Over 60, I am NOT willing to give UP! Anyone my age??

Options

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    60 here and working hard to improve my physical state! We do care!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely not alone on your journey. I'm 64 and I joined MFP in February. I have a long way to go,:happy: but I'm not giving up.
  • Katz135
    Options
    Not over sixty but getting close.. 56 in October. And you are soooooooooooo right. This is a lot harder now than 30 years ago. I have a long road ahead of me (about 60 pounds) and can use all the support i can get. :) Have a good one and take it one day at a time.
  • stanray1950
    stanray1950 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A 62 year old - and I am absolutely committed to the program offered by MFP. It works - I have lost 70 lbs, starting in September 2009. It took a year or so to reach goal weight - but, have kept it off. I have posted my food and exercise diary as faithfully as I can every day since about January 24, 2012 - it works.

NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on Jan 11th of this year. I am 51 and I've lost 41 lbs. It is definately a lot different than when I was younger, I just find that I have to sweat more than I used to. Hotflashes help with that. lol
    You can do this! You just have to make up your mind that you want it bad and everything will fall into place. Take it one step at a time, make it a lifestyle change, not a diet, and you will reach your goals!
  • IngeliseA
    IngeliseA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 57 and have yo-yo'ed most of my adult life and feel that it is time to get serious about getting into better shape and into better health, I do not want to have to rely on drugs to keep me going in my "golden" years! I have about 50 pounds to lose and I think that it really helps to belong to this site with all the support and encourgagement that everyone gives each other. I try to get to the gym as often as possible, I usually do some cardio and then some weight lifting which is supposed to be very good for the bones at this age!
  • gaylelynnmc
    Options
    I firmly believed that I couldn't loose weight because of my age...however...I now know that is so far from the truth...I am doing great and feeling so much better...I absolutely love MFP for being online for me and so many others. I always use to loose weight when I wrote it all down so this is easy and I can do it anywhere in the world. I am always looking for new friends for support and to offer my support...so anyone please feel free to add me...cheers everyone!!
  • lilolegranny
    lilolegranny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There's alot of us 60 + out there! I just started this MFP journey myself, so I know how you feel. I, too would like to find some friends here that are seriously wanting to change their health for the better. I have a very long way to go. Maybe we can get a 60 + group together for moral support !:smile:
  • lilolegranny
    lilolegranny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great job! What a difference ! Hope I can be as successful as you have been. :flowerforyou:
  • mcrower
    mcrower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So here I am, the constant yo-yo dieter. However, as old as I am (I'm in my early 60's), I'm still at it...and "it" seems to be working. (^-^) ! YEAH!!! I've tried every diet...been on WW twice (hated the meetings); been to a "diet" doc that had me take diet pills that left me spacy and wacked out; tried the atkins...you get the picture. I always gain back.

I have lost 16 lbs in a little over a month and I **feel fantastic. I have gone down from a size 16 to 14. A very saavy friend who is a role model for me, plus continues to be a good friend encouraged me to take the size 16's to Goodwill and "be done with them". She said keeping my "fat clothes would always open up the possibility that I would return to wear them. I told you she was saavy!

The biggest and most positive thing, I think is that I have gone from eating crap to eating a plant strong diet. I am pretty much a vegetarian, almost a vegan--except that I still eat some cheese (mainly parmesan for flavor), and have an occasional yogurt and have had fish twice this last month. But other than that I am eating clean!!!
    I am using the My Fitness Pal food tracker after every meal, which keeps me focused on exactly what I am putting into my mouth. Sometimes I am amazed at how many calories stuff has in it. Like my favorite brown rice with black beans, onions and corn. Super healthy, but I really have to watch my portions!

I have been an exerciser for years, and I truly believe that my body is used to exercise. I don't know if it actually is that helpful in losing weight...but I know doing workouts really does help in not gaining!
    MY only lapse on exercise was when I had to have my left knee replaced TWICE! (the first surgery wasn't successful, so 3 months later I was back getting a new knee). Lots of rehab and lots of encouragement and courage got me back to working out. It has been hard, but I vow to be active! Currently I row (on the water) typically 4 times a week, and try to get in at least one bike ride and swim laps at least once during the week. The bad thing, is I don't really strength train (except picking up the heavy rowing shell and schlepping from the boathouse to the water and back when done).

So, I'm not really asking anything from anyone...but it would be fun to have some "mature women" for supportive friends out there! If you read this, I'd be open to discussion.....and would look forward to a chat. Thank you for taking the time to read my ponderings!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    63, new(ish) to MFP and definitely new to a structured approach to weight control. I *will* achieve my goal of getting back to the weight at which I was comfortable (78-80Kg). BMI cals suggests a value (56.7 - 76.6 kg) that, for me, would be seriously to slightly underweight.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This body is 62 and can not always keep up with what its much younger brain wants it to do.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This body is 62 and can not always keep up with what its much younger brain wants it to do.

I'm 60. I started New Rules of Lifting for Women and oh boy! My head keeps saying "you should be able to ....." and my old bod keeps resisting. That said, last night, I deadlifted 110 pounds for 2 sets of 10! Talk about a coup! It's been very slow but also very steady for me, which in the long run is better than too fast and quit!

Glad to see you all here!
  • Mamasota
    Options
    Lots of us out here ---- you might like to join the Senior Golden Sneakers group.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and looking forward to achieving my goal. I think I have done every diet plan that has ever been invented. My youngest daughter told me that she wanted me to be as healthy as possible so I will be around. I am motivated and not giving up.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 (almost) and I've seen posts by people my age talking about throwing in the towel. Really?! :noway: I'm hoping to look good from here into my 60s and beyond. Thanks for the inspiration!!
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    I am 66. I feel so much better. Two years ago this month I was 50 pounds heavier. I lost 40 last year,regained some and now got back on track in April and down to 50 lost.
    I hurt my "good" knee so I havent lost any weight in the past 10 days but I am maintaining. You can do it.

And it is not a diet one needs--It is a new lifestyle.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 and back on weight loss again, I know I can do it because I went down to 11st 7 [161] from over 18st [252] in 2005 /2006 but foolishly let it all creep back on over the last 5 years, no fool like an old fool as they say :laugh:

Now going round again,

Nice to see someone else appreciates Marmite, yes Geoff I mean you
  • mcrower
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great and very motivating posts.
  • mcrower
    Options
    Thanks, I will check out the Golden Sneakers group :-)