Your engagement ring/wedding set

Options

Replies

• BeautifulEnctr
    Options
    We did shop together. I was even there when he bought it. I just didn't know when I was going to get it.
  • vbrent07
    Options
    My husband went with his best friend to pick it out. They did a great job! Even though I knew it was going to happen eventually because we have been together for so long, my engagement was a surprise so he didn't ask me to go with. Honestly I would have been happy with a cheaper ring and he gave me the option to go pick a different one out but once I got it, I wasn't going to send it back :)
  • HalfFullMe
    HalfFullMe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I gave my fiance ideas of what I liked and then I just hoped for the best. He did great though and I have an engagement ring that I absolutely love. Hoping to get married in the first half of next year.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just told my now Hubby that I didn't like big rings/jewels. So when we were out and about he would have me look at rings from time to time. But when the time came he went and picked it out himself. I would suggest a bridal set. I love my engagement ring but the wedding band we had made I ended up being allergic to - place is out of business now but apparently it is not all gold a lot of different metals used and I can't we it. Now we can't find a wedding band to match the original diamond:laugh: No big though - we keep a look out and sooner or later we will find one.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    He asked me what I liked. I said "white gold and three stone". We went shopping together. He picked out several and had me try them on to see how they looked and if I liked it. He made the final decision based on the ones I liked and then he picked out a simple white gold and diamond band. He surprised me a few days later as we were starting to pull out of his parents driveway. Been in love with the man since our first date....but to answer your question I guess I did pick it out.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    My BF and I were just looking at rings a couple of months ago and he said he felt weird taking me ring shopping. He was under the assumption that the guy always picked the ring out himself. I'm actually glad he took me, because I'm not a huge fan of diamonds and would prefer a different gem. I was able to give him an idea of what I like. :)

As far as my previous marriage goes, my ex-husband picked out the engagement and wedding rings himself.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My husband couldn't afford a ring when he proposed to me or when we got married. He got me a "temp" ring that we picked out together before he left for basic training about 6 months after our wedding. We are finally having our reception in November and he wants to try and get me the ring I want by then, but it will probably be another 6 months to a year. So to answer, I have the ring picked out, but I just don't have it yet.

We did it this way because his mom taught him that it isn't a proper wedding ring if you spend less than 10 grand on it...O.O No way! Even if we had that sort of money, it would be too big for my finger and I definitely enjoy understated jewelry. The one I want is half karat pear diamond with a simple platinum band and plain platinum wedding band. Costs 2100 and I think that is a bit ridiculous, but what can you do? I could cut down the price with white gold instead, but he won't let me =/
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Letsee!

First engagement ring was picked out by him and I really loved it because he understood my style. My only minor complaint was that the stone was a little small for my hand (it was seriously dwarfed), but that was such a non-issue in the grand scheme of things and I really did love the ring. He had some personal issues and I broke up with him before any wedding planning took place.

Second one asked what kind of ring I wanted. I told him and he ignored everything. :huh: WHY I married him is beyond me. I was young and stupid.

My current man and I have been together fro 10 years and we don't plan on marrying. IF we do, there will be tattooings and Vegas elopements. :bigsmile:
  • Calliesmom1
    Options
    My husband got my engagement ring from a pawn shop. We had only been dating like a week. He kept it locked up for months. Then one day he sent me to sonic. And when i came back with the food he was on one knee. FREAKED ME OUT. but i said yes and here we are. :)
  • lane823
    Options
    He picked out a solitare diamond engagement ring all by himself. He knew that I had simple taste in jewelry. My first husband left me on Christmas Eve. So when my hubby proposed, he proposed on Christmas Eve and said, "Brian took your Christmas away. I want to give it back. Will you marry me?" I had no idea this was coming! It was wonderful!! Then, for my wedding band, I had a dream as to what it looked like and that's what we did. We have matching gold bands and they cut the bottom part of my engagemnet ring off and placed it over the wide part of the wedding band. I wouldn't ever want anything different. When I was 8 months pregnant and could no longer wear my ring, our home was broken into and the little sh*ts stole my ring. When my hubby bought me a new one, he had them make it exactly as it was. I cherish my ring!
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My hubby was very honest in telling me that he knew nothing about jewelry, much less the three C's of diamond shopping so we decided to go shop together. He had me try on many different rings. He picked my brain, had the store write down my favorites, and then he "surprised" me with the one that he ultimately chose. If you and your SO are talking about engagement, feel him out, see if he drops hints about the ring shopping. My husband had hoped that I would help him pick out the ring, but was afraid to ask me to go with him initially because he thought it would be less romantic that way. No matter how he finally "pops" the question, it will still be a surprise and VERY romantic!! Good luck!
  • hilly215
    hilly215 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Let me preface with: I'm not normal. :laugh:

He wanted me to have a big honkin diamond. I didn't want that at all, for 2 reasons. 1) I always wanted a ring that would incorporate both of our birthstones (mine, the amethyst, his, the diamond). and 2) I didn't want him to spend a boatload of money on my ring that we'd be paying off for the rest of our lives.

So, I kept feeding my best friend (who also happens to be my fiance's boss :tongue: ) pictures and descriptions of exactly what I wanted. He was under strict orders to take her with him when the time came. And he did. She picked out the ring (which he still makes me tell everyone 2 months later that he hates it....he feels like it's cheap). It's EXACTLY what I wanted. A gorgeous amethyst, cushion cut, with diamonds surrounding it, in white gold. It's stunning and absolutely me.

I know he hates the ring, but he bought it for me anyways because he knew I'd love it. I don't think it's cheap. I think it means more because it is our birthstones. :heart: :heart:
  • Kim28NASHVILLE
    Kim28NASHVILLE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not getting engaged. At least I don't think. But I was wondering...

Did you and your SO go together to pick out an engagement ring? Did you just pop into a store together and window shopped? Or did you go and pick one out and he proposed in the store?

Did you leave subtle man hints (IE: Cut out pictures, sent him pictures, drew your ring out for him..)

Or are you the eternal romantic "I'll love whatever you get me because it's from you."

Discuss. I wanna know.

I worked for a Jewelry Store for 3 years and it was sooo funny how women would come in to sneek a peek at our wedding sets. For my customers, I would always tell them to show me their top 3 rings and then to tell their significant other to come in and ask for me, and I would lead them in the right direction! LOL Although some women were direct with their mate and came in and took a picture with the ring on their finger and said: "This is what I want, don't come home with nothing other than this"!

When My husband and I were talking about getting engaged he asked what kind of diamonds I like etc, and I let him do the rest. Before we got married, I started working for the jewelry store and working around diamonds which caused my views on what I thought I liked to change. To make a long story short, I have my engagement solitaire on my right hand, and my wedding set on my left; that way I still wear my engagement ring he picked out, and the wedding set we both picked out together. & Everyone's happy! LOL
  • MrsAnderson85
    Options
    My husband and I went to a couple jewelry stores, (mainly at my prompting :P) and looked at styles. I showed him what I liked and then proceeded to talk about the details of exactly what kind of ring I liked until he proposed, lol. When he proposed almost a half a year later, he ended up picking out the perfect set, which was better than what I would have expected and it included all of the details I had always loved and it was a surprise because it was not one I had seen before!

However, back in the day, the old tradition was the groom would pick out several styles at the jewelry store, bring in the bride, propose and she would select one from the choices he made available to her.

I actually love both ways!
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    I picked mine out, he bought it and we went up to Estes Park for a beautiful day trip where he proposed. It was awesome. Awwww...great memories... :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • abrewer563
    Options
    I sent mine pictures of stuff I liked (for over a year) he ended up getting the one he thought was for me. It is different than any of the pictures I sent him, but it's perfect. :) He picked it out all by himself which makes it that much more special. We just got engaged in July so I'm still all giddy about it.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Married and still waiting on my engagement ring :grumble:
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We went and bought plain gold matching bands the weekend before the wedding. No diamond. No engagement ring. We were young and poor.

He's given me a couple of diamonds in the 26 years since then. But you know what? I have lost enough weight that I can finally, once again, wear that plain gold band that he gave me on the day we got married and I wear it 24 hours a day 7 days a week now. I only wear the pretty diamonds when we're going "out"
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    My husband picked it out and surprised me :) He did a great job!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    She did not like the first one I picked out...something about her being worth more than a Cracker Jack prize. So we went to Jared together and umpteen gazillion pennies later, she is a happy girl.