Calling all runners!

Options

Replies

• chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ok so why do I feel nervous about going for my run in about 30 mins?! I think it may be cause I'm thinking "what if I can't even do as much as I did 2 days ago and what if the soreness gets worse while I'm out there." I'm going for my run, there's no doubt about that and I am going to push myself to atleast do as much as I did 2 days ago. We'll see lol!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am probably repeating but c25k for sire's I completed it this summer and have already one 5k, have a 10k on Sept 30 and another 5k in October!
  • ashleyjoy80
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice! I just wanted to say great job!! Taking the leap into a new territory is tough, great job for deciding to do it!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Different stuff works for different people, what works best for me:

- Before run warm up is walking then faster walking and then running / jogging
    - No food before running, not too much water either (as I don't want to end up with toilet problem)
    - No food for at least 1 hour after workouts (running and strength), after workout food is usually 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs
    - Interval training such as couch to 5k made me a better runner
    - Also don't eat sweets in the afternoon/evening, they might make your stomach bloated in the morning (if you do morning runs)
    - Good music you can sing along too helps a LOT (even if you're not actually singing along)

EDIT: music added

I definitely agree with most of this! Except I usually have a green protein smoothie or a high protein snack.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    As others have said:
    *new running shoes from a running store - get fitted
    *C25K
    *don't forget strength training, especially your core (runners often have weak core muscles)

2 years ago I started with C25K and have completed a half and a full marathon. I have also had my fair share of injuries (stress fractures in both tibias). The most important thing to avoid injury is to LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and DON'T OVERTRAIN (<-my problem). Definitely take at least a day off between runs. Progress slowly.

As far as food, I usually run first thing in the morning and don't eat anything, unless it's a long (over 8 mile) run. For those, a slice of wheat toast with PB and sliced banana and half a cup of coffee is all I have.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k! I went from being a complete non-runner to being able to run a 5k without stopping! And I'm still going. I used to HATE running, probably because I always tried to do too much too soon, or because it was required in high school PE or whatever.

Now I look forward to my runs! Google the program, download an app if you've got a smart phone (I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs, worked great!) and go for it.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started running using the C25K program. I also found that it really helped to stretch before and after.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend couch to 5k. After doing that programme I really feel like a runner.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just keep running! Run, walk, run, walk....eventually your runs get longer and your walks get shorter. It gets easier and you will feel so strong!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I started running in march of this year..... Try intervals..... trust me it works.

I'm currently training for a half marathon. I'm running 2-3 days a week plus long group runs on Saturdays..... (and I'm doing strength training too)..... I make sure to get up at least 2-2.5 hours before to eat.... This way my food has time to digest/settle, and I can get the going to the bathroom part out of the way (not such a big deal if you're running on a treadmill or close to home and can go potty, but we're running a battlefield and there's no potty in sight other than woods which I don't want to use)..... I have been having oatmeal with protein powder and some canned pumpkin.... and an egg white scramble. It's not too heavy, it really sticks with me..... for the longer distances I've started using gu's after to help me not feel so exhausted and help replenish me.... they totally work. Will be incorporating gu into my runs as they get longer as well.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    - Shoes fitted properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - Get some leg strength by doing squats, lunges, leg lifts, and crunches. Avoid injuries!!!!!!!!!!
    - If you can't walk the distance, don't try to run it. Walk a mile, walk/run a mile, then move on when you have that.

If you can get to a mile, then I recommend C25K.

I eat a banana, cottage cheese or yogurt. About a 1/2 cup - oh, and coffee!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Ok so I just started running last night and I want to get some advice on becoming a runner and some good tips! I want to avoid shin splints and lower leg/foot pain. Also want to know what's the best snack to have before a run. I want to lose weight but I also want to build endurance. When I ran last night, well maybe I should call it walking with a small amount of jogging, I couldn't last long! I walked for 4 1/2 mins and then ran for about 30 seconds. Seriously.... 30 seconds is all I could run without feeling like I was going to drop! It took me about 4 mins to get my breathing under control! I was out of breath pretty much the whole time! I know that I am a beginner and that it's going to take some time to build up to running more but I was just wanting to get some tips on running and all. Also, I was wanting to know if there is any beginning runners group on here.

take it easy don't do more than a mile at first and I would sujest buying a heart rate monitor try keeping your heart rate in between your high and low zones and dont max out your heart rate more than once a week. If you do you will reach a point where nothing you do will help you get any faster. After 2 weeks try for 2 miles. Then add 1 mile after another 2 weeks. Never run more than 10 miles more than once a week. For a good book try getting Heart rate training for dumbies its a great book
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    also in Walmart over by the Icey Hot is a thing that looks a lot like deoderant It has ice cubes all over it buy that stick it in the freezer and rub it on your knees if they start to hurt. Oh forgot to mention try cross training you don't want to run back to back and DO WEIGHT training as well yes to runners is a nasty word but it really helps
  • chris1529
    Options
    Just finished my second day of this walk/run training. I pushed myself to do the same as I did 2 days ago and I got through it! It was tough and my lower legs hurt (in the back of my lower leg between my calf and ankle) BUT I did it! Thank you all for your kind words and advice! :)
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Just finished my second day of this walk/run training. I pushed myself to do the same as I did 2 days ago and I got through it! It was tough and my lower legs hurt (in the back of my lower leg between my calf and ankle) BUT I did it! Thank you all for your kind words and advice! :)

Congrats on starting out, be careful, you will get addicted.

Push yourself, but not so hard you injure yourself. Your pain is in your achilles tendon area. Not a big deal, but be sure to let it recover.

There are only 2 or 3 things that you really need to think about as a beginning runner.

1) Shoes, shoes and shoes
    2) Go slow, both in terms of pace and building distance (c25k is the right program for this), keeping it slow and building will get your improvements faster than you can imagine.
    3) Don't worry about running faster or further each and every time. As much as you want it to, it won't work that way anyhow, sometimes runs just suck. Enjoy each run for what it is as opposed to stressing about what you want it to be.

Eating strategies you don't really need to worry about just yet. You are not running far enough to need the fuel for the workout or to recover. Intervals and speedwork is also something that will help you, but only once you have an aerobic base, right now the slow steady building of that base should be your focus.
  • jynnantonnyk
    jynnantonnyk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Got real bad leg pain/shinsplints after week 1 of Couch to 5k but your post and all the replies here has encouraged me to do some exercises and have an ice bath so I can get out there and give it another shot today.

I never imagined in little over a week, I would be anxious to get back to running.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I may be the only person who was not impressed with the C25K program...I became bored with it really quick!

Apps the help me run:
    Sports Tracker
    Zombies, Run!

However, the BEST motivation I have had with my running over the last 18 months has been signing up for races! Since March of 2011, I have done 9 different 5K races and a 10K race. I am currently training for my first Spartan Sprint in Dec and my first half marathon in January! :bigsmile: Triple bonus motivation if you can find a race where everyone gets a finisher's medal! (check out my pictures...I love medals, haha)

Listen to your body while you are out there. You are already mentally in the game because you WANT to be running. What bothered me about the C25K program was following a machine's recommendation of when to run and when to walk. I didn't like that. I would hit the treadmill or the trails and I would walk/jog/run as I felt I wanted to. When I first began, I had to stop jogging after 30 seconds because I thought I was going to die.

I can now run for 30+ minutes :bigsmile: I follow interval training (walk/run/walk/jog/walk/run) to increase my endurance, much like the C25K program, but I decide when I walk/run/jog based on what my body is telling me.

So far, I am 100% injury free and I continue to make progress.

Oh, yea...and I've lost 30+ lbs in 6 months with it :wink:

Now what are you waiting for? Go sign up for a race! :tongue:

Edit: I wanted to also mention that I was 265 lbs for my first 5K and I walked a majority of it but I will never, EVER forget the feeling of crossing that finish line and having a medal placed over my head. It might just be my favorite moment of my entire life! Feel free to add me for support, motivation, and someone to be cheesy excited with as you progress in your running!
  • planetrunner
    Options
    However, the BEST motivation I have had with my running over the last 18 months has been signing up for races! Since March of 2011, I have done 9 different 5K races and a 10K race. I am currently training for my first Spartan Sprint in Dec and my first half marathon in January! :bigsmile: Triple bonus motivation if you can find a race where everyone gets a finisher's medal! (check out my pictures...I love medals, haha)

Right on! The Spartan races are a fabulous way to keep yourself motivated -- it's a well deserved finisher's medal :)
  • chris1529
    Options
    Got real bad leg pain/shinsplints after week 1 of Couch to 5k but your post and all the replies here has encouraged me to do some exercises and have an ice bath so I can get out there and give it another shot today.

I never imagined in little over a week, I would be anxious to get back to running.

I'm glad that it is encouraging you! :) I get bad leg pains too BUT what I noticed is that if I don't push myself too much or for too long and I give myself a day of rest inbetween, it helps. Stretching afterwards has helped some too. I hope it contuinues to help! I'm actually excited about being able to run and build up more endurance. This site is great cause there is some good motivation on here and advice! :)
  • chris1529
    Options
    I may be the only person who was not impressed with the C25K program...I became bored with it really quick!

Apps the help me run:
    Sports Tracker
    Zombies, Run!

Listen to your body while you are out there. You are already mentally in the game because you WANT to be running. What bothered me about the C25K program was following a machine's recommendation of when to run and when to walk. I didn't like that. I would hit the treadmill or the trails and I would walk/jog/run as I felt I wanted to. When I first began, I had to stop jogging after 30 seconds because I thought I was going to die.

I can now run for 30+ minutes :bigsmile: I follow interval training (walk/run/walk/jog/walk/run) to increase my endurance, much like the C25K program, but I decide when I walk/run/jog based on what my body is telling me.

So far, I am 100% injury free and I continue to make progress.

Oh, yea...and I've lost 30+ lbs in 6 months with it :wink:

Now what are you waiting for? Go sign up for a race! :tongue:

Edit: I wanted to also mention that I was 265 lbs for my first 5K and I walked a majority of it but I will never, EVER forget the feeling of crossing that finish line and having a medal placed over my head. It might just be my favorite moment of my entire life! Feel free to add me for support, motivation, and someone to be cheesy excited with as you progress in your running!

Girl you are making me want to do races now lol! :) I can't wait to be able to run for 30+ mins without stopping!