Well that was rather rude !!!

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So, does that mean you're only willing to do good things if people are polite afterwards? Anybody can do that. It takes a stronger person to love unconditionally and not care about the response.

Lol what? No. All she said is that she was shocked that she didn't get a thank you. Are you saying that you wouldn't be shocked if you ran after somebodies car to help them in some way or another and they didn't thank you?
    It's called Manors.

i wouldn't be shocked at all. Not in the current world we live in.

Fair enough, if you've lost your faith in humanity then there is no saving you. But please don't imply that people are weak for expecting a simple thank you. You can be the most selfless person on the planet but manors are manors.

Just because someone says that you should do for others WITHOUT expecting anything in return does not show a loss of faith in humanity.

We should NEVER do anything and expect something in return. To me that is just rude.

And for the record, it is MANNERS, not MANORS.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was not her bag, and she didn't want to hang about when the owner came out and saw you helping her steal it.
    Did you actually think?

did i actually think ? what sort of question is that ? christ im in a lose lose sitaution here arent i !! if i give her bag back i could be helping her steal it and if i dont give her it back some women has just lost her purse and contents of her bag !! tell me what you would have done ? oh to be perfect

Welcome to the MFP forum, anything you say will be shredded to bits. :ohwell:

SO TRUE!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Maybe her fish just died and she was mourning. Not everyone is rainbows and butterflies all day, every day.

Not an acceptable excuse in my view. No matter how bad her day was, a simple thank you was in order.

Such an entitled mentality. I'll only do for you if you do for me.

Whatever... A bit judgmental though, aren't you? I never said I wouldn't do for someone else if they didn't do for me. I have done quite a few things for people completely anonymously. That does not mean it is acceptable for others to lack simple courtesy and manners.

Well, it's not anonymous now. Good for you. We all do it. I just don't expect anything in return and I certainly don't get angry if they don't thank me.

Is it cold all the way up there on that high, high horse of yours??
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So, does that mean you're only willing to do good things if people are polite afterwards? Anybody can do that. It takes a stronger person to love unconditionally and not care about the response.

Very true and something that people need to be reminded of.

Remember to be nice to people as you do not know what someone else is going through. We are ALL fighting some type of battle.

Interesting post, considering the source ...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

This... as well as the post below it. There's no idea of knowing that she might've just received a horrible phone call in the minutes before. Let me say thank you on her behalf, because I know that there has to be some heck of a crisis in my bubble for me to do something like that.

Please don't stop doing nice things because you didn't get acknowledged this one good deed. Set an example. Clearly, you were raised to know to do the right thing. Keep doing them simply for the fact that they're the right things to do. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I hate when stuff like that happens, but she may have just been so flustered she couldn't think of anything to say!
  • rwlawrie
    Options
    A lot of people are centered soley on their own lives and needs. There is a special place in heaven for giving people like you. Don't change. :-)
  • esmecgg
    Options
    I suppose you should just be glad she didn't accuse you of stealing it!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Karma is BS... manners are not.

The poster is quite right. I'd still have done it but I would be annoyed, I would have given her the finger at the very least...

Wow, what if the woman was just told that she or a very close family member was terminally ill and only had a short time to live.

Way to be a humanitarian to others.

We should ALWAYS be good stewards in our communities and around the world.

Shame on the way you all think.

Muhammed Ali said it best............"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."
  • mellym25
    Options
    This little debate has thoroughly amused me. :P I reckon the woman was rude but I wouldn't let it nark you too much :) And i certainly wouldn't let it stop you helping somebody out again. She probably forgot with being so flustered and might regret it now.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    i would have flipped her the bird for her rudeness.

That would have gotten more of a reaction.

A friend of mine was telling me about his neighbor the other day, when he first bought his house and moved in he would wave at his neighbor every day when the guy would drive by to go home. Every day he'd wave and nada. So after about 6 months or so he just got fed up and flipped him the bird. The guy stopped and said "what was that for" all pissy. My friend said 'for 6 months I have been waving hello being neighborly and didn't get a response, I figured this might get one" :laugh:
  • HRCephei
    HRCephei Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Maybe her fish just died and she was mourning. Not everyone is rainbows and butterflies all day, every day.

Not an acceptable excuse in my view. No matter how bad her day was, a simple thank you was in order.

Whatever... A bit judgmental though, aren't you? I never said I wouldn't do for someone else if they didn't do for me. I have done quite a few things for people completely anonymously. That does not mean it is acceptable for others to lack simple courtesy and manners.

Well, it's not anonymous now. Good for you. We all do it. I just don't expect anything in return and I certainly don't get angry if they don't thank me.

You tell me. We're all up here on the same horse with one thing or another. In fact, your very reply puts you up here too. That's the irony of it all.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Very true and something that people need to be reminded of.

Remember to be nice to people as you do not know what someone else is going through. We are ALL fighting some type of battle.

Interesting post, considering the source ...

I don't know what you are trying to imply, but you don't know me so don't place an ill judgement on someone.

When I speak, I am a very blunt and honest person, but that doesn't mean that I don't do for others and I always do for people regardless if they say thank you or not.

Just this morning I paid for the persons' order behind me at Star bucks. All I got was a coffee and they got a pastry and coffee, but I paid for it in hopes that they would pay it forward to someone else in the near future.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me go

Zjwo4.gif
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    Manners are important.

I once thanked a thief for returning my handbag to me that he had stolen (minus the money I had in it of course). I appreciated that I didn't have to replace all my ID's. It was worth losing the entire paycheck I had just cashed (not). But I thanked him none the less.

For those of you who have said you would have flashed the bird or humilitated the woman by reminding her to say thank you. You are not her mother so you have no right to remind her of her manners and two wrongs have never made a right.
  • phoenixsmommy
    phoenixsmommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    no matter what a thank you is basic common decency. she's right. but there are times when you're life is so chaotic or crappy that it slips your mind. Give her the benefit of the doubt that it was an accident, and hope for better behavior from others in the future. Your actions weren't looking for a thank you, they were just gut - courtesy. There's nothing wrong with wanting courtesy in return.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me go

Zjwo4.gif

haha! I love Burt in the back. So funny!
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

You tell me. We're all up here on the same horse with one thing or another. In fact, your very reply puts you up here too. That's the irony of it all.

haha touche.... good thing I have a sweater! I have an extra one if you need to borrow it!
  • minisumo
    minisumo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've been raised to be polite and well-mannered but I've experienced that many people have either 'forgotten' the basics or were never taught them in the first place (or possibly they just don't give a crap). Either way it's sad but very typical of the time we live in. I don't think it comment-worthy either - apologies to the OP, but it's just such a typical sight these days that nothing surprises me.

Whatever, it will never stop me from being polite - either holding a door open or thanking the person who does (regardless of whether I'm having a bad day or not). Personally I think the worst are those who trivialise politeness and good manners - really, what the hell is wrong with saying thank you?

P.S. I don't have a horse, high or otherwise. I do have a very small dog if that helps...
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I will say when I was a new mom and sleep deprived and wandering around in a zombie state I am sure there are many moments when I should have been much more polite and wasn't. Some times I recognized (too late to remedy it to the person being polite) but I wonder how many times someone thought "wow, that wench was rude and needs to brush her hair" :laugh:

You have every right to vent but try to remember there have probably been moments were you are distracted or self absorbed in something and may not have noticed and acknowledged a good deed being done for you. :flowerforyou: