I offically hate the term "skinny-fat".

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I like these models better (but I still wouldn't call the VS gals "skinny fat", they are damn hawt.)

athleta-09.jpg

Athleta-Tankini-784583.jpg

TOTALLY AGREE! :drinker:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There's just a few more things that I want to say:

1) The Victoria Secret models represent a body image goal that is unrealistic for most people for a lot of reasons. That is genetic. But, that does not mean that they look bad or that all of us that don't look like them look bad. It just means that we look different and we have different bodies.

We all need to set fitness goals for ourselves that are realistic for our body types and not compare ourselves to others. Then we are being both healthy for ourselves and we don't feel the need to put others down.

2) A lot of people use a comparison similar to this: One person weighs 100 pounds and has 15% body fat, another person weighs 150 pounds and has 15% body fat. So, they think that means those 2 people have the exact same amount of fat and the heavier person has more muscle. That is an inaccurate understanding of how the math works. The bigger person has more muscle, and also more fat. I'm not saying the bigger person is fat, not at all. They both have 15% body fat, neither of them is fat. I hope this makes sense.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I hate toned too. Bulky follows that, and skinny-fat is a distant third.

The only reason I somewhat don't hate skinny-fat is that I have a coworker who smokes, couldn't run a mile, and hasn't been to a gym ever and he tells me I should eat less and go to the gym more all the while he is genetically small, but not in good shape and has a higher body fat percentage for a guy than I have for a girl. So yeah, I call him skinny-fat in my head. Or more commonly I call him "overfat" which means that while he may not be overweight, he is carrying more fat than healthy.

Oh, he also recently told me that I have too much muscle for a girl. Probably just because I have more than him :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    z196666000.jpg
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think we're always seeking new ways to make people feel inadequate.

^^^ this
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I like the term--yay SKINNY FAT. Call it what it is. If you feel bad then do something about it. I'm not going to applaud someone for neglecting weight training, fitness, and focusing all their efforts on getting the scale to go down. Sorry.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The problem is that people lately have been posing the question to other members to confirm if their current body composition in relation to their weight and appearance constitutes the label, "skinny fat." This, naturally, is going to open the proverbial can of worms.

That's what prompted this rant. WHY would you want to ask strangers to negatively label you? I don't go around asking people if I have "Thunder Thighs".

i nearly chokedwhen i read this lol
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I hate toned too. Bulky follows that, and skinny-fat is a distant third.

The only reason I somewhat don't hate skinny-fat is that I have a coworker who smokes, couldn't run a mile, and hasn't been to a gym ever and he tells me I should eat less and go to the gym more all the while he is genetically small, but not in good shape and has a higher body fat percentage for a guy than I have for a girl. So yeah, I call him skinny-fat in my head. Or more commonly I call him "overfat" which means that while he may not be overweight, he is carrying more fat than healthy.

Oh, he also recently told me that I have too much muscle for a girl. Probably just because I have more than him :)

I'd only ever heard the term for people like your coworker.. people who look thin but are not at all healthy.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I thought "skinny-fat" meant normal BMI but actual bodyfat % was well into the overweight range bordering on obese? Meaning the person is visually thin/normal looking but is not healthy and has very low lean body mass in relation to their weight.
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    I never heard the term skinny-fat used in a negative way until I read it in some posts on this site. I guess it's all in the way it's used. I have a friend who always said she thought I was very active "for a person your size" and I never took it as an insult ... but I guess it's the same as skinny-fat. No matter what the terminology, I think it's always going to offend someone, probably depending on the way they first heard it used. (Although I have NEVER heard anyone use the phrase "but she has such a pretty face" used in a positive way ... that's probably one of my biggest pet peeves!)
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think "skinny fat" has some validity, but it's overused. It's not just someone who is in a healthy weight and has a little pudgy spots here and there. Not someone who doesn't have visible abs or biceps or quads.

Some folks want to use "skinny fat" for anyone who isn't built like a fitness model. Supermodels are not skinny fat. They're just skinny. Skinny fat is an extreme situation caused by prolonged undereating and poor nutrition.

oh, so this!!!

I really don't claim to know anything (yet) about fitness and nutrition... but I have seen "skinny fat" up close and personal - it is a result of ZERO physical activity and eating at a huge calorie deficit... the bulk of which is literally "junk food" (ie: chips and a Blizzard... and that's all for the whole day...really).

I have never known anyone like this before... and I've known plenty of skinny people. This particular person is the only one I would ever confidently label as "skinny fat".
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I definitely think that having "high" levels of body fat is a concern no matter your weight. I just think "skinny fat" is over used and can be insulting. I didn't say people in this condition should be happy with themselves. I said they should continue to do what they need to improve their health and physique.

I agree with you Rae... just wondering what the VS models are labeled/considered, skinny or skinny fat?

vs-models3.jpg

Definitely skinny. Their ribs are showing! If you are into that, it's all good. I know guys that are into fat chicks too. Everybody has their own personal tastes.

Using your definition of skinny being 'skin and bones', these ladies are definately not. In fact you can see decent muscle tone on the one on the left. They are slim or slender if you like, but not skinny in the context that you use it.

I think they have varying degrees of "skinniness." the one on the far right of the photo looks NATURALLY thin/slender--no bones or unsightliness. A couple are "skinny" in my book.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I definitely think that having "high" levels of body fat is a concern no matter your weight. I just think "skinny fat" is over used and can be insulting. I didn't say people in this condition should be happy with themselves. I said they should continue to do what they need to improve their health and physique.

I agree with you Rae... just wondering what the VS models are labeled/considered, skinny or skinny fat?

vs-models3.jpg

Definitely skinny. Their ribs are showing! If you are into that, it's all good. I know guys that are into fat chicks too. Everybody has their own personal tastes.

Using your definition of skinny being 'skin and bones', these ladies are definately not. In fact you can see decent muscle tone on the one on the left. They are slim or slender if you like, but not skinny in the context that you use it.

I think they have varying degrees of "skinniness." the one on the far right of the photo looks NATURALLY thin/slender--no bones or unsightliness. A couple are "skinny" in my book.

Those women are in their teens or early 20s. I was naturally thin at that age and you could see my ribs and hip bones -- even more than you can see on any of those models..
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    z196666000.jpg

This.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    So, what is actually considered a "high" BF % to merit the term skinny-fat? Healthy range for body fat percentage in women is 21 to 32/33. Not fair to use the term to describe people who are within healthy weight, healthy BMI and healthy BF%. Then it is derogatory because you are judging someone's appearance based on your own ideal body image.
    Ugh...If a woman is 30% body fat, yet has a high lean body mass because of years of lifting heavy and eating a surplus to increase muscle volume, she would not be considered skinny fat. However, if that same woman went on a ridiculous diet plan involving cutting her energy availability to 0 because of severe calorie restriction and hours of cardio to the effect her body fat drops to 27% yet decreases lean body mass by 70%, that is a different description. Body fat alone is not the only variable here. It's a combination of both average-to-high body fat and an actual substantial loss in muscle volume due to high calorie deficits from eating far too little and exercising way too much.

Thank you for explaining. Ok, I think I get it. But can the difference between the two be visibly apparent? I mean in the example of the 30% woman, she'd have a pretty good layer of fat over her muscles, right? Similarly, can you tell if the 27% woman has lost lean body mass? Can you really tell that she doesnt strength train? Serious question. I don't know because I never studied these things, but I have known women who included strength training in with cardio and they look normal--even great-- to me. They just don't have the clearly defined muscles or washboard stomach. I certainly wouldn't call them skinny-fat, but I doubt their body fat percentage is much lower than mine.

Out of curiosity, what would you call the woman in the 30% example you used?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

vs-models3.jpg

Those women are in their teens or early 20s. I was naturally thin at that age and you could see my ribs and hip bones -- even more than you can see on any of those models..

Miranda Kerr (second to our right) is 29 (if this is a recent photo). I'm not sure about the other ladies. The VS models can model well into their 30's, even after having children (like Heidi Klum for example).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what would you call the woman in the 30% example you used?

Higher muscle mass and higher body fat would just be... pretty much normal, run of the mill, slightly overweight. Same as normal muscle mass with higher body fat. It's only when it's very low muscle mass with higher body fat that the dreaded term skinny fat comes into play.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    an you be skinny and fat at the same time? Experts say you can and it may be putting your life at risk for life-threatening diseases. Being slender may not be all it's cracked up to be.

"You can't tell by looking at someone how healthy they are and, in fact, your scale is not a very good indication of your health. It gives only one piece of information, not the overall picture of your health," explains Dr. Susan Albers of the Cleveland Clinic.

That's because there's a growing trend of people who suffer from skinny-fat syndrome – they may look thin, but have a high percentage of body fat. That number on the scale, even if it's in a normal or slightly underweight range, doesn't tell if you have excess body fat.

Many skinny-fat people wreak havoc on their bodies by not watching what they eat or not exercising, or both. With skinny-fat people, fat tends to hide around vital organs, especially in the abdominal area. This visceral fat is responsible for diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, and other major health issues.

To see if you are at risk for certain conditions, Dr. Albers suggests getting blood work done.

"It can tell you if you're exercising, if you're getting enough nutrition, your vitamins, your minerals. If you're getting enough sleep, your stress level. Blood work gives you a great first start in getting the overall picture of your health," she says.

A blood test can reveal your cholesterol, potassium and glucose levels. And if you are carrying a few extra pounds, you may also consider getting your body fat checked by a professional who can conduct skin fold measurements.

Trimming down your fat not only cuts your chances of developing serious health issues, but also may help you feel and look great, both inside and out.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm a slender, healthy dancer that has started heavy lifting to build more muscle (as I am getting slightly older now, just barely). I love so many of the responses on here (body positive about all different body types). If anyone (that doesn't make snap judgements about slender people) wants to add me as a friend, feel free. I also aim for the more athletic body goal and love all your beautiful progress with strength training. It's been nice chatting with you all. I had great muscle definition before I started weights, but I am loving my progress with weights already! I'll be a supportive friend to anyone that wants that as well (whatever your goals are). :smile:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    BinaryPulsar,
    You may disagree or agree since you are a dancer but I've met quite a number of ballet dancers in their early 20s who would fall in the category due to years of falling victim to various eating disorders. I clearly recall many of them having body fat percentages in the 30s when I tested them because their lean body mass had decreased so sharply. Also, a lot of the research I look into is primarily about young female athletes with eating disorders. Anyway, I'm glad you, as a dancer, enjoy strength training and have established increasing muscle volume as one of your goals which is very important in your sport.