Options

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

$60 for the judge
    $30 for the rings
    $10 for the dollar menu at mcdonalds after:laugh:

Sounds like ours, 25 for the justice of the peace, 45 i think for the marriage license, my rings were from my grandmother, I paid 30 for his ring, and I paid like 20 for my dress I wore.

edit: oh and we did have a good dinner out that night, probably cost more than everything else LOL
  • kellyo15
    Options
    I wanted him to pick out the engagement ring!! My only request was that it be a surprise and that he pick it out.

In my opinion, it's more meaningful that way. If he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, he should at least know me well enough to pick out a ring that suits me. Plus, after all this time (6 years together at that point, 8 by now) I knew he has excellent taste in jewellery and wasn't worried about it at all because I knew I'd love anything he would pick out.

I just wanted it to be like this: We decide to get married, he picks out a ring, I wear it. Not: We decide to get married, I pick out a ring, he pays for it, I wear it. But that's just us and I think we were more old school about it than most :) To each their own! I did pick out the wedding band, much to his relief!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I knew it was around the time, I sent him a picture of what I liked and was like, "Here! Just for future reference." And I also told him to ask my best friend what I liked, because she knew. :D
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I left him hints. I would say...oo I like that ring, isn't it pretty. I think he got the idea. :)

This is what I plan to do if my bf and I get serious enough where I think he's about to propose. I really want to the proposal to be a complete surprise, but of course I want to love the ring! As much as I love him, I'm a bit picky and I don't think I could just "love anything as long as it's from him."
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    We'd talked for a while about getting engaged, but never bothered getting rings, or making things "official". One day, we were randomly walking around a shop, and I said I liked the look of a ring as we went past the counter. So he stopped, turned round, and bought it.
    It fit perfectly :D
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I had no idea he was about to ask me. The diamond was actually his mothers, so it means a lot to us.

He hopes that he'll be able to afford a better set closer to our actually wedding.. but I really like it!! :)

(We just got engaged about a month ago..) :heart:

620349_10102306756164090_435780293_o.jpg

Edit: I don't know why my pic isn't working but it should still work on my blog post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JenaeSmith/view/our-engagement-406918
  • holly2234
    Options
    We picked it together. As much as i love it, i reckon an upgrade is in order for one of our anniversaries! A nice matching engagement and wedding band in (quite a few!) years. My wedding band is slowly getting looser and my engagement ring hasnt fit since before we even got married. So a matching set in the same size that i can wear together will be nice since the ones i have are about 3-4 sizes apart. He picked out my wedding band by himself. He did a great job!

My husband will probably need a new one too the rate he is going. His cant be adjusted either so i guess its upgrades all around. We picked his together too.
  • tjones0927
    tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My mom helped my guy find my engagement ring since she knew exactly what I wanted :)
  • BrittanyKxo
    Options
    We went ring shopping together :) & I LOVE my ring!
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    we got married and then i got rings that were 12 bucks and very basic (silver band) one day i hope to get somethign a little more pretty and special.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    We went shopping for the engagement ring together; we went to an antique shop I love in Essex that carries jewelry. I wanted something from the early 1900's. We looked at several and then WHAM! the right ring caught my eye. The owner of the shop handed it to him, he put it on my finger, and it fit perfectly... our eyes locked and we both saw the same look: this is it.

With the wedding band, I had to hunt around to find one that matched; I knew what I wanted and was lucky enough to find it online; a dealer in Florida sent me the ring overnight and we had 24 hours to decide. We opened the package together, and again, it fit, it was exactly what I was looking for, and we both said "Perfect!"

He did surprise me with the proposal... the ring was on layaway. He snuck out to the shop and picked it up without me knowing, weeks before I expected him to be able to pick it up. It's not the most expensive set in the world, far from it. But it's just perfect for me, and it is simply gorgeous; they don't make 'em like this anymore! There are five mine-cut diamonds in my wedding band; the ring is estimated at 100 years old. The engagement ring is circa 1920, an "illusion" setting, with one .6 carat brilliant cut round diamond supported by four smaller diamonds in a raised square, and then two other diamonds on each side, set into a floral motif.
  • elephas_vegan
    Options
    He picked out the engagement ring- and I picked out the wedding set (interlocking rings).
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    No. I'm not getting engaged. At least I don't think. But I was wondering...

Did you and your SO go together to pick out an engagement ring? Did you just pop into a store together and window shopped? Or did you go and pick one out and he proposed in the store?

Did you leave subtle man hints (IE: Cut out pictures, sent him pictures, drew your ring out for him..)

Or are you the eternal romantic "I'll love whatever you get me because it's from you."

Discuss. I wanna know.

I told him long before we even talked about engagement that I didn't like diamonds, but I loved sapphires. He bought me some jewelry from time to time, so it was important to know.

He chose the engagement ring on his own. It came with a wedding band. I'm not a "I'll love whatever you get me" person, but I did love it, because he really knew me and got what I would have picked out.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I knew he was going to propose, so I picked out my top 5 in his budget. I wanted something that looked vintage, so he got me this one with aquamarine and diamonds. (Not his actual wedding band, just a temp one)
    IMG_2483.jpg
  • AlliecoreXX
    AlliecoreXX Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My ex husband never proposed to me, nor did he ever buy me an engagement ring. (I don't miss him either, BTW) ;)

If I'm ever lucky enough to be proposed to by the SO in my life, I don't want to have any idea what the ring is going to be like. I hugely admire a man who can do all that on his own. I'm not materialistic, and I want it to be something that is completely from him, and that will be a product of his taste and his impressions of me. I want to see HIS personality shine through when I look at my finger. :)
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I asked my husband to marry me.. SO I went and picked out one for myself.. year later he went without me and picked a wedding set out and re-proposed. He said that even though he said yes and he would tell people we were engaged. He didn't consider it official until he asked me.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    we hit a silver store in a mall on our way to Vegas. then picked out real ones together later
  • kbutlerrvt
    Options
    I had moved from NH to NC with my boyfriend at the time so we had talked about our future and there would be a wedding. He had asked for what I wanted as far as gold and setting. Due to the fact that I am a vet tech, I needed a setting that allowed me to put gloves on and off all day without trouble. He went with it and I absolutely LOVE it. He proposed 15 months ago and we are getting married in 7 months. When we go to buy our bands, we are each picking out our own but we are going together.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I picked it out on Etsy. Showed it to him. He seemed to like it well enough. He pretty much told me the rings were for me only... he could give a rip. And he meant it. But he likes them now and he's glad we got them. They're really beautiful...

il_570xN285853127.jpg

il_570xN229972148.jpg

This is the matching anniversary ring we might get on one of our anniversaries (if she's still making them, they are custom made)...

il_570xN257351115.jpg

...Can you tell I'm still a newlywed? Couldn't resist posting the pics...
  • jthomasaz
    jthomasaz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in a long distance romance so marriage was something that needed to be talked about early so neither wasted their time. So I let it be known that two years is the cut off point, if he didn't propose by then, we both need to move on. So about a year after we had been dating, and had discussed marriage, he took me to the store to shop. So of course then every holiday and big romantic getaway I expected the ring...didn't happen. He finally proposed, a little over two years, in front of our families at Thanksgiving dinner. Sorry, long story short, we shopped together and then he went back and purchased what I had chosen. He specifically wanted me to choose something because he wanted me to have what I wanted, not what HE thought I wanted.