TOPIC: Opinion on Gay marriage?

Options

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I happen to be against it. Not a religious thing, just think the definition is one man and one woman. Also think the argument that it doesn't impact my life what other people do is a strange one. What would it matter to my life if 5 people married each other or a brother married a sister? Does the board support those things?

I know they aren't the same as gay marriage between two people, but gay marriage isn't the same as interracial marriage either.
    I don't care if five people marry each other. I don't care if a brother and sister marry each other. It does not affect my life at all, so why should I care? As long as everyone is a consenting adult, it's no big deal to me.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    Love is a beautifull thing.
    I don't understand why people can't just accept that fact..
    I want equality for all people!
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As a lesbian, I am (obviously) for it. I don't understand the people asking "please don't make us marry you!" It's not like two guys are going to tie down a minister and make them preform the ceremony at gunpoint. You just shop around for an ordained person and have them do it. Or if you are in Cali have your mom or dad or froend get the license online and do it for you.

This.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    I hope that someday SOONER rather than LATER, my LGBT friends can be able to legally marry their partners. It's not "just" a piece of paper...it affects their civil rights, their health insurance, their tax benefits, their children...(and I'm neither gay nor married. I just believe that consenting adults should be able to love and marry other consenting adults and not be treated as less than equal).

For all those who say "yawn, who cares"--what if there was a law that said blue eyed brunettes couldn't marry? what if there were still laws saying interracial marriage was wrong? what if only gay marriage was allowed, and hetero marriage was NOT?

Still saying "yawn, who cares?" I bet not.

And if you don't believe in marriage, fine, but that's not the issue being discussed.

HOLY CRAP DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT THERE ARE LAWS LIKE THAT IN MOST OF THE WORLD???????? Please look outside your own backyard.

You seem to have a need to try and make people feel like idiots and don't even realize it. Obviously she is talking to the 99% of people on this site who do not live in societies with these kinds of laws. Her statement doesn't mean she can't look outside of her own backyard either.
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Civil unions don't have all the same rights as a marriage does, people.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    "gay" marriage. my goodness, if 2 people love each other, it shouldn't matter. i'm bisexual and i know many fellow bisexuals and homosexuals who are better partners to each other than straight couples i know.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I happen to be against it. Not a religious thing, just think the definition is one man and one woman. Also think the argument that it doesn't impact my life what other people do is a strange one. What would it matter to my life if 5 people married each other or a brother married a sister? Does the board support those things?

I know they aren't the same as gay marriage between two people, but gay marriage isn't the same as interracial marriage either.

It's MUCH more than how the word should be defined. The word isn't all that important. Here's the deal, I was against gay marriage until the last yr or so. I am a Christian and was always told by other Christians that it was bad. I then realized it's not up to US to judge. If God doesn't like it, He will deal with it. We should not be judging others and making rules for them.

The main thing is that same sex partners be allowed to live normal lives as the rest of us do = claim each other on taxes, share medical benefits at work, be at the side of their loved one as they lay dying in ICU which is usually only allowed for immediate family members etc.... To be against it is to say these ppl are not human. I for one would be devistated if my spouse/loved one was dying and I was told I had no rights to act on his behalf or to be at his side during a time when no one should be alone. I don't believe marriage is a right anyway, I dont have a right to marry someone just because I want to, after all, they may not want to marry me... it's more of a privilege. We should all have that privilege and not be judged for it.
  • StormyLlewellyn
    Options
    Am I still on myfitnesspal??

My thoughts exactly, I hear some other free calorie counting web sites don't have all this junk going on, like Sparkpeople.com and Loseit.com among others.. I'm going to check it out.

I'm sure your fingers were twisted to click on this post and reply to it :p

I would like to have a supportive lose weight kind of climate instead of clicking on MFP and seeing off topic sickening, headlines jump in my face, this site has really changed, I'm embarrassed to recommend it to my friends anymore. : (

"Off topic sickening headlines".... I'm not even going to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

However,
    1. This is the "chit-chat, fun, and games' board. You can talk about pretty much whatever you want here. While I do appreciate your opinion, if it's this discussion is so upsetting to you, no one's forcing you to look and post in this topic.
    2. May I redirect you to the "Motivation and Support" board?

Hahaha, so sorry, but anyone who wouldn't touch these off topic, sickening, headlines with a 10 foot pole is incompetent to redirect me anywhere.

If you don't like MFP Please leave... Otherwise please be kind to others....
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Not only that but, for me at least, having to say that I have a "civil union" versus a marriage is kind of demeaning. To me marriage is very special. I was one of those little girls, i still am one of those little girls who dreams of my wedding. It may seem unnecessary to some people but I like the idea of the public commitment. A civil union just does not have the same magic for me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I hope that someday SOONER rather than LATER, my LGBT friends can be able to legally marry their partners. It's not "just" a piece of paper...it affects their civil rights, their health insurance, their tax benefits, their children...(and I'm neither gay nor married. I just believe that consenting adults should be able to love and marry other consenting adults and not be treated as less than equal).

For all those who say "yawn, who cares"--what if there was a law that said blue eyed brunettes couldn't marry? what if there were still laws saying interracial marriage was wrong? what if only gay marriage was allowed, and hetero marriage was NOT?

And if you don't believe in marriage, fine, but that's not the issue being discussed.

HOLY CRAP DO YOU NOT KNOW THAT THERE ARE LAWS LIKE THAT IN MOST OF THE WORLD???????? Please look outside your own backyard.

Wow "sleepytexan." Thank you for schooling me (not so much). I'm quite aware that there are laws in other countries that ALLOW LGBT PEOPLE TO BE KILLED SIMPLY FOR EXISTING. I'm not sure why I'm being yelled at. I posted my opinion based on MY beliefs and MY hopes for my LGBT friends. I am not sure what your point is or what your problem with what I posted was. My post was certainly not directed at anything you wrote, I was responding to a few people who answered with "who cares?" Well, I care. This issue affects people I love and care about. If you don't agree with my opinion, I respect that. But no need to yell at me.
  • RoseSweet
    Options

My thoughts exactly, I hear some other free calorie counting web sites don't have all this junk going on, like Sparkpeople.com and Loseit.com among others.. I'm going to check it out.

See ya! Don't let the door hit your *kitten* on the way out...

(Come on people! Don't click on topics you don't want to read!)

Now that's a good one! hahahha.. why did you click on my comment if you didn't agree with it???
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

It does in Canada. My first marriage was a civil ceremony. We did it in a park and there was no mention of God or anything of the sort. It was a beautiful ceremony and we were as married as any other couple in the country. Perhaps that varies from country to country?
  • Elzecat
    Options

You seem to have a need to try and make people feel like idiots and don't even realize it. Obviously she is talking to the 99% of people on this site who do not live in societies with these kinds of laws. Her statement doesn't mean she can't look outside of her own backyard either.

Thank you for the kind support. I'm not sure why I was targeted for what I wrote...I am in support of gay marriage. Always have been (since I was old enough to discuss the issue with my parents, who had LGBT friends) and always will be. I'm concerned about the rights of my friends and neighbors who live here in the USA...that doesn't mean I am NOT concerned about the rest of the world, but I can only deal with so much stress at one time.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options

Thank you for the kind support. I'm not sure why I was targeted for what I wrote...I am in support of gay marriage. Always have been (since I was old enough to discuss the issue with my parents, who had LGBT friends) and always will be. I'm concerned about the rights of my friends and neighbors who live here in the USA...that doesn't mean I am NOT concerned about the rest of the world, but I can only deal with so much stress at one time.

You're very welcome and I completely agree with you! :smile:
  • Elzecat
    Options

Ok, then lets put this in terms we are all familiar with.

Telling 2 people who love each other they cannot get married because its against their religion would be the same as me telling someone they can't have a donut because its against my diet.

Donuts don't fit into my lifestyle these days. But I mean, if donuts fit into your lifestyle, who am I to say no?

Like your analogy, but it made me hungry and I have no donuts. :smile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    marry whoever makes you happy... shouldnt matter their race, gender, sexual preference, etc.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the LGBT community, but I think marriage is between a man and woman.
  • LayneMorris
    Options
    It is a sin, but that being said I really don't care who you live with, who can visit you in the hospital, who you sleep with, and who gets your life insurance. What I do care about is the government stepping in and telling me what my beliefs and behaviors should be.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    All for it!!! If you don't like gay marriage then don't marry a gay person!
This discussion has been closed.