tell me how I HAVE to eat the RIGHT way. If I tried to please everyone Who knows what I would end up eating because I have had people want me to eat more, less, protein, no meat, more meat, eat back exercise.. dont..etc.

Just let them do their thing. If you want to help do it gently and if you just wanna pick on them on a forum just unfriend them and save everyone the trouble.

Only the defensive seem to see it as judgmental...those individuals who want to justify their habits. This post was a "response" tithe thread condemning "fake dieters" so if you didn't read that thread then this post kind of lack context. In any case I wasn't judging anyone--expressing disapproval of changes that are unhealthy, yes. this is not the same as judging the individual.

I read the previous thread and figured this was a response to that. A little "tongue in cheek" but good information none the less. ;) I do think newcomers who think 1200 is the norm because that is what MFP spits out to almost everyone if you plug in a 2lb loss/week deserve to know that there is an alternative that might work for them :)
    Options
    I am new to this and a little confused. I was given 1200 calories per day...i am a short girl. and work out 3-4 times a week. I eat my 1200 when i work out sometimes i can't eat all my calories because I am not hungry....so are you saying that we should be eating more? to lose weight?

Yes, when you workout you should be eating more than the allotted 1200 calories. you should be eating 1200 + calories burned from exercise. This is what we are referring to when we say 1200 net calories. If you work out and burn 300 and only eat 1200 then your net is then 1200-300 = 900. does that make sense?
  • MrsLip4d
    MrsLip4d Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    Options
    There is more than one definition of the word 'diet'. The broader meaning is about lifestyle, and actually literally means a way of life, although it is used solely with regard to food nowadays. The more narrow meaning is a prescribed course of restricted food intake.

Normally you can tell from context which meaning someone is using. For instance, 'I can't eat that - I'm on a diet!' tends to mean a person is restricting their food intake, whereas 'I try to eat a healthy balanced diet' tends to refer to the broader meaning of what one eats on a day to day basis.

I don't see the difference in your examples. But diet refers only to food, not to lifestyle, which would include many things beyond food.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/diet?s=t

di·et [dahy-it] noun, verb, di·et·ed, di·et·ing, adjective
    noun
    1. food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and its effects on health: Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
    2. a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease: a diet low in sugar.
    3. such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
    4. the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group: The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
    5. food or feed habitually eaten or provided: The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.

I think that is why so many insist this is not a diet but a lifestyle change. Because they are changing more than just their eating habits. But they are still on a diet as part of that change.