You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• William0090
    Options
    Oh! You totally can, even recent scientific studies show that exercising one leg and not the other will increase oxygen [blood] flow to that one leg significantly compared to the rest of the body! Burning fat more rapidly in that one part. Spot reduction is plausible,but it is always good to do cardio too. :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh! You totally can, even recent scientific studies show that exercising one leg and not the other will increase oxygen [blood] flow to that one leg significantly compared to the rest of the body! Burning fat more rapidly in that one part. Spot reduction is plausible,but it is always good to do cardio too. :D

Please cite these scientific sources (unless it's the one already mentioned in this thread and shown a waste of time to attempt)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No. Increased blood flow =/= fat burning in that area.

I will refer you to the case I already talked about with tennis players and dominant vs. non dominant arm fat. Hint- they're the same.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I may get a lot of crap for this, but I am so tired of people saying you cannot spot reduce.
    When someone asks, how can I lose inches off my stomach or asks for good arm exercises, please do not response "you cannot spot reduce".
    Weight training and programs like the 30 Day Shred really do help you "spot reduce", You can lose inches in particular spots by doing particular exercises. Otherwise, why to we kill ourselves with push ups and crunches? It is because they work.
    I have done 30 Day Shred several times and a lot of inches in places that were focuses on during the workouts.
    Another example, if I only weight train with my arms and not my legs, I will see a big difference in my arm "spots" lol, and not my legs.
    There is hope! You just have to work for it!

Just because you happened to lose fat from the area you were working, does not make it spot reduction. To really see if you can truly "spot reduce" gain the weight back and then start working a totally different part of your body. I'd be willing to bet the same regions that "spot reduced" before will spot reduce again with the totally new workout.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    1315965969550.gif
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Just to let everyone know obesity, a diet high in salt, smoking, and lack of physical activity can also contribute to higher blood flow. Get on one of those band wagons and your weight problems well be solved!</sarcasm>
  • dosmundos
    Options
    bump
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

What your referring to is the building of muscle and changes to muscle fibers in those areas. You aren't actually necessarily reducing your fat content in those areas.

This. Spot reduction is not possible. What you are noticing is a gain of muscle in a particular area which causes the illusion of reduction through tonality.

You also may just notice the reduction more in one particular area, but fat was lost all throughout the body...
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You CAN spot reduce with my miracle Unicorn Cream. It's $150 for a bottle of it. PM me if you are interested.

This statement has not been verified by the FDA. :wink:

Yay! Unicorns are pretty. :)

Oh, yeah, and spot reduce? No. Overall fat loss and toning, yep :)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am making my first post due to the utter insanity of this topic. The very definition of "spot reduce" goes against every single known biological fact and study having to do with body composition and how the body accumulates/stores fat and how one rids themselves of "fat". Please someone stop this insanity. ;)

:laugh: :drinker:
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    NOT possible.

That is why skinny women get silicon implants! Because you cannot loose fat from your bum and keep it on your boobs.

Simple.
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It ain't that serious, people. lol

Let everyone research this for themselves and leave it.
  • Cyndist1
    Cyndist1 Posts: 21
    Options
    So I guess you can say that since you can spot reduce I can spot reduce my abs and look great in that area but still have thunder thighs, huge hips and what ever part you don't work. Wouldn't you look oddly proportioned?
    Very interesting. And sorry if someone all ready replied with this. I was too lazy to read all the posts.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Herp derp I want to troll the message boards, cardio kills your gains, yes you can spot reduce, squats are bad for your knees, deadlifts cause gyno.

Get a life OP
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Herp derp I want to troll the message boards, cardio kills your gains, yes you can spot reduce, squats are bad for your knees, deadlifts cause gyno.

Get a life OP

You can get pregnant from cardio? OMG, why has noone alerted the papers! (I have no idea what gyno is!)
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    "gyno" or gynecomastia is when males start producing breast tissue. Usually because they didn't cycle their steroids correctly.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.

It's the quality of Trainer. Some trainers have done extensive research, completed degrees in various sports sciences and anatomies. Some Trainers have done online course work, their own research and hours of hours in the gym. Some Trainers have been offered jobs by large companies and know very little, no more than how to give quick instruction. Determining the quality of the 'advice' is kinda crucial here. If I were you i'd Google journal articles about the subject. I think where you're stuck is on the actual (and I mean scientific) definition of spot reducing.

There are many knowledgeable contributors to this forum and nastiness aside, your statement was refuted on numerous occasions with explanations by some of these people.
  • holpan11
    holpan11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You CAN spot reduce with my miracle Unicorn Cream. It's $150 for a bottle of it. PM me if you are interested.

This statement has not been verified by the FDA. :wink:

Ha ha I want some Unicorn cream
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Options
    I cannot believe this is still up!!!!
  • bradstein
    Options
    Just so you know, both Larry Scott and Arnold say you CAN spot reduce and both said it regarding their abs. Larry Scott says it when he is introducing his "ring of fire" exercises and Arnold explains that he can do a lot of cardio and not have his abs where he wants them, but one long ab session and his abs are back.

Just sayin'.