TOPIC: Opinion on Gay marriage?

Options

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I don't really care which two people are bound by a legal civil union to protect their rights and freedoms and to declare their relationship publicly to friends and family... just please don't insist that a church or other religious institution that doesn't support same-sex relationships conduct the ceremony.

This ^^^^^^

Yeah I'd have to agree with this too. I know so many people, because they follow a certain faith, want it in a church but really who cares who the legal marriage binder is or where it is. Get married and be happy that you did or could at all.
  • javagsd
    Options
    There was not a single dissenting vote on the platform plank supporting gay marriage at the convention last week in Charlotte. Yay!
  • LuneBleu85
    Options
    I wish people would spend more time trying to cure disease and solve poverty rather than debating this endlessly. Just my $0.02.
  • LuneBleu85
    Options
    And I support gay marriage - FYI.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I feel that marriage is a legal institution between two consenting legal adults and therefore should be extended equally to all legal adults. Withholding the right to marry from homosexuals is in fact no better than withholding the right to marry between interracial couples, or to go back further between Catholics and Protestants. And denying others rights in no way makes your ability to exercise the freedom more precious. It in fact makes the very practice of your freedom in the face of their oppression insidious and disheartening. Perhaps marriage is failing as an institution because inside ourselves we know that we are bastardizing the whole institution with the oppression of our fellow citizens. Food for thought.
  • RoseSweet
    Options
    Am I still on myfitnesspal??

My thoughts exactly, I hear some other free calorie counting web sites don't have all this junk going on, like Sparkpeople.com and Loseit.com among others.. I'm going to check it out.

I'm sure your fingers were twisted to click on this post and reply to it :p

I would like to have a supportive lose weight kind of climate instead of clicking on MFP and seeing off topic sickening, headlines jump in my face, this site has really changed, I'm embarrassed to recommend it to my friends anymore. : (

"Off topic sickening headlines".... I'm not even going to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

However,
    1. This is the "chit-chat, fun, and games' board. You can talk about pretty much whatever you want here. While I do appreciate your opinion, if it's this discussion is so upsetting to you, no one's forcing you to look and post in this topic.
    2. May I redirect you to the "Motivation and Support" board?

Hahaha, so sorry, but anyone who wouldn't touch these off topic, sickening, headlines with a 10 foot pole is incompetent to redirect me anywhere.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Am I still on myfitnesspal??

My thoughts exactly, I hear some other free calorie counting web sites don't have all this junk going on, like Sparkpeople.com and Loseit.com among others.. I'm going to check it out.

See ya! Don't let the door hit your *kitten* on the way out...

(Come on people! Don't click on topics you don't want to read!)
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I don't really care which two people are bound by a legal civil union to protect their rights and freedoms and to declare their relationship publicly to friends and family... just please don't insist that a church or other religious institution that doesn't support same-sex relationships conduct the ceremony.

This is my exact sentiment.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's time we move past the bigotry because we are not all cloned to think and act alike. I support anyone who wants to be happy and it's not for me to pass judgment in any way. I''m for being respectful of everyone's feelings.
  • andie2013
    Options
    The issue is about being granted and recognized the title of "marriage" and the benefits it entails. Not just some civil/legal union or forcing any specific church to perform the ceremony.
  • imaginemerunning
    Options
    lol funny topic for my fitness app!! ah well get it off your chest! i want my weight of my body!!
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    People should be allowed to marry whoever they want. No matter what.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I saw a topic about inter racial relationships and was surprised to see some people against the idea. So now I'm curious as to what people think about gay marriage :)
    You were "surprised?"
    Really?
    Why would that surprise you?
    And will it surprise you to find people are against gay marriage?
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care about who is sticking what in whom, as long as they're both consenting adults.

I don't think churches should be forced to perform a gay marriage, as it is against their doctrine, but I do believe civil unions should be afforded the same rights as marriages so that a gay marriage is equal to a straight marriage. For what it's worth, though, some churches are accepting of gay marriages (the Episcopalians come to mind), so it's nice to know that gay Christians would at least have some options open to them if they wished to have a Christian wedding ceremony. I imagine there are some independent ministers out there who would be happy to perform a gay wedding as well.

Bottom line: I'm all for it. I would be incredibly happy if people finally woke up one day and realized banning it is as stupid as banning inter-racial marriages.
  • jammet80
    jammet80 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Love is love. period.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I hope that someday SOONER rather than LATER, my LGBT friends can be able to legally marry their partners. It's not "just" a piece of paper...it affects their civil rights, their health insurance, their tax benefits, their children...(and I'm neither gay nor married. I just believe that consenting adults should be able to love and marry other consenting adults and not be treated as less than equal).

For all those who say "yawn, who cares"--what if there was a law that said blue eyed brunettes couldn't marry? what if there were still laws saying interracial marriage was wrong? what if only gay marriage was allowed, and hetero marriage was NOT?

Still saying "yawn, who cares?" I bet not.

And if you don't believe in marriage, fine, but that's not the issue being discussed.
  • imaginemerunning
    Options
    read it a bit more then ! :smile:
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I think there's too much heat on this subject. If two people are happy and in love, who gives a crap if they're two men or two women. The people who get ticked off are probably just jealous because they'll never have what the two in love do.

Live and let live is a nice sentiment, but what if the new law created to make all couples have the same access to marriage infringes on the basic religious rights/freedoms...that is what bothers me about the issue. I have many friends who I care for deeply, some are gay but they aren't my friends because they are gay or straight, or what ever.. I like them for who they are, but it doesn't mean I agree 100 percent with their lives and this doesn't just apply to sexual orientation.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I hope that someday SOONER rather than LATER, my LGBT friends can be able to legally marry their partners. It's not "just" a piece of paper...it affects their civil rights, their health insurance, their tax benefits, their children...(and I'm neither gay nor married. I just believe that consenting adults should be able to love and marry other consenting adults and not be treated as less than equal).

For all those who say "yawn, who cares"--what if there was a law that said blue eyed brunettes couldn't marry? what if there were still laws saying interracial marriage was wrong? what if only gay marriage was allowed, and hetero marriage was NOT?

Still saying "yawn, who cares?" I bet not.

And if you don't believe in marriage, fine, but that's not the issue being discussed.

HOLY CRAP DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT THERE ARE LAWS LIKE THAT IN MOST OF THE WORLD???????? Please look outside your own backyard.
  • internal_monsters
    Options
    101% support it, all the way. what's wrong with it? they're happy. not like they're debating making murder legal or something, don't see why it's so controversial... like someone said, people used to shun interracial marriages the same way. i dont see why people argue over these things. goddamn it, if you're happy with someone with different parts or the same, nobody else should butt in. wish the united states would legalize gay marriages (well, just marriage for all) already lol. my point of view. ~
This discussion has been closed.