Your engagement ring/wedding set

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband picked out and bought my engagement ring on his own and surprised me with a sunset proposal on a mountaintop. Very romantic. I wouldn't have it any other way. Our wedding rings were actually his parents' wedding rings. I'm not one of those girls who is big on bling and getting my way in every detail, so no need for me to be there picking things out. It was his gift to give, wasn't it? :heart:
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not getting engaged. At least I don't think. But I was wondering...

Did you and your SO go together to pick out an engagement ring? Did you just pop into a store together and window shopped? Or did you go and pick one out and he proposed in the store?

Did you leave subtle man hints (IE: Cut out pictures, sent him pictures, drew your ring out for him..)

Or are you the eternal romantic "I'll love whatever you get me because it's from you."

Discuss. I wanna know.

He knew I liked black diamonds and old looking things. My engagement was a complete surprise. He picked out the ring which was a black diamond in an antique looking setting. To be fair, his mom apparently helped him shop. My mother in law is a lot like me so she knew my style.

We picked our wedding bands out together. They don’t match each other. Mine matches my engagement ring. His is a plain white gold band.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My husband took his buddy, who happened to be my ex-bf to pick out my engagement ring. The woman at the store kept trying to up-sell to something fancier. While my husband tried to explain that I liked simple things, his buddy had to turn away because his whole body was shaking--he was trying so hard not to laugh as the woman kept saying "all the ladies really love this one," about a ring I would have hated.
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not getting engaged. At least I don't think. But I was wondering...

Did you and your SO go together to pick out an engagement ring? Did you just pop into a store together and window shopped? Or did you go and pick one out and he proposed in the store?

Did you leave subtle man hints (IE: Cut out pictures, sent him pictures, drew your ring out for him..)

Or are you the eternal romantic "I'll love whatever you get me because it's from you."

Discuss. I wanna know.

He knew exactly what I wanted for a ring and didn't get it for me. He gave me his grandmother's set, which I actually loved the engagement ring and it's entirely different from what I thought I wanted. I'm not going to wear the band that came with it though, it just doesn't do it for me.

My E ring is on an ultrathin yellow gold band (I never ever thought I'd do yellow, but I ended up replacign the band to fit me right, and still staying with yellow!!) and the wedding band I ended up picking out is a rose gold with small diamonds (the colors are actually really similar so I wonder exactly what was going on with my e ring band when they did it... ) he was there when we picke dout the weddign band, from Zales, we jsut dropped in on a whim because I like looking at shiny things. Never thought I'd get my band from a Zales, we had been lookign for custom designers for our bands!

The proposal happened when I actually wasn't expecting it and the band of the ring was so huge and worn down that we had to have it totally replaced.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    He was going to buy a very inexpensive one because we didnt have the money for a super nice one. He showed his mom the ones he was looking at and then she said she had a very nice diamond ring she inherited and offered it to him! It is beautiful...and something we could have never afforded. He went and put it in a new band though :)

My brother did something similar for my sister in law. My grandfather had bought my grandmother a new set for one of their anniversaries years ago, so she had her original set just lying in her jewelry box. My brother had confided in her that he wanted to propose, but he didn't have the money to buy a ring, so she gave him her old set. He proposed on Valentine's Day 2011, and they got married this past April. They kept the original setting, but had it plated in white gold (the original was yellow gold) because they wanted it to match his wedding band.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Did you and your SO go together to pick out an engagement ring?

Yep. One day my ex asked me if I wanted to go look at rings. So we did.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    My SO and I know we're getting married, though an official proposal hasn't been made. Our male roommate has graciously volunteered to take me shopping and help me pick out the exact ring I want and then take my SO to go get it. All that being said, I have a very specific idea of what I want, I'm allergic to gold (cry me a river - platinum baby!), and I don't want a ginormous ostentatious rock. Not my personality. My SO says, pick out what you want. He'd be happy to forgo the ring altogether and head down to the JP's office. I'm the one pushing for a "planned elopement" because I know he'll appreciate the fuss once we're there.
  • knw32183
    Options
    Got married in October wiith cheap bands I ordered of Amazon. Finally in July we got the wedding set I had been wanting forever, from WalMart with the change he'd been saving and the money he'd saved since quitting smoking. I wore it out of the store and spent 2 hours trying to take a nice pic of it for my facebook:happy: We're less than a month from our first anniversary.
  • kristothae
    Options
    Mine picked out my ring and completely blindsided me with a proposal. The ring he picked is a perfect fit for my personality and honestly would've been what I would've picked. We did agree to pick out the wedding bands together though so they will match :)
  • My now Ex-Husband got the Ring, walked in the Front Door, tossed The Box and Ring in My Lap and said, "I guess You have a Wedding to plan now..."

He's an EX for a Reason... >.<
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Well, as unromantic as this sounds....

I was managing a jewelery store at the time (already engaged, saving for a ring) when a ring came in that I FELL IN LOVE with, I told him about it he came a looked and we liked it. To get my discount(note jewlery is marked up over 400% and I paid cost plus 10%) I had to submit a request and pay for it myself so that's how it was done. I would rather that then he pick out something i don't like at all!!

This how we do all gifts it seems, go buy it your self and I will wrap it :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We were young and my hubby had cancer (we were 19 yrs old and expecting our first child). We discussed things since he was told he only had two years to live. He surprised me with a ring and we got married when we were 20. We just celebrated 12 years this past July. Now we don't wear our wedding rings we have our names as a tat instead! Yes most people think we're stupid but it's perfect for us!
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BTW if you ever plan to sell the diamond, you have to get one that is certified by GIA, AGS, EGL. GIA and AGS are the best, EGL is a bit looser in their grading standards. The "certifications" by in house shops are basically worthless when buying and selling high end stones. you will not get your money back if you end up with one of those.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    My SO and I know we're getting married, though an official proposal hasn't been made. Our male roommate has graciously volunteered to take me shopping and help me pick out the exact ring I want and then take my SO to go get it. All that being said, I have a very specific idea of what I want, I'm allergic to gold (cry me a river - platinum baby!), and I don't want a ginormous ostentatious rock. Not my personality. My SO says, pick out what you want. He'd be happy to forgo the ring altogether and head down to the JP's office. I'm the one pushing for a "planned elopement" because I know he'll appreciate the fuss once we're there.

i don't understand the purpose of you going with someone else, only to have him go get it...why would you not just go with him?
  • EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend, are looking for rings together, and he knows what i like !
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    Well my first engagement ring was a 25 cent ring with 5 googley eyes and gold painted on the underside of the plastic. It was more of a promise ring as I waited a more real proposal. I would look at rings when we were in antique shops or other shops so he knew what I liked most. I later discovered that he had one picked out and drove well out of town to pick it up to propose to me. I was always confused by the ring shopping thing. I wanted to be ultimately surprised. I knew it was coming someday but I never knew what ring he would get or when it would happen, well, that is until his grandmother hinted at it the day before (it was Christmas and our half-anniversary was the 26th).
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My wife picked out her engagement ring herself - we pretty much knew we were getting married and had discussed it on several occasions, and when we were out at a store she found a nice inexpensive Opal ring, said "that would make a nice engagement ring when we are ready", told me her ring size, and shuffled off to another store leaving me in the jewelry shop. I bought it and didn't mention it for a few months, then popped the question on her.

We shopped together for our wedding rings later.

Both decisions were made based on the fact that such things are tokens to us, and we wanted to spend our money on things like establishing a household together and food. We had a similar approach to our wedding - we had a nice ceremony and spent some money on some things, but it was held at a local American Legion hall we rented on the cheap and I decorated it and set everything up the night before (that was my bachelor's party - setting up tables and sound equipment with a few friends).

We're just as happy having been able to start out with an down payment on a very small house in lieu of an expensive wedding and set of pricey rings.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    He picked out the engagement ring, which was a solitaire. We picked out the wedding band "together" (he came with after I had taken several trips by myself, he didn't really care) which was a wrap to which the solitaire ring is inserted. I picked out his ring by myself too, they don't match but they fit us each individually. He doesn't wear his much anyway.

ETA: I forgot to add that I bought my own engagement ring and both our wedding bands because he was broke and had terrible credit! He's never living that one down. I would have accepted the "I'm broke and all I can afford is this gumball ring" if he didn't spend his money on stupid **** instead of saving it.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    BTW if you ever plan to sell the diamond, you have to get one that is certified by GIA, AGS, EGL. GIA and AGS are the best, EGL is a bit looser in their grading standards. The "certifications" by in house shops are basically worthless when buying and selling high end stones. you will not get your money back if you end up with one of those.

hmmm, I don't think I would be "planning" on selling the engagment ring...
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    We were dirt poor when we got together (I was 19 at the time, and he was 24). We had talked about getting married, but I told him I didn't need an engagement ring because we couldn't afford it. One day we were in a local pawn shop so his buddy could look at guitars. I was looking in the jewery cases and tried on a couple of rings while the guys were on the other side of the store doing their thing. There was a marquis-cut solitaire I really liked, and I tried it on twice. I loved that it fit perfectly. We left the pawn shop a little later, and I didn't think another thing about it. A couple months later on his birthday, my husband got down on one knee while we were out to dinner with our friends. He said all he wanted for his birthday was me - forever, and asked me to marry him. Turns out he had gotten a bonus from work I didn't know about and decided to buy me a ring with it. That day we went to the pawn shop he and his buddy took me home, then went back. They asked the woman if she knew which ring(s) I liked, and she said she thought I had liked the marquis and showed it to them. My husband bought it, and said he worried for weeks if he had the right one or not. Luckily he did, lol. Our bands were cheap simple gold bands from Wal-Mart. My original band was a size 13. It resides in my jewelry box. After I lost a bunch of weight (pre-mfp) I got another simple band and had my engagement ring re-sized. This year for our 15th anniversary I got a beautiful wrap (which he picked out) to go with my engagement ring.