First Round P90X-ers

Options

Replies

• melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello...Posting to keep the thread...Doing P90X after ChaLean Extreme....

Thanks!:heart:

What is ChaLean Extreme like?

Funny...I don't know lol....I just recieved it....Her whole thing is that "muscle burns fat" and encourages heavier lifting in combo with cardio, and claims to burn a ton of fat........We'll see.....I joined the ChaLean thread, and the ladies there say it is a great program, and I nice "pregame" to P90X.....
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It looks like your sad faces at the beginning really did the trick!!! This is one of the longest threads I've seen.
    Anyway, I started P90X on January 2, and I planned on doing two complete rounds of it before my wedding on July 3. HOWEVER, after 23 days, my fiance decided that he was ready to start back up (he had been sick and had stopped after three workouts), so I started over this past Monday.
    My experience has been mostly positive with this program. I don't follow the diet guide, simply because my fiance doesn't eat very many different things, and I don't want to cook twice. So I just watch my calories, protein, and fat and do the workouts.
    My first week was hellish! I'm doing the classic program, and I couldn't even do one pullup. My pushups were all from the knees, not the feet. I was so sore after day one that the first thing I said when I woke up on day 2 was, "Oh ****, I can't move!" I honestly was sore from my head to my hips. That day, I was supposed to do plyo, but I did Cardio instead due to time contraints (I'm a cheerleading coach and had a practice and a game that day, didn't get home till 8). I was holding back puke on that one. I couldn't believe it when day 3 came around and I had to do more arm work! Luckily there were no pullups, but the pushups almost did me in. Yoga kicked my *kitten* (got through 40 minutes the first try). I enjoyed the legs and back but again almost puked. Kenpo is one of my favorites. As a former cheerleader and dancer, I'm very coordinated, but I can completely see how "uncoordinated" people would have trouble with it.
    I am technically on day 5 today, since I started over, but my actual 30 day photos, measurements, and weigh-in will be Sunday! I can't wait to see the differences!!!!
  • haleysman
    Options
    i need some p90x support, having a hard time staying on track, so far only completed 10 days of workouts in just over 2 weeks....time is a problem, need friends to keep me accountable and make sure i'm staying on task, add me and stay on me please
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Regarding the HRMs and resistance exercises, an HRM won't accurately tell you how many calories you've burned because you're not exerting yourself aerobically. Weight lifting is anaerobic exercise (doesn't use oxygen, for simplicity's sake) so the calories are being burned differently. An HRM assumes that a fast pumping heart is burning more.

Choco, get a set of resistance bands. A bunch of the workouts do require some sort of "pull up/down" resistance and there's no other good substitute (unless you hang upside down and lift dumbbells that way, but that's just ridiculous ;)). If you don't pick up a pull-up bar, then look for the bands that include a special wedge -- that will brace in a doorway through which the band feeds.

Mojo, take the discs with you. That way, you still have the OPTION to do the exercises if you find the time and energy. Depending on where you are currently, a week missed could be significant but that still depends on you and how quickly you progress. Walking and chasing after kids is tiring, yes, but also considering the sheer spread of junk food all over the place at Disney, it might be worthwhile to just have them on hand in case you feel the need for them.

As a tip for everyone else, if you find a particular exercise or set of exercises easy, increase the intensity -- more weight or more reps. As a rule, if you feel wiped out and all noodley at the end of the session, that's the level of "Bring It" that Tony means. Over the course of the last 25 weeks, I've been slowly increasing the weight for each exercise. My bicep curls started with 8-10 reps of 15 lbs., but I'm up to 25 lbs. now. My lawnmowers started at 40 lbs., but I've maxed out the Bowflex Selectechs I'm using at 52.5 (and I'm considering going to buy a 60 lb-er just for that exercise).

Besides, as you increase the reps and weights, think of how kick-*kitten* you'll feel!
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread b/c i plan on beginning P90X on Monday and would love the support. I've hit my goal weight but would like to tone and was told P90X would be a great way to do this. Based on the little bit that I've read of the book (plan to finish reading up before next wk) it looks like the classic version may be my best bet to accomplish my goal (toning/definition), what do others think?

Classic is great!! You still get the cardio you need, but half of the days are weight training. Go for it!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just checking in on ya'll over here. SOunds like everyone is getting into the swing of the X!

I am in round 2 & have used bands for all of the pull-ups. There is a door attachment you can use. I am lucky to have a heavy bag stand in my workout room & I attach it to that. You need to attach it way higher than your head when in sitting position. You want it to at least mimick a pull-up movement. Ladies don't dismiss the pull-ups & push-ups...they will help tone "muffin tops" & your core. They don't just benefit men! And fyi...on Legs & Back day, I do ABX 1st. My legs just don't cooperate as well if I do it afterwards.

Personally when my husband or I travel we take p90x w/us. If we have to, we just at least bring the book that spells out the exercises & follow along in the hotel gym. We even brought a whole set of weights w/us in the car last summer so we could continue on our family vacation (no hotal gym). That's just us.

Also to the ladies...lift heavy! as heavy as you can. You will not bulk up. My legs & arms have never been so small (yet also toned). I've had bulky legs my whole life from running track, gymnastics, cheering, etc...I am LOVING those little skinny jeans so popular right now. NEVER did i think i could wear such a thing. Chalean's program follows the same concept as p90x--muscle confusion & muscle fatigue. Look at Chalean. SHe's got a great body. SHe is queen of going heavy.

For anyone not following the nutrition guide, please follow it as best you can. The guide can teach you things about yourself & your body that will follow you long after p90x is done. That's one of the reasons I say p90x changed my LIFE (not just my body).

Great job everyone!!!!!!! Getting through month 1 can be tough since its all so new. Keep it up! :happy:
  • skuhbacher
    Options
    I would love to join! I probably won't start until next week...I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail! I'm SUPER excited!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Hey BiloxiBelle! Thanks for stopping by! Good call on doing ARX first on L&B day. Those bicycles are HARD to do after Legs & Back!! My butt and legs are my biggest complaint. They just won't seem to firm up!!!!! :grumble: The fat just won't go away! :angry: I really want to slim down in my butt, thighs, and even calves!! :explode: :explode: Whew! Glad to get that off my chest! :wink:
  • wajp5f
    wajp5f Posts: 2
    Options
    I make a protein shake every morning with berries, yogurt, a scoop or vanilla protein mix, and some milk. It's fast, easy and you get a lot of protein from the protein mix. Good luck!
  • haleysman
    Options
    Hey BiloxiBelle! Thanks for stopping by! Good call on doing ARX first on L&B day. Those bicycles are HARD to do after Legs & Back!!

whew i thought it was just me that had that problem...lol...last week i actually did arx on day 6 and then kenpo in afternoon/evening bc i couldn't even do the arx after l & b...

i actually have a hard time with yoga as well, just don't have a 90 minute block of time in my day, so i break it up into a morning and afternoon session, after about 1/2 way through i call it quits, then in afternoon i restart dvd to do the warm up and then ff up to the point i left off
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I did p90x before but it was awhile back, so I'm feeling it! I love being sore because I know I pushed myself, but man it is frustrating especially when I have to work.

Any good suggestions for getting enough protein in the AM? I eat omelets quite a bit but i would like something else to mix in there.

Protein Pancakes are a great option.
    1/4 cup egg whites
    1 cup of Quaker Oats
    1-2 scoops of vanilla protein powder
    dash of vanilla
    1/2 chopped apple.

Mix all in bowl and then cook one side until firm enough to flip and repeat!

Make sure you have some water with them though, they are DRY!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I took the good advice to do ARX before L&B and that worked out great! I also decided to pause between each of the exercises for 30 seconds, and that really helped my form. I cannot get those reverse bicycles down no matter how hard I try. I can't seem to even make my legs make a circle!

I plan to increase my intensity with heavier weights, but I have to buy them first! LOL. Hoping to do that tonight!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Freak - that is a good idea - I'll try that tomorrow! I just did 45 minutes of Yoga (time constraint - husband arriving back from business trip and want to pick him up at airport). Man, it was tough, but in a good way. I know my hammies are going to screaming at me tomorrow tho!
  • myfitz4life
    myfitz4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am glad you started this thread. I am on my first round of p90x. I just finished day 5. I am not doing the supplements, but I am trying to stick with the 50-30-20 eating plan. I always go over my fat..gotta work on that!
  • carpediem13
    carpediem13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Whew...Yoga (X style) going to be the downfall for me. That was crazy I hope I'm able to do have those things by the time 90 days are over. First off I think I'll have more success when I'm not worrying about falling over due to the mat I'm on. My mom got me these great foam puzzle pieces for Christmas. Only problem is...any position (meaning all of them) that involves stretching out and pushing your feet in opposite directions splits apart the mat and my pose. Anyway I was happy that I kept going for an hour and a half. Now I just have to work on getting a mat.

Jeez this P90X thing is getting expensive. Good thing it means a healthier better me. I bought my new weights today and the two 8's were 12$ each! So I bought a heavy stretch band that I figure I can use for both 12's and 15's. Now I just need to find a place to hook it above so when I get to reverse pull ups I can do them....

Lots to think about but hey it's good stuff to think about! Glad there are more people on this thread. I'd love to hear what other people think of some of the different days. I was hurting the first two but nothing too horrible and today I was really limber. We'll see about tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
  • haleysman
    Options
    not going to look through all 4 pages to see who said it, but whoever had the idea of ARX first and L & B 2nd, i commend you, i did the whole ARX with no problems today...also whoever said no shoes on ARX another good idea...lastly the 30 sec break in between exercises during ARX excellent recommendation...to all of you bright minds out there thank you for a successful ARX session
  • tattoodfreek
    Options
    Back at it today after my rest day yesterday! I almost hated to take it, but my one knee needed a break. It feels back to normal today, so I am glad that I did. Today was core. Those darn rolling to stand up things, (can't remember what they are called). OMG. I cannot EVER get up from one, no matter how hard I push off with my arms. I always get stuck!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    dreya rolls - and yeah, my big fat belly gets in the way!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Dreya Rolls :heart: em! I think they're fun! Superman - Banana is my favorite! I think Core is my favorite workout so far. Although I AM feeling L&B from yesterday and liking that too! Kenpo tonight - another favorite LOL - Rest day tomorrow and then I am in Recovery!! I can hardly believe I am almost done with Phase 1!

I know what you mean about almost hating your rest day. I haven't even gotten to do the XStretch because I have school til 10pm on my rest day.

So, what's going on with your knee? Do you usually have problems with it?
  • tattoodfreek
    Options
    I would probably think that they are fun, if I could get up from them! Anything core and push up related is what I struggle with. That's due to a recent pregnancy. A time during which I did NOTHING. I love Kenpo too! I can kick high and punch all day long.

My knee bothers me on and off. It's my left that's the real problem. My right will get tender if I do too much, but my left will shriek in pain if I even try to walk up and down the steps and bend it at times. I did L&B/abs and Zumba on one day, the next I did Kenpo. It was bothering me horribly during the workouts, so I was being cautious on that side, and being careful not to extend my knee over my ankle. Well, after the workout, I picked up the baby, sat down on the couch to feed her, and as I was sitting down, something just popped in that knee and I could hardly put any weight on it the rest of the day. That was Saturday. So yesterday, I did my scheduled rest day- no stretch or anything, and today it feels 99% better. Did not even bother me during the workout.