Calling all runners!

Options

Replies

• chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Because I run in the morning and I have to take my medication in the morning, which I'm not supposed to eat for an hour, I'm finding it difficult. Someone told me that even something like peanut butter, a spoon or two will give you some protein and will help make you feel less empty. I too am a new runner, I have not been able to get myself some nice sneakers, but luckily (knock on wood) have not had ANY problems than the blisters I got in the first week. I am on week four and what I did is similar to Couch to 5K, I will walk a block, run two block, walk a block, run two blocks, etc. I have now gotten to be able to (in 4 weeks) to run three blocks and walk a half before keeling over. The big problem I'm having is learning how to keep my breathing under control and the correct way my feet have to hit the ground, that is what is making it easier now.....with having no injuries or hurts. I'm an obese person, so I know how lucky I am that that is it. If you want to friend me, I won't mind working along to being a runner with you!!

Funny you mention peanut butter cause last night after my walk/run, I had a peanut butter sandwich! I was craving it!
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    Do you have any local running groups or clubs? If so, I would join one. There is always someone who is at the same level and the comradery will help to keep you motivated. Good luck!!!
  • chris1529
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY COUCH TO 5k! I started this in the spring and was the same as you. Couldn't run 30sec without feeling like dying! October 21 I am running a half marathon:)

KEEP GOING! It is soooo worth it. I have lost 24lbs and feel great. I am still losing. It has come off slow, don't get discouraged.

Someone told me they thought with all the running I was doing I should be a stick by now. Don't let haters discourage you. My first 5k I felt better because I saw that runners come in all shapes in sizes.

I used to think that runners were stick thin too but they come in all shapes and sizes. :) I am hoping to get thin and lean from running though BUT I have to admit that I have not been watching my diet and I love soda and sweet tea. Should I still lose weight and get leaner with the running even though I'm not watching my diet?
  • chris1529
    Options
    A few MFP members mentioned running shoes..I would be sure to go a shoe store that specializes in running. The store staff will be able to fit you in the proper based on your running motion (i.e. over/under pronating). Also, keep the mileage light and LOW to start with.

You will probably be mentally ready to run up more miles than you are physically. It takes time to get up the miles up on a weekly basis.

IMO the most important part of running is listening to your body and resting. As a runner, I like to break my PRs, run fast on consecutive days, and complete high mileage weeks. We tend to forget that we are training so we can run for another day, not so we can be sidelined with an injury. Rest days, easy days, and recovery days are KEY. Respect your body and enjoy an injury free running career.

Best of luck. If you have any questions, message me.

Peacee

Having rest days inbetween does seem to help! :) Last night when I was walk/running, I had to push myself some and I was thinking "thank goodness that I get a rest day tomorrow" lol! Running every other day seems to be working for me so far.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 4 of the c25k program tomorrow and I have become nearly addicted to running. If I don't get my workouts in, I get antsy. MFP is really helping me to change my life. I would recommend doing c25k and just follow the program exactly. Don't try to do more than the program asks. Aches and pains are normal parts of becoming fit and starting a running program but if you have any concerns, consult a physician. For me, knee pain comes and goes and sometimes my shins hurt but I actually embrace these as signs of positive change in my life. If the pain didn't go away or got bad enough that I didn't think I could run, I would see my doctor.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I used to think that runners were stick thin too but they come in all shapes and sizes. :) I am hoping to get thin and lean from running though BUT I have to admit that I have not been watching my diet and I love soda and sweet tea. Should I still lose weight and get leaner with the running even though I'm not watching my diet?
    [/quote]

You probably should watch your diet. Its very easy to drink many many more calories than you burn. And running, especially long distances, makes you hungry. The widely accepted idea is that you burn about 100 calories per mile. So if you cover 1 mile, and drink a soda afterwards, you erased what you ran PLUS some! So just be careful. Weight loss is really about diet. You diet to lose weight and you exercise to be fit.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    """""I used to think that runners were stick thin too but they come in all shapes and sizes. :) I am hoping to get thin and lean from running though BUT I have to admit that I have not been watching my diet and I love soda and sweet tea. Should I still lose weight and get leaner with the running even though I'm not watching my diet?"""""
    [/quote]

You probably should watch your diet. Its very easy to drink many many more calories than you burn. And running, especially long distances, makes you hungry. The widely accepted idea is that you burn about 100 calories per mile. So if you cover 1 mile, and drink a soda afterwards, you erased what you ran PLUS some! So just be careful. Weight loss is really about diet. You diet to lose weight and you exercise to be fit.

EDIT: Fixing the quote.
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chanson104
    Options
    If you're a reader, I suggest reading The Accidental Athlete. Quick, fun read -- especially for new runners.

Just sayin'.
  • chris1529
    Options
    I'll look into that book. Thanks! :) Tonight is my 3rd night of running and I'm actually excited to see if I get as tired as the last two times. Hoping to see some progress!
  • michellecrance
    michellecrance Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I am also trying to get into running and eventually into a 5K. Today I started what is basically the C25K only I didn't name it LOL I did 1 mile - 2 min running (jogging really lol) at 5mph and then 2 min walking at 3.5 mph. The last 30 seconds of those 2 min intervals ARE A KILLER!!
  • chris1529
    Options
    Hi there :) I am also trying to get into running and eventually into a 5K. Today I started what is basically the C25K only I didn't name it LOL I did 1 mile - 2 min running (jogging really lol) at 5mph and then 2 min walking at 3.5 mph. The last 30 seconds of those 2 min intervals ARE A KILLER!!

Sounds like you have some endurance built up already! I can only last for 30 seconds jogging and then spend 4 1/2 mins walking! I just got back from my walk/run tonight and my knees are hurting! I'm hoping this gets easier and that my legs will get to where they don't hurt while and/or after my run.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is awesome (repeating weeks as necessary - it's not a race!) as is really getting a good warm up. I've found that a 5 minute walk is not adequate as a warm up; at least 15-20 minutes of something other than jogging to warm up is ideal and makes a huge difference.

I'm going to suggest looking into barefoot or minimal running as well; I can NOT run in shoes. It's an instant recipe for shin splints, among other things. Even with my well-fitting, otherwise awesome running shoes. If nothing else, doing some barefoot/minimal running can really help improve your footstrike, etc, that translates to improved running in shoes -- which translates to less injury.
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    Couch to 5k changed my life 2 years ago, as well as my mom's life. Also go to a store specifically for runners. They will give you a foot test that will fit you for the exact correct shoes for you. They are typically more spendy but if you are true about your want to change into a runner you wont mind. I bought mine last year for $115 dollars, and they are still the best purchase I ever made.

But seriously the couch to 5k plan is the best!!!!!! It is a free running plan that you can search on google!
  • chris1529
    Options
    My shins are really starting to hurt now and so is one of my knees. :( I stretch afterwards and take a rest day in between walk/run days. Is there a specific food to eat before or afterwards that will help your muscles and all to recover faster?
  • rc429
    rc429 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ice the shin splints! Also, make sure you are doing stretches that target the muscles - try googling stretches for shin splints, several of the things that come up helped me when I started running again a couple of years ago.

I'd also suggest that you not try minimal shoes unless recommended by the running store where you get fitted for good shoes for you. I know people who love their Vibrams, but when I tried minimalist shoes it was instant shin splints.

Good luck with C25k!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My shins are really starting to hurt now and so is one of my knees. :( I stretch afterwards and take a rest day in between walk/run days. Is there a specific food to eat before or afterwards that will help your muscles and all to recover faster?

For muscle recovery, drink some low fat chocolate milk, however, for sore shins and knees, this is probably not a recovery issue (or at least one you want to have.)

Take a rest day or two and let them heal. Then slow down, make sure your runs are comfortable and feet land underneath you. Pushing too hard, too soon, and over-striding are the fastest way to an injury. As you develop the aerobic, muscle and skeletal adaptations to support running, you will also get faster naturally without risking injury.

You will develop your running much faster by running slower, avoiding injury while your body adapts.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I'd also suggest that you not try minimal shoes unless recommended by the running store where you get fitted for good shoes for you. I know people who love their Vibrams, but when I tried minimalist shoes it was instant shin splints.

Good luck with C25k!

Bad advice. I would recommend either completely barefoot or cheap water shoes from Walmart. If you are running with proper form and landing on the balls of your feet you will not get shin splits. Shin splints are usually caused by landing on your heels. When running completely barefoot, you will no land on your heels.

Also the US military studied motion control shoue and properly fitting soldiers with the correct shoe. As a control group they randomly gave the control group shoes. The soldiers who were properly fitted HD a higher injury rate. Google will find the report for you.

Good luck and take it slow. Learn proper form. Never let your feet get in front of you.
  • michellecrance
    michellecrance Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "Sounds like you have some endurance built up already! I can only last for 30 seconds jogging and then spend 4 1/2 mins walking! I just got back from my walk/run tonight and my knees are hurting! I'm hoping this gets easier and that my legs will get to where they don't hurt while and/or after my run."
    [/quote]

Seriously it took me 16:33 to finish the mile! I felt like the most pathetic person on EARTH!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Good luck with C25k!

Bad advice. I would recommend either completely barefoot or cheap water shoes from Walmart. If you are running with proper form and landing on the balls of your feet you will not get shin splits. Shin splints are usually caused by landing on your heels. When running completely barefoot, you will no land on your heels.

Also the US military studied motion control shoue and properly fitting soldiers with the correct shoe. As a control group they randomly gave the control group shoes. The soldiers who were properly fitted HD a higher injury rate. Google will find the report for you.

Good luck and take it slow. Learn proper form. Never let your feet get in front of you.

We can agree on form.

The study, however. only looked at foot shape (i.e. arch type), not foot motion (over pronation/suppination), as noted in the study summary. Further it has nothing to do with testing the efficacy of barefoot. minimalist or cheap water shoes vs. shoes made for running, but only the "support" level of one standard running shoe vs. another. Drawing any conclusion other than arch type is not important for the fit a running shoe would be an epic miss of what the study concluded. Taking it to the point of saying actual running shoes are not important is irresponsible.

Minimalist/Barefoot, that is a personal choice, it works for some, not others. Not sure I would recommend it to a beginner that is just experiencing shin splits for the first time, unless they have a personal reason for wanting to run barefoot.