Pet Peeves at the Gym

Options

Replies

• CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    People using a machine I want to get on texting their friends between their sets instead of GETTING ON WITH IT !!! :grumble: :mad: :explode:

I do this. I take 3-5 minutes of rest between sets. If I walk away, some curlbro will take my rack to do moar curls.

Yeah well..... just stop in would ya!?!?! You're driving me insane :explode:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    People talking on their phones. Drives me nuts!

yep, annoys me too. i don't want to hear their inane conversations when i'm the ellyptical. it's also against the rules of the gym, but people seem to completely ignore the signs all over the place telling them not to do it. :explode:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    It also annoys me when the staff of the gym decides to shut the lights off 10 minutes before closing. I got in a screaming fight with them over that.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    When there are ten EMPTY treadmills and someone ALWAYS has to climb on the one RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!! UGH!

Yes!! It's like they're purposely trying to annoy the hell out of you:explode:

I got a chuckle out of this one. At my gym we have 12 treadmills and 2 of them are right under fans / ac grate so i always go for the ones right in that area. I dont care if the rest are open...im sure it annoys ppl but, i have a purpose.

Other things that irk me at the gym are.....people who want to sit on a machine and chit chat. , or talk on their cell. I mean really cant you leave it in the car and go an hour with out it??

Also people who wear sunglasses in the gym...why?
  • megan73092
    Options
    How about after the person has been in the steam room for a while then comes out and gets right into the pool where your at without showering first (even tho there are signs everywhere.)

Happened to me yesterday, the guy keot doing it again and again. EW lol.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

Overweight people in skimpy or tight clothing

Oi! We do that so we can see how much weight we are losing - it's a well known form of motivation!

I am over weight and i do try to wear the form fitting clothes now that i have lost weight. I just dont feel comfortable any more inthe baggy shorts and tshirt. But, i do realize just because it comes in my size it doesent mean i should wear it. Some dont realize that and they go much smaller than they should.
  • TheRealMrsMetro
    TheRealMrsMetro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When there are ten EMPTY treadmills and someone ALWAYS has to climb on the one RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!!! UGH!

This drivies me crazy:mad: especially when they over do it on the perfume and after shave or whatever they have on..just make me want to gag:sick:
    We must work out at the same gym! It literally makes me sick when someone is wearing an entire bottle of cologne, perfume, or even worse-AXE, then gets on the treadmill next to me. This is why I started running outside. Car exhaust smells better than cheap cologne or Axe anyday!
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I try to resist getting annoyed as much as I am able...having said that...there is a guy who is on the same gym schedule as me that wears a giant pair of DJ headphones while he works out and I can literally hear the music from his headphones over my headphones.

When I lift I turn it into an aerobic workout, no more than 30 seconds in between moves. So I get a little annoyed when 2 guys can spend 20 to 30 minutes in the squat rack. My gym only has 2 :(
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    People using a power rack for curls or let-me-ups or rows ffs

What if I use the Smiths machine? :runs:

Take that smith machine. I'll never need it. ;)
  • LiftHuff
    Options
    When I lift I turn it into an aerobic workout, no more than 30 seconds in between moves. So I get a little annoyed when 2 guys can spend 20 to 30 minutes in the squat rack. My gym only has 2 :(

This seems to be the core of a lot of the issues; limited equipment and different training cultures collide to make things ... difficult.

I do only 3 compound movements per workout, anywhere between 5-8 sets per compound including warm-ups. 3-5 minutes between work sets. If I do a squat/bench day, I'll have a rack tied up for over an hour. But I'm always more than happy to let anyone else work in who wants to.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    When somebody's using a piece of equipment and then takes a 10 minute rest between sets to send text messages or take pictures of themselves in the mirror. Drives me crazy!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I am working out with my trainer and people suddenly think it's ok to just come up start chatting/asking questions/having him adjust equipment for him.

I swear, when I drop something on my head one day or get injured because they are distracting him, that is so going to be that persons last day in the gym.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

This drivies me crazy:mad: especially when they over do it on the perfume and after shave or whatever they have on..just make me want to gag:sick:
    We must work out at the same gym! It literally makes me sick when someone is wearing an entire bottle of cologne, perfume, or even worse-AXE, then gets on the treadmill next to me. This is why I started running outside. Car exhaust smells better than cheap cologne or Axe anyday!

At least you don't have MR. B.O. at your gym!! OMG this one guy stinks so bad you can smell him coming and going. He practically clears the place out. I swear he smells so bad it makes my eyes water. I think he stinks on purpose so that when he needs a machine you'll gladly get off of it just to get away from him stench.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This thread has pretty much all the reasons I quit my gym and built my own in my garage. Much better now. No distractions or irritations. :)
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    All the above, and our community gym I go to is small.

Not enough equipment for the size of the community.

When I get there all ready to workout and it is crowded and all the (2) elliptical machines are taken. All the treadmills are filled.

When I get there and the only good working elliptical machine is taken.

When it is crowded on the machines and they stay on for over 30-60 mins.

The girly weights are in the aerobic room and not allowed to use them when class in session. There is no 8 - 10lb weights in the weight lift room. (just started lifting, so I am not up to 15+ lbs yet)
  • loachee
    loachee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    lol...ditto
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    People who leave a mess in the showers. I can't stand the showers in my gym. If you can get the shower to work at all your usually standing in 2 inches of scum because everyone leaves their gunk in the drain. GROSS!!!!!! I've seen pads floating in some stalls!! Women can be pigs!

^^^ This, tho not quite so bad. I love my gym, they keep it up and well maintained and as clean as possible --- but I know for a fact that we ALL pay to be there - no one is on scholarship. So WTF is up with acting like a 4 year-old? Put your crap away when you're done; throw your trash in any one of the dozens of cans for the purpose; don't drop that 50lb bar... it's not like you just cleaned twice your weight; don't leave your luggage size gym bag in the middle of everything; don't make me listen to YOUR headphones, turn that *kitten* down; treat the staff with respect - they are not your servants. Do you act this way at home? Would you act this way if your mother was standing there???
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

This ^^^....I've just joined a new gym that opens 24/7 so is usually pretty quiet. Only problem is most of the treadmills are in two rows that face each other. No matter how empty it is, out of the 20+ treadmills someone HAS to get on the one in front of me. Nothing better than staring in a strangers eyes when your working out :grumble:
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    When people clean the equipment before they use it but not after and just walk away! Drives me nuts!
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    nothing to really bothers me, because i have on my headphone and im in my own world. The one thing that does bother me is people who leave sweat on the machines and also people who stank lol... i can't stand grown *kitten* people who stink, theres no excuse...NONE..

get Degree... its body heat activated lol

oh, another thing i notice, it doesnt bother me, but it weird that some people work out in regular cloths, like this one dudes works out every saturday in blue jeans and a white tee, then just leaves no shower or change of cloths, he just leaves.

I do see people in street clothes sometimes and I feel overheated just looking at them. I need all those special fabrics that help you to stay cool. But I figure they're probably on a budget and at least they are getting their workout in!

I never shower at the gym if I can possibly avoid it. Nearly always go back home and shower there. (And no, I don't use the pool, so don't worry!)

its different when u leave without showering in work out cloths, but if u leave without changing or showering when u are wearing street cloths, that a whole nother level of funk .. "whole nother Level" lmao

Let's just hope they are not going back to work ... :sick: