Raw Milk Anyone?

Options
I'm interested in buying raw milk....I've had it before when my grandparents still milked cows....and the stuff is glorious.

Does anyone buy from local farmers and stuff? I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on some. I know its not legal generally.

General thoughts?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    here in the UK it is available if bought direct from the farmer, or at a farmer's market. unpasteurised milk products are generally available everywhere (cheese etc.)

There are risks associated with raw milk, but then again, there are risks with everything, and plenty of people have grown up big and strong on a diet of raw milk. In fact, I believe the actual cases of infection from raw milk are infinitesiminally small.

I have no idea how you'll get hold of it in the states.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yeah....I'm having a hard time finding anyone who advertises it around here. It must be a word of mouth type of thing since the legality of unpastuerized milk is in question.
  • pilady66
    pilady66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could check this link and see if any of them are near you.

http://www.realmilk.com/where05.html#mn
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Any one here drink it? Do you have any pro/cons?
  • ennysmith
    Options
    It's difficult to purchase the milak direct from the farmer
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    We can buy direct from a farm shop which is also a dairy, we're in the UK. I don't buy it now because the farm shop that supplies it is too far away to buy from regularly (an hours drive away). I drank raw milk all my childhood (grew up on a farm) and it did me no harm at all if anything it has probably given me many health benefits :)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i have no axe to grind on this but why would you want raw milk over pastuerised milk?

Below is from the FDA

Raw Milk & Pasteurization: Debunking Milk Myths
    While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reactions. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.
    Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.
    Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened.
    Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.
    Pasteurization DOES save lives.
  • annabell48
    Options
    You're not alone with wanting to go with raw milk. I would rather have it raw over being pasteurized as well. My suggestion is if you're fairly close to an Amish community, check with an Amish family to see if you can by raw milk from them.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    real raw milk can be purchased on the "black market" here in the states. lol. Depending on the state, you can purchase it if you claim to be buying it for your animals....lol. It's really silly.

There is every study under the sun that states how good raw milk is for you AND how bad raw milk is for you. It is one of those things that you just take with a grain of salt. Either you want it or you don't. Personally, we drink it. We had a difficult time purchasing it "legally" when we lived in Georgia. Now we just buy it underground. It's easier and cheaper.

This site may help: http://www.realmilk.com/where03.html

ETA: There is a difference between raw milk and whole milk in advertising. Many farmers will heat their raw milk prior to selling.
  • bensmommy1117
    Options
    I grew up on a dairy farm and have drank raw milk my whole life. I love it. Store bought stuff just tastes blah to me. And I have never once gotten sick from it. Just make sure the farm you purchase it from is clean and the facilities are sanitary. I wouldn't hesitate to eat of my Dad's milkhouse floor, he's always been a stickler about keeping everything spotless.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    From the Center for Disease Control:

Many people who chose raw milk thinking they would improve their health instead found themselves (or their loved ones) sick in a hospital for several weeks fighting for their lives from infections caused by germs in raw milk. For example, a person can develop severe or even life-threatening diseases, such as Guillain-Barré syndrome, which can cause paralysis, and hemolytic uremic syndrome, which can result in kidney failure and stroke.

There are a lot of fine ways to die. I don't consider drinking milk to be one of them.
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    raw milk is illegal in some states if you can believe that. Of course owning your own milk cow is the best way to getting milk, but if you do not have that option I would say either a farmers market (though they heat their milk alot of the time before selling) or direct from a farm that milks. I was raised on raw milk and still prefer it to store bought milk, I love it. you get your butter, cream and milk all in the same purchase :P
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    when you are at the grocrey store look for the local milks. I know hannaford carries diffrent local brands, buy a regular bottle ( for the number) and call them. Most farms do it. At least in the US anyways.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    not chiming in to be helpful, just saying it's illegal in Australia and there's warnings everywhere out in the rural areas...
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Do a search in your local area for a term called 'Community Shared Agriculture'. Essentially what this is is you purchase a "share" of a local farm or farms where on a weekly basis you get a share of the crops. This helps the farmers as you pay upfront and infuses capital into their farms for the season. Most are organic and many have meat and dairy as options including Raw milk. Just make sure the farms are USDA inspected and most of them should be. Depending where you live many of the CSA programs are about finished so could be too late but you should be able to find where to get the raw milk for now. Nothing wrong with a weekly ratio of organic veggies, grass-fed meat and free-range poultry! And the prices are usually very reasonable.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    this totally just made me think of this:

82_2.JPG
  • Kate8059
    Kate8059 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We drink raw milk from our goats when we have extra. Probably not helpful at all but in Canada its illegal to sell raw milk. As far as I know if your caught youll be fined and I think you can be shut down and lose your quota (not completely sure though). There were people who were "leasing" there cows to people so those people would "own the milk" and drink it as they please (but not sell it). But that got shut down too. I've heard of black markets in the city.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Raw milk tastes good - that is the real reason. I used to drink it every once in a while when I could get it from a small farm that is land-held by my MIL. But honestly, it is dangerous. Especially for kids. If you want to take the risk personally - fine. Giving it to children is criminal unless you really know the source.

Pregnant women or those near pregnant women should avoid it too - the real risks, especially in America, around salmonella can be catastrophic. Other risks include listeriosis, E. coli infection, Q-fever and tuberculosis. All nice.

Raw milk is one of the most dangerous food products and is responsible for many more hospitalizations than any other food-related disease outbreak - so take that into consideration.

The issue with raw milk in America is that since it is illegal in about half the states there is limited control or testing in these states. It would be possible to develop a better industry today given the quality of microbial testing but not in that legal and economic environment of volume.

Europe has a different position and raw milk is available in almost all countries. Cheese from raw milk? I would not like to live without it. Love my Comte.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    All pasteurization does is heat the milk to above 161 degrees F and then rapidly cools it. That's it. Doing so kills off 99% of bacteria in it (all the ones harmful to humans). No added chemicals. Nothing removed or drained or strained. Chemical composition remains exactly the same, and even the dead bacteria isn't removed. Simply just heated and cooled. There is also absolutely no beneficial bacteria in raw milk at all. None.

According to the CDC: "1,837 illnesses, 195 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths" of which, 82% were from raw milk. This is between 1998 and 2009.

You COULD buy raw milk, heat it yourself, and then cool it... but then... why not just get pasteurized?