Forced flu shot at work

Options

Replies

• AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In MY workplace, I'd be pretty pissed. In yours, I can understand the reasoning.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You work at a hospital? Yes, it is reasonable. If you have a low grade infection, you are putting the patients at risk.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have never had a flu shot and I can't recall the last time I've had the flu honestly. I would not want to take a flu shot. Why mess with the track record I have? I must be doing something alright in taking care of myself. I'd claim religious exemption.

I was down for 29 days last Jan/Feburary. Trust me, if you can take steps to avoid that nasty bugger, definitely do it. I'm getting my flu shot as soon as I can afford it.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue since you're in a hospital. If my M&A company did it I might be a little upset.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Flu shots will NOT prevent you from getting sick. However, every time you get one, you reduce the risk of getting killed by the virus. The first time you get it, you decrease the risk of death by 50%. Each shot after that, the percent increases.

My opinion?

Get the damn shot.
  • snowyd20
    Options
    So, the forced flu shot thing is going to be Federally mandated by the CDC starting next year! Medicaid and Medicare are jumping on board and will actually withhold payment up to 2% if a certain percentage of hosptial employees have not had the flu shot by 12/31.
    2% is a lot of money for any hospital, especially from Medicare which is typically the highest payor for any institution.

Just FYI.....
  • agentscully514
    Options
    I have never had a flu shot and I can't recall the last time I've had the flu honestly. I would not want to take a flu shot. Why mess with the track record I have? I must be doing something alright in taking care of myself. I'd claim religious exemption.

I was down for 29 days last Jan/Feburary. Trust me, if you can take steps to avoid that nasty bugger, definitely do it. I'm getting my flu shot as soon as I can afford it.

completely agreed. I was one of the earliest cases of H1N1. I was down for two weeks, followed by 6 weeks of postviral fatigue syndrome. In the end it cost me my job (because I couldn't keep up with deadlines during a critical time). GET THE SHOT.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    My sister had a kidney transplant two years ago-flu shots are mandatory for everyone in our family. Hospitals are full of sick people, otherwise they wouldn't be there. It only makes sense for them to help protect themselves and their employees. Wouldn't bother me one bit!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    against flu shots.

Ditto. I would take the mask or whatever I had to do. I've never had the flu and I've never gotten a flu shot. As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I usually get the flu shot. I used to work in a hospital. 2 years ago, I was not working and just completely forgot about it. I did get the flu that winter. Exactly 6 days after a plane trip! I was down, bedridden for 8 days. It was 3 Weeks before I could say I started to feel normal, and able to keep a whole meal down. Trust me, get the flu shot!!
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    been dealing with this for years, don't want to get sick with all the exposure
  • snowyd20
    Options
    So, the forced flu shot thing is going to be Federally mandated by the CDC starting next year! Medicaid and Medicare are jumping on board and will actually withhold payment up to 2% if a certain percentage of hosptial employees have not had the flu shot by 12/31.
    2% is a lot of money for any hospital, especially from Medicare which is typically the highest payor for any institution.

Just FYI.....
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If they paid for it, nuetral

^^ This. As long as there are exceptions for medical/religious reasons. I assume they are doing it for the safety of not just me, but others as well.

And, honestly, I would prefer to go to a hospital where I know all of the employees had a flu shot.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I would fight it. Violation of your human rights. Plus I am a believer that flu shots contribute to these super flu's that keep killing people. (along with people taking only half of their prescriptions)

It's simple really....If you do get sick, don't go to work...sick people going to work is how others get sick. Do us all a favour and stay home!

I MIGHT consider getting the shot for the health benefits but it would have to be a decision made by me personally and NOT something I am forced to do. I was never a huge fan of forced vaccinations.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My hospital is demanding that everyone take the flu shot this year. You will be fired unless you have a Dr. Note or religous conviction. How would you feel about this at your work place?

I have always gotten the flu shot every year ESPECIALLY when working in the health field. Now that I have MS I would never miss the shot. If i were to get the flu now it would mean really bad things long term for my health beyond what the flu itself would do to me.
    Personally I don't see why you wouldn't get the flu shot unless you were allergic to one of the ingredients. It protects you and if you don't get the flu then you can't pass it onto someone else. So you're protecting yourself, your family, your coworkers and your patients.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    against flu shots.

Ditto. I would take the mask or whatever I had to do. I've never had the flu and I've never gotten a flu shot. As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

as long as you're willing to wear the mask, fine with me.
    by the way, wearing the mask really really sucks.

Lucky you that you never had it. It doesn't mean you're magically immune.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    I'd tell them to kiss my *kitten*. It is body. I am 31 and NEVER ever got a flu shot. My choice.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    THIS...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    I had that when I worked for an OB/Gyn and honestly I'm glad that the policy is in place. The last thing I needed to do was to get patients sick.

That being said, since then I will forever have a doctor's note on file for why I can't get the flu vaccination. So I can't actually be forced into anything. But still, to think that someone who is working around the sick all day isn't vaccinated? I would really be happy with being around them. Even if you're not entirely client facing... they can't make it mandatory for only some employees. And you could give the flu to a coworker to give to a coworker, etc.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My hospital is demanding that everyone take the flu shot this year. You will be fired unless you have a Dr. Note or religous conviction. How would you feel about this at your work place?

At my work place, in an office area, I'd tell them to go stuff it. But I work in an office and if I get the flu I just work from home until I get better. I've also had maybe two bouts with the flu in my adult life and I've never had a single flu shot my entire life. But when I'm sick, the point is that I have the option of not exposing others to it while still remaining productive.

However, if I worked in a hospital (or in another area where I am constantly exposed to patients with illnesses and patients with compromised immune systems), I'd probably take the shot as a job-related precaution to protect my customers.