Forced flu shot at work

Options
12skipafew99100
12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
My hospital is demanding that everyone take the flu shot this year. You will be fired unless you have a Dr. Note or religous conviction. How would you feel about this at your work place?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    If they paid for it, nuetral
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it. If you chose to work in a hospital than you should do everything you can to not get sick and spread illness. If you don't want to follow those rules, go into home healthcare were you can be your own boss.
  • miss_rierie
    Options
    A huge part of me says "BUT IT'S YOUR CHOICE!!!!" But, at the same time, if you work in hospital... You're dealing with already sick people, and don't want to pass anything along to them -- you're also exposed to it much more than most people, and hospitals are (usually) under-staffed as it is.

In MY workplace, I'd be pretty pissed. In yours, I can understand the reasoning.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    All of a sudden, it would be against my religion to get a flu shot.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Yay! Free flu shot! I worked at a hospital for years, I had no problems with that other than that they stupidly moved Employee Health off the main hospital campus and down a few blocks. Not exactly convenient when you got hurt at work.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If it were me at my workplace - I would refuse and refuse with a dr cert, although in saying that my dr thinks I can catch every disease from my workplace (I'm a vet microbiology tech). Everytime I go there he is wondering if my illness is related to working with bacteria. Unless I eat it, I am positive it didn't come from work! We did get free flu vax, and I chose not to get it. Seriously, I've had it twice and both times I have had the worst cold I've ever had. I do get the elderly or sick having them though as it may make their colds milder.

Hospital setting - I see why they give it to you, but the problem is it doesn't cover every single flu out there. You may have it, but then catch an uncovered flu strain. Really the decision is yours, I don't like the idea of it being forced but I guess they see it as a way of weeding out some illnesses. But everytime I've been to the ED or Dr I am more concerned about getting gastro than a cold.

I did take the Q Fever and whooping cough vaccinations as that covers what it states.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I get the flu shot for free at my work, it's not mandatory but it's a hell of a lot better than getting the flu! Plus my mom has a weakened immune system (like I imagine some of your patients do) and can't get the shot so I'd feel pretty bad if I got the flu and passed it along to her. The flu to me is annoying - the flu to her would probably require a visit to the hospital. So all around it's a benefit to all.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would refuse on ground of faith and on medical grounds.
  • MarthaRN
    MarthaRN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My hospital is making it mandatory this year too. I usually get it but it stinks that they are making it mandatory. It sucks having coworkers call out for a week with the flu but I hate them making us take it. I will wait until the last minute to get it.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It would piss me off. I never take the flu shot and I've never gotten the flu yet. However, I know plenty of people who took it and got sick from the shot and got the flu anyway. I don't believe an employer should be able to force you to put anything you don't want into your body.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Nope. I very much do not believe in them and would absolutely refuse, I would not use religious reasons, when they fired me, I'd sue their *kitten* off their freaking faces. (obviously, I feel very strongly about ths).
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My hospital is making it mandatory this year too. I usually get it but it stinks that they are making it mandatory. It sucks having coworkers call out for a week with the flu but I hate them making us take it. I will wait until the last minute to get it.
    same. I've never had it and don't it being forced. We do have the option of wearing a mask at all times. Not sure how realistic that is. ... I'll wait it out & see ...
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it. If you chose to work in a hospital than you should do everything you can to not get sick and spread illness. If you don't want to follow those rules, go into home healthcare were you can be your own boss.

Yes I see what you mean but I work in an office away from patients.
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    If you work around the elderly, infants or immune compromised people get the shot, if you don't want to, quit or get fired. People go to the hospital to get better, not get sicker because someone working there refuses to not spread a potentially lethal virus. Worked in healthcare long? Doesn't seem like it if your unwilling to do everything you can to keep yourself and your patients well.
  • alovesopure
    Options
    My hospital is demanding that everyone take the flu shot this year. You will be fired unless you have a Dr. Note or religous conviction. How would you feel about this at your work place?

Really? I work at a hospital and it's not a demand here.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    hallelujah, praise the lord, I found jesus! And jesus told me to just say no the flu shot. I'm pretty sure demanding it is a violation of something and I'll be truly surprised if they don't get sued over it.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    tell them you're allergic to chicken eggs & they can't make you get it (the vaccine is cultured using eggs). i had mine at work last week and had the wicked butt flu for 2 days, had to leave work early and was out the day after......... picture that scene from Bridesmaids where all the girls are sweating profusely and then explode from food poisoning........... ya, that was me, right after that damn flu shot. I also work in a hospital and it is highly encouraged, but you can sign a waiver and decline it....... unless you're allergic to eggs........hint hint
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    If you work around the elderly, infants or immune compromised people get the shot, if you don't want to, quit or get fired. People go to the hospital to get better, not get sicker because someone working there refuses to not spread a potentially lethal virus. Worked in healthcare long? Doesn't seem like it if your unwilling to do everything you can to keep yourself and your patients well.

Proper handwashing and universal procautions will protect you and your patients........ you're more likely to pick it up at the grocery store and transfer it to your family than you are to and from @ work..... as long as you are practicing what you are supposed to be.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    its a good idea to get it WHEN YOU WORK AT A HOSPITAL....jeez realy, come on now use ur head
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Even if you work in an office of the hospital, you're indirectly in contact. What's the big deal? It doesn't do anything to you and it's free. I thought working in a hospital would make you less superstitious about preventative measures.