WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    TGIF:happy:
    I don’t know how many times I have found this thread, starting reading to get up to date and motivated, and then something else comes up. I keep losing my place, but I love reading about all the inspiring stories.:flowerforyou:

Finally, a minute to write down my September goals and mark my spot.

September goals
    Lose 1 lb / week (first week was a bigger loss, don’t expect that again)
    Continue to log in my food choices the night before, such a great help
    Get back in the saddle at least once this month (literally – haven’t ridden in a while)
    Have at least 2 bedrooms painted by the end of the month(selling house this fall)

Need to figure out how to add those cute smiley faces :smile: found them!

Lynn
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    It's Friday and I have so much to do to get ready for the road trip to Tillamook. I really really need this get away to relax, walk in a beautiful setting and enjoy time with the husband. I have to get my car washed. For those that don't know I drive a bright blue Nissan 350 convertable. We love to take it on weekend road trips. I just hope it doesn't rain.

Amanda - your pictures are just so amazing and inspiring.

Laura - Yes, Tillamook, OR. I am so looking forward to the ice cream.

Take care all you beautiful ladies.

Robin (Bodi and Ritter too!)
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful for the positive postings here. What a rich kalaidescope of experience--keeps me mindful to be grateful and inspires me to continue.
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Haven't posted for a few days....have had a messed up week food wise....definatley not on track.
    Went to get my "custom fitted" brace this morning for my knee ( I have been so looking forward to getting it and hoped to be more mobile) but it didn't even come close to fitting! "Custom" my butt! I think they say "she's too small for this one, she's too large for this one , so let's give her this one!" For $1700.00 plus I expect them to come to my house and bring a machinist with them ! LOL! They are sending it back for adjustments so I will have to wait another week before I even know if it's going to work for me! I have to get out of this rut so I am going to do some more of the chair exercises, that Kathy told me about. Fresh start on Monday and will work on my attitude this week end!

Goals for September:
    Plan my meals for a week at a time if possible (I really think this will help me in my week moments)
    Look for new ways (recipes) to add veggies to my day (brought up on turnip, carrott and canned peas so I have limited taste buds and knowledge)
    Weigh in weekly (Mondays)
    Start going to rec centre more regularly
    Do some form of exercise everyday

Cathy in sunny Nova Scotia
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies:flowerforyou:

Gail:smile: I have natural nails and I keep them fairly short, I have friends that have "gel" nails (I'm not really sure what that is), they say it's better for your nails than acrylic. I think they go every few weeks for maintenance . Hope that helps.

Jen:smile: Happy anniversary:flowerforyou: !!!! So sorry for the losses you've experienced lately:cry: .

Texasgal:smile: Continue putting on the OFF!!!!! I sure hope things start to improve there soon. We've had 2 cases of death from West Nile here in NC, it's just scary!!!! Congrats on your 1.2 lb. loss this week!!!!

Karin:smile: just keep coming back and posting here, you'll get to know us in no time:flowerforyou: .

Liz:smile: I so hope your client is calm, mellow and happy today!!!!!!

Janemartin:smile: hope you're feeling better today:flowerforyou: .

Micki:smile: congrats on your long walk!!!! Hope you'll be able to get your walk in tomorrow!!!!

Michele:smile: I love anything with cherries in it!!!! Let us know how the brownies turn out.

Wanda:smile: Congrats on your 32 pounds gone!!!!

Dixie:smile::heart: :heart: :heart: miss you!!!!!

Lila:smile: Happy birthday:flowerforyou: , hope you have fun with your sister!!!

LindaSundanceB:smile: milk chocolate has just as many benefits as dark chocolate :noway: , I love all chocolate!!!!

Barbie:smile: you have an amazing hubby, what a very kind man to volunteer, I'm sure the animals are very grateful to him too!!!

DebA:smile: funny how we get used to doing healthy things for ourselves, stop for a day or two and then can't wait to get back to our healthy ways, it's a good feeling!!!

Carol:smile: your goals for Sept. look good!!!!

Jan:smile: it takes a few days or weeks, but you'll get your routine figured out!

Maryinnc:smile: your goals for Sept. sound good!

Nancy:smile: yay for you making your appt. for the bike in the am!!!!congrats on your new grill.

Wessecg:smile: are you sure your eating enough for all the calories you burn? Might be something to check into.

Retskciv63:smile: have you tried maybe just walking to get some exercise in? I think you should go to boot camp and let the instructor know about your tendinitis, he or she might have some tips for you.

Revpeg:smile: welcome:flowerforyou: your goals for Sept. look good!

Robin :smile: have fun on your trip!!!!

Lynn:smile: your Sept. goals look good!

Glenda:smile: congrats for going on your bike ride, remember baby steps!!!!

Cathy:smile: sorry about your knee brace, my brother had the same problem, they finally got his adjusted, he still hates it though. Hang in there!!!

I have had a really good day today!!! I'm feeling more and more like myself, the coughing isn't nearly as bad, and I feel perkier than I have in awhile:bigsmile: . I had to run out and do some shopping earlier today, my under garments are not fitting anymore:blushing: , I love it, I went down a band size and a cup size!!!!! I also decided to try on a pair of pants so I grabbed the size 14 and the sales lady said "oh no, those will be too big, here take the 12s, I just looked at her like I thought she was crazy, well the 12s fit:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: . I'm just so happy I'm not shopping in the plus size anymore, there are so many more choices now!!!!! I had thought I might get lunch somewhere since I was out already, the smaller size pants changed my mind, I came home and had what I had planned out for today!!!! Smaller pants are a great motivator:laugh: .

Well the doggie is wanting to go out for her afternoon walk now. Hope everyone is having a fabulous day!!!
    Drink your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    DeeDee - Love it!:happy: Smaller pants ARE a great motivator! I can hardly wait!
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good Late Afternoon Ladies,

Our birthday supper last night went rather well I thought. He decided to deep fry only the potatoes and instead picked up a bbq chicken from the supermarket. I deeked around the fries by cooking a few new potatoes for myself (okay, I had a couple). I had a very slim piece of the ice cream cake (I weighed it) and for my evening snack I had 2 large tablespoons of the peach crisp…. and lots of water. I am so close to that 200 # brick wall…. 2lbs… I am determined!! Just 2 lbs and I am sitting on top of the wall!!!

Besides having way too much dessert on hand, my walking partner has reinjured her ankle that she sprained this summer. I still went for the walk…. I was good.

This afternoon I spent hacking my way through the jungle that I pretend is my flower garden. I would not have been surprised to hear the words, “Dr. Livingston I presume?” I was surprised to find a rather large abandoned wasp nest cuddled between the fence and the lilies. That could have been a very nasty surprise had I ventured down that end to actually weed! I am cutting down all the day lily and iris as the weekly garden waste recycling pickup is drawing to a close in our area I was frantic to fill up the bin. Mission accomplished. There is still much to be done but now it will be done every second week. Reprieve.

Tonight will be busy so just catching my breath after the garden. Must start thinking about what to feed the fellows as they will be home soon for a pit-stop before they’re off again to the big football game tonight, the Labour Day return match between the Eskies and those other Alberta guys, heehee. They beat us by one point on Monday so it’s time for revenge!

Jen- so sorry about your losses. West Nile seems to be making inroads into Canada Central now so we are all on the lookout!

Liz- look after yourself! I have friends doing the same as you and I always fear for their safety! Some of their clients are big and strong and when the adrenaline gets pumping, they have the strength of 10 men.

Micki – wow! That’s quite a walk! Congrats!

Michell – a pool and a spa, sounds a like a little bit of heaven! Good for you, we’ll all be over when its done.

Nancy – my hubby dragged me back to his birthplace (imagine that!) which is Sherwood Park, just slightly east of Edmonton. The winters are still too long for me, I’ve gotten used to -25 degrees but anything colder makes me crazy and when it hits -45 I’m looking for divorce lawyers and the first plane out.

Lila – check out the memory foam before you buy. My son bought a thick memory foam mattress topper and I asked to try it as I thought it would ease my arthritic joints. Soft it was but I couldn’t move, I couldn’t turn over; I was trapped so to speak! Needless to say I didn’t buy one. Happy Birthday!

Glendalight- wow! A bike already!! Congratulations but maybe a little shorter ride and build up. I know the ‘mind’ thinks 15 minutes isn’t much but that poor old hip has had it muscles and joints cut and pulled apart and may be a little shocked.

Cathy in Nova Scotia – been there, knee braces and all. Don’t lose heart. This knee brace will help (when they get it figured out) and once you are mobile nothing will stop you. Try non-weight bearing exercises in the pool to start, they are always a great help with leg problems (believe me I have had my share!).

Deedee- Congratulations on the new size! Wow you are out of the plus sizes, fantastic!! I look forward to the day I am ‘non-plussed’ by my weight loss.

For those I have missed, glad you are along on this journey with us.
    Be strong, love yourself, choose happiness,

Kate
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how this works. I've never joined a blog before. I picked this site because everyone seemed very positive and upbeat, and that is just what I need. At any rate, I am at a point where I need some motivation and support. I have been in fairly good shape most of my life, but this past year, I have been unable to golf or play tennis because of a tendonitis problem. This also affected lifting weights, etc. I have signed up for a boot camp and missed the first 2 classes as I am fearful I won't be able to do it anymore. I've used My Fitness Pal off and on, and I love it when I am using it, but then, for some reason or another, I get lazy and quit, thinking I can watch my calories without it as I know basically what to eat. That never works!! I've had treatment for my tendonitis, and have been trying to play tennis, but had to quit in the middle of a game this morning due to the pain. I feel lazy actually, and need a jumpstart.

I will post this "reply", but not sure what I am replying to. There is no place that I can see to post my picture like I see on the site. If anyone can give me feedback on how this works, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.:flowerforyou:

Hi retskciv63, you're replying to a thread where lots of us ladies post on a regular basis. Join in, just come back often and write about your progress. You'll get nice support here.

In order to post a photo on the page here where you write, you first have to get a free account in a photo-hosting site such as Photobucket.com and upload your photos there. Once that's done, you'll probably need to resize them if they're large files. Once you're done editing, click next to where it says "IMG" and it'll show "copied" once you've done that. Keep a separate window open with this thread, and right-click to "Paste" your photo onto your post. Once you've pasted it, you'll have to change the capital letters in the brackets [IMG]to lower case letters on both ends of the line. Leave the brackets intact. If the image is too big after posting, you can edit again and resize. It's a bit of a pain but once you've done it a few times it gets easier. Thanks again, everyone, for your nice comments on my post. Yes, it was quite a chore building the log cabin, took about 4 months of intense work. We lived in a tepee while building, yeah, we were wild and crazy kids at 29 yrs old. Our old-timer friend called us "puddin' heads" :laugh: We put the roof on mid-January under clear skies and -30 degrees with the wind chill. We could only work for 10 minutes at a time then go warm our hands by the fire. I simply must write a book. I've started several times but haven't gotten very far. It's a long, long story. Aww, Nancy, I agree, it's so nice getting to know each other here. Too bad I don't live in Sandpoint anymore! We'd certainly have to get together and sip some bubbly. :drinker: Say, you're getting a Weber BBQ, nice! We love ours, it's a gas grill, the "Spirit" model. Very well built. I bought it for my hubby about 6 or 7 years ago and it's still in excellent shape. We use the heck out of it, too. Amanda, gorgeous transformation! I feel the exact same way, and I quote, "Sometimes I'm just amazed at how large I allowed myself to get!" We can all get to where we want to be. It takes time and effort, friends and a good support group like this one. :bigsmile: Welcome everyone new, hop right in! It's 90 degrees here, :noway: we had to turn on the A/C. I'll take the dogs back to the river for a swim this afternoon. Time for me to get busy in the kitchen canning tomatoes. Have a wonderful evening everyone. :smile: jb[/img]
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends. Boy am I glad it’s Friday even though I have clinical Monday and Tuesday and no office time. I had a pretty crappy morning. First I went to my employee & spouse health screen…you know those things where you get a discount on your insurance premium if you participate (and more if you spouse does too). Today it was at the corporate office and the lady at the door wouldn’t let me in because I didn’t have my name tag. She said “There’s a sign right there that says no entrance without a badge.” I said “IF I were a spouse I wouldn’t have a badge, so what would you do then?”. She just glared at me. Just then someone came up also for the screening and said “Hi Meg are you here for the health screening?” Boy if looks could kill :angry: , but she let me in.

Then my weight on their scale was 7 pounds heavier than I expected. Then they poked my finger, put the blood on the plastic card thing and put it in the machine, which then read “Unknown error.”. No results. Another finger poke and my numbers were so awful I said that I wouldn’t let them give me a health score based on them. So then I got a lab draw. My blood glucose was way high….first 140, then the lab draw it was 130!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I’m on metformen (Glucophage)!!! I cried all the way to work, then thought about all the steroid cream I have been using on my skin for over a year, and sure enough when I looked it up, that’s a side effect. I didn’t have time to call my dermatologist for an appointment because I had meetings all day. When I took the 3 bandaids off I see I have three pretty large bruises for tiny sticks, so I have been telling everyone I was assaulted at the health screen! :bigsmile:

The only good news is that today was weigh in day at the college, and I lost 2.2 pounds from last week (It was up 2 weeks ago and stayed the same last week) so overall I showed a 0.8 pound loss, which made me very happy. :happy: Ginny lost about 3 pounds too, so we did well for our first week. I need a margarita!

Amanda: Your photos are AMAZING!!!!! You have so much to be proud of! :flowerforyou:

Kathy: glad things are going well for you and hope your exercise doesn’t cause any flare ups!

Lin: I hope you had one for me! :drinker:

Laura: I have been grey for years and have to color every 3 weeks without fail because my hair grows so fast. The only time I can remember being really mad at DH is when he asked why I don’t just let it go! AUGH. I thought “DO I look that old?”

Gini: have a great trip to the lake

Kate: we always freeze our birthday cakes. WE cut them up, have a piece, then freeze the rest. Works pretty well

DeeDee: Your dinner sounds fabulous…two of my favorite foods. With all our Latin knowledge, maybe we can help Amanda with her translation!

Gardengail: I have never had acrylic nails because health care facilities mostly ban them….they tend to encourage the growth of fungus underneath them.

Jen: oh my I am so sorry to hear of your losses. Sometimes it does seem like there is too much tragedy in the world. My thoughts and prayers to you and them. :flowerforyou:

Liz: good luck with your client!!! Stay safe~!!!

Jane: I hope you are feeling better soon :flowerforyou:

Micki: that’s a long walk. You should be proud!

Michele: I kind of feel that way about our Y too. We used to have a great staff, but now they are all new and don’t really go out of their way for you.

Dixie: Hi and so glad to see you. Take care of yourself and come back when you feel up to it! :heart:

Nancy: glad to hear you are still alive and well!!!

Lila: I love your ticker!

Linda: sorry to hear about hubby; you’re right he probably needs counseling…he sounds depressed. I haven’t had my blood sugar taken since I started on metformen, so I don’t know how it affects it, but I was appalled at it this morning. I am hoping, hoping, hoping it was the steroid cream. Needless to say no more of that!

Barbie other than missing your DH, that house sitting job seems like a win-win.

DebA; I had to laugh at the dumbboard remark. How many times I have cursed it in class LOL

Carol: nice to see you here again! You are doing great by your status updates!

Oh my goodness there are so many more posts to reply to, but DH and I are going out for dinner (remember that margarita I wanted) so I will have to close for the evening. Take care everyone, Meg :drinker:
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Same for me :love:
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow! Can't believe how many new posts there are since I posted yesterday afternoon!:smile:

Jen - Happy belated anniversary! Very sorry to hear about the losses you posted!

Nancy - I got a laugh out of your 0 reading on monitor and you asking am I dead? :laugh:

Lila - Glad you got to enjoy your drive with the wildlife sightings!

Linda - My foot is coming along slowly-thanks for asking!:flowerforyou: Wore my crocks comfortably today for the first time and got a longer exercise session in.

Barbie - Love your line "you have nothing to lose but some of the pounds you didn't want anyway."!:smile:

Lentigogirl - That def sounds like a good explanation for the morning donut!

Nancy - Enjoy your new grill!

Glendalight - Yay for you with your bike ride! I know from personal experience that great feeling you get when you can gradually get more active post surgery!

Robin - I hope you have a great time on your roadtrip!

Cathy - I hope you get your brace soon and that it helps!

DeeDee - Glad you're finally feeling better and congrats on the smaller pant size!

Kate- Glad you spotted the wasp nest before the wasps spotted you!

Meg - Sorry your morning was so crappy. That lady are to door def needs a refresher course in good customer service skills! Knee is flaring up again a bit but trying to push through it! Hope you got to relax and enjoy your dinner with DH! Hugs!

I am so hoping this post doesn't get lost in cyberspace!!

On a side note was very horrified to find out that my sis (who is only 4 yrs. older than me) eats TV dinners every night for dinner! :frown: She inadvertently mentioned this to me when I was telling her about my gradual weight loss. She had a heart attack earlier this year and I thought she was eating healthier since she had seen a nutritionist. Her daughter told me they were Lean Cuisine but still the sodium amounts in some of those are crazy! Thinking I'm just going to send her some easy veggie recipes to start with and see if she'll try them.

Gotta get off the couch and move and get my water!:drinker:

Welcome again to the newcomers and if I missed replying to you, plse know I do read everyone's posts. Hugs to all!:flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    In a better place tonight...will try not to be such a wet blanket! Love all the posts and stories...congrats on all the losses...I have a hard time with individual remarks because I do this on my kindle and not really sure if I can keep site open in two tabs...technologically challenged...when I am feeling inspired I'll have to give it a try!:noway:

Took today off from exercise...I have some pain in the ball of my foot that I should probably have looked at...so I wanted to give it a rest...will workout tomorrow am and then off for my massage..yay! Will be skipping Saturday lunch..mybrothers are doing some work at mom's (aka the inspector) and my sister is going to take out one of her gardens...darn that's when I ail be having my massage..lol! The other curious thing with my mom...my sister and I have lunch with her almost every Saturday. .we always provide it..we used to take turns in hosting but when it was mom's turn she never provided any food...so we brought our own...when the boys are at her house she provides lunch....anyone see a double standard here??? Oh well we love her anyway she raised 6 kids with a dh that traveled a lot so the fact that she can walk and talk at the same time is pretty amazing to me!:laugh:

I am still trying to tweak the content of my diet..baby steps for me or I won't stick with it. Am going to try to make stuffed peppers..never had them, not sure dh will be a fan but maybe I can freeze and take for lunch?? Found some interesting healthy recipes but will no doubt mostly wing it on my own.

Have a great night and enjoy the weekend. Hugs, high fives (esp on the smaller pants and all the losses) and prayers! Love the support on this thread!
    :heart:
    jen

Ps heard from my high school tennis doubles partner on fb today...we haven't seen/spoken since high school..how cool is that? Oh we haven't had the sibling doubles match yet...I guess the brothers are afraid of us!!lol!!:happy::laugh:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Jen - google Morton's Neuroma and see if that describes the pain in the ball of your foot. I have it in my right foot and it can really get in the way of things.

Gail
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Wanda - menopause is killing my sleep, too! The worst seems to be that you need sleep to lose, that seems to be hampering my efforts. Because I take the body test every day on the Wii, I certainly can see that when I don't get enough sleep, I have a slight weight gain. Also, whenever I eat late at night (like last night). Good job on the weight loss!

Nancy - I did thaw the cherries and put them into the oven at low for about an hour. Not sure if they were dried enough, tho.

Anyone who takes the body test on the Wii - when you get the prediction thing, what is it you're predicting? You are supposed to get through the openings, but if you can't see them, what are you predicting?

Well, no one is supposed to be here to work on the pool, I will probably go in later today. It's supposed to be warm.

I never knew this, at least not until we talked to one of the guys doing the pool. Did you know that even after 6 months, bleach loses some of its effectiveness? Somehow, I don't think that impacts the whiteness of clothes, but he was telling us that even if the bleach is 6 months old, it's lost some of its effectiveness so you might have to add more than you would have expected.

Linda - TSO is Trans Siberean Orchestra. They're known mainly for their Christmas CD's, although they do have a few non-christmas ones. You can tell that they're trying to get away from the "Christmas band" mindset. Google them on ytube (it's early in the a.m. so if I misspelled that, forgive me). They are more of a rock band. One thing that impressed me when I first went to their concert (even tho I'd read this) is that there can be someone in the audience in a Megadeth t-shirt and next to him is a grandmother in a reindeer sweater, and it appeals to both. Their pyrotechnics are awesome. Do you remember the Budweiser (I think it was Bud, I know it was for a beer) where they had the light synched to music (christmas music). Well, that was their song. I believe the light show was done by Carson Williams

Does anyone know any foods that are natural diruetics? Even the gal who is the wife of one of the pool workers who came here yesterday to translate mentioned to me about my swollen ankles. she said something about how her mother takes a diuretic but she does have to go to the bathroom a lot. I really don't want to be running to the bathroom and I'd prefer to take as few pills as needed. I'm trying to see if there's a food that is a duiretic. I've read that cucumber and watermelon are. Not sure that I understand this as both are high in water content.

Couldn't sleep tonight (again!). Going to start getting ready to exercise, then go to mahjongg, then get my hair done, then stop at a food store.

Jan - youll find a routine that works for you real soon, I just know it

lentigogirl - oh, how hard it is to watch our children stumble and know there's nothing we can do. But when they do fall, they usually learn their lesson. Like my one daughter. We told her over and over not to drive without insurance, what the consequences would be. But did she listen? NOOOOO What happened? She was stopped and her car was put in impound. The good thing was that she's now very consciencious (did I spell that right?) to be sure she has insurance on her car. I know how it killed me, but things did work out in the end and they will for you, too

Did an hour of a spin downloadable workout today, then played mahjongg (maj'd once!), got my hair done, stopped at one store to get things on sale then another to get candy to donate, came home and it was so warm that I went in the pool. Bad part is that the pump is working on the spa, not the pool. But that'll probably change tomorrow. another bad thing happened -- my timer didn't keep time. I said to myself "it feels like it's been half an hour" and sure enough, the timer didn't move since when I put it on 30 minutes. I think I probably need a new timer. It's supposed to be nice Sunday so we'll probably look at the tiles and then I'm thinking that I'll go in the pool.

tomorrow is farmer's market, then yoga, then to the store since I just saw that we're running low on the water for the workers. I'll probably also get another 10lb bag of ice.

Made another batch of brownies for the guys tomorrow. Vince won't eat them since there's cherries in it, also some ginger. Went to have tofu today and it was yellow on top. It hadn't passed it's expiration date. So instead had shirataki noodles.

Nancy - that's wonderful you got a new grill. I love ours

wessecg - whenever I eat before bedtime, I can be guaranteed of a gain the next day. Doesn't matter if I'm under calories or what. Also, don't consistently go too low on your calories or your body will go into "starvation" mode. Regardless of what the math says, you might even find you lose if you were to go over one or two days

Welcome everyone new. You'll find lots of good advice and hints here.

DeeDee - the brownies turned out fairly good. Only there really isn't enough for the three guys who'll be here tomorrow so tonight I made another batch. This time I increased the dry ingredients, didn't see much of a change. Also, didn't dry out the cherries as much as I did the first time. I honestly think they'd probably be OK just thawed and cut in half. Congrats on those pants! Wonderful!

retskciv - I agreee with DeeDee, go to the boot camp, tell the instructor about your tendonitis. He/she will most likely be able to provide you with alternatives.

Meg - what is it with the Y lately? I remember when we were in Kennett Square, they seemed to really concentrate on the kids. But who donated the money for their new facility, the seniors did! Now down here, it seems that the people who have been here for a while, even tho they were doing a decent job and have a rapport with the community, they get fired and new people who the regulars don't know, don't see, that's who they have in the jobs. I just don't understand it. I offered to sub for a class (don't feel I should make a commitment this summer what with the pool and all) but I was told that they don't plan to purchase the equipment. But they did for another branch, plus other equipment (which means money spent training people, etc). I just don't understand it.

Kathy - you are so right about the sodium in those "diet" dinners. I try not to make things with potatoes in it because potatoes don't freeze well at all. I do freeze almost everything else.

Jen - the positive to you providing your own food is that you can watch what it is you're eating (and she's eating)

Oh, Vince was telling me that dd sent him a pic of cookie monster with these fruits in front of him and the saying underneath it is "what is this stuff???" Yup, that's Vince.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness...there is a post call All Thing PUMPKIN with wonderful recipes. I marked my place so I can go back to check them out. I love pumpkin!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,

I am just exhuasted sitting here after catching up on the posts wanting to reply . I kept falling asleep. I am just freezing so going to call it a night. Will response tomorrow.

Have a good night!

Liz
  • cpsoroff
    cpsoroff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work in the school system and I also fine September a time to start focusing on my goals. With not a lot of routine and more down time in the summer, things begin to grow (belly, arm, etc.) I have always been quite focused at maintaining my goals. I try very hard to keep a weekly routine. Strength training twice a week, cardio three times and two to three yoga classes. I just started Yoga a couple of years ago. I am finding at the age of fifty, that I am becoming more tight ( I don't mean tight as in belly, but hamstrings and quads) This is helping me with sitting in the car or on the floor with the kids for longer periods. (My lower back would kill me before) I just bought a book called Fitness Beyond Fifty. I love it and it is quite funny. Anyway my goals are the same as they have been for many years. I just want to loose those last ten pounds. Maybe this will be the year. I look forward to reading everyone posts.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!!

JB: I LOVEd hearing you talk about your life! You have had quite a "ride" and I love your attitude. I am also envious of your musical talent:-) Thank you for sharing with us:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Amanda: Your photos are so inspiring! Thanks, too, for sharing:flowerforyou:

Still struggling a bit, but still hanging in there...hiking and walking. Just eating TOO randomly:grumble: :grumble:

Take care, Dear Ladies:heart: Kackie
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi! :tongue:
    I'm not a teacher, but I am a nurse which does kind of qualify... I have to do patient education! lol. I just hit the big 5-0 last month, and I feel great! My goals for Sept. are:
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. :drinker:
    Continue to cross train until my ankle heals and I can run again. :grumble:
    Run and train for a 5k. :happy:
    Listen to my body, and don't overdo it. :noway:
    Maintain my current weight. :smile:
    Explore new recipes and cook healthy meals. :bigsmile:
    Looking forward to being a part of such a wonderful group! God bless! :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: retskciv, there's a lot to learn about posting on this site, but just take it one day at a time. You joined just by posting and if you want to reply to a certain person, just put their name at the beginning of the line and then say what you want to...or hit the quote button and then write your reply below the word quote at the bottom of the quoted section.......posting a picture can be done with photobucket or flickr and if you need help, just ask the question again and someone will give a more detailed answer.

:flowerforyou: glendalight
    exercise, sleep, consistency---that sounds like a great recipe for success.

:bigsmile: DeeDee, congrats on the smaller pants.

:bigsmile: Kate, as much as I love the various walking partners that show up from time to time, the only partners I can count on are the poodles and me......if I waited for friends to walk with, I'd rarely leave the house.

:bigsmile: jb and Amanda, when I lost weight, a friend told me that I had reinvented myself..I think that is true for both of you.

:flowerforyou: I think I mentioned that I read "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin (recommended by several women on this thread) and it made huge positive changes in my life. When I heard that Gretchen had written a new book, I wanted to read it so I placed a request at our library before the book even came out and yesterday I got it. It's called "Happier at Home".....at the beginning she says that September is the new January, which is exactly how we started this thread thinking of September as a clean slate, new beginning. If you haven't read Gretchen's books, I urge you to find them and read them. You will find a whole new attitude and outlook on life.

:bigsmile: I went to a second line dance class today to practice the dances we'll be performing at an assisted living place at the end of the month.

194904olsgis3xqe.gif

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

September Resolutions:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    * walk with hubby three days a week
    *17,000 steps a day
    * finish the rock project in the yard
    *Act the way I want to feel
    *Come from a place of love
    *Don’t take things personally