I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Options

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    sidebar: how can the term "tone" offend anyone???... lol

LOL. "Toned" offends me because of it's mis-use by the fitness industry to pander to women who are afraid of muscles. "Don't want to grow big manly muscles? Come to my gym and lift low weights for high reps and get 'toned'."

I lift heavy weights for low reps, so when people call me "toned" I cringe.

so does toned offened you? or does the fitness industry offend you...?
    does the term skinny fat offend you or ppl using it out of context... ?
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hey, lets all just say what is not being said (or may have been but i refuse to troll thru ppl saying the same thing using as many big words as they can)...

someone either
    1. said something to me that offended me and i didn't ask nor want their advise (or to someone else who didn't ask or want their advise)...
    Solution: kindly inform them their opinion was neither asked nor required
    2. someone categorized you as skinny fat & whether you asked or not, you do not actually fit into that category
    Solution: correct them
    3. Someone, whos opinion you may or may not have asked for classified you as something you may or may not have been...
    Solution: in the words of dear ole momma - "well are you a tree?" if not then why the heck are you letting it bother you?!

Lets face it we are all individuals. Theres this lil thing called freedom & while it gives you the right to post unproductive rants in the forums, not only does it also give others the right to do as they please, but it doesn't make you look too mature...

In addition, you have a status line on ur profile for a reason, if you must vent about trivial matters - why not do it there?, unless your goal is drama?? which probably is the case & i'm giving you just as you wish :O .. reality sets in... i'm out!

:laugh:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    sidebar: how can the term "tone" offend anyone???... lol

LOL. "Toned" offends me because of it's mis-use by the fitness industry to pander to women who are afraid of muscles. "Don't want to grow big manly muscles? Come to my gym and lift low weights for high reps and get 'toned'."

so does toned offened you? or does the fitness industry offend you...?
    does the term skinny fat offend you or ppl using it out of context... ?

Very little actually offends me. "Toned" annoys me. Pandering annoys me. Using "skinny fat" for everyone who is thin but not muscled annoys me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that having "high" levels of body fat is a concern no matter your weight. I just think "skinny fat" is over used and can be insulting. I didn't say people in this condition should be happy with themselves. I said they should continue to do what they need to improve their health and physique.

I agree with you Rae... just wondering what the VS models are labeled/considered, skinny or skinny fat?

vs-models3.jpg

Definitely skinny. Their ribs are showing! If you are into that, it's all good. I know guys that are into fat chicks too. Everybody has their own personal tastes.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    This is why I am glad that I have decided to completely ignore labels, and ESPECIALLY ones spoken on the Internet. They mean something different to everyone and are quite frankly useless. I am somewhere between what most people would call curvy and just plain regular fat, but I prefer to go by Melinda, and if we're using labels I prefer "badass."

:smokin:

Love it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In addition, you have a status line on ur profile for a reason, if you must vent about trivial matters - why not do it there?, unless your goal is drama?? which probably is the case & i'm giving you just as you wish :O .. reality sets in... i'm out!

So if you say something to the general public instead of just to your group of friends, it's being a drama queen?

I don't consider the mis-and-over-use of the term to be trivial, nor is it something that only affects the people on my FL. I think it's a valid term that gets tossed around way to casually, often as a way to degrade someone.
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    When I hear the term, I think of myself. I don't find it offensive, I just think of it as a way of describing a body like mine. I am a thin person, but I have been lazy for a long time and really don't have much in the way of muscular definition. I mean, you can see me in my profile pic, and in other pictures. By no means am I overweight, but do you see any muscles popping out? Nope! It is all flab. I'm hoping to change that though. I feels like my legs are finally starting to get a bit stronger :)
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Hey, lets all just say what is not being said (or may have been but i refuse to troll thru ppl saying the same thing using as many big words as they can)...

someone either
    1. said something to me that offended me and i didn't ask nor want their advise (or to someone else who didn't ask or want their advise)...
    Solution: kindly inform them their opinion was neither asked nor required
    2. someone categorized you as skinny fat & whether you asked or not, you do not actually fit into that category
    Solution: correct them
    3. Someone, whos opinion you may or may not have asked for classified you as something you may or may not have been...
    Solution: in the words of dear ole momma - "well are you a tree?" if not then why the heck are you letting it bother you?!

Lets face it we are all individuals. Theres this lil thing called freedom & while it gives you the right to post unproductive rants in the forums, not only does it also give others the right to do as they please, but it doesn't make you look too mature...

No one has ever called me skinny fat. I am not skinny fat. I wanted to discuss it here on the forums in hope that people would stop using it incorrectly. I felt sorry for an 18 year old girl asking people if she was skinny fat. This post isn't really drama. If I wanted to cause drama I'd talk about abortion, politics, or religion.

ETA: OR ADULT WOMEN SHOPPING IN THE JUNIORS SECTION! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

We may disagree on the whole "skinny fat" issue but you score major brownie points with your perspective on "toned." :drinker:

:laugh:

You guys and your anti-toning! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When I was first on MFP I learned about the term and it was being misused, so I did think it was some kind of bizarre insult that did not make any sense. I was not "hurt", no one said it to me. But, from one other recent thread and also this one I was able to learn what it actually was, and now I do see the value in it (although obviously there is still tons of misinformation in this thread). I still think it would be good if people understand what it actually means, which is why conversations like these are good. Even if no one else learned anything. I did learn.

I think that is the real problem. It has no official meaning. It's little more than opinion, which is why I think it comes off as offensive. There is a specific definition of obese, so even though a person may like being called obese, it's less offensive because they can look up the criteria and see that they are obese.

Skinny fat is arguable because it's really just a way of saying "I think you look too flabby".
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that having "high" levels of body fat is a concern no matter your weight. I just think "skinny fat" is over used and can be insulting. I didn't say people in this condition should be happy with themselves. I said they should continue to do what they need to improve their health and physique.

I agree with you Rae... just wondering what the VS models are labeled/considered, skinny or skinny fat?

vs-models3.jpg

Definitely skinny. Their ribs are showing! If you are into that, it's all good. I know guys that are into fat chicks too. Everybody has their own personal tastes.

Well.. someone must like that body type if they're earning 45 million a year, no?
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2012/06/14/the-worlds-highest-paid-models/
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Honestly, I like these models better (but I still wouldn't call the VS gals "skinny fat", they are damn hawt.)

athleta-09.jpg

Athleta-Tankini-784583.jpg
  • karrielynn80
    Options

So if you say something to the general public instead of just to your group of friends, it's being a drama queen?

No, but when you do it as a rant in an unproductive manner, yes. The post wasn't started as a question or a search for knowledge it was used as a rant, from a person feeling the need to proclaim their opinion - which clearly is the same manner in which everyone else who has offended her by using said term was doing...
    I don't consider the mis-and-over-use of the term to be trivial, nor is it something that only affects the people on my FL. I think it's a valid term that gets tossed around way to casually, often as a way to degrade someone.

And "Alaah" forbid it be approached in a manner that leaves room for discussion. Posting a topic for discussion where all opinions are welcomed is productive; Posting your opinion as a forum discussion is childish.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    well, i think the term describes people with a good BMI but fat body fat percentage?

truth is, if you get rid of 'skinny-fat' people will just call it something else which rolls of the tongue. at this moment, i would say i am skinny-fat. it's just a quick way of describing my predicament.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I like these models better (but I still wouldn't call the VS gals "skinny fat", they are damn hawt.)

athleta-09.jpg

Athleta-Tankini-784583.jpg
    Me too. However someone will call them 'manly' in 3....2....1....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

vs-models3.jpg

Using your definition of skinny being 'skin and bones', these ladies are definately not. In fact you can see decent muscle tone on the one on the left. They are slim or slender if you like, but not skinny in the context that you use it.
  • Rae6503
    Options

No, but when you do it as a rant in an unproductive manner, yes. The post wasn't started as a question or a search for knowledge it was used as a rant, from a person feeling the need to proclaim their opinion - which clearly is the same manner in which everyone else who has offended her by using said term was doing...

And "Alaah" forbid it be approached in a manner that leaves room for discussion. Posting a topic for discussion where all opinions are welcomed is productive; Posting your opinion as a forum discussion is childish.

Did I ever post: "Don't reply if you don't agree with me."? No. In fact, I agreed that it is in fact a medical condition of which people should be concerned.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

vs-models3.jpg

I'm 5'11" and that's about what I look like when my weight is in the 150-160 range, so 'tis my goal to be so hideous.

Currently, I have a substantial amount of belly fat and back rolls that I'm working on losing. The fat storage starts at the lower part of my rib cage and I can see my upper ribs. They're not very pronounced, but are visible enough for me to count them. It's not a goal of mine to be able to see my ribs, but I've always been able to no matter what shape I'm in, so it's apparently genetic.

Hey. I guess that means I'm skinny fat! Que sera sera. :)
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    No one has ever called me skinny fat. I am not skinny fat. I wanted to discuss it here on the forums in hope that people would stop using it incorrectly. I felt sorry for an 18 year old girl asking people if she was skinny fat. This post isn't really drama. If I wanted to cause drama I'd talk about abortion, politics, or religion.

well (and this will be my last post b/c i really feel i'm just fueling a pointless flame) you're hope was that people would read your initial post and agree with you, or read your initial post and take your word as gold. otherwise you'd be open to the other opinions that are being added in. a discussion is something that is mullti-sided; at least that is how it appears to me (and there is no "discussion" to be had on that statement b/c it is not multi-sided - it's my opinion, therefore i'll refrain from posting a new discussion on the topic b/c i'm an adult).

Ps. you picking apart terminology used with in a fitness community to a fitness community. you might as well be speaking out for abortion at a baptist church.

To re-emphasize. I have no problem with you having a problem with anything. My opinion on the matter at hand is that you are placing WAY to much emphasis on terminology rather than your clear frustration with how people approach things they know nothing about... and my frustration with that is that you choose to do so in a forum - or in a manner which is doing nothing more than giving all those who want drama, just that. That may not have been your intent & i meant no disrespect to your opinion but that is how it has come across & the result of it.

You clearly are doing something great, b/c your progress looks amazing! have a good day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ps. you picking apart terminology used with in a fitness community to a fitness community. you might as well be speaking out for abortion at a baptist church.

That made me giggle. I thought the same thing when I came on here and heard the "fitness community" using the term as derogatory for those that are not overweight but did not "lift heavy". I've worked in healthcare for 30+ years and had only heard the term used differently before joining MFP.